Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you consider the Ponies sapient minded?

Bendy

Would you consider the Ponies sapient minded?  

41 users have voted

1. 1. Would you consider the Ponies sapient minded?

• Sapient Minded
    • Non sapient, animal level of intelligence.

Would you consider the Ponies sapient? 

I personally think the evidence is crystal clear that they are sapient minded. But I've seen a few others think they aren't sapient with only a mere animal level of intelligence, you know the ones I mean...

What is a sapient? A life form with the same level or higher intelligence like a Human and they like to build stuff. 

Examples of sapient life in fictional media; Krogans, Turians, Omicronians.

Yes, they are a cartoon! But if they are "real" either through insanity or mutlverse theory, Human In Equestria blah blah blah, means you should treat them nicely and give them the same rights as you would a fellow Human. Including stop being a cruel xenophobe if a Pony and Human want to marry, or a Krogan and a Pony, or even an Omicronian and a Pony.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 3

Hahaha, real through insanity :P I love it :D! Maybe we are only real through Pinkies insanity hehe!

They build stuff, they solve problems, they have a government, they invest things similar to our technology, I would say that are basically sapient minded.

• Brohoof 2

Yes they are

But it wouldnt be good if they were considered equals by humans since that will probably result in a war of genocyde.

Since humanity wouldnt allow another intelligent species in the world

The answer is an obvious yes, the ponies are so human like that it can sometimes be a bit difficult to remember that they are technically not human. I think this is why so many people have crushes and attractions to some of the ponies, I never thought in a million years that my strongest fictional crush would be a talking pony but it happened. 

• Brohoof 2

I definitely do consider them sapient-minded. If they weren't, they wouldn't be able to talk or think and act like humans. Sapient-minded animals are such a common element in fiction though that I don't even really pay much mind to it.

• Brohoof 1

Your threads are always interesting in a weird way, Rush. :lol:

Anyway, I'd say the ponies are sapient. They were able to build their towns and cities. They are intelligent and crafty.

• Brohoof 1

There isn't actually any question about it. They have never been depicted as anything else except sapient. They have a spoken language. They build advanced machinery. They print books. They have motion pictures. I don't know why you would even ask the question. You may as well have asked "Do you think ponies can walk?"

No offense, but this is such a dumb question...of course they are sapient minded...

I would treat them with the same respect I would treat any human. And I would have no problem dating Dashie, I don't care that she's a pony.

• Brohoof 3

Yep, they are sapient. Without a doubt.
I mean, personality, emotional and intelligence wise, they're the same as us, but in small, equine bodies. 

I'd probably even go as far as saying that I'd treat them better and with more respect than I do other humans. They're in no way some kind of animal species or below humans at all.
And, I'm totally open to a relationship with a pony. What I wouldn't give to be with Vinyl :3  

Edited by Apocalyptic_Unicorn
  • Brohoof 2

You know, I knew this thread was yours the minute I came here rush :P. I either know you to well, or you just make a lot of threads involving comparing humans to ponies :P.

Anyways, I think it's pretty obvious the ponies are sapient, not just in their realm of existence, where they are among the smartest if not smartest, and mostly dominant race present.

They are also highly intelligent in being able to speak, aswell as the fact they posses a good bit of knowledge, especially ones like twilight or celestia.

Plus I imagine magic takes a good bit of knowledge to learn and use.

Then they also build stuff, obviously their houses don't just appear out of nowhere.

If you want an example of them building.. Well just take how many times the apples have built the barn over :P.

Not to mention the cmc building that float.

And every other invention and object has to have come from somewhere, which is most likely ponies.

So yeah, between that and the fact they just act like humans do generally in many ways, and do many of the same things, share many of the same buildings and inventions.

They even apparently have civilized bathrooms, and I'm pretty sure if they had animal level intelligence they'd just go to the bathroom outside, you know like animals.

So yeah, need I go on?

I think to say they have animal level intelligence, or aren't sapient is a very low intelligence remark, I'd love to see the rubutal from someone saying that they aren't sapient minded.

So yes, honestly they share many characteristics and traits of humans they may resemble animals, but are basically like humans.

As far as xenophobia goes when you really think about it its basically the same as if a Krogan and a human Marry or any other two sapient beings.

Sure it's a bit weird at first to think you'd be marrying(and I suppose sleeping with Since they are mammals as humans and real ponies are) something resembling an animal, but again they don't really do any animalistic things and share hardly any animalistic traits in the first place.

Of course they're not technically real as far as we know, but assuming they where it while odd at first isn't really that much different then any other sapient marriages.

• Brohoof 4

I don't think anybody questions the sentience of G4 ponies.  They're capable of reasoning, abstract thought, determining right and wrong, and anything else mankind can do mentally.  And I would say that the G1 ponies are sapient as well.  The difference with the G1 ponies is that most of them have childlike minds and, apparently, a lower IQ than G4 ponies or adult humans.  That's why they depend on Megan so much when they get in a jam. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 1

Sapient, plain and simple, through and through. As has been said before, this isn't really debateable; The ponies are, by definition, fully sapient. No wiggle room in this one.

And whilst I do agree they would most certainly deserve equal treatment provided humanity ever came across them... let's face it, we wouldn't give them that care. They'd be viewed as animals and be treated as inferior. Sad, but true.

Humanity's just perfect, ain't it?

So yeah, there's my two bits.

I'm trying to wrap my head around why this is even being brought up, of course they're sapient. They are basically us except they have magic on top of everything else. They have civilizations for bucking sake. 

well I would love to bs this one,

So i'm going to.

ever think the reason why so many ponies are mentally bent is because maybe they are inferior to us?

Maybe the anxiety (this is pure bs and propaganda LOL bear with me)

is because of an inferior mind?

Ponies mimic human behavior in a lot of ways. It's no doubt they are sapient because they are able to show clear intelligence and decide between right and wrong.

.... thank you ^^.

I would argue their inferior minded because (Wait for it)

ponies lack the mental capacity to make the wrong choice on purpose.

Sunset shimmer even tried to justify she wasn't a monster.

trixie didn't become evil with out the alicorn amulet.

Sombre soul and mind are likely so polluted because of dark magic he likely was on a slippery slope before he became a tyrant.

I mean seriously there is no pony that is of decenting opinion on queen celestial.  (now that sombre's dead).

if Jesus or God himself came to earth, and proved their divinity beyond any and all shadow of doubt, you'd still have people who wouldn't like them.  Hum....I think i might have shot my own foot off with this bat shit argument LOL,

Do you think the ponies inherit ability to simply accept celestial makes them smarter?

• 2 months later...

Sentience is basic self-awareness, knowledge that there is a "me" who is distinct from the rest of the world.  Arguably, most avians and mammals, and possibly some reptiles and archosaurs, are this smart.

Sapience is awareness of awareness, the recursive ability to think about thinking and thus to choose to think, to consciously reason as opposed to merely thinking in response to one's environment.  Arguably, numerous avians and mammals, including but not limited to many corvids (crows etc.), psittacines (parrots etc.), primates (apes, etc.), proboscideans (elephants), ceteceans (dolphins, whales) are sapient, though few of these to the degree of humanity.  This is hinted at by various kinds of animal cognitive testing and observed behaviors in the wild.

If we encountered a species which had a fully-syntactical language; a complex economy including contracts and long-distance trade; built houses, cities, steam engines, railroads, wagons, farms and factories and mines; and created fine arts and literature, only the most arrogant sort of humanocentrism (*) would enable us to argue they were non-sapient.  So the Ponies are most definitely sapient, and probably around as intelligent as human beings.

The Mane Six, of course, would range in human terms from high normal (Rainbow Dash) to supergenius (Twilight Sparkle) cognitive levels.  The combination of intelligence and millennial experience possessed by entities such as Celestia and Luna would probably be beyond our ability to measure, since all the human analogs would be with mythical beings such as Athena or Artemis.

So yes.  They're sapient.

===

(*) Which, unortunately, humans frequently display in regards to non-humans.

• Brohoof 1

Sapience does not require human-or-greater intelligence or a fondness for building things. Computers are technically smarter than us but they are far from sapient.

That being said, the ponies are sapient. This is a factual statement and not at all open for debate (but still open for discussion).