verycreativeusername

116 users have voted

1. 1. What would you rather lose?

• Taste
    • Smell
    • Sight
    • Hearing
    • Touch

I don't really care much for eating. It is only a way to simply keep me alive. Also I am considered a picky either, losing taste might opening up more options on what I chose to eat.

Uh guys, just putting this out there, but without smell, you wouldn't be able to taste at all.

Yup.  I think people are working on the hypothetical assumption that you could separate them.  They are obviously linked.  But if you had no taste, could you still smell?  I'm not sure on that one.  I think maybe yes?  Anyway, with a bit of practice, it's quite easy to eat food without tasting it, simply by not allowing any air to pass through your nose.  You don't have to pinch it, you can just shut it off from inside.  A useful skill to have, imo.

To answer the question, if one could hypothetically choose to lose one sense but not the other, I guess maybe I'd choose to lose taste.  It's a tough call, because food is part of what makes life worth living, but smell is also a huge part of arousal for me, so....yeah, so long, taste.

I choose sight because it would give a whole new meaning for love. Love would no longer how you look at somebody it will all be solely on how they interact with you. It will truly allow you to see people for who they are. If you lost taste you would not taste rotten food and would have a higher chance of food poisoning. If you loose touch you won't feel pain and are prone to bleeding to death. You loose hearing and you can't scene whats around you without looking behind you. Lastly if you loose smell you can be breathing in deadly gasses and not know it causing damage to your lungs. If you loose you sight you can still hear car's, you can still hear whats behind you and your surrounding plus in today's world we have seeing eye dog's to prevent us from walking into the street. With a loss of sight there's not much to miss in this world when me have things that can basically see for us. Another example is cars that beep when you get to close to a wall i'm sure you can make a handheld one to prevent you blind self from walking into a brick wall. With loss off sight in definition of love it's You can still smell her perfume and you can remember her by her scent. You still have touch so you can hold hands and feel her presence. You still have hearing so you can communicate with words. If your relationship partner were to cook a meal for you and try their hardest you can admire the work they put into cooking it by still being able to taste things in this world.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if I could really choose easily, I mean each sense is important:

Taste: Important as means of finding out if something is good to eat or bad to eat essentially as a means of avoiding getting poisoned by eating bad food

Smell: Very much linked to taste but also would be a predatorial sense (and for prey too) both to detect threats or detect a vulnerable target for hunting, not as useful now but it can also help detect more minor issues like a lack of hygiene.

Sight: Allows us to see potential threats and good prey, also good for making sure that we can navigate properly.

Hearing: Allows us to again detect threats or prey, also very helpful in terms of communication which in our society is important.

Touch: VERY IMPORTANT we need touch so that we can detect pain, without this ability we could cause large amounts of harm to ourselves by not triggering a reflex this means that we could easily cut ourselves, burn ourselves etc.

I would say that it would be easiest to get by without sight or hearing as technology has advanced enough to provide means of allowing someone to hear again (not perfectly but it is still pretty decent) and sight can be worked around through the use of guide dogs and things and it is likely possible to return sight through the use of modern technology (again not perfectly) as such I would likely go for hearing as it is the only one that I know can be corrected to a reasonable level. (also because I don't like dogs and wouldn't want a guide dog)

I'm tempted to answer touch because I'm very hypersensitive to pain and lots of physical stimuli.  But as other people have pointed out, that would cause a lot of problems because we need to be alerted to pain/discomfort to a certain degree in order to stay healthy.

If haggling is permitted, maybe I could go for lowering by half my touch and my taste (I'm a supertaster so I have some taste buds to spare).  That would maybe make me more normal.  :lol:

Smell is the best sense I could probably live without. I'm already effectively blind in one eye so I'd rather not lose the other one. That would compromise so much it would be unbelievably hard to not get bored (not able to post on here, for example)

Probably smell since it's not that useful in my opinion, if you smell something bad well you get sick, if you smell something good then their's that. 

GUYS. Losing your sense of smmell basically IS losing your sense of taste.... Ever tried eating a delicious meal when you have a cold? How delicious is it then? Or does it taste rather NOTHING?

I kid, but you gotta also add some senses like: Balance, Common-, Gut...

Taste is an easy one.  While you wouldn't be able to enjoy certain foods, you would be able to eat healthy with a variety of foods that you might not like otherwise.

Smell is second.  Smell can save your life.

Touch is a really dangerous sense to lose.  You could bleed to death.  In essence you would have to inspect yourself regularly.  I mean you could step on a rock and not know as it hurt you over and over.  You could damage yourself in many ways unwittingly.

Hearing would lose you music and all the beauty that goes with it as well as causing many other issues. 

BUT I find sight as more valuable than hearing.  Most of what you do with hearing can be teleprompted.  Most of what you do with sight has no analog.  You can get along a lot better as a deaf sighted person than a hearing blind person.

• Brohoof 1

Taste is an easy one.  While you wouldn't be able to enjoy certain foods, you would be able to eat healthy with a variety of foods that you might not like otherwise.

Smell is second.  Smell can save your life.

Touch is a really dangerous sense to lose.  You could bleed to death.  In essence you would have to inspect yourself regularly.  I mean you could step on a rock and not know as it hurt you over and over.  You could damage yourself in many ways unwittingly.

Hearing would lose you music and all the beauty that goes with it as well as causing many other issues. 

BUT I find sight as more valuable than hearing.  Most of what you do with hearing can be teleprompted.  Most of what you do with sight has no analog.  You can get along a lot better as a deaf sighted person than a hearing blind person.

I like points you make! I am a musician and  I mostly play instruments that don't need sight so I think I could get along sightless rather than without sound, but good points made