Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you were immortal, would you be happy or sad?

Sugar Pea

Watching everyone I know die around me would be sad, but being immortal I imagine I'd get used to it after a few hundred years. With the amount of knowledge I'd accrue over time, I could probably do a lot of useful stuff, so it might actually be a really cool thing.

At least, until the sun eventually engulfs the Earth and I'm stuck floating in space for eternity.

• Brohoof 1

I would like to think that I could cope. We all suffer loss eventually. Some more than others. If that is the price to pay for living until the death of the universe I think Id be ok with that. We would get to see and do so much. We could pass on so much to those that do not live as long. And if the cyclical universe theory is correct we might even be able to take another trip around when life starts again. 

Likely sad and depressed since I would outlive all of my family and friends. Not only that, but I would have to witness the loss of dark skies as the suburbs overtake once rural areas. :sunny:

I would probably be happy. First of all, while this might sound creepy, even though my family would die, at the same time, everyone who ruined my life in the first place would be dead as well, while I would still be alive. And I would love that. Not to mention, MLP would eventually enter the public domain, and I could possibly resurrect it as an epic anime series. :ticking: Though I would have to wait until it's mostly forgotten, which could take centuries, maybe even millennia. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I would be sad for the first hundred years, and then I’d creep toward apathy after realizing there’s no way out. After that, I’d stop making new friends and forming new relationships. I wouldn’t want to get close to anyone. People would cease to be people in my mind; they’d just become bodies with no lasting impact.

Society would change at a pace I wouldn’t be able to keep up with, so I would distance myself from that, too. And I wouldn’t have anything worth doing, because when you have all the time in the world, you probably’ll just keep putting it off till an unreachable tomorrow. All my hobbies and my job would become meaningless, since I’d have no one to share them with, and no retirement to look forward to. And yeah, I’d still have to work. Until society collapses. 

The skies would fill with smog, cities filled with hunger and plagues, the world torn apart by wars and unavoidable ruin, and I’d still be there. Alone and apathetic. And I would have to keep living, even when every other human is gone. 

Sadness doesn’t encapsulate that feeling. 

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...

If I was immortal, I would use this gift to take over the world.

Only kidding, I would hate to have immortality.

It’s more of a curse than a gift, you outlive everyone and everything you love.

And in the end, you’re really alone.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
On 2014-01-17 at 1:59 PM, Fluttershyfan94 said:

I don't want to live forever, I just would not be happy with it. I wouldn't be sad about it though, I'd use it to my advantage but still it's not worth it. Life is too long for me anyway, I will probably become 100 years old because I have genes that enable me to live a lot longer then the average person. So I'd rather not become immortal because it will already feel that way for me.

So even though there are good things about being immortal I think it would just be too awful in the long term.

I would Probably Travel the wasteland that was once earth as a Immortal elderly old man. 

On 2014-01-17 at 2:00 PM, Zero said:

I would be happy. Sure, it'd suck to see everyone around you slowly wither away and die but being able to live forever opens up so many new possibilities. It's always been a dream of mine. 

I might Travel the wasteland that was once earth as a Immortal elderly old man. I would Probably stay calm since the sun and the solar system died off, I guess everything would freeze the only living left is me

See the source image

What does life even mean if you live forever? If you don't have an unaging body, then what do you look like 300 years from now? 1,000? 1,000,000? Can you eat or drink anymore? Enjoy good food, good drink? Not anymore. Can you still survive mortal injuries and disease? Extreme pressure, heat, cold, radiation? Would you want to? There's a huge number of things you could bump into and survive just because you're immortal, but does it still affect you, or bounce off you like a child throwing a rock at Superman?

We have fragile bodies and minds, many of us don't mentally survive aging to 80 even if our bodies do. I would never want to live forever, I wouldn't even really wanna live to 100. We like, dislike, are attracted to or repulsed by things in life due to experiences and biological imperative designed by the circle of life. If you suddenly don't need anything, none of it means anything to you anymore.

If, in a perfect immortality scenario where you don't age, you don't suffer diseases or anything like that, 0 kelvin doesn't restrict you, any amount of friction doesn't affect you, pressure, gravity- nothing can physically affect you. You somehow manage to keep your mind intact over centuries and help countless lives while their times come and go- one universal rule will still be the end of you one way or the other; nothing lasts forever. But in this scenario, only you would. What happens when way off in the future you come face to face with the heat death of the universe, and there you are just floating in a frozen void? Living forever was nice for a few thousand years. And now it's just eternal loneliness and suffering in black nothingness cause unless you also have some kind of superpower to identify and travel to very distant universes to find other life to adapt to, simply existing in a void isn't something that sounds like fun to me.

tl;dr I'm happy with my life how it is.

• Brohoof 2

I would like to think of this like the scenario where you are immortal but a snail somewhere in the world would kill you as soon as you touch it. 

At first you would be wary and avoid it all costs. Though how long will it be before you start seeking it out? Years? Decades? Millenniums? Personally I wouldn't be happy or sad, I would just like to see how this universe ends. After the last star fades, I would touch it.

• 4 weeks later...

At the beginning, I think I would be hapoy to not scare the death. But with the time, especially when I see all my loved people dying, I would became more and more sad. No, immortally is nothing I want to have. More a normal but endless live filled with much of good experiances instead of a neverending live full of sadness, anger and suffer.