Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who wears glasses and why?

Dashie23

I feel like I need glasses but when I got my permit a few months ago I aced the vision test.

Which is weird cause I have trouble reading stuff from far away in class. I'm not too sure if it's just because it's on a projector screen and it's blurry or something but it's so hard to read I have to squint.

I wear them, of course. Got them in the sixth grade when they discovered my eyes were just as screwed up as the rest of my family. Near-sighted, but I don't need them as extensively as most people. I can still see and do most tasks without them. Often, I do remove them when it's raining and I have to go out there, or I'm going to do some activity that will get them all dirty. Mostly, I just wear them all the time though because it is a significant improvement. Things are still annoyingly fuzzy.

When I first got them, I was crying and upset that my perfect eyesight had been marred. I had always been complimented for 20-20 vision before. But I started drawing myself with them, and then I soon became fond of them. They're now a big part of my image everywhere and how I project myself online. All of my 'sonas wear glasses. (Including my current picture.) And I like to use them to project a kind of intelligent librarian feel. Nowadays, I find people in glasses to be more attractive.

I wear glasses because I am shortsighted and can't see more than 5m infront of me clearly :( . I have a cheap, black frame as I always break them.

And I have a strict policy of wearing contacts ONLY when I am cosplaying

I used to wear glasses, now it's just contacts. It's usually to avoid walking into stuff. 

.. okay, kidding aside - my eyesight is not that bad! But contacts are still a big help. 

When I was 4 my brother was swinging something around and it hit me in the left eye. I've had a scratched cornea for 16 years now. Fortunately my vision in my left eye isn't getting any worse. It's not improving either. Curiously, I can see and even read just fine with or without my glasses. I really notice no difference. My optometrist says my left is terrible but I have better than 20/20 vision in the right since I can read any line he throws at me with my right eye. The effect of that is normal vision. In fact, the only reason I wear glasses is to keep my left eye from straining as it tries to do its job. I'd kinda like to get lasik one day. I'm too lazy for contacts. They're just too high maintenance. Still since one of them is bad, I have trouble with depth perception and distance judgment. I can guess but it's hardly ever accurate. If I can't see something past the end of the hood of my car, I assume I'm hitting it even though I might be miles away from it. I can try to compensate for this by making guesses as to where my tires are, but it's still in accurate. I do have a general feel for how big my car is and what kind of spaces I can squeeze it into, but I'll never be quarterback material. Oh well lol 

• 3 months later...

I used to wear them because my less-than-perfect eyesight required them. I still wear them now, but I can do without them. They're more to prevent too much strain coming to them, since I'm often staring at my laptop in the dark.

I wear them cause im near sighted and I got it when I was doing maths it just went blurry for some reason and I had to ask the teacher for the next question

• Brohoof 1

I've worn glasses for a few years now. I started to realize I needed them when I couldn't read the football scores on TV unless I was 5 feet away from the screen. When I went to get my eyes checked, the optometrist couldn't believe I had successfully driven myself to the doctor's office.  :lol:

I love glasses. It's a good thing too honestly because I'm pretty much beginning to go blind at this point but I don't have any yet. Honestly, I want to wear glasses for style. Specifically yellow/gold spectacles that I can wear on the tip of my nose. A lot of my acquaintances and maybe even strangers at my school would laugh, but I really adore the nerdy/hipster style. :P

I'm nearsighted, but I usually wear lenses instead of glasses because I find them more comfortable and because they allow me to see clearly even when I'm looking to the side.

The glasses I have now were chosen in part by my girlfriend who felt I could use a bit more style, so I have these hipster-looking glasses that I wear whenever I can't be arsed to put in my lenses.

I've worn glasses since around second grade or so. Didn't take it the best at the time, but now I rather appreciate being able to see :derp:. My vision's pretty crummy and I really can't do much without my pair. Considered getting contacts years ago, but I'm pretty squeamish about touching my eyes (the optometrist said I had some of the most stubborn eyelids he'd ever seen), and I'm content with going without them now.

People tell me that I look unusually intense when I go without my glasses anyway :lol:. I took that to mean that my glasses make me look more friendly and approachable, which I like :catface:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................I wear glasses because without them I'm blind as a bloody bat. I can't wear contacts since high school because of a bacterial infection I got in my right eye from a trip to Mexico.(almost went permanently blind in that eye, but it's healed up fine now, though the thought of doing contacts again fills me with dread, so no there.)

Touch your thumb to your nose. Extend your fingers so that they're pointing in the direction you're looking. Now lean your entire face forward until your fingers touch the screen of whatever device you're using. Even if you have really big hands, you should now be uncomfortably close to whatever you're looking at.

Imagine this. Without glasses, anything farther away than that distance is blurry to me. If I don't have my glasses, that's how close I need to sit to my computer screen to be able to read it comfortably.

I needed glasses since the Fifth grade, but I didn't start wearing them regularly until just a year or two ago. My vision is so bad that I have to wear them out of necessity. If given the option, I would totally ditch them, as I hate the way they make me look. I'm nerdy enough in appearance already, even without them.

Fun fact: if you're nearsighted like I am, you can put a finger up to the outside corner of your eye and stretch your eyelids outward to improve your vision. This little trick allowed me to go without glasses during most of my school years. I became very good at it doing it to get a quick glance of something I needed to read.

Edited by Admiral Regulus