Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Music taste before/after becoming a brony

Green Precision

before i just listen to mostly classic and modern mainstream rock(for modern mainstream rock it was mostly stuff like grunge/post-grunge,pop punk, and nu-metal outside of that would be other modern mainstream rock that was popular during the late 90s/2000s would be probably rhcp after they stop being a funk metal/alt metal band and became a funk rock/alt rock band with the only rhcp song would be californication since before i join the fandom i only knew a little bit of mid 2000s-mid 2010s mainstream rock music since i joined the brony fandom around the time made in manehatten aired because of that i was unaware of the death of nu metal and pop punk that happen at the time since i gotten into rock music around the time american idiot was released and was only a casual listener of rock music and music overall) than after i became a brony i got into electronic music and dance music now i pretty much love most music with clean vocals(including certain music genres i used to hate) since i always have a preference for clean over unclean vocals there's certain genres i also got into after joining the fandom with unclean vocals but not all which alot of brony fan music affected my taste in music and i still have a preference for rock more specifically melodic rock music and always love melodic metal more than metal that ain't melodic and melodic rock outside of metal

Edited by twilightfan
  • Brohoof 1

I actually like many genres, form classical to metal to jazz. The show hasn't changed that, but the music in this fandom is just so good. That made me appreciate other genres, like electronic music, more then before I joined. ^_^

Didn't change it, but through the fandom met several people with similar taste and shared/explored deeper into the genres I already enjoyed. Also found myself enjoying stuff way outside my tastes when used in PMVs.

I do enjoy some fanmade aside from anything electronic, though there are a few exceptions. As long as it's not dubstep or anything similar. Have no idea what electonic subgenres there are, am just not a big fan of anything made without actual physical instruments, unless with traditional song structures or particularly orchestral, or with really good vocals.

I even found a little fanmade music in my preferred genre (ShinZM, SDreamExplorerS, Br0racle, some of Tarby and Cyril's stuff, PW, etc) that I've greatly enjoyed.

Becoming a brony didn't necessarily change my taste in music, but I guess you can say that it expanded it.

Edited by Cash In

I got more into orchestral music, electronica, and synthwave after becoming a brony. Now, I still listen to a lot of alternative rock, but I suppose I did expand my horizons through the brony music scene.

It was brony artists like Aviators and d.notive who inspired me to dig into the music of some classic artists like Depeche Mode.

My music taste has remained mostly the same (I listen to The Beatles, Blondie, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Billy Joel), but I would say that I have warmed up a bit to Electronic music, which was introduced to me through the fandom with most of the fandom music being of an electronic type.

This is one of my favorites from the fandom-

12 hours ago, Prospekt said:

I got more into orchestral music, electronica, and synthwave after becoming a brony. Now, I still listen to a lot of alternative rock, but I suppose I did expand my horizons through the brony music scene.

It was brony artists like Aviators and d.notive who inspired me to dig into the music of some classic artists like Depeche Mode.

wow i was the same rather it be alternative metal or alternative rock like pop punk bands like green day and blink-182 and rhcp outside of metal while listening to stuff like hard rock, progressive rock, soft rock, and glam metal pretty much everything that was melodic and mainstream in the 70s and 80s with rock music and like i mentioned i was mostly sticking in this world of rock music before i joined the fandom which i mentioned here

On 2/10/2018 at 10:32 AM, twilightfan said:

before i just listen to mostly classic and modern mainstream rock(for modern mainstream rock it was mostly stuff like grunge/post-grunge,pop punk, and nu-metal outside of that would be other modern mainstream rock that was popular during the late 90s/2000s would be probably rhcp after they stop being a funk metal/alt metal band and became a funk rock/alt rock band with the only rhcp song would be californication since before i join the fandom i only knew a little bit of mid 2000s-mid 2010s mainstream rock music since i joined the brony fandom around the time made in manehatten aired because of that i was unaware of the death of nu metal and pop punk that happen at the time since i gotten into rock music around the time american idiot was released and was only a casual listener of rock music and music overall) than after i became a brony i got into electronic music and dance music now i pretty much love most music with clean vocals(including certain music genres i used to hate) since i always have a preference for clean over unclean vocals there's certain genres i also got into after joining the fandom with unclean vocals but not all which alot of brony fan music affected my taste in music and i still have a preference for rock more specifically melodic rock music and always love melodic metal more than metal that

also if you are one of those bronies who love to have their favorite pony in their profile picture(the pony on the left of my profile picture) than we share more things in common than just music history which most bronies in the fandom also seems to have come from a rock music history as well

Edited by twilightfan
  • Brohoof 1

Before I joined the herd I only listened to Metal. Mostly Power Metal and harder Stuff.

After I watched the first two Sessions I started listening to fan made music mostly remixes of the original and mostly dubstep. It was never my thing or just even my pair of shoes but I found a way to enjoy it and now I'm listening to electro too. 

I never where so far into the pure Metalhead thing but thought that most modern music isn't that good to say it on a not so harsh way.

Greetings from the cold Germany right to you my fellow Bronies. Love you all <3

i already loved the cheesy 90s classic dance tracks, but i just went a little nuts with enjoying digital music form the brony fandom. Ive learnt to love remixes a lot.

I also now really hate mainstream music because of it. ^^;

21 minutes ago, StormBlaze said:

i already loved the cheesy 90s classic dance tracks, but i just went a little nuts with enjoying digital music form the brony fandom. Ive learnt to love remixes a lot.

I also now really hate mainstream music because of it. ^^;

wow underground music made you hate mainstream music once i started listening to more underground music i still enjoy mainstream music so pretty much i love both mainstream and underground music now no matter what genre just like my aunt who is a pegasister and who is in her late 20s so much older than most pegasisters in the fandom with most of them being in their teens-early 20s at least from what i seen of the brony community on the internet

Edited by twilightfan

1 minute ago, twilightfan said:

wow underground music made you hate mainstream music once i started listening to more underground music i still enjoy mainstream music so pretty much i love both mainstream and underground music now no matter what genre

its more music in the UK I hate right now in mainstream.

Not a day goes by where we dont have an X Factor winner in the charts or Ed bloody Sheeran. Even indie bands are all starting to sound like the Killers or Arctic Monkeys. and its all getting samey. The other end of the spectrum is that the US is filling teh charts with utter crap about sex and girls' arses and its barely even music.

What I do seek out in mainstream is unique stuff like Florence and the Machine or even Mumford & Sons - but my family is very folk music driven so I hear a lot of that anyway. I think the only big name in the charts that I still and always have loved is Coldplay.

I dunno if thats pointing out how bad our music industry has gotten - but a lot of people have gained popularity just from YT, even if the brony community is small compared to mainstream crowds.

2 hours ago, StormBlaze said:

its more music in the UK I hate right now in mainstream.

Not a day goes by where we dont have an X Factor winner in the charts or Ed bloody Sheeran. Even indie bands are all starting to sound like the Killers or Arctic Monkeys. and its all getting samey. The other end of the spectrum is that the US is filling teh charts with utter crap about sex and girls' arses and its barely even music.

What I do seek out in mainstream is unique stuff like Florence and the Machine or even Mumford & Sons - but my family is very folk music driven so I hear a lot of that anyway. I think the only big name in the charts that I still and always have loved is Coldplay.

I dunno if thats pointing out how bad our music industry has gotten - but a lot of people have gained popularity just from YT, even if the brony community is small compared to mainstream crowds.

yeah i kinda agree with how metalcore is the thing right now with mainstream metal back than it was nu-metal which i feel is a way better genre than metalcore and that metalcore should've just stayed underground in the first place we don't need screaming bands that sounds inferior to the genre and i seriously don't understand how it's mainstream when it's less radio-friendly than glam metal and nu-metal(the only good mainstream metalcore bands that don't scream poorly in their music now bands like bullet of my valentine and sleeping with sirens and probably some of the easycore bands) but the majority is earraping screaming they are mislabel as in by the metal community i seriously hope nu metal that ain't influence by metalcore or glam metal actually replace metalcore as the most popular metal genre since glam metal already had a revival and pop punk had a revival in the 90s and replace grunge as the most popular genre outside of metal among with post-grunge outside of metal there's still great pop punk bands hitting the rock charts and some electronic rock bands like fallout boy, neck deep, green day, hawthorne heights, and imagine dragon who started out as part of the genre that pretty much replaced post-punk/new wave(which ironically was replaced by a genre that also had a revival) as the most popular rock genre outside of metal which is indie rock and thankfully we still have good metal bands hitting the rock charts as well like disturbed, papa roach, in this moment, avenged sevenfold, and five finger death punch with some of those bands that i mentioned have made great mainstream rock back when i grew up in the 2000s in my pre-teen years which you could say i am still growing up since i am only an adult by age of consent standards with entering my 20s since the age of consent in ohio is 16 the earliest somebody can be consider the age of consent in the united states and is the same in most states i am not sure where you live is the age of consent which could be the uk since you say you hate british mainstream music than american mainstream music and most people hate pop music from the country they are from than a country they aren't from like k-pop and j-pop from what i seen in the comment section on youtube videos comparing western pop to eastern pop(k-pop & j-pop) probably the same with other genres as well i also don't really know if it's the same in other countries or just the united states with what's popular right now in rock music since my knowledge of mainstream modern rock music from outside the united states is more limited compare to mainstream rock music from the united states most of the mainstream rock music from outside the united states is pretty much bands that existed or still exist since the 60s-80s pretty much classic mainstream rock bands from europe i know scandinavian rock music is big and the only other european band would be asking alextrania from the uk with metal and outside metal i have even less knowledge of the closest is american and european bands that been making music since the late 90s/early 2000s like radiohead and i know grunge had a revival with all except one of the big 5 of grunge making music today and i think some post-britpop bands are popular like coldplay i don't even know if any of the bands of the original new wave and post-punk movements still putting out records that is still hitting the charts especially when some of them pretty much on indie labels and the closest thing to post-punk that i know is emo/post-hardcore bands other than the new wave and post-punk nostagia bands you mentioned which i don't put a / between them because i know some of the bands aren't both while the killers are and artic monkeys aren't and i seriously don't have a problem with musicians that started from a music competition as long as the quality of their music is great even some of the best rock bands started from a battle of the bands like nwobhm band grim reaper which any nwobhm fan should check out also sorry if this is too long(and probably think it is a wall of text if you think it's too long) i am just one of those people who loves to talk alot sometimes but i guess that is what happens with a open-minded person who is devoted to a variety of music and will rage when a music elitist says a subgenre of music is not part of it over stupid reasons when it is part of that genre just like i'll be raging at rabid  anti-bronies for their behavior and is a die-hard brony who loves everything from this fandom both sfw and nsfw with some exceptions

Edited by twilightfan

I used to be into the mainstream pop and rap of today about 2 years ago.But about a year ago the Brony fandom had intriduced me to Classic Rock and Metal (which are now my 2 current favorite genres) and I ditched the mainstream music.I'm happy to say that i'm really glad I found out about these genres much way better than what I used to listen to.

Edited by Messy Mane
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Being in this fandom has not altered my music tastes in any way. If we're simply talking tastes developed in time though, I've come to appreciate technical death metal more over the years thanks to my boyfriend. Out of all genres of metal, that one and thrash were always the two that I simply found unappealing, but tech death is pretty cool, especially the Zenith Passage.

I do not think MLP changed my music taste at all. I like some of the songs from the show and have bought a couple of records of them, but that is kind of the music I normally like. My tastes slowly expand (slowly adding new music that I like, but not getting bored of what I liked before).

My music taste hasn't changed at all since before I was an avid fan of MLP. I've been jamming to 80s rock, pop, and country from every generation since I was 5  

From a guy who listen to angry punk ass music, now listen to "smile" from pinkie pie... I have to say, that's a huge changeup. :LunaMCM:

Honestly I did cringe in mlp songs at first, thinking it's too "girly" but now I like it. 

My music taste before becoming a brony: Hardcore punk and heavy metal.

my music taste after becoming a brony: The genres above, plus British Invasion -era pop, psychedelic rock, sludge and doom metal, funk, avant-garde and outsider music, jazz, and prog rock as my main genres, with minor forays into world and classical.

Edited by Renegade the Unicorn