Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Zoop

~Sniped~

Come now omran, the only thing you ever did in chat was post links anyways! :P

Perhaps now you will be more involved in the rest of the forums. After all, that's part of the purpose.

My first reaction to chat being closed:

this work better

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Come now omran, the only thing you ever did in chat was post links anyways! :P

Perhaps now you will be more involved in the rest of the forums. After all, that's part of the purpose.

i dont always talk to you i was using chat as a entertaining proupse and to make my chat comic my god damn chat comic

• Brohoof 1

this work better

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

i dont always talk to you i was using chat as a entertaining proupse and to make my chat comic my god damn chat comic

Relax, we still have the synchtube and skype room to use. If you simply must post links you can do it there.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Omran dont be silly, listen to the smart mods, now you should just pm everyone you quote and try to know them

You ll meet tons of people in the forums, it doesnt matter if they dont know anything about you or you about them... And thats why facebook people are so obsessed with friends, they have so many real friends

/sarcasm off

Edited by Rainbow_Crash
  • Brohoof 2

I understand and support this completely, but I will miss the fond memories I made there :( . I mean who could forget when Hinochi and several others all became Wolverine from Xmen (or a real wolverine in my case). Or perhaps sometime when Roop, the "Chat Mod" do to speak, would come in and say something witty.

Oddly enough though, I didn't notice it was taken down until just now because the tab is still up. I'm obviously oblivious XD .

*EDIT* Oh wait, this happened yesterday? I'm oblivious for a different reason then, because for some reason I thought this happened earlier (like say, last week?).

Wolverine time shall be missed by some. Not the mods though. :P

Wolverine time shall be missed by some. Not the mods though. :P

I shall miss wolverine time, but it was fun while it lasted! ^_^

I'm kind of glad that the staff has made this decision. I can't follow everything in the chatroom, and it all eventually becomes a random mess for me. Like I've said, I'm not into chatrooms. If other people are into them, that's obviously fine, but they aren't my thing. I'm glad that the staff is concentrating entirely on the forum. This forum is still young. It has its strong points, but it also has its weak points. I anticipate what the staff will do with the MLP Forums in the future. :)

• Brohoof 2

so now it gone...great now i have less reasons to come here...i mean i still dont understand why...

The site is named the mlpforums not the mlpchatroom. It really should not be that big of a drop in reasons, and if it is then you should probably reconsider why you go to this site.
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

The site is named the mlpforums not the mlpchatroom. It really should not be that big of a drop in reasons, and if it is then you should probably reconsider why you go to this site.

To have fun and meet new people and chat does that 60% better than forums, but i guess the forums also serve the high society peoople that need high quality discussions like long potatoes from a high quality restaurant xD Edited by Rainbow_Crash
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Don't worry everypony, I'll revive it once I get home! :D

Oh wait, it's actually dead dead.

What the hay. :'/

Edited by Demi

To have fun and meet new people and chat does that 60% better than forums, but i guess the forums also serve the high society peoople that need high quality discussions like long potatoes from a high quality restaurant xD

...What the hell are long potatoes? Is that the sophisticated way of saying chips?

I don't know, I've never frequented the chat and I know a ton of people on here. I guess it all comes down to what you personally prefer, chatting to people about any subject or finding specific topics and meeting people that you find interesting via that. Both are good in the way that they allow you to make new friends but from what I've heard the chat system was very difficult to get into from most users due to spam, RP or the multiple different conversations that were going on.

• Brohoof 1

HERE LIES CHAT

SHE DED

2011-2012

The autopsy revealed the primary cause of death to be cancer, though she was also shot multiple times and burned postmortem.

I'd like to say a few things about it. I joined the forums on January 23, of Mr. Wobbels's advice. Two days later, he urged me from Facebook to get into the chatroom. So I dove right in to see what all the fuss was about...I was warmly welcomed by many of the people in there, and had a generally great experience. I got to know some members quite well from the chatroom alone. Good times were had by all, and rules were scarcely, if ever, broken. Those were the golden days of the chatroom, from what I'd experienced.

As time progressed, there was one thing that seemed to take up much of the chatroom: roleplay. The growth of the RP community on site was so much that it was moved into its own subsection, and a rule against RP in chat was implemented. All was well and good - in theory. There was still a presence of RP in the chatroom, in direct violation of the rules - perhaps proving that no one read them in the first place. Remember this. In general, any RPers were given textual warnings, which were semi-effective at first.

As the forum grew, so too did the population of the chatroom, what with a mere five post requirement for joining in. The site attracted more and more people closer to the target demographic, so naturally the level of maturity was diluted to some degree. Rules were broken more frequently, and not many people knew just how easy it was to report someone. The situation spiraled out of control - almost. Thus was the first closure of the chat, at least that I experienced. Taken down for a week to show us where it was headed if we didn't get our shit together.

Then came that fateful Friday of the chatroom's return. The Viscras were thought of, and conduct was...paranoid, at best. There was an eerie feel to the room (no, not The Room), and it seemed as though those who once frequented it now feared to tread its treacherous grounds. We soon got over ourselves, and from what I could tell, it was back to the same old chatroom with several new faces and marginally more reports.

One of the largest psychological effects of the closure was in the perception of the mod in its natural habitat. Gone were the days of welcoming mods into ongoing conversations...the new era heralded a perception that mods were to be feared above all else. Many a time, a mod as personable as Roop would enter (not to exclude any of the other mods who frequented chat), and all conversation either froze over or changed to something relating to mods. This behavior, however silly or out of place it may have been, instilled in the newer members all the wrong ideas about the moderation team. They came to view the team (hopefully sarcastically) as an adversary of sorts.

Going back to where I suggested that most members didn't even read the rules, they came to be violated left and right. Situations escalated to RP or something closely resembling it quite often, which was, from my experiences, the primary issue. As has been said before, some members became completely alienated from the chatroom altogether due to how things typically went in there. When warnings were issued for violations of the rules, members vehemently denied having done anything outside the boundaries of the rules. They felt unfairly punished, even as they were given the precise reasoning behind the issuance of the warnings. Rules were broken for the sake of breaking them, and reporting was next to impossible due to the sheer amount of people participating in these violations in conjunction with just how damn fast the messages were being spewed out.

The story of the chat has almost come full circle, so bear with me. After some time, the results of the Community Survey were released, showing that many members were rightfully disgusted with what chat had become. Threads such as "Declining Maturity," "Swearing," and "Chat Conduct" abounded. It became clear that something had to be done to rectify the new situation, as it were. Many suggestions were offered, many of which were impossible to implement due to the limitations of IP.Chat itself. Other solutions could be summed up as "Enforce the rules more strictly," which is all well and good until one realizes that in order for this to happen, the constituents of the chatroom itself would need to drastically alter their behavior and frame of mind. You know, actually report the reportable? This seemed to be quite the unlikely solution indeed. Enter the Easter Massacre, Final Solution, Purges, whatever you want to call it. You've likely read the pastebin Mr. Wobbels posted earlier. It was hilarious, necessary, and for the good of the community as a whole.

I'll miss her, but not for what she had become - I'll miss her for what she was...Oh, Schrodinger's Chat, how that vial of poison has killed you...

• Brohoof 13

(edited)

Just one last pointer from me taken from the mlp forums own survey

post-1231-0-05747500-1334004992.png

This is how much people hated the place called the chatroom that was sooo bad that needed to be closed. Just look at this I hate it bar unacceptable. I am wondering why it lived for so long I mean look at that love and like it bar. It so small it shouldn't even be taken as a joke.

This was surely a decision that took place among the population of the forums. It was for the greater good. Statistics clearly prove it

Edit: It seems that the thought of 30-something people that hate/disliked clearly overshadows the thought of those 130-something that loved/liked that chat

Edited by Trixie's Apprentice Leona
  • Brohoof 9

Edit: It seems that the thought of 30-something people that hate/disliked clearly overshadows the thought of those 130-something that loved/liked that chat

It got closed for a week for people being dumb and reopened. Chances were given. Rules continued to be broken and spam continued to be spammed. Thus, nuked and sent to the moon.

Also, notice that indifference bar? It's probably turned into a dislike bar by now because people won't stop complaining about chat.

• Brohoof 1

I would like to once again point out that we do have a Skype group that is used for chat, and that is nowhere near as glitchy as IP.Chat was.

I have an issue with the Skype group chat.

I can't come in and leave as I please. I have to be added in, and if I leave it's difficult for me to find someone to re-add me in, and if I don't leave it freezes my skype with the hundreds of replies everyday.

Also the usernames aren't the same, so I usually don't know who is who.

• Brohoof 2