Did you like it?  

278 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I've been looking forward to this episode the most since it was announced, and I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed. Like Castle-Mania it has castle in its title this episode feels very much like a breather episode after the high adventure of The Cutie Map and just like Castle-Mania I was laughing all the way through...well, except for when I was trying desperately not to cry. 

What really surprised me is that Pinkie Pie has been well written so far, which is helping to redeem her in my eyes after all the times she ruined an episode for me last season, like when she realizes seconds after listing off all the problems Twilight might have with her big empty castle, rather than comically missing the point like she's done in the past. Twilight was also her lovable self all throughout, and I laughed so hard when she face-planted into her plate of pancakes before snuggling up to them like a pillow. Forget Twilight's spa hair, I want someone to vector "frazzled Twilight" before the day is out.

The song was...okay, I guess. It's catchy sure, but it's kind of like watching a train-wreck in motion. You just know that as they're collecting all their stuff that this won't turn out well at all. Also, is it just me, or does Dash's voice crack at the very beginning? 

Though I do like that the ReManing 5 realized what a mess they had made almost instantly, rather than have them be oblivious to it until Spike points it out to them like I've seen done.

Speaking of Spike, if I had one major flaw to say about this episode, it's that nothing good ever comes of uttering the words "Stall them", as said attempts to stall become increasingly more frantic. To Spike's credit however, his attempts to keep Twilight from the castle aren't that bad, though it does start to drag after he spends an unknown amount of time apparently hunting for a bed.

And that scene of Twilight standing outside the remains of the Golden Oaks Library...and then the roots chandelier...

img-3659052-1-tumblr_m4v4pzYl7a1r3zat8.g    

Though I have to ask just what are those ornaments and how do they work? Because the ones we saw looked far too perfect to be photographs.

My verdict? This episode was just as heartwarming as I hoped it would be, maybe even a bit more. Kudos to the writing staff for taking time to deal with the emotional fallout of the library's destruction. All and all, a very solid episode. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

Wow. Now that was an episode I am pretty much proud to say that I have shed a tear or two during the live broadcast.

To quote from my tweet this morning:

"Awww...that was a heartfelt episode. In fact, In feeling very teary as I'm writing this. Can somepony get me a tissue?"

This episode really hit home for me.

I was left speechless for the entire duration of the program in seeing what Twilight and Spike had to go through after Tirek destroyed their home and the rebuilding process, trials, tribulations, heartbreak and in the end being overwhelmed by the new additions to make it a little more like their old home.

The scene that made me a tad weepy was when Twilight and Spike returned to "ground zero" as I call it to see the damage first hand. Hearing the emotion in both Twilight and Spike's voices when they remembered the times and memories in that place was more than enough for me to cry a little bit.

Apart from the tears there were also a few scenes that made me almost lost it in laughter, especially when it came to Rarity almost losing it after they tried to take down her decoration and design work.

Also as a side note, I couldn't even come up with things to say during the live tweeting as the subject covered reflected some real world experiences that I had to deal with when I was younger:

"Apologies for the lack of live tweets from me for this episode. It seems the storyline has also stuck a nerve for me."

The final scene where Twilight was overwhelmed emotionally also struck a chord for me as it was a moving and emotional scene. Seeing the tears in Twily's eyes got me a bit choked up with the kind gesture the Mane 6 did. That right there is the true spirit of friendship. Bar none.

So in summary, this episode for me is one for the ages. This is history book material. This is museum material. Heck, you can put this in the National Film and Sound Archive for many generations to come. But this episode really drove home some major points and in the process made many a fan appreciate what they have.

I have also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

There is also a audio described version of the blog post below:

Edited by rjrgmc28

It was definitely an excellent episode (I'll have to make a note to check all of my pancakes for spoons). I especially appreciate the continuity of paying homage to the library/tree, considering how I was just as sad as Twilight was when it was blown up. :(

Overall a well-done, emotional episode. I'm interested to see how this season plays out... Hopefully we see more of Trixie... Or Zecora... Either way.

Edited by RadioSilence

I adored this episode, it was nice to see some of the castle in this episode and see how much Twilight misses the library, the scene with Twilight hugging Spike while crying brought feels to me. I also loved seeing her friends try so hard to help and make the castle feel more like home to her. Pinkie and Spike were hilarious in this episode and I loved seeing Bulk Biceps bust through the door, grab Spike in his pecks then bust out. The song is sooo good and definitely one I'll be humming for a while.  :)  :)  :)  :D  :D I rate this episode 10/10!!

Let's see if I was right,and the castle ends like this at the end:

img-3657422-1-howlscastle.jpg

Kudos if you get the reference.

Love that movie, haven't seen it in a while. 

Well they have Spike, he'll take care of the cleaning and maintenance of it. 

I think Spikey-Wikey will need assistants to keep the castle. He alone can't handle it, plus, royal guards

• Brohoof 1

Such a good and emotional episode. I loved the part when Twilight stands in front of the old library, and when the other ponies decide to make the old tree a chandelier of the memories. Those parts almost brought me to tears  :(

Bulk Biceps had a very unexpected appearance though, and the song was nice  :)

Edited by Derpy-Fan GM
  • Brohoof 1

This was a very sweet episode, much better than I was expecting from new writers. The song was definitely one of the better ones we've gotten so far, very catchy. ^_^  And the chandelier idea was brilliant, I wasn't expecting anything like that at all. It was nice seeing how touched Twilight was by her friends' efforts to make it.

• Brohoof 1

I loved this episode. I kinda called it too on this episode, focusing on the Library and/or the Castle, in my previous episode blurb from last weekend.

I was kinda curious at first why Twilight was helping Fluttershy bathe and clean her animals, then it kinda hit me...her Castle is her new home and she was avoiding it because it didn't feel like home.Though, when I heard the other mane 6 were gonna "Decorate" the castle, I kinda knew where it was going and it did, With each of the 5 adding their own touch to the castle and making it look horrible. Though in the end they re thought their strategy and added something Twilight would like.

Also the songs, they were amazing. I loved them.

I also like these "Slice Of Life" episodes. Just adds even more to the characters overall and you learn something every time. I thought it was cute when Spike came in, holding a Rarity plush. When Twilight and Spike went to the Spa, I honestly was NOT expecting Bulk Biceps to be working there. I burst out laughing when he came  through the wall and carried Spike off between his chest muscles. That was epic and awesome and down right hilarious.I guess they made him that stereotypical "Strong massage guy" at the Spa.... We also got to see even more of Ponyville, such as the bed store. They revisited the Golden Oaks Library, man that hit me right in the feels.

I'm also glad to see that Fluttershy continues to be more assertive and less shy. Especially the bit when she's talking passively aggressively to Pinkie, about her confetti canons scaring her critters. I also love how they showed her influence over animals this episode as well, she got them to help dig up the old Library. 

This episode was just great, there was no new characters introduced, no crazy adventures, interventions or other mishaps, it was a pretty down to earth and simple  episode.

It still needs staff, it kinda feels like an enormous castle-shaped house, instead of an actual castle

Not to mention it has a "princess" that won't wear her crown, making it look like a castle-shaped house inhabited by a pony in denial rather than a real leader.

Not to mention it has a "princess" that won't wear her crown, making it look like a castle-shaped house inhabited by a pony in denial rather than a real leader.

I wouldn't say that she is in denial, just that she's very modest about her title. She obviously knows what her task is, but she never was someone who wants to wear a crown all the time.

• Brohoof 3

Seeing Bulk Biceps just mad me laugh and such and he said a line!  So

overall the ep was sweetness and friendship and I liked how the mane

six (5) tried to make it feel like their home and such (Ahh AJ with this

hay.....) Yet even Dash seemed well at moments,  a bit humble this time around

in the ep which was a nice change to see for once...

I like how they dug up the roots but WTF in how they got it in.....whole...

• Brohoof 1

So I just watched this episode for a second time, and of course the second time was better than the first. Now I can formulate an opinion. 

I loved the memories from the past episodes. It's understandable why Twilight avoids the castle. People/ponies get homesick, and the best way to fix that is to make it feel like home, which is why the thing Applejack said "What really makes home feel like home, isn't what it looks like, it's the memories you make when you're there." really stuck to me. 

Getting away from the sentimental thoughts, I loved Twilight's new hair style, random Bulk Biceps appearance, speaking Aloe, hidden party cannons, "I'm Pancake", and possibly the greatest Rarity face ever.

post-18640-0-92753200-1428800591_thumb.png

Oh yeah, I also give this episode a 8/10

• Brohoof 2

This episode was really good and it gets better the more I think about it. I thought the song was just ok at first, but now it's stuck in my head. Fluttershy's part was the best :wub:

It was an emotional episode that was actually very funny imo. Pinkie Pie was at the top of her game and Spike gave his best butt monkey performance ever! :squee:

Anyway, here's my full review and analysis of the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mND1pfsWBds

I think this is the best start to a season since season 2 (and perhaps the best period). What do you guys think?

Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 3

I have to say. The Mane Six sanes Twilight came across as quite moronic, and a touch narcissistic. 

I mean, come on. If you guys really wanted to move into the castle I'm sure Twilight would have let you. :P

Seriously though. I don't know why they decided to go with that kind of plot. It might have made sense back in Season One, but now it just seems really out of place. 

The new writers definitely made this episode enjoyable. The moral in it is a very good one as well.

That Cool-Aid Man reference though! I didn't expect that to happen. Yet it did and it was perfectly well executed. :)

To me this was a good, but really very standard episode for the show.

One thing I will note is that it made me very glad that I'm not a pony, because I could not stand to have to eat pancakes like that... Soooo messy! >.<

• Brohoof 1

Very solid episode with quite an amount of interesting moments. Most of which have already been named. Cherry on top of the cake for me: the sound and face Rarity makes while searching for a word to describe Twilight's appearance.

However, one thing that struck me. The ending. Of course, it was awesome, but it could have been a bit better I guess? There was much emphasis and screen time put on M5 doing the work, and the result of this work was condensed in like last 2 minutes. I wouldn't mind this if not the fact what M5 said about the rest of the decorations that weren't shown: plushie animals etc.

Honestly, I'd rather see them with my own eyes close up, to reinforce the "sweet home" message rather than observe Spike not being able to choose a bed.

Right now I have a feeling I've been served with a "Pimp My Ride" episode which only showed me the exterior and the main feature of the car. I wanted to see EVERYTHING. Hopefully I will yet get to see it.

Until then, 4/5.

• Brohoof 1

6/10.

I don't really wish to be too critical here, but the episode had its ups and downs.

To me, the episode had a good plot and all but it just felt like a "filler" for some reason. it just seemed like the Mane 6 were running around non-productively trying to do pointless stuff up until the last 5 minutes. But still, you've got to enjoy those slice of life episodes. It put a smile to my face regardless to see the Mane 6 up to their usual shenanigans.

Only downside:

To be honest, I was pretty eager to see inside that castle, but instead we had encounters with the spa, hair salon, and Furniture stores. That crap is boring IRL and I wouldn't want to see it in a show. :blink:

Even still, a much better episode than the S5 Premiere. 

Edited by The Crimson Cross