Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Possibility of character deaths in S5 finale?

Truffles

If you watched Friendship Games yesterday, you saw at the very end where pony universe Twilight pops through the portal and explains she couldn't help them because she was caught in a time loop.

First of all, kind of weird to have put Friendship Games on TV this soon when it seems like it was supposed to air the same day as the S5 finale, and reveal such major spoilers. Hiatus issues, I suppose...

In any case, although I had heard about the possibility of time travel being used in the S5 finale, this is the first I've ever heard it involves a time loop!  :blink:

So, the thing about time loops is, if you've ever seen Groundhog Day or read any MLP time loop fanfics, the only way to reset the loop is to die.

So does this mean we're going to see Twilight or other Mane 6 characters getting offed as the story progresses in order to reset the loop each time? Are there any other common ways to reset a time loop to the beginning?

Naturally time loop death is never permanent, and once they are free of the loop at the end of the episode everyone is fine again. Do you think Hasbro's rules against character deaths apply to non-permanent deaths?

I was wondering how they could make the S5 finale more epic than the S5 finale with Tirek, and I suppose having the characters get killed over and over until they get it right to escape the loop might do it...  :wau:

There is a way to make death PG.

If somepony:
Dies of age

Gets lost

They MIGHT be able to make it PG, but they'll have to fine tune to fit their needs.

We might see a random blackout or an accident in the everfree forest.

Remember, sadly, MLP isn't real life.

There -might- be a large explosion indicating something happening, or discord-ly things indicating the fabric of reality changing.

I highly doubt that.

Xena: Warrior Princess had a time loop episode, but the key to that one was

preventing someone from committing suicide.

If anything, I'd expect someone to get killed, do a big sad scene, and then loop back to before. Surely the loop break will be something happy and friendship related.

But I don't think there'll be any killing at all. Just sadness from lack of friendship, assuming we get to see a "what if" for each of their lives if the rainboom hadn't happened.

Edited by dekutree64

Yeah, I can't see them killing anyone in the show. One main character has lost her parents and they've barely acknowledged it over five seasons. The one character fans are convinced did die did so in a way that is really entirely ambiguous and open to interpretation as to whether or not he's not just lurking and waiting to strike again. Even Tirek didn't come to a messy end.

In short, not at all likely. MLP may have a predominantly adult audience (certainly the adult fans are the most vocal) but the show is still aimed squarely at preteens and that is going to be reflected in the content.

• Brohoof 1

Nopony will die in the episode, if it even exists. Twilight mentioning the time loop might actually be completely unrelated to the actual plot of the episode.

In any event, I'm fairly certain Twilight will be able to figure out a way through the possible time loop without any trauma. Note that in the movie, she says it was the strangest thing ever with a big smile. If it had been an emotionally painful situation involving her friends' death she would not have been that happy.

Also note that immediately afterwards, she says meeting her alter ego topped the strangeness of the time loop, this despite the fact that Twilight has met her future self before, in It's About Time. My guess is that the time loop is either a noodle incident, or one where learning a friendship lesson breaks it.

If My Little Pony would off a character they would never  do it directly. For example Queen Chrysalis getting defeated the Team Rocket way (I think that was actually a reference to Team Rocket) and we would never see her again after that, might of died right??? but they did not kill her directly.

Now if they were going to kill off a main six character or someone else important it would be most unlikely.

Personally I would like to see an Disney Death in the S5 finale, Heck they did it with Tangled and The Lion King (which when Mufasa falls to his death by Scar during an stampede, if I'm correct if you ask me)

Edited by MAIKUN