Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Phrases That Don't ACTUALLY Make Any Sense/Aren't Helpful

Something that has always annoyed me is common phrases we use to either be inspirational, or convey a point that when you really think about them... Have no real meaning. I mentioned it before in a blog about phrases that I find stupid because they don't actually mean anything and when you apply them to a lot of situations they are not really helpful. The example I originally used being "dress for the job you want, not the job you have" because if you do that, you usually get fired for not following uniform protocol, that and the job you want may not be something that you can dress for at your current job. Most people I imagine would rather not have a job at all and just get paid to sit at home, and I'm pretty sure you can't show up to work in your PJs.

But there's tons of other stupid phrases like this that annoy me as well:

"It's not about how others see you, it's about how you see yourself." - I'm pretty sure if I see myself as a doctor that it does not allow me to perform medicine. I am also pretty sure even if i was a doctor people need to recognize me as a doctor for me to make any headway. Hell at any job where you are seeking a promotion you could see yourself as a the best person there, but that doesn't mean crap if other people don't see it. This saying only applies when the situation is something like someone thinks you're a douchebag and you know it isn't true. However from my experience usually the worst people think higher of themselves than they deserve. Pretty sure Hitler thought he was pretty great.

"It could be worse." - Yeah, I know that jackass. I know there is always the possibility that a rabid monkey could run into the room at this exact moment and throw feces at me, and rip my fingers off, but that doesn't make the situation I find myself in currently to be any better, nor does it bring anyone any comfort, ever. I don't remember the last time I was told this and said "Gee! Now I feel so much better about the current situation!" It's like the rudest thing to say to someone who is having a terrible day.

"You know how it goes..." - This is almost always used for explaining something to someone that you don't have the energy to explain but a majority of the time is such a complex story that there is no way that they know what happens without you explaining it to them. So no, I do not know how it goes.

"I'll pray for you." - I get that this is meant to be nice, but generally it doesn't help the situation anymore than saying "that sucks". I just had my car break down and it costs $800 to fix it and I am broke, but the best thing you could say is "I'll pray for you". Is God going to throw $800 from the sky? How about you donate to helping me fix the car or be honest and tell me you don't give a crap enough about my problems to do anything to actually help.

"Honesty is the best policy" - No it isn't. 9/10 people would rather you lie to them than tell them the truth. How often have you filled out a job application and see the desired pay slot and put some crap like "negotiable" or some lowball number? When have you ever put you'd like to make $1,000 an hour or whatever the boss is making? Because that's how you really feel. Or how often have you put that you left your last job because you want more cash in your pocket and was hoping this job would offer a little more? Hell when's the last time you just wrote "I honestly don't want a job at all, but they won't pay me to sit at home and play video games yet, so here I am."

This one is especially not true to those of you who have friends who ask for your opinions on things. Trust me, sometimes people do not admire your honesty, in fact rarely do they do so. Most of the time they are pissed off because they are being told what they don't want to hear. The saying should be "be honest when it doesn't make people upset, but the rest of the time, lie when it's convenient."

"YOLO" - I think a lot of us hate this one. Mostly because it's used as an excuse to do something incredibly stupid. "You only live once, so might as well do something stupid to make sure that life is as short as possible."

What about you guys? What are some phrases you hate/think need changing/should stop being used?

I'm all ears - Are you really? Because I don't think you are.

Keep your eyes peeled - This one goes out to @@Simon, @ Does that really sound advantageous, peeling your eyes?

Walk a mile in my shoes - Feet are gross. Get your own damned footwear.

• Brohoof 3

'It is what it is.' This statement us the equivalent of saying red is red or some other pointless axiom with no further value. It essentially amounts to saying 'Deal with it' and 'I'm not going to try and change it'. Yes it's important to understand the circumstances you are in and even accept that some things may never change, but nothing is less useful than this trite expression.

In terms of real life, YOLO was always the dumbest thing I ever heard. It just a phrase used to encourage really stupid and deadly behavior

I'm pretty mixed on "I'll keep them in my thoughts and prayers", in the grand scheme of things I don't have a problem with it, as all its really doing is sharing good will, and it's usually used by people who can't really do much else, either because they don't have the money, power, or resources to do so. The thing is, I also see it used frequently used by people who DO have said money or power to do so and they could be using that to help those that are supposedly in their thoughts and prayers, but they obviously have better things to do than to help them. Like whenever I see a politician or celebrity say it, I feel they're basically saying "that sucks. Oh well"

In the gaming world, I often here fans say "A bad game is forever bad, a delayed game is eventually good" a famous quote by Shigeru Miyamoto, for whenever people are upset when a game gets delayed.

Thing is, it's been proven so many times to not always be correct and not all delayed games turn out good there have been many delayed games that do end up being absolutely terrible. Also it may just be me, but I remember the quote being different, with the last bit going "a delayed game is only temporary" which I feel makes more sense

"Things would be better if you were more positive." I'm usually one to encourage some positivity, but this platitude almost completely suggests that it was the receiver's fault and there is purely no other reason for it. You really do deserve to get punched in the face if you ever say this.

"If you knew what I knew, you’d think differently." Except I'm not you, and others aren't obligated to listen to whining and complaining they don't even understand.

"The best revenge is to have a fulfilling life." No, the best 'revenge' is to get people who inflicted damage on you appropiate justice.

"What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger." Laughably incorrect.

• Brohoof 2

"It could be worse."

I love that one. I once deeply shocked someone by replying to this statement with "Yeah, I could have your stupid fucking head, for instance." In my defense, I was having an exceptionally shitty day and I was far beyond any form of politesse, and I didn't even know this person.

'Better luck next time'. I especially hate this one because people sometimes say this to me after I lose a fencing match. The last thing I want to hear at such a moment is that phrase. Just shut up and leave me alone, or join me in telling me I'm a fucking idiot, but don't give me those inane remarks.

'Just try to see my point of view'. Believe me, I have. I only speak out very bluntly against things I consider patently ridiculous after trying to see some kind of merit in them, so if you feel the need to use this phrase to convince me of something, I already know you have nothing left to say.

The next one is one of which I can never determine if it's said in earnest or by trolls, but it pisses me off either way: 'Check your privilege'. I hate SJWs and political correctness so incredibly much I can't even watch the new South Park episodes, despite knowing they're mocking it. Its very presence ignites a murderous rage within me, so if any phrase should be completely erased from the history of the universe, it's this one.

"Have your cake and eat it" - Aw no, I thought I'd just have my cake and NOT eat it! Of course! What a brilliant idea!

"Live every day, as if it was your last" - What a stupid idea! Yeah, lemme just go out and break all the laws and basically go rampaging around town! What? What else do you think I would do if I only had a day left to live? ^_^

"What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger" - Whoever made this phrase clearly hadn't studies PTSD before opening his big mouth.

• Brohoof 3

Hell when's the last time you just wrote "I honestly don't want a job at all, but they won't pay me to sit at home and play video games yet, so here I am."

For my third and current paid job as a boxboy at a grocery store.

But hey, when your business is understaffed, you'll accept all the high school students you can.

How about "Ready when you are!"?

If you say "ready when you are", you mostly likely just mean "I'm ready."  My readiness is not dependent on your readiness.  I will not become ready at the instant you do.  I am ready whether you are or not.

'Better luck next time'. I especially hate this one because people sometimes say this to me after I lose a fencing match. The last thing I want to hear at such a moment is that phrase. Just shut up and leave me alone, or join me in telling me I'm a fucking idiot, but don't give me those inane remarks.

"You learn more when you lose" or "Try to learn from your mistakes" makes far more sense than losing because of "luck" (especially considering it doesn't affect any sort of game that significantly), and honestly people shouldn't really be offended when people actually tell you that.

"People have rough days sometimes" or "It's just a game" are a bit more platitude-level, but they're not phrases I'll be particularly annoyed of when someone says it. Most of the time it's true and when I get a bit angered over tournament chess games it helps to just tell that to myself rather than act like a depressed wreck and get disqualified.

I always hate it when something bad happens to you and people go:

"That sucks"

Yea, I know it sucks. Thanks for stating the obvious. Doesn't help that it always happens when I'm in a bad mood.

I still don't know the rules against cursing so, imma just say that gradeAunderA made a video on t

You can curse here. 

*clears throat*

"Shit"

See?

Just don't go overboard. ;)

"Just get over it"

No..people can't just "get over it" for whatever it is just happened...they may be upset about something or depressed or any number of other reasons. It takes time to "get over it" It doesn't help when someone says "just get over it" and they expect you to instantly feel better or pretend the issue is gone. Doesn't work like that...

Edited by Flutter Baby <3
  • Brohoof 1

"It's just a game"

I seriously hate that one too. The last thing I need to hear when I'm pissed off at losing is that it's just a game. For me that always signifies that the person saying it knows absolutely nothing about competition.

• Brohoof 1

"Just get over it" and "Calm down". Calming down and getting over something doesn't work like that, saying that might even make it worse. 

"It's just a joke/prank"

If somebody is hurt, it doesn't matter what it was originally supposed to be.

• Brohoof 1

"Blind as a bat" and "Sweating like a pig" because bats aren't blind and pigs aren't very sweaty.  Though I did a quick google search on the origin of the pig saying and it turns out that it has something to do iron smelting.

"Hit the ground running" Because it just sounds like a good way to sprain an ankle.

In the gaming world, I often here fans say "A bad game is forever bad, a delayed game is eventually good" a famous quote by Shigeru Miyamoto, for whenever people are upset when a game gets delayed.   Thing is, it's been proven so many times to not always be correct and not all delayed games turn out good there have been many delayed games that do end up being absolutely terrible. Also it may just be me, but I remember the quote being different, with the last bit going "a delayed game is only temporary" which I feel makes more sense

Duke Nukem Forever.

Also that mentality basically says the formula for a good game is simply time, and that is not true. Games don't just magically become good, however some bad games have been remembered better than they were. How many games did you play as a kid that looking back now you realize were crap? Sometimes time makes games worse.

"What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger" - Whoever made this phrase clearly hadn't studies PTSD before opening his big mouth.

Or lost a leg. Because I'm pretty sure after losing my leg, a good portion of my body strength is now gone because I just lost one of the most used muscles in my body. Also I definitely won't be winning any kickboxing matches. There are tons of things you can survive but in a very weakened state. The phrase is often used to refer to things that wouldn't kill you in the first place, like overcoming a bad break up... So it makes even less sense because it actually was never going to kill you in the first place...

The use of the word 'literally' when the speaker actually means 'figuratively'.

e.g. "I literally died laughing."

Well then you're awfully chatty for a corpse.

That said, I don't think there are many phrases that mean nothing, but when taken in the context of the culture and situation in which they are used do have some meaning - even if it's just to fill the gap in a converastion. What a lot of the comments seem to be annoyed with is using these statements in the wrong context - which reveals the lack of sense when taken literally.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 3

The use of the word 'literally' when the speaker actually means 'figuratively'.

e.g. "I literally died laughing."

Well then you're awfully chatty for a corpse.

That said, I don't think there are many phrases that mean nothing, but when taken in the context of the culture and situation in which they are used do have some meaning - even if it's just to fill the gap in a converastion. What a lot of the comments seem to be annoyed with is using these statements in the wrong context - which reveals the lack of sense when taken literally.

Using "literally" incorrectly isn't really an unhelpful phrase, just a diction error or redundancy. It's the same thing as people using "ironic", "ultimate" or "travesty" incorrectly. ( People I know use "redundant" incorrectly too. )

And yes, not all platitudes are bad, but usually the reason they're disliked is that they're so overused for all the wrong reasons that their actual meaning is lost. For example, that "It's just a game" makes far more sense if you're not in some massive championship and is more towards people who get disproportionately angered or depressed over losing. Likewise, "nothing to fear but fear itself" was a quote that used to have meaning but people misused it so much others started hating it. Same thing with "love thy neighbor".

• Brohoof 1

"My *inset thing here* is killing me!"

This one is not really bad, but it is one I find endlessly amusing. When someone says that their head is killing them for example due to a headache my response usually is "You might want to get that checked out, a murderous head isn't good to have."

I know, my response is actually even more dumb but I find it funny. XD 

Many have already pointed out phrases that I friggin' hate already, 

Here is one I don't like:

"Just keep trying."

THAT, I friggin' hate that. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying people should give up when the going ets tough or anything, but that phrasing just pisses me off. When someone tells me that, it comes across as so bland and empty that it actually makes me feel less motivated. Like yes, I know I should keep trying, but maybe I have no idea what to do or how to do it or even the mental capacity to do it, there are so many variables in play. I know not everyone can know those variables but that is why I wish that phrase wouldn't be such a popular thing to say. 

• Brohoof 1

"Real men don't cry".

That one irritates me because crying does not mean that a man is weak. I think that crying makes a man stronger, because it shows that he isn't afraid to express how he feels. Crying is something that all humans do; not just women.

• Brohoof 3