Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Most disappointing game you have ever played?

SrFrog

The most disappointing game I've ever played was Toy Story 3 for the DS. I know putting a licensed game as my most disappointing game seems like cheating, but up until that point I had good experiences with licensed games, mostly the SpongeBob ones. Toy Story 3 though... that game was nothing but a couple hours of button prompts. It was really boring, but for whatever reason I played through the entire thing.

37 minutes ago, kaiser5578 said:

Overwatch

one day in and I realize, wait this is just a TF2 knock off. Did I really just drop $50 on this when I have a better, more diverse, free version?

Yeah, I agree. I had fun with Overwatch for a while, but I was never having any more fun than I was already having with TF2.

I'm sorry if I've said this before but oh well.

Metroid Other M. What a travesty. Awful story, average gameplay, nothing that made the likes of Super, Prime 1 and Zero Mission Memorable, bland voice acting. And the hype surrounding it was enormous.  I hate Other M and don't consider it Canon

I'm so glad Prime 4 is coming out.

12 hours ago, kaiser5578 said:

Overwatch

one day in and I realize, wait this is just a TF2 knock off. Did I really just drop $50 on this when I have a better, more diverse, free version?

I fully admit I haven't played much of Overwatch but I honestly can't see the appeal. When compared to TF2, it feels less refined, clogged up, and flashy with characters who were made to be marketable rather than lovable. TF2 isn't perfect but theirs a reason why people play it it 10 years later.

As for me, Steven Universe: Save the Light has got to be mine.

The game was hyped as a more expansive console RPG based off Steven Universe and it technically was, but it just fell flat in so many areas. The biggest problem was how safe it was. The game was canon (why oh god why do studios make this stuff canon? it just limits what the developers can do!) but it didn't add much of anything to the universe of Steven Universe. All it added was a boring villain with a bland personality and ugly design. To top things off, the plot and writing of the game just didn't get what makes Steven Universe so endearing. It lacked all the heart and instead dialed up on Steven Universe's humor of obnoxious levels. The gameplay was actually really good with a basic but fun combat system, but even it was marred by repetitive enemies and tactics. 

I think the best way to handle license games is where they follow the general story or motif of the series they're based off of but expand upon it greatly. Just shoving in things that were in the properly you're adapting is lazy and predictable. It's why Stick of Truth didn't really hold up on my repeated playthroughs I think.

Edited by Galaxian Darkanine
Grammar.

Good God there are too many games I found to be disappointing, therefore I'll just list a short few...

• Bioshock Infinite
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (kinda)
  • Overwatch

I could go on for ages, but I'd say these were the fundamental games I found disappointing.  

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, SnakeEater said:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (kinda)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that game have an absolutely pathetic length? Like, 3-4 hours pathetic? :maud:

3 minutes ago, Recherche said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that game have an absolutely pathetic length? Like, 3-4 hours pathetic? :maud:

You're thinking of the prequel, Ground Zeros.

• Brohoof 2

17 hours ago, Celli said:

Metroid Other M. What a travesty. Awful story, average gameplay, nothing that made the likes of Super, Prime 1 and Zero Mission Memorable, bland voice acting. And the hype surrounding it was enormous.  I hate Other M and don't consider it Canon

Thanks for reminding me to add the Other M versions of Samus and Adam to my "Worst Protagonists Ever" thread, BTW.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, A.V. said:

Thanks for reminding me to add the Other M versions of Samus and Adam to my "Worst Protagonists Ever" thread, BTW.

Samus in other M is such a caricature of the Samus from the other, better games that she may as well be a different character. Samus in the Prime Trilogy was so good because she let her actions speak for herself. Other M Samus is an annoying whiner who monologues constantly and fawns over Adam. 

God I'm so glad Prime 4 is coming. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Stone Cold Steve Tuna said:

IMG_5411.JPG It's by no means a terrible game, but State of Decay 2 gives you a feel of not being finished.  Very disappointed so far.

That seems to be the general consensus. I didn’t have high expectations for the game, but it is still disappointing to hear.

FFVIII, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro: Gateway To Glimmer.

FFVIII - Disappointed me because the story was pretty bad and was difficult to get into, the junctioning system was awful and kind of a time sink and the in-game graphics were hurting my eyes.

Crash Bandicoot - Disappointed me because of it's tediously difficult nature and a certain save glitch, which meant I couldn't save the game... I also hated the hog riding levels and the ones where you can't see what's in front of you.

Spyro: Gateway To Glimmer - Disappointed me because of the hype and praise surrounding the game to this day, how it is often touted as a vast improvement to the original and how, for me, it massively failed to live up to that. The main difference between the first Spyro and the second, is that the first one was a lot of fun, had a great soundtrack and did not bog you down with side quests and minigames necessary to take on the final boss, where as the second one felt more like a chore to get through, had a rather weak soundtrack with only one or two memorable tracks (Sunny Beach and Magma Cone) and forced you to get all the tailsmans and orbs in each hub world to fight the bosses in that world. In the first game, killing enemies was highly satisfying, partially due to them dropping gems, statues and pearls, whereas in Glimmer, killing enemies is not very satisfying and yet is a necessity if you want the powerups to complete the side quests. Yes, Glimmer might have better boss fights, a better camera and a better story, but that does not make it a good game, as it's predecessor proved. I hate that the charging speed is slower than the original game and that you're forced to rely on certain NPCs in order to progress. I hate that completing the minigames are necessary to being able to take on the final boss, rather than having a single requirement. I hate the unnecessary level cutscenes and how at some points, they're unskippable. And finally, I hate that the game was highly unsatisfying, because the some of the technical aspects were actually well done. Overall, though, it is one of the most overrated games I've ever played and deserves no higher than a 6/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Most disappointing game I ever played?  Well, let's just say that, at one time, I owned a copy of the infamous E. T. The Extraterrestrial game for the Atari 2600, and after about 20 minutes of trying to play that train-wreck, let's just say that I was not surprised at all to discover that game was a major contributing factor to an event that almost destroyed the ENTIRE video game industry....

I would have to say that the game that disappointed me the most was Kinetic Void. I bought it mostly for the shipbuilding, but that was bad. So bad, in fact, I stopped playing the game the same day I bought it before I experienced the rest of the game. But don't worry, the reviews that I found online afterwards indicate that the shipbuilding is the best part of the game. Even better, the game has not been updated since I purchased it. Over three years ago.

Not a game that I would recommend to any of my friends.

A game called “Getting Over It”.

It’s fun for a few minutes, has a decent simple concept, but holy crap is it overly frustrating. That’s the whole point, but I get annoyed & frustrated very easily and my patience wears thin after awhile.

It’s partially my fault that I didn’t like it, but meh lol.

In conclusion, it was a good idea, graphics were okay, but just not the game for me. Thank goodness it was free!

To this day it is still Final Fantasy XIII. Most people complain about it being "Final Hallway XIII" because of it's linearity, but that wasn't the issue for me. FFX was linear and it was fun. The world just seemed empty. In other FF games, you learn about the world by interacting with NPC's and exploration. In XIII, you read a data log. There are few NPC's to interact with. Hallway, fight, hallway, fight, hallway, boss. Rinse and repeat. Other FF games are like novels with evenly spaced chapters. FFXIII is like a 500 page run-on sentence.

It's been more than 8 years and I'm still mad and Square Enix still hasn't responded to my letter requesting a formal apology.

Fallout 4

There are others but Fallout 4 takes the cake for being the biggest let down of my life...gaming wise of course. I thought Bethesda was going h.a.m. when they made Skyrim. 100+ hours, and gnarly quests. Plus an environment that captivated audiences for years to come. Then I heard about Fallout 4..."Oh boy!", i thought, 100 hours in Boston? Heck ya!" Upon purchasing the game, i accidentally finished it in 5 hours(minus side quests and base building). Second play-through was when i knew i bought a big middle finger.

Base building was a nightmare. Gathering resources was tedious and took away from the experience. The story was horrible with an even lamer ending that left a sour taste in my mouth. Cut content that would have made aspects of the game more appealing and fun. Last but not least are the quests. There are radiant quests, which spawned a meme. There is also the side quests that are too few in numbers. I still managed to complete the game in under 8 hours including the side quests.

DLC i havent tried yet, but according to other peoples play thorughs i saw, they seem short as well. Only way I can play Fallout 4 is with mods....and im talking about at least 100 mods.

(edited)

i was pretty dissapointed when the first dragon age came out,mostly because i had great expectations it being bioware and kind of a successor to baldurs gate and Neverwinter
but Sacred 3 takes the cake i think

edit: i just remembered elder scrolls online,it was certainly the biggest dissapointment in my videogame history

Edited by lordvaltasar

Halo 4

Mainly because of the art style,the crappy spartan ops,loadouts,odd colors,Forerunners,Cortana,that freakin Sarah Palmer,and 343. Y’know,I never understood the story until I read Halo 4 lore...that’s crap...also the stupid armor! The ones such as EOD,MKVI are fine but the others such as Promethian or whatever are crappy. Alt least the forge is good.

New Vegas

Don't get me wrong,I love Vegas! It’s a great game but the reason why it’s here is because my friend overhyped the game for me. I expected sandstorms,trench coats,and more customization. It’s a great game but it was overhyped to me

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 game

It was decent,but it had some terrible replay ability and bad dialogue

Ghostbusters PS4

This was a tremendous let down! My brother got this for Christmas,but it was boring! Mainly because none of the original cast was there,and just because it was repetitive. Someone please tell me the GOOD ghostbuster games please.

COD BO3

Yes I thought about giving the jet packs a chance but boy did I regret it...

Lego Batman 3

it was fun for a bit,but it got boring because Lego Avengers was WAY ahead of them. I love LEGO games but LEGO Batman 3 was boring. (Except for that Adam West mission)

(edited)

I've heard many positive things about the Spyro series. I just don't know what the developers were smoking when they made Shadow Legacy. Absolutely abysmal.

Edited by Cash_In

(edited)
On 6/15/2018 at 6:36 AM, Twiggy said:

To this day it is still Final Fantasy XIII. Most people complain about it being "Final Hallway XIII" because of it's linearity, but that wasn't the issue for me. FFX was linear and it was fun. The world just seemed empty. In other FF games, you learn about the world by interacting with NPC's and exploration. In XIII, you read a data log. There are few NPC's to interact with. Hallway, fight, hallway, fight, hallway, boss. Rinse and repeat. Other FF games are like novels with evenly spaced chapters. FFXIII is like a 500 page run-on sentence.

It's been more than 8 years and I'm still mad and Square Enix still hasn't responded to my letter requesting a formal apology.

Hey, hallways can be cool; just be sure to decorate them properly (XIII didn't, so here we are). :laugh:

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1