Did you like the episode?  

186 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it; period. -_-
    • I didn't care for it.
    • It was total meh.
    • I liked it well enough.
    • THAT WAS A RIP-ROARING GOOD SHOW!! <3

This episode had a Season 1 feel to it when having a simple concept and really surprising us with twist and turns, not bad for a simple Applejack episode I might add. No one was written out of character, also nobody was hit with the idiot stick.

So, 7.0/10.

3a5.gif

Wait, someone said Spoiled Rich was in this episode? Where?

Here's a screenshot of her, sporting a spa hairdo different from the one she had in "Crusaders of the Lost Mark":

post-25740-0-35319000-1464457250.jpg

She was also listed in the credits. It was interesting to see her outside of her "bully mother" ponysona, though from AJ's reaction to her bragging about living in a mansion, the Mane 6 probably don't think much of her.

Since it doesn't feel right to end on a shot of Spoiled, have some perplexed Spike adorableness instead:  :wub:

post-25740-0-46998300-1464458516_thumb.png

yes, i'm so glad they didn't forget the middle eastern accents from the first season.  the spa ponies are my favorite background characters...

possibly another reason that I overvalue this ep

Oooh?! They are your favs? Well, they're super excited to have a fan.  :D

medium.png

For example, you lost something but you have to go out rather than spend time looking for it and it's just constantly in your mind throughout the day? I could definitely relate to AJ with that problem.

Don't I know it. When a problem needs fixing, it's super hard for me to put it out of my mind until it's resolved.   :huh:
  • Brohoof 4

Here's a screenshot of her, sporting a spa hairdo different from the one she had in "Crusaders of the Lost Mark":

attachicon.gifSpoiledSpa.jpg

She was also listed in the credits. It was interesting to see her outside of her "bully mother" ponysona, though from AJ's reaction to her bragging about living in a mansion, the Mane 6 probably don't think much of her.

Since it doesn't feel right to end on a shot of Spoiled, have some perplexed Spike adorableness instead:  :wub:

attachicon.gifSpikeStudying.png

That's Spoiled Rich? No way; Spoiled Rich's face is way more scrunched-up than that smooth and smug face....although she did mention a mansion, so....fine. *pouts about being wrong*

Only looking at it through Act 2, but I think the coloring has to do with the temperature of the steam. The deeper into the red, the hotter the temp.

the industry standard is that green is the desired range, and red is bad.

for instance, look at this commercial refrigerator/freezer gauge.  it shows allowable ranges in green: clicky

• Brohoof 1

the industry standard is that green is the desired range, and red is bad.

for instance, look at this commercial refrigerator/freezer gauge.  it shows allowable ranges in green: clicky

I was talking about how the show was perhaps trying to translate the colors for their steam gauge rather than comply with RL industry standards, but I see what you mean, nonetheless. I apologize for the confusion. :)

(edited)

I was talking about how the show was perhaps trying to translate the colors for their steam gauge rather than comply with RL industry standards, but I see what you mean, nonetheless. I apologize for the confusion. :)

well, the show made is VERY clear.

from a communication perspective, they probably made the right call!  You and I certainyl got the point.

i included the item in a list of engineering nitpicks for a reason! XD

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 1

The episode was great and had good funny moments and returning characters and a good lesson at the end what did you guys thought of it post your answer in the discussion right here

This episode was pretty good and I really enjoyed it. Rarity becoming all prune was interesting because we've never seen ponies looking all prune before. It was also interesting that her horn was all prune because I never knew a unicorn's horn could be like that. It was also interesting that Rarity and AJ had spa days themselves because normally I would only see Rarity and Fluttershy having spa dates. It was funny and cool seeing Rainbow at the spa because of her past actions in "Ponyville Confidential." It was something to see how Twilight and Spike didn't really have much to do with this episode, based on what the early synopsis had stated. The whole suit up moment when AJ attempted to fix the steam room gave me a whole suit up montage from the old batman movies. I also was surprised when my friend told me there was a Mission Impossible moment with Twilight and Spike and I think that was a pretty cool thing to add in there. I did like the lesson in this episode on following a routine, but also learning a better way to make things more efficient. The only thing I didn't like the episode was the entire investigating the steam room problem. This is because I felt that it went on for too long, in my opinion. All in all it was pretty enjoyable episode and I'm really looking forward to next week's episode.  :icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

After back-to-back great episodes, FIM goes back down to earth with the most average episode of the season.

The best part of the episode is Rainbow Dash. She didn't get as much screentime as the rest of the ReMane Four, but she was very in character here. And, Newbie Dash, watch the conversations between her and both Rarity and AJ when she got caught in the spa. THAT is how you do banter correctly! Why do those jokes work? Because the episode explicitly shows that Rarity, AJ, and Dash are good friends, and all three know the banter's all in good fun. They teased her, but they didn't get personal. Newbie Dash, your "banter" was personal.

The worst parts are twofold: the pacing and dialogue.

1. Oddly, there weren't that many good jokes in this episode. AJ doing the chicken dance has storytelling context and makes sense now, but it doesn't work because it's thrusted in a poorly timed slot. Even though it's very light and on the nose, this episode wants us to take the conflict seriously. The Fox Brothers wouldn't write the episode methodically or use a mature moral without a reason. But because the jokes don't work so well and the dialogue's very unnatural, the methodical approach makes Applejack's "Day" Off feel really slow.
  2. Aside from the banter with Rainbow Dash, everything they say's so mechanical, especially the first two acts and prologue. There's no flow in what they say, because nearly everything's expository and complete. More pauses, incomplete sentences, more snappy lines, and verbal reactions would make the conversations feel way more natural. Nobody's out of character or incompetent here, but characterization's more than just personality. The dialogue's much better in Act 3, but it doesn't save the story entirely.

On a personal level, I, too, found it to be boring, but I don't classify it as a flaw because what bores me may excite someone else. Applejack's "Day" Off is not good, but nowhere near bad, either.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

Average episode, though some of the farm scene was rather nonsensical. Other than that, I liked how Applejack's practical problem-solving was highlighted, it's what I find relatable, being a maker and do-er myself. Best part was the spa ponies getting some talk time, always good to flesh out characters more.

As for the beginning, MELTYFACE PONY=TEH SCARINESS. Now now, Hasbro, let's not encourage the creepypasta kids and middle-aged SA Goons, you know how excitable they are and what happens when they get overstimulated.

This episode was pretty good. It felt very Season 1ish, with its simple and slightly predictable plot. That doesn't make it bad per say, just a bit different form what we've been getting. I liked the little things in this one, such as the little sub plot with Rainbow Dash and Applejack's whole "suiting up" montage. I will admit I wish we could have seen more of Twilight and Spike attempting to feed the pigs, but oh well. Overall, this was a pretty good episode 8/10

I was expecting it to be worse to tell you the truth. Like a lot worse, especially since spike was helping on the farm. I expected like AJ and rarity to return and the farm was in shambles or something.

But, as it turns out they went a whole different direction. It's very easy for someone to get in a routine of doing something one way and adding more steps then necessary.

Oh, and I love rainbow dash going to the spa. Her reaction is about the same as mine when new friends catch me watching FIM off my iPod touch. Lol

To finish off , this wasn't the best episode, but it wasn't exactly terrible . It was a little boring and just sorta average. Not every episode can be golden. 5/10

Not every episode has to be razzle-dazzle.  I just loved Applejack's "suiting-up" montage.

It was pretty epic, wasn't it?  :toldya:

I did like the lesson in this episode on following a routine, but also learning a better way to make things more efficient.

It's great practical advice. I've already found some useless things I do that waste time (and are not related to fun).  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

It's great practical advice. I've already found some useless things I do that waste time (and are not related to fun).  :fluttershy:

I sometimes have my own routine to making sure my car is shut off when not in use. I also make sure I turn the headlights off so I don't forget to leave them on. I felt like I could relate to this episode on what Applejack had went through. 

I enjoyed this episode. I don't think it's my favourite of the season, but it's not my least favourite either. Highlights include a decent lesson on overcomplicating things, and Rainbow Dash liking the spa. Yeah, her reaction is along the lines of how a closet Brony might react when being caught in the act of enjoying ponies. Maybe that was the joke. I've never tried going to a spa personally, but it doesn't sound all that bad. It has some fun background gags, like the return of Bulk Biceps as a massager. Apparently two mares kiss, but I didn't spot that and couldn't find it even after rewinding. All in all, I liked the episode just fine. Any excuse for Rarijack is cool with me.

Edit: Apparently the kiss I was informed about was simply Aloe's kiss of greeting Rarity. I guess I never saw that as remarkable enough to make note of...

• Brohoof 1

Okay, either it's my imagination (likely), Rarity and AJ are just short (doubtful), or Caramel looks a LOT taller than he should be.

(edited)

Im gonna run with the rest of the herd here and say that this was a very middle of the road episode. It played things real safe, and pretty much all around felt like a season 1 episode. The first 2 acts were meh, At least they learned how to write Rarity in character, that's a plus. The act I take most issue with was the third.

The moral felt forced as all hell, Applejack is NOT stupid and I have a real hard time believing that she couldn't find more efficient ways of doing things. The whole pig feeding scene reasoning just dripped with so much, are you fucking kidding me?! 

Maybe I would be a bit more forgiving if Applejack didn't demonstrate the moral during act 2. You could make the argument of, "oh well she didn't know she knew it." Ok, fine I guess, but that presents another question. If Applejack almost instinctively made things more convenient for the spa, which she barely ever goes to, then why was she not able to figure out more efficient ways of doing the chores she dose DAILY?

There are so many things that are so wrong and confusing about how contrived this is that I'm finding it difficult to put into words. I don't understand how Applejack already knowing how to solve the problems she has dose for the story, other than the writers shooting themselves in the foot by having the character learn what they already knew. This turned an episode with a moral into nothing more than useless filler. This backwards ass storytelling is unneeded and made the delivery of the moral way more confusing than it needed to be, almost as if the episode was parodying itself.

Its real disappointing cause I have been in this situation. I'm always trying to find ways to make things quicker and more efficient, this moral could have been done real well, I like the idea but is just seems like the fox bros are way in over their heads. They are telling the story in a highly experimental way while keeping things so safe on the surface level to the point where its almost like your mom proofread the episode. 

Just an all over the place mess. 

5.8/10 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 3

The episode was alright but the whole pig feeding scenario painted Applejack as, and pardon me for being blunt, stupid. Why did she even need to open the squeaky gate to begin with? All she needs to do is dump the pail into the trough from outside the fence.

I liked that she fixed the problem in the spa and I think it would have been a better premise for the episode. For example, on the way to the spa Applejack ends up getting distracted helping somepony, then she helps somepony else, then somepony else. Then she finally reaches the spa only to help them too, then lo and behold the day is over and there's no time to relax. Turns out, Applejack's Day Off didn't turn out as anticipated. The lesson here is, it's good to help others but working yourself to exhaustion isn't good. It isn't wrong to take a day for yourself and relax.

• Brohoof 2

The episode was pretty boring, but at least it gave some play to Applejack, who's been pretty underappreciated lately.

Some of the best in Applejack's character came out when she volunteered to fix the steam pipe, and at many points early in the episode, her strengths did contribute to the rising action of the plot.

The biggest downside was that a little bit of plot-induced stupidity seemed necessary, and that the same story didn't need to happen twice. I can see a tendency to overlook simple solutions in favor of doing things the same way over and over again being a part of Applejack's stubbornness, but the excuses made in the episode by both she and the spa ponies don't make a whole lot of sense. It especially makes less sense that Applejack would overlook an efficient solution when "Trade Ya" showed her to be hyper-obsessed with efficiency, but this is where your mileage may vary. Your opinion on this depends on which Applejack you prefer; the one who's stubborn in the pursuit of efficiency or the one who's stubborn in the pursuit of tradition.

The best solution would have been to just simplify the plot, that way there would have been more room to focus on dialogue and entertainment value.

• Brohoof 2

Did a long list of tasks just beat Twilight that is supposedly good at lists?  And does everypony of the Mane 6 combine well in activities with each other? I dont remember but season 5 where I think there was an AJ+Rarity was more interesting, imo those two don't have that much to do here and this was a bit of a filler episode. It was pleasant but nothing special, still nothing to make it a big deal, I don't find anything that went way off. It is more like the kind of episode, this is way too normal 'day' where nothing happens. if it is one, fine but there could be less of filler episodes. What is with the Rrrrr-ussian accents lately, the laundry pony too. But I find Aloe very cute. . Also didnt know this was Spoiled Rich on the front of the queue, good reminder. I liked the country music, this is more pleasant to me than constant singing. 

Didn't know spa centers are as large as castles inside with so many corridors and hidden entrances  :D Overall not bad but nothing special about it, Ive nothing more to add.