Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ponies bringing up the mane six saving the world

Unlikeable Pony

So. as of the last 2 seasons, its become more common for ponies to outright bring up or aknowledge that the mane six are incredibly accomplished individuals who've saved the world on multiple occasions (or at least their relatives have, like zephyr and big mac, and the wonderbolts did as well)

How do you feel about this? Do you like that they're starting to aknowledge that the mane six doing all that, or did you prefer when everyone but Celestia completely ignored the fact that they've done so in their interactions with them and otherwise treated them as 100% "normal" ponies?

• Brohoof 3

If I was them I would actually not want to be treated any different, because it puts me on a pedestal and makes me embarassed. Hero worship which leads inflated egos can happen, and except in very specific episodes that's not really what the show is about.

But I personally like it being acknowledged. It needed to happen. Let's just not have it lead to inflated egos or not being able to go in public places because everyone treats them like some kind of pop idol or famous movie star, mobbing them. Then they'd need guards and an agent for public appearances, and then you may as well make it a business. Ugh.

• Brohoof 2

About time, thought they wouldn't bring it again after Slice of Life. I'm just glad that they're so casual about it, like they are just ponies with a different job, it would change drastically if they were always treated like Equestria's heroines 

• Brohoof 1

Its nice to see, but not exactly as a matter of respect and gratitude to the Mane 6 or Spike. Really, we don't know how far and fast news spreads throughout Equestria and even if they did, there's no reason why they must be entitled to respect from fellow Equestrians. Just ask war veterans.

Acknowledging the heroism and fame of the Mane 6 serves more as a way to establish continuity, something which is at times lacking or conflicting in FiM. It would seem rather odd otherwise if no one in Equestria heard about how Equestria was saved ad nauseum by the same bunch.

Do you like that they're starting to acknowledge that the mane six doing all that, or did you prefer when everyone but Celestia completely ignored the fact that they've done so in their interactions with them and otherwise treated them as 100% "normal" ponies?

Heh, I'd argue that even Celestia ignores their acts of heroism.  Or, to be more accurate, it seems like she often doesn't even know about it.  Take The Cutie Re-Mark for example.  I imagine that Celestia was just sipping tea throughout the whole thing, and at one point she experience a brief bit of deja vu, which was in fact the entire timeline restoring itself, and then she went back to sipping tea, and never knew that anything happened.  And Twilight, knowing her, probably never bothered to mention it.  (I'm being intentionally grouchy about this, btw.)

But I love the fact that they have been acknowledging the heroism.  I agree with the sentiments that it shouldn't change them or make them into worshiped celebrities, though.

That very lack of acknowledgement was a pointed target of (still affectionate) mockery by the fandom.

Yes, exactly.  The recent acknowledgements of their heroic deeds have helped to cement some of the realism and believability of the universe.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I like that they're doing it now, mainly to help drive home the point that the Mane 6 are supposed to be role models. The way Big Mac and Zephyr bring it up evokes a sort of subdued envy and frustration with their current positions; that they're comparing their sisters' positions of high responsibility and high reward, as well as their straight-up competence at it to their relatively mundane lives of thankless work (in Big Mac's case) or not having anything to do at all (for Zephyr).

I don't remember the Wonderbolts bringing it up, but if they did, it was in a similar context, probably in marvel at Rainbow Dash's sense of honor and record of achievements.

Twilight herself even references having gone to "the end of Equestria" and fighting the big bad guys for comparison to the more personal issue she faces in "Amending Fences". I think all of this points to a general trend of more characters and elements from the two-parters having been introduced into the regular episodes since Season 3.

The Mane 6 are supposed to be the ones teaching the other ponies with their experience and maturity, and it's great to see some of their most important experiences be gratefully acknowledged.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I love it. They had a freaking ceremony in Canterlot in Return of Harmony, so it's nice that people finally acknowledge it after seasons of the Mane 6 getting no respect, like when Twilight was denied a taxi in Manehattan despite being a Princess. Granted, I'm pretty sure Manehattanites would have done the same thing to Celestia though...

I mean, I know Rarity and Rainbow Dash (surprisingly) would prefer to get along on their own skills and abilities rather than piggyback off their reputations, and the rest really aren't the types to care about the fact that technically they're famous, but it's still nice to hear it once in a while. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 3

I don't remember the Wonderbolts bringing it up, but if they did, it was in a similar context, probably in marvel at Rainbow Dash's sense of honor and record of achievements.

I think they did bring it in Newbie Dash when they ha a spot for Dashie if I remember well :huh:

It's kind of annoying that Spike's the only one who seems to get and acknowledgement in that world. I mean, yeah he did good a few times, but c'mon. The mane 6 save Equestria on a regular basis.

Its at the very end after dash attention whores out and tries that stunt that goes badly.

After she comes out of the medical tent and apologizes to the wonderbolts and says that figures they probably don't want her on the team anymore, as part of their "Are you kidding?!" speech about how much they actually respect her, they list how she's saved equestria numerous times as one of the reasons they think she'll be a good wonderbolt

• Brohoof 1

I honestly like that the writers kind of sneak that into the episodes. The mane six's popularity has grown at a steady rate that after six seasons I believe it to be about time that others see their potential. Though it might start to cause the main six to become a little irritated.

In my opinion, it's cool to get a little praise and all, but I'd pretty much keep things the same instead of getting showered with stuff like "hey how goes it heros" because it feels too cheesy and embarrassing.

• Brohoof 2

Its at the very end after dash attention whores out and tries that stunt that goes badly.

After she comes out of the medical tent and apologizes to the wonderbolts and says that figures they probably don't want her on the team anymore, as part of their "Are you kidding?!" speech about how much they actually respect her, they list how she's saved equestria numerous times as one of the reasons they think she'll be a good wonderbolt

I wonder if David Rapp is the only writer who notices this? He penned that episode as well as "Flutter Brutter" and both lines used in giving adulation to the Mane 6 are almost identical:

Fleetfoot: "And you've saved all of Equestria like, a dozen times."

Zephyr: "You've literally helped save Equestria, like, a dozen times."

Even if someone doesn't like Rapp as a writer, give him credit for at least giving credit to the Mane 6. (Although he seems to be derivative of himself in writing dialogue...)

I feel like it might be the writers acknowledging one of the main complains that fans bring up. While I agree that it's a good thing that they're finally being given more credit, I'd still like for them to stay "normal" in the sense that they can have typical slice-of-life adventures without their status as the multiple-time saviors of Equestria interfering with their day-to-day lives (i.e. not too much special treatment).

• Brohoof 3

I wonder if David Rapp is the only writer who notices this? He penned that episode as well as "Flutter Brutter" and both lines used in giving adulation to the Mane 6 are almost identical:

Fleetfoot: "And you've saved all of Equestria like, a dozen times."

Zephyr: "You've literally helped save Equestria, like, a dozen times."

Even if someone doesn't like Rapp as a writer, give him credit for at least giving credit to the Mane 6. (Although he seems to be derivative of himself in writing dialogue...)

Nah, it was also aknowledged in brotherhooves social too with BM talking about AJ constantly running off to save equestria, so more writers than just rapp have noticed

I am definitely happy they are doing it this way. Instead of having the ponies be on either extreme, that being either ignoring them completely or being obsessed with them, they are mostly casually bringing it up, which shows acknowledgement but not obsession. Bout time too, considering all they have done thus far.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, it's nice to see this, considering pretty much everypony, with the exception of the princesses, their closest friends and family members of course, in previous seasons din't care a good deal for them. And yeah, it's satisfying to see them doing it in a casual way, without gushing or overreacting. If the "Stranger than Fan Fiction" episode is true, then it'd be interesting to see how the Mane six would react to discovering they have a group of fancolts.

Edited by Dino-Mario

I think that it would eventually lead to the point where the Mane 6 have reached such a status that it would almost have them be expected to save the world. Plus do you suppose it may mean that at some point, something or somepony will put the Mane 6 in a position that they would be UNABLE to save Equestria and considering that ponies like Big Macintosh and Zephyr have expressed a little bit of envy at the Mane 6 being the heroes, would be put in a position in which they have to step in for their sisters to save Equestria?

I've talked about this before.

But if others were to discuss their envy of the Mane 6, I think the Mane 6 would say that they never asked to be the heroes of Equestria. They're heroes because they have to be. The Elements of Harmony chose them because they best represent each of the individual elements. Although I would imagine that the Mane 6 would be getting a little battle weary after all this time and it would be refreshing for them to see some other ponies save the day for once. It'd make for an interesting 2 parter.

I am a firm supporter of any and all consistent continuity in this show. I give a little cheer every time a previous episode's events come up in another episode.

It actually used to really irk me that this didn't happen more often.

I agree with what everyone is saying (can't quote on mobile) but like it kinda annoys me. Sure it's awesome that they acknowledge previous show events and it's not just between the Mane 6 or CMC, but why doesn't any pony celebrate them more?

The Mane 6 has done more than any Wonderbolt yet no one loses their mind when Rarity is in the streets. It seems like everypony doesn't care the Mane 6 saved the world. They acknowledge it but they don't throw parades in their honor nor is any of the Mane 6 uber rich....though, they probably get huge tax cuts.

Heh, I'd argue that even Celestia ignores their acts of heroism.  Or, to be more accurate, it seems like she often doesn't even know about it.  Take The Cutie Re-Mark for example.  I imagine that Celestia was just sipping tea throughout the whole thing, and at one point she experience a brief bit of deja vu, which was in fact the entire timeline restoring itself, and then she went back to sipping tea, and never knew that anything happened.  And Twilight, knowing her, probably never bothered to mention it.  (I'm being intentionally grouchy about this, btw.)

Since no other authority figures did anything in "The Cutie Re-Mark", I'm pretty sure Twilight didn't bother reporting a powerful unicorn that could strip away cutie marks and forced others to live without individuality. Since the other alicorns are hardly relevant, I'm sure they aren't aware of Twilight and Starlight's time travel shenanigans.

• Brohoof 1

Well, they're national heroes at this point. I think it's just fitting that that be acknowledged sometimes. A lot of ponies know them enough to not be in complete awe of them, but they *are* the ponies who saved Equestria several times.