Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Male RPers. Why Do You Choose To Play As Girls?

Denim&Venöm

On a site that's 80% dude, I've noticed a lot of female characters. And it seems to be a trend in most RPG games. So out of curiosity, why do you guys out there play as girls?

Also if any curious ladies are reading and have played as guys before, why do you chose to do so?

• Brohoof 2

Well I've always used female characters but I'm fine to play guys, before I started RPing it was because looking at females was nicer for me. Here with ponies there is a female majority cast, and I just like playing as them but I've certainly got a few stallions on my character roster.

• Brohoof 1

I myself am female and I normally play as female characters (not here, but that might change), but sometimes I like to do something different and play a male character.  One has a hard time growing when they don't explore unfamiliar territory.

Edited by Light of Night
  • Brohoof 2

UPDATE: Gave this a bit more thought and updated it a bit.

Are you sure the site is 80% guys? I've seen tons and tons of girls in the short couple of months I've been on here.

But anyway. The specific reasons I made my current OC female is because I wanted to make her a sort of mix between Celestia and Chrysalis, since I am major fans of them both. Though, I think the main reason my OC is female is because I was creating the kind of character I'd like to see on the show. But apart from that, I agree with the other comments in that by creating female characters, I'm able to do something different. It's fun creating individual personalities for characters both male and female.

Those things and, well... not gonna lie, I think I sort of project the things I find attractive into my characters.

Edited by Chrylestia600
  • Brohoof 1

Well, first off, I don't prefer to only play as females, I like to play as male characters to, but right now I only have one OC, and it is a female. Secondly, I tried to make my character share some similarities to Luna/Nightmare Moon, and really thought a female would work better than a male would for that. So, I would like to play as both male and female characters, I guess I just like making my own characters of both genders and making up their own personalities and such.

Edited by NightmareLuna800

Honestly? It's whatever gender is appropriate to the character I'm playing. Fleur de Lis is a mare on the show, so playing her as a stallion would be kinda against the point of playing a show character. 

On the other hand, Gyrharte models himself after some old fictional characters (who are ponifications of actual fictional characters). It's easier to keep him male as the original models were male. Gender swapping him would mean gender swapping the ponifications.... which is way more effort than I'm willing to put into a character I might not even get to playing. :) 

Outside of MLP RPs, I have characters of many different genders: males, females, gays, lesbians, neuters, attack helicopters (okay, it's a AI that is installed on a dropshuttle in a sci-fi game, but it's the closest I've got to the meme...) I create the character to fit my mental image of it. Whatever gender that happens to be is what it is.

As GM i have to run all sorts of characters, male and female. Never to the same depth as the player characters, but enough to pass muster as believable. That said, I had only played male characters (as a player) up until fairly recently - and the reason I created a few female characters was because had particular designs in mind, otherwise I would probably default to male.

In one case I wanted to create a really powerful / forceful character, so I went for a cross between Angela Merkel and Margaret Thatcher - it was no surprise when she ended up as the de facto leader of the group, not a role my characters usually take. 

In an RP on the MLP Forums, I wanted to play a character that acts tough because they feel that they don't fit in; always trying to be 'one of the lads' but with the sneaking feeling that they are some sort of impostor. In the end, I decided to go for a tomboyish female earth pony and I'm please with how her personality has fitted in so far.

I'm just someone who enjoys playing bother sexes; though admittedly I tend to prefer females as I just find them much more interesting. Why is that? I really don't know, but it is what it is.

I will say this though; when a RPG (MLP, game, etc) gives me the option of making two characters like Divinity: Original Sin or Dragon's Dogma, I will make one male and the other female. I love playing the male/female dynamic while avoiding the romantic angle.

Again; it's just what I find interesting. :)

• Brohoof 1

Well That's a good question, but to answer the question, in MMORPGs like Maple Story and Final Fantasy XI and XIV, there are gender locked characters. Like in maple story, Mihile is gender locked to male and angelic buster is gender locked to female. In Final Fantasy XI, Mithra is gender locked to female and galkas are gender locked to males so pretty much I play as both genders and it's all about looks and character style. Usually there are gender specific equipment in some games as well just like in maple story.

If it's a character that's made before playing the game like my brother chose the female tarutaru in final fantasy XI, I just go with it and stick with the character.

I just do it variety.  I like to work my characters together so having different genders allows for more opportunities.  I always do male characters if I only have one character though.

I got three reasons:

1-I like girls

2-I like girls

3-I like girls that kickass

Maybe because I don't see a character supposed to be your avatar as your avatar, but as a opportunity to make the type of character I like.... and girls are usually on my top priority :lol:

I've always believed it depends on whether they see themselves as the character, separate from the character or they simply don't care. 

I usually see myself as the character, so I don't usually play females....it just feels kinda strange to me o_o

back when i did do rp as a hobby i'd play mostly male characters because my rp group had like 3 boys and a lot of girls so

nowadays i don't rp anymore but i did learn a few little intricacies that make a more convincing male character

I don't play as female characters often, but the few times I have it's because I love badass women in games. It's why I played FemShep in Mass Effect, or why when I get around to playing Bloodborne, my hunter will be female. I was planning on rolling a female rogue for a tabletop game who was secretly a princess, but the game was discontinued before I got the chance.  

On a site that's 80% dude, I've noticed a lot of female characters. And it seems to be a trend in most RPG games. So out of curiosity, why do you guys out there play as girls?

Also if any curious ladies are reading and have played as guys before, why do you chose to do so?

because I know I will never meet a real one

To be honest, it's about the challenge of writing a believable female character for me. I mean, females tend to deal with things like emotions and stress much, much differently than a male character does, which creates an interesting challenge to attempt to portray them realistically after having only witnessed and never experienced the mental differences between the two genders. Besides, MLP:FiM is very clearly a female-focused society. It would be seem rather odd if we showed up and 80% of our characters were male, wouldn't it?

The whole point of roleplay is to step outside of reality, I've spent my whole life being male so sometimes it makes a pleasant change to mix things up a bit, even if it is just in a makebelieve setting.  That being said, when it comes to creative writing style roleplay my main characters have always tended to be male because that's what I understand and It's far easier to make a character convincing when you understand the basic physical construction of said character.

• Brohoof 1

While this is personally not my thing, I can sort of understand why people do.

Although I am genuinely surprised that having other players treat you substantially better was not mentioned in the previous posts.

- Create beautiful looking female character

- Name her something cute or convincing enough for others to assume you are a female gamer

- "Act feminine" and "act cute."

- Most people start treating you significantly nicer, helping you out, and giving you free stuff if it's possible

Before you raise the question, no, it does not work nearly as well with a male character, if at all. One of the few only forseeable negative consequences is some people become so convinced that you are who you seem to be that they "confess their feelings for you," and/or try to date you, which could make for some awkward scenarios.

Probably has something to do with how some RPGs have player bases mainly consisting of males.

Maybe all of this is related to where I came from. In Chinese MMOs pretending you are some cute gamer girl is common practice, and it still works.

Well, to be honest I think It's the same sort of thing as non bronies asking "Male people, why do you choose to watch a show for little girls." Because we enjoy it. The same can be applied to this. It's not that the female characters are better to RP as or anything, but most of the show's cast is female in the first place, whether you like that or not. Plus, to be honest out of the male characters, the only one I find who's ever really been developed as a character is Spike (there might be others I'm forgetting about, but he's the only one I remember off the top of my head), while you have the mane 6, the princesses, the CMC's, they're all tons of female characters with a lot of personality, backstory, development, and, well... Character! It's more fun to RP using a character that has a lot more to them then meets the eye, since there's a lot more you can do with those characters in terms of story and circumstance because of everything we know about them.

its about...

lemme put it this way. an original character, is something you invest time and effort, into making it glorious. and a gender, matters in the long run, about as much as the color scheme, backstory, or personality. a character is a work of art--so why limit your creativity to one gender? 

there's no real reason why i play as female characters, other then a character was needed to add an ingredient to a story, and that character just so happened to be a female. 

it opens a world of possibility, of new personalities, and backstories. because look at it this way...

as a writer, if you were to write a story, would it really be only males, without a female in sight?

• Brohoof 2

Because if I play a videogame or etc I prefer looking at someone attractive. Its not just about attractiveness though. I know females tend to live longer by a few years. Also they seem more emotionally honest/mature more often, and because with ponies the screentime for females is exponentially higher than for males. Also because I wouldn't mind being a shapeshifter, and maybe it has some to do with when I was a kid I was mistaken for a girl multiple times. Also because guys have more social behavior restrictions, they aren't allowed to do pretty or girly things, so its sorta like how people purchase items that are more exclusive or rare like ooo~~, rare imported exotic materials went into the making of this product! Imma get it though idk if its good for anything!

Its about self-exploration I think.

Some psychology might dictate its an over-active Anima archtype being expressed. I think its because males are shut down emotionally more than females, and feel like they ought to be manly, which I think causes emotional pain and stuntedness- too many guys exist who have to act tough and enforce a social norm like anxious alphas who are afraid of associating with things they are curious about or such, so when guys do finally get to do this stuff and not feel shame or such they might decide to go all(or at least more) in.

It might also just be to understand girls more easily also, at some level, as we are not them.

Edited by Lil Pip

I always play as a guy but there are a few games where I've made an exception. There's really only two reasons for this:

1. The guy avatars are shitty and don't match my style.

2. Boobs.