Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you ever buy merchandise that you didn't really need?

ManaMinori

no. i gain nothing from doing so.

i would rather spend my money on something of use than something i honestly do not care much for.

a better thing to do is: save the money, you can really get what you want then.

and you will have less mess in your space to deal with.

i'm pretty frugal, so the times I've done this were strongly out of character.
However, I impulse bought rainbow dash trading card sleeves without checking to see if they were the right size for magic cards 

(they weren't)

the completely stupid thing about this is that I don't use sleeves.  I really don't like them.  
I was buying a product that i'd be annoyed to use, just because they had a pony on them. 

These rare moments where i let myself make an impulse purchase go wrong so often that they drastically increase the time before I do it again.  I can't remember the last time that I made an impulse buy and later thought "wow, that was a great deal"

Edited by weesh

The only pony merchandise that I get are the IDW comics, and Super and Ultra Rare cards from the MLP CCG to add to my collection. I don't see myself as buying something I don't need as what I get is for personal enjoyment and collecting.

Just shopping, and you come across something pony, and buy it without thinking, or REALLY even wanting it that much, but really, just because it's pony related? Has anyone ever been victim of this?

I've been looking for some pony stuff, but I don't have $300.00 to spend on 1 plushie. Fandom stuff is expensive.

For my first couple of years in the fandom, I did this a lot more than I should have I think. I was obsessed with getting any MLP merchandise that I saw in a store. Well, not everything, but I was tempted. It was the excitement of watching the show and the being in the fandom that usually came over me.

• Brohoof 1

Eeyup, that's about how it goes for me. Back when I had money to blow, if I saw anything that had ponies on it, I was like, "Yooo, dat's mah fandom!"

It's a nightmare, now. Every day, I wake up thinking, "My god, I spent 20 bucks on an MLP blanket that's too small for me."

Edited by GeekySonic
  • Brohoof 1

Eeyup, that's about how it goes for me. Back when I had money to blow, if I saw anything that ponies on it, I was like, "Yooo, dat's mah fandom!"

It's a nightmare, now. Every day, I wake up thinking, "My god, I spent 20 bucks on an MLP blanket that's too small for me."

You just gave me a million dollar startup idea - extra large MLP blankets. D:

• Brohoof 1

Everybody buys stuff they don't need now and again.  In fact, I have a couple friends who do that all the time, and they're supposed to be strapped for cash.  Me, I don't buy MLP stuff, but I have bought a few big-ticket items that I didn't need.  And I know I have bought waaay more digital assets than I need.

I'm guilty of picking up random pony merch to which I don't need. I don't know but I always had a feeling like if I don't get it now then it's never as merchandise are disappearing from shelves. I always though to myself that if I bought any piece of merch, in return I help the show to prosper and live on for as long if I can find something interesting to buy.

Yea, sometimes...I see pony merch at the local Dollarama sometimes and just hafta buy it, since it's cheaper than full retail. I once searched 2 boxes of blindbags for a Fluttershy, Spitfire and Soarin blindbag....went by the codes.

I've got multiples of the same/similar Fluttershy brushables and vinyls....

all the time. 

theres a box full of mint pony merch in our room atm because of this problem. Im gonna be selling/exchanging and doing giveaway raffle prizes on my art pages soon because theres just so much. 

its more because buying pony merch on impulse is a really nice feeling, yes i lose money from it, but ponies bring happiness. I had the same when buying pokemon stuff a few years back. 

Edited by StormBlaze
  • Brohoof 1

No, never.

I do collect figures and I don't really *use* them... You know, I decorate my shelves with them, but I don't treat them as toys to play with. Sadly, pony merch is pretty expensive here, so I can only afford to buy a new item every two months or so. I carefully plan my purchases. ^^'

Yet even with my love for figures, I still prefer useful merch. Like clothes, pencil cases, blankets, mugs and so on. :)

That has happened a few times in the past, yes. One of those was probably the MLP advent calendar that gave me the three blind bags I already had. I still bought it even though I knew which ponies I was going to get, but Christmas worked as a good enough reason.

I've only got 2 plushies, one of Twilight and one of Pinkie. I didn't need either of them, but I really liked them and thought they would bring some color to my desk. I didn't buy 'em without thinking just because ponies, but I didn't need them either. So I suppose the answer for me is yes and no. :P

Whilst I know I don't need it, I couldn't resist ordering a 4DE Trixie tonight (#insomniafuelledpurchases)