Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Celebrity Deaths Giving 2016 a Bad Name?

Yoshi89

I feel this has to be addressed because people are still complaining about 2016 taking away celebrities, even after the year ended. I've never seen such comtempt for one single year just because some famous people died. No one is going to live forever, that's a fact. The complaining is completely unnecessary because people are using it to dwarf any accomplishment they did over the year.

• Brohoof 5

It wasn't the only thing wrong with 2016, but there were a ton of notable celebrities dying left and right(who still had a lot left in them might I add), a ton of people's favorites. There were plenty of celebrity deaths in the past, but this year it seems like they decided to take away massive icons in large doses

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 4

While I do hate the idea of celebrity worship, in this particular case I see it as people that were involved in something that people absolutely loved. Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka, Carrie as Leia, these roles were in movies that many people adored. Same goes for the others in their respective media. So it can be quite painful to see someone that remember so fondly simply go away forever. It is pretty sad.

Also, it isn't just these deaths that made the year bad. At least, for me. A certain person being elected for president is another huge problem to me. That was a huge downfall of the year in my eyes.

• Brohoof 5

Muhammad Ali

David Bowie

Prince

George Michael

Carrie Fisher

Alan Rickman

Gene Wilder

Kenny Baker

There are so many big names on the list. Of course people will react. Of course everyone will die but that doesn't stop people from getting sad about it. Especially not when it's people you look up to. People also complain because so many bad things has happened in 2016.

Hurricane Matthew

Terrorist attacks in France

Terrorist attack in Germany

Orlando Shootings

Harambe

US Election

...and fucking Damn Daniel

I don't blame them for hating 2016

• Brohoof 4

I think these people will find out not too long after going through 2017 that it had nothing to do with it being 2016. People die.

There have been other years where lots of celebrities died. I don't remember exactly which... 2005? 2005 is the one I want to think of, but you see, no one makes a big deal about it anymore, so I don't even remember the year. lol

• Brohoof 2

2016 was awful for me personally; I don't really care too much about celebrity deaths or anything like that, and not too many people I know do either. It was just a really stressful year in which a lot of things went terribly wrong for me, and I feel like that is more the general consensus for why the years was bad, rather than celebrity deaths,

Let us not be sad in there death, but instead celebrate their accomplishments while they were still here. It's easy to be sad, but it's better to celebrate everything they've given to this world. They might even have been members of this site but never spoke out about it, they could be watching us from the heavens right now.

Celebrity deaths weren't the only thing that made people despise 2016, but it was seen as the most common trend that made people want to see the year end and not have it drag on any longer. Me? I didn't like 2016 because I lost two important family members within the span of a week. It will be a year my family will never be able to forget.

I don't even care about celebrity deaths and all and I thought 2016 was probably the worst year in a long time. At least since 2003 when we decided to start wasting years of time in the Middle East making terrorism and foreign relations WORSE.

Donald Trump being elected the president of the United States, VR getting more popular (I don't like VR in video games...), DONALD TRUMP being elected the president of the United States, a year of downright disappointing video game titles according to what I've heard (No Man's Sky, Star Fox Zero, MIGHTY no.9...), DONALD TRUMP BECOMING THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, Harambe. Just... Harambe. (Congratulations internet! You've invented a new racist meme that's actually not even funny!), ... DONALD TRUMP BECOMING THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES....

Yeah that one you saw four times was enough, but the rest... oh my word. Donald Trump in the White House alone makes this a horrible year (Well, there went the middle class and all of the progress this country has made in the past 8 years, which is honestly not much... Or maybe the USA might get wiped off the face of the Earth within 5-10 years...), but with all of the other junk, yeah. This year was absolutely HORRENDOUS. I cannot believe I posted this without one swear word. That was REALLY HARD to do. 

The cull of actors and musicians was just a very small glaze of icing on top of a much larger cake.  The increasing instability in the Middle East, and the projection of that across Europe and beyond in the form of the migrant crisis and the massive swathe of terrorist attacks forms the sponge, with a few natural disasters as the layer of jam completing it.

Of course there was also Brexit and Trump, but those can both be considered good things or bad depending on any given individual's point of view.

People like mentioning the celebrity deaths as a reason 2016 sucked because they are really, really trying to make 2016 look like the worst year ever, and it's good shorthand to use without bringing up politics.

With some exceptions, many of the celebrities who died this year were no longer active in their fields. It's an inevitable fact of life; one day our icons will get to a point where they will no longer be able to do the things that made them famous (look at Mariah Carey), and they will probably die within our lifetimes. It's great to celebrate their life and work and the fact that those things will not go away for as long as we live, but we have to move on when there's much bigger problems facing our world, like never-ending war and the very real threat of all of the social progress and the world order of the last 72 years being thrown away by multiple strains of extremist backlash. Eventually, people will have to come back to reality and not waste their emotional energy on a world they only live through vicariously.

• Brohoof 1

I also think bashing 2016 just because of a higher number of celebrity it's pure bullshit :dry:. Yeah, many bad things happened apart from that, but I've been hearing that since forever :dry:

Celebrity deaths weren't the only thing that made people despise 2016, but it was seen as the most common trend that made people want to see the year end and not have it drag on any longer. Me? I didn't like 2016 because I lost two important family members within the span of a week. It will be a year my family will never be able to forget.

Neither do I. Both of my parents were murdered on the road. I'm still pissed about it

• Brohoof 2

Pretty sure people are just using "2016 is the worst year ever" as another way to say "a person I really really hate got elected". If it was about celebrity deaths only then we would have plenty of other years to complain about. 

Tbh only death that really bothered me was the one of Carrie Fisher and her mother. And not just because of who they were. Her mother died right after her daughter died and I find it tragic and truly depressing to hear. 

But it's not celebrities who made me despise 2016 year, but situation in Poland. Our heavy drift towards radicalism of any kind, increae of hatred of one group towards another, politics turning from civilized discussion into shitstorm that can easily remind of how Trump and Clinton behaved during campaign. Bloodlust seen among some of radicals. And it keeps growing. And politicians instead of attempting to stop it allow it to grow even further, sometimes even intentionally inreasing the tension. 

THIS is why I hate 2016 year. I see my own nation rotting right in front of me and I feel so helpless about this situation. All I can do is hope people finally realize all this mess is a waste of our time and finally start talking instead of fighting. 

I don't think ALL celebrities death were the end of the world and though I do find actor and actress like Alan Rickman, Gene Wilder, Carrie and her mother and my LEAEST person to die this year Anton Yelchin ( I really liked him in Charlie Bartlett and the nerdy kid in Star trex *cries* I don't think 2016 was bad at alll... People are just saying these things because of other events (GOOD EVENTS)

Trump getting into office over Killary was the best thing that could had happened to us! Getting out the Eu (brexit winning) was a good thing for Britain! NOW it Frances turn. 

But people are forgetting the people that aren't famous who have been beaten and killed in 2016 

THERE have been milliions of cops killed this year because of a few bad cops...

There have been GAYS killed (Terrorist attack) because of a religious view 

THERE have been 700 people killed in CHICAGO alone..

THERE been trump supporters getting beat up and hurt because of people DISAGREEING with the progressive regressive ways.

Not to mention the many planes that have disappeared flying with 100's of people.  

AND SO MANY more... but they don't always get the recognition they deserve like celebrities do, 

Edited by Starlighty

I don't really know.

All I can say is, it's kind of dumb to blame a year for every bad event. "Man (blah blah) died. 2016 can just fuck off". When Debbie Reynolds died I saw a tweet that  said something like "I will kill 2016. I. will. hunt. you. down." Yeah, that's what I call overreacting.

We don't have "Bad Years" we just have bad days. Celebrities are going to die in 2017. And people act like they don't realize that or something.

I get it though. It really sucks how many people we lost this year. But it's not the year's fault. All that 2016 was was a fucking number. It's the celebrity's unfortunate demise with bad, sometimes uncontrollable health/getting mudered that you should blame for.