Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people hate Jehovah's Witnesses?

ManaMinori

6 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Unfortunately, there are individuals in every group on Earth that give the rest of their group a bad rap.

Good on you sticking up for people that have been good to you, even if you don't see eye-to-eye on everything.

I know what is like to get a bad rap solely based on the stories of me from people with biased perspectives, JWs arent subjegating women, or hiding behind children or forcing them to marry grown men, they just put a lot of psychological fortitude into a very conservative lifestyle, guidance is in giving and opening up doors for people, not criticising the doors people open, especially when nobody is hurt. Someone you are supposed to know doesnt always come first to your psyche, there are reasons why equivalent exchange applies to all things..

1 minute ago, Twiggy said:

They don't actually ask for anyone. Might just be they made a note that someone here was interested, or maybe they've just become overzealous in recent months.

Yes. They keep coming back. Sometimes different people.

I'm not talking to her. You talk to her. :DShe would likely be just as confused as I. She simply waited them out for two minutes and took their pamphlet.

After reading the thread that @Daring_Do linked, I have become intrigued. It definitely seems like a cult. Gonna do some more research on it and will come back with a more educated opinion.

If it turns out that they are a cult, I'm going to greet them next time with a "Hail Odin" and without a shirt on so that they can see all my heathen ink. Wanna see how they respond.

I'm sorry, but that seems really childish of you to suggest. From what I've seen of them, they are well-dressed, respectful people who are only doing what their faith compels them to do. Sure, you might not want them at your door, but isn't is common decency to give them the respect that they're giving you? That don't have to be there at your door, but they are- taking time out of their day, to visit you. They're well-dressed and groomed, and to for people to suggest painting their doors with skulls and pentagrams, coming to their door shirtless, saying offensive phrases- I'm sorry, but no matter how much you hate someone or what they do is deliberately childish, and speaks ill of you, rather than on them. I hardly find it funny. Would you do the same for your boss, or some other visitor, if they bothered to stop by your house? Common courtesy goes a long way, whether you care for them or not. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Rose Coil said:

I know what is like to get a bad rap solely based on the stories of me from people with biased perspectives, JWs arent subjegating women, or hiding behind children or forcing them to marry grown men, they just put a lot of psychological fortitude into a very conservative lifestyle, guidance is in giving and opening up doors for people, not criticising the doors people open, especially when nobody is hurt. Someone you are supposed to know doesnt always come first to your psyche, there are reasons why equivalent exchange applies to all things..

Is it really true that no one is getting hurt, though?

• Brohoof 2

9 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Sure, you might not want them at your door, but isn't is common decency to give them the respect that they're giving you?

In all honesty, if they had any respect to give, they would respect my wishes and stop proselytizing to me week after week, after I've made it clear numerous times that I am not interested at all.

9 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

They're well-dressed and groomed, and to for people to suggest painting their doors with skulls and pentagrams, coming to their door shirtless, saying offensive phrases- I'm sorry, but no matter how much you hate someone or what they do is deliberately childish, and speaks ill of you, rather than on them. I hardly find it funny.

That's fair enough I guess. How about this? Instead of all that, I greet them regularly, and then flip the table on them. Try to pitch how wonderful a feeling it is to connect with the gods of your ancestors, while being respectful the whole way through. That should be a bit more interesting, come to think of it.

Edited by Twiggy
  • Brohoof 1

If i see them i will start preaching about our Lord and Savior Gabe Newell and tell them all about his glorious steam sales and the wrath he brings upon the heathens that attempt to oppose him. 

Just now, DayShadow said:

If i see them i will start preaching about our Lord and Savior Gabe Newell and tell them all about his glorious steam sales and the wrath he brings upon the heathens that attempt to oppose him. 

So I got Undertale recently on Steam; I know the fad's long over but it was a really good game. I really liked it.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Twiggy said:

In all honesty, if they had any respect to give, they would respect my wishes and stop proselytizing week after week, after I've made it clear numerous times that I am not interested at all.

That's fair enough I guess. How about this? Instead of all that, I greet them regularly, and then flip the table on them. Try to pitch how wonderful a feeling it is to connect with the gods of your ancestors, while being respectful the whole way through. That should be a bit more interesting, come to think of it.

again- are they there for you or for your ex? If they're not there for you, and your ex wants to see them, when what should it even matter to you, dude? Just sounds like you're griping, to me. Regardless of who they are or what they do, heck, I'd just be happy I had visitors to check in on ME on a weekly basis. Should feel good knowing people care, and take time out of their day, on a weekly basis to do that. Invite them in. Try- I dunno- getting to KNOW them. Get their side of the story before passing judgement, yanno? The world could use a little more kindness and hospitality. Isn't that why we were drawn to My Little Pony? 

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, CuriUndersXeno said:

Well they can be nice, but no one likes to hear they are wrong I guess, and it takes people out of their schedules and such, people sometimes prefer routine. But they also say if you masturbate its a sin so..

that's true. No one likes to hear they're wrong, but humility is a virtue. And a rarity.  Yeah, it might be an inconvenient time for them to visit, but people's lives aren't always busy. They could schedule a day for them to return when they're not so bust. At least hear them out, yanno? i mean, these people are going through the trouble of getting dressed up, visiting your place, wanting to talk to you about what i can only assume are positive things, in a world that's so full of negativity and chaos- what's so bad about that? It's all about perspective, man. 

10 minutes ago, Daring_Do said:

So I got Undertale recently on Steam; I know the fad's long over but it was a really good game. I really liked it.

I mean, even ignoring the whole pacifism option, it was pretty solid in terms of gender stuff and LGBT stuff, while still being (relatively) family friendly. Toby Fox knows what's up; that's the kind of enlightened creator I wish Alex Hirsch was. Like, as much as I love Gravity Falls, and as much as Alex Hirsch seems like a cool, liberal guy, he totally botched the portrayal of female characters and gender stereotypes and stuff. He did at least try to include as much in the way of LGBT themes as he could get away with with Disney, I guess.

But man, Undertale, it does this kind of thing without even calling attention to it. Just a natural part of the game. My main criticism is that the flagship same-sex ship was two females (though they had those two nameless Royal Guards for a male couple) - This is a whole other thing, but I feel like the greater acceptance of female same-sex relationships is due to sexual objectification and such, you know? For things to feel like their motives are purer, I prefer to see male same-sex couples.

Another reason may be that people are already Christian usually, so when they feel like people are only being nice to 'save' them it might get a little bothersome. So Christians and non-Christians might get bothered I guess, or they feel guilty like they are not good enough to chat with good people or something. Like people who spend their money instead of on their kids on pot.

Edited by CuriUndersXeno

1 hour ago, Daring_Do said:

Is it really true that no one is getting hurt, though?

I know I am not as good as or of a human being morally and of conviction as it stands, but when they hold meetings of excommunication and what not its because they feel the person and their family is owed an explanation, it isnt like they are being forced into going to a meeting once they are departing from the faith. It isnt like joining a faith makes you sell out on your values or trade who you are as an individual, me, I am not a born again JW, I am related to conventional Christians, but Christians in this sense are much more loose about their faith, and its more of a nature than a faith. Being a better person doesnt take away the aspects of you, that make you, well you... and faith doesnt have to be or shouldnt be looked at as a "way out" but you know the people you are supposed to become of, you may never expect, its a big world, and I tend to believe, in love, and I try to believe in friendship, they tend to seem more genuine of those inside of a faith. I can be an abrasive, smart mouthy, quick acting individual, the basis of the duality of my character, is strong, hard working, committed, and quiet. Its just the "pain of being a man" some call it... you dont always choose what life will throw at you, but because people believe things of you or about you, it doesnt make it true, THIS WIDELY applies to JWs, and we have that much in common, and their willingness to invite me into a community where i can grow inter personally, makes becoming a man worth it

These are the things I find troubling, while also kind of scary lol

Edited by Rose Coil

I don't really hate them, but as with all religion I consider their attempts to convince me to follow a deity I don't believe in to be rather misguided, not in the least because their pamphlet assumes that I'll accept the Bible as evidence of their words. That said, I'm actually hoping to have some at my door at some point because I genuinely want to know why they believe what they believe. My girlfriend only got roundabout answers last time they got to our door (when I wasn't there, sadly), so I hope that if they do come by again I'll be there to join in the conversation.

4 minutes ago, KatonRyu said:

I don't really hate them, but as with all religion I consider their attempts to convince me to follow a deity I don't believe in to be rather misguided, not in the least because their pamphlet assumes that I'll accept the Bible as evidence of their words. That said, I'm actually hoping to have some at my door at some point because I genuinely want to know why they believe what they believe. My girlfriend only got roundabout answers last time they got to our door (when I wasn't there, sadly), so I hope that if they do come by again I'll be there to join in the conversation.

When I meet one whenever that day may be I will spend some time to listen to them aswell. There views are not going to change my mind but I also want to hear what they have to say. After all that is concluded I would just politely tell them I am not intrested in their religion and leave it at that. Assuming they leave me alone after that I think I could walk away from that type of experience in a positive light but if I end up being harassed by them like they are sterotyped for doing I think it's fair game to dislike them.

• Brohoof 1

Ah yes, Jehovas Witnesses. Practically the only group that would ring on your doorbell at 5/6 in the morning, asking if you've found Jesus.

Have had only one such.. Unique individual on my door so far. I just respectively told him I were not interested. Quite frankly, it's tempted to show up naked and say "No, but you can help me find him!" if I ever get such another individual on my door. If it's something I really dislike, it's militant/aggressive recruiting into people's religious nonsense.

Edited by Yakamaru
  • Brohoof 1

Well people generally considered them to be annoying and Don't like having religion being forced in their face when they are at home trying to relax.  Or at least that's what I've heard of people's feelings towards them.

I would  have Jehovah's witnesses come over my house once in awhile. (i don't how this happen...) I would get a little reticent toward them..but it's because generally I'm reticent  to anyone; jehovah witness or not. But that doesn't mean I hate them, they're just trying to discuss us about their religion and not trying anything to force it down on us.

They have the free of speech just like anyone else's. Hell, if there is some who would try to shove their ideals down to our throat, they're not the only groups that does it.

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

Usually get them once a week here, they tend to rotate "teams" every month but they use the same dozen-ish people. Some flat out walk away when I open the door, others run with the usual recruitment thing. Not a fan of them ever since one bunch told me I'd be going to hell because I had to go to physio around whatever time it is they have church. Told them I'd see them there and slammed the door :D

Door to door religion sellers are about the only thing worse than those fake energy salespeople.

15 hours ago, Jeric said:

True story. My next door neighbor is a Jehovah's witness. My wife was a practicing Wiccan. They used show up with friends and knock even though we have said we are already aware of their faith, values, and beliefs and they do not fit our own views. They are welcome to come over for refreshments, but please leave the Watchtower at home. They declined but still come over. I eventually went over and requested that they please cease. They continued. 

My wife decided to reverse the issue slightly. She would stop by weekly with oils, candles, and incense and offered to purify the house. They were highly uncomfortable. Especially when she said she could do so from her altar if they had no issues. 

They stopped knocking. 

I would respectfully decline if I disagreed, but I honestly see NO problem with anyone being forthcoming about their faith doing so, as a matter of fact, if a Muslim came to my door (my most known religion of discomfort) invited me to come to a mosque with him, (At least just once to hear him out) I would do it, maybe this would help my perspective on them individually, but the thing about a lot of Wiccans, is they are non traditional "style witches" who dont really know anything about sigils or arcane divinity, or shamanism(White/grey magic) People dont realize there is a core that comes from independent psyche, it isnt a Placebo... its your own physical/psychological threshold of spiritual influence, and yes things like Christianity or Islam, can make people physically stronger, things like wiccanism or Luciferianism(probably my most hated religion, used to be revered) can make people wiser, divinity isnt just glowing holy light, its an arch of influence created by your subconscious and conscious mind.

(saying that about Muslims just in saying, people would feel more compelled to see what they are about, if they were more like Jehovahs Witnesses, probably a fear of racial tensions in certain neighborhoods, but you know moral superiority and supremacy of ideals only ends one way, extend your arm dont smack someone elses.)

this is also where the "elemental" thing comes from, different people make up different elements or are more closely related to a certain element, and I am actually a believer in this, in this belief of druidic shamanism, who you are or what your mind and body is capable of is more closely related to your element than your heritage... certain people have closer elements despite their lineage being further away (rarely) but it is possible... but the reason many atheists are involved with satanism is because it is about self empowerment, and knowledge being purely based on power and continuous evolution.... not just the preceding... these are people that have technology and discover far past your imagination and wouldnt reveal such things to even their governing bodies so much as what they have inside their mind is a key for their own self empowerment, nothing is more valuable than knowledge others do not have, and people always play that game of "i know something you dont know" psyops is human nature, and human nature is lusting for power.... so yes, I enjoy people with simple beliefs, I enjoy people who care to indulge what life is, rather than make themselves out to be kings of such.

Edited by Rose Coil
  • Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, Rose Coil said:

I would respectfully decline if I disagreed, but I honestly see NO problem with anyone being forthcoming about their faith doing so, as a matter of fact, if a Muslim came to my door (my most known religion of discomfort) invited me to come to a mosque with him, (At least just once to hear him out) I would do it

I would definitely recommend that approach. The benefit of being a bit older, having grown up in a mixed faith household, and growing up and attending college in large cities was that we were able to become exposed to just about every faith imaginable. Visits to Temple, a Gurdwara, Mosque's, etc were all enjoyable and illuminating. However I wasn't able to experience everything. If I ever find the opportunity to experience a Native American ritual ... I'm jumping at it. 

Part of the reason we decided to respectfully decline further discussion from our neighbors was that we were already familiar with their faith so there was no personal benefit in terms of increasing our awareness or understanding. Simply put, it was a mere opportunity cost (though if we hadn't ended the visits then it may have actually become risky in later months due to medical reasons).

Yes, one of the reasons that Wicca doesn't have denominations (they have Traditions) is that (with most) there is a slightly greater focus on individual spiritual pathfinding (Gardenarian and Diadanic structured traditions notwithstanding). I also almost wish there would be a greater emphasis on the potential totemic views of some of the Traditions, but I'm not a practitioner of Wicca so it seems unfair to suggest that to them :P.

What you may find amusing is that my wife also held a PsyD, yet she would definitely concur with you about the how faith can diverge from the generally accepted psychological benefits of faith (including the placebo effect). In short, there is something more there. That exploration opens things up to great discussions on Materialism and Solipsism. 

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

I would definitely recommend that approach. The benefit of being a bit older, having grown up in a mixed faith household, and growing up and attending college in large cities was that we were able to become exposed to just about every faith imaginable. Visits to Temple, a Gurdwara, Mosque's, etc were all enjoyable and illuminating. However I wasn't able to experience everything. If I ever find the opportunity to experience a Native American ritual ... I'm jumping at it. 

Part of the reason we decided to respectfully decline further discussion from our neighbors was that we were already familiar with their faith so there was no personal benefit in terms of increasing our awareness or understanding. Simply put, it was a mere opportunity cost (though if we hadn't ended the visits then it may have actually become risky in later months due to medical reasons).

Yes, one of the reasons that Wicca doesn't have denominations (they have Traditions) is that (with most) there is a slightly greater focus on individual spiritual pathfinding (Gardenarian and Diadanic structured traditions notwithstanding). I also almost wish there would be a greater emphasis on the potential totemic views of some of the Traditions, but I'm not a practitioner of Wicca so it seems unfair to suggest that to them :P.

What you may find amusing is that my wife also held a PsyD, yet she would definitely concur with you about the how faith can diverge from the generally accepted psychological benefits of faith (including the placebo effect). In short, there is something more there. That exploration opens things up to great discussions on Materialism and Solipsism. 

From the sounds of it your wife was an actual witch(haha in the good way, well id assume you know) and yes that is the biggest defining difference people have to make for themselves deciding which part of the faith they are in it for, because cults and governing religious bodies usually indulge the inwards inflection of religious influence to obtain material value, when in reality, spiritual, and psychological divinity is much more beneficial to individual discovery. People often use faith for individual gain, and discover little about themselves, they have profiteered and personified what is empowering others while in reality making themselves weaker. When these people "have their illusion destroyed" they fear it was just an illusion all along, but what they are unaware of, is the fact that the illusionist wasnt the puppeteer, he was the puppet all along, and a vessel for transcendence. 

My patience with them was exhausted many years ago when I used to live in Calgary and it was by my own hand no less. The same Jehovah's Witnesses kept on coming to my front door to the point where I pretty much allowed them to influence my way of thinking until my parents finally put a stop to it by telling them to stop coming. I got scolded badly for what I did and since then, I don't tolerate their presence. I still answer the door but I come up with excuses to send them away because I don't want to have a repeat of what happened years ago.

I have never met a Jehovah's witness but I would like to, they seem like enjoyable fellows. I don't see how anyone can hate JWs as a group, perhaps certain individuals. Some people might be uncomfortable with proselytizing but they need to understand that JWs most likely believe that their view is the best way to live a good and happy life on Earth as well as be spiritually connected to God. They're just trying to share that with other people so that they too can experience that life. 

• Brohoof 1