Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you feel about a spin-off MLP:FiM show for adults??

Mind Scape

Okay so I know this might be weird, but hey, we're all pretty weird here....but if there ever was a spin-off MLP:FiM show for adults with adult topics and language, would you watch it? Like when the show ended, and the creators decided to make some new episodes for Adult Swim(That would be a channel to air something like that, right? Correct me if I'm wrong) or youtube or another channel or whatever...basically fanfics brought to 'reality', but all the characters stay the same except they do stuff adults would do and understand like other adult cartoons. Something like this would more likely be fanmade, I'm sure. If this were to happen, I can see the news article titles now: "A My Little Pony show for adults? Something your kids shouldn't be watching!" or "New My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic spin-off show, but for adults" I don't want to go into detail about what kinds of topics this hypothetical new spin-off show would have, just in case someone below the age of 10 is reading this, but just imagine some stuff that happens in fanfics written about a certain ship, I guess ;). I would watch something like that, but honestly I don't know if it would be a good idea if it were to be an official TV show that airs on TV. Is anyone else wondering the same thing? Would anyone actually like this idea? 

• Brohoof 1

I actually don't want a spin-off, I mean the vibe of a spin-off. A spin-off will be fine, but the designs and story must be the same and not like pokemon come with mega evolutions and such, as example. 

I am not a fan of violence and cursing (even though I like Rick and Morty), but ponies and cursing don't really fit. I would prefer a spin-off with Starlight or The Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Except, if they made Fallout: Equestria the cartoon, I am in for that.

• Brohoof 3

No, i say part of my love for the show is it's innocence, I say i don't want a single thing to change about the show the writers do know what they're doing and while there are a few loopholes, it's not the end of the world i say just let the main show go on as a child friendly series.

• Brohoof 4

Well, you find me in a split view about this: the idea of a more mature content for a more mature audience is a good idea, but I don't know; for sure, a silly, Rick and Morty level don't seem to me a good idea. Maybe, something like a story set into the multiverse !

Sombra-verse have a great potential, since is a case, for example, or something from the past of the princesses. 

An official show like Friendship Is Witchcraft would be funny though, with no bad words included. That re-edited MLP fan made show had sufficient amount of humor with a stabilized level. Buy some apples!

apple bloom gif buy some apples ile ilgili görsel sonucu

I wouldn't. The charm of the show, for me at least, is partly in the innocence of a children's cartoon. finfiction.com is rife with fan-made content putting ponies in adult scenarios already.

I don't want or watch it. The current show already attracts a bunch of adult viewers, why make a show just for them? It seems kind of useless to me. Plus, I would not want to watch ponies curse or do certain stuff with each other. It would not be my cup of tea.

Edited by StrawCherry
  • Brohoof 2

I wouldn't really like an adult version. Asides from it getting idiots off my back about "watching a little girl's show" I think it would ruin the show if it was for adults. The show being innocent and kind and such is why I like it. It's so much different than other shows on the tv today. It's kind and full of sweet songs and the ponies are adorable. 

Update: lol I just realized that the show already has plenty of adult watchers. 

Edited by The Equestrian Brony
  • Brohoof 2

I'm afraid I wouldn't like that. I like fan-made parodies etc., but I prefer keeping them that way. Making official stuff like this would ruin the whole magic, that the show has. Anyway, the show actually touches adult topics, but it's not so obvious to spot these in the first place. For example, it shows having a job and its difficulties (mainly Rarity); money management (Sweet Apple Farm) and other general things like socializing, that also apply to adult people-- What's more, adults are the ones, who will understand the problems better and can relate to touched subjects more than kids would have. That's true there's no toxic language, nor sick humor, but that's what wouldn't be nice to see in a friendly environment like this- officially, that is. Besides, there are tons of adult viewers already, so apparently there are these adult aspects in the show already.

So I definitely prefer leaving strong language and sick humor for fans. Just the fact, that something is just a parody changes everything. Official content like this could ruin the way of how you see the characters. :twi: 

• Brohoof 1

Nah, I prefer my official pony stuff as innocent as it is. At most, I'd like a more cynical and sarcastic humor with the occasional mild sexual references, but violence and explicit sex humor no 

I didn't mean a show that was violent, but I take it that an adult MLP:FiM show would still ruin the original family-friendly shows's innocence and would be a bad idea. That's fair I guess, but I wonder if any other cartoon originally for kids got a spin-off series for adults? Though there may be none for the same reason there shouldn't be one for MLP:FiM.

8 minutes ago, Mind Scape said:

I didn't mean a show that was violent, but I take it that an adult MLP:FiM show would still ruin the original family-friendly shows's innocence and would be a bad idea. That's fair I guess, but I wonder if any other cartoon originally for kids got a spin-off series for adults? Though there may be none for the same reason there shouldn't be one for MLP:FiM.

Samurai Jack didn't necessarily get a spin-off, but it did get a 5th season that aired on Adult Swim and upped things for adults. It was received pretty well for the most part, and generally kept up with the tone and spirit of the original. There was also the "Adult Party Cartoon" spin-off of Ren and Stimpy, that was received much less well though.

An MLP spin-off or sequel made for adults could theoretically work, if they kept it in line with the tone and spirit of the original, and preserved the show's optimism, but it'd be a really strange and risky move for a show like this, with a lot of potential for things to go terribly wrong. I don't see any reason for this show, of all shows to go a route like that. Not to mention it'd lose the kid audience obviously, and Hasbro definitely doesn't want that.

• Brohoof 1

I think that any violence would have to be done in such a manner that it was sad but not traumatizing. Cursing does not fit the spirit of the show but might be able to be used sparingly. As far as adult topic well I could stand some more adult situations or problems be touched upon. So I think what I am getting at is that if we wanted an adult spin off that was more mature it must be done very carefully and within the spirit of what makes the original so great.

Plus I'd rather see a spin off where the current Mane six are now the adults and rulers/background characters and the CMC and their class is the focus of the adventures.  

• Brohoof 1

A clear NOPE. In my opinion it would be like giving drugs to a junkie, appeal to a part of the fandom who aren't open to the really good stuff of MLP and thus want something more like everything else, discarding the depth and giving it a superficial paint. Basically "Fame and Misfortune" just showed what kind of people would get totally excited about such a show spinoff just for them.

I'm not generalizing for everybody, but talking about tendencies, and I base this on plenty of social psychology observations.

Once you open your heart fully to the gem of MLP, your mind will stop wanting to control. An adult spinoff would be exactly the kind of trend that needs to stop, that we've seen aplenty already and it won't help, but intensify a social peril.

Edited by Dowlphin
  • Brohoof 2

I think a mature spin off would take away the general warmth that hooked me to the show in the first place.

I enjoy mature content, but not coming from innocent shows such as MLP FiM.

• Brohoof 1

I find the idea of an official adult spin-off like that really creepy so I wouldn't watch it. MLP is good the way it is and doesn't need any adult themes anywhere if you ask me.

Disregarding the controversial nature of such a thing, and how much of sh*tstorm it would cause, I would actually love it.  I'd watch it for sure.  Although, I'm sure it be a massive and awkward paradigm shift when I realized that the actual characters are saying this stuff, and not just a fan-made, parody voice-over by DWK.  I'd still watch it though.  I want a perfect, shot-for-shot, word-for-word remake of Game of Thrones with ponies.  Like, I really want that for real.  Yup, I that weird.  :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

Most of the people enjoy MLP because of it's positive vibes and such. It's also pretty meme. I think it would ruin the entire vibe had it gotten "edgier", so no, I wouldn't want a spin-off like that.

I don't see a reason for it. We love the show as-is, so Hasbro likely wouldn't gain many new viewers, if any. Also, like others have said, it would kind of defeat part of the escapism purpose of MLP if Equestria was just as violent/vulgar as the world we live in. 

Would I watch it once out of morbid curiosity? Probably. Do I want it to happen? Not really.

So making a show that broke all the rules and became a world wide sensation with millions and millions of fan of all kinds isn't enough?

We have so many options for adult content...come on, I wouldn't want to see any such thing.