Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which Episode Convinced You to Stick With the Show, and How do You Feel About it Now?

ShootingStar159

Which episode was good or interesting enough that you decided to watch the rest of the show? And what do you think of the episode now?

The episode that convinced me was also the first episode I ever watched, Read It and Weep. I actually can’t think of a better first episode I could have seen, at least back then when only the first two seasons were out. Growing up, I was that kid you always saw with their nose in a book, and it’s  always bothered me at how basic reading is becoming more and more looked down on, not only by kids but adults as well. An episode trying to get kids to give reading a try was perfect for me. The fact it was also a highly entertaining episode made it amazing to watch.

Now? Well, I can still remember which episode I watched first, and with my memory, that’s pretty impressive. I don’t think I would put the episode on my top ten list, but I definitely still have a big soft spot for it.

• Brohoof 6

I started watching the show midway through season 2, but it wasn't until Magical Mystery Cure that I felt confident that FiM is a show that I would really want to follow.

Even to this day it still remains one of my all time favorite episodes.

• Brohoof 6

The first episode I watched was "Sisterhooves Social" and that was also the episode that got me into the show. I just thought it was a really sweet episode and it made me want to learn more about the characters. :rarity: So then I went back and watched the first two episodes of the show, and I was hooked.

Once I got to know the characters and their personalities a bit better, I found the episode more enjoyable since Rarity's actions meant so much more. I don't rewatch episodes these days, but I would still rate it pretty high.

• Brohoof 4

Didn't take much for me to stick with it, in fact I binged on it after watching the pilot. I got through the first season within a matter of days.

Don't really watch much MLP anymore though. I've been doing the same thing with the Star Trek franchise recenly, and not too long ago I was sort of binge watching "Samurai Jack".

• Brohoof 1

When I decided to give MLP a try, I was determined to watch at least 5 episodes to form a solid opinion. But it was late, and I fell asleep in the middle of Griffon the Brush Off. I decided to watch the rest of it next day, and it kinda went on from that point.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, ShootingStar159 said:

That one’s pretty late in the game. Why that one and not an earlier episode?

I started watching last year and I made a big mistake by starting in Season 6. :adorkable: 

Edited by Bronylicious Wannabe
  • Brohoof 4

I would say "The Ticket Master" was that episode for me. I started watching the series from the first episode, which I thought was watchable, but I wasn't hooked yet. "Friendship Is Magic, Part 2" was much more enjoyable so I decided to watch a third episode to see if I really liked the show. After "The Ticket Master", which I found funnier than the first two (especially Pinkie's songs and the chase scene), I realized I had found something great.

"Applebuck Season" also deserves a mention. After watching "The Ticket Master", I was still a little unsure if I would watch more than 150 episodes of the show, as much as I liked it. But "Applebuck Season" was even better than its predecessor, and it was then that I realized I would end up watching the whole thing.

As for my current opinion on those episodes, I have to admit I haven't rewatched them yet, apart from some short clips (it's been just months since I first saw them). But comparing them to the episodes I've seen later, I still consider "The Ticket Master" a good episode but not quite one of my favorites. "Applebuck Season" is still one of the funniest. :lol:

• Brohoof 4

It wasn't the show that gave me interest in MLP. It was actually fan projects like Turnabout Storm, Friendship is Witchcraft, Epic Wub Time and browsing geek.cheezeburger.com/bronies. The fan content was enticing, but I was hesitant to watch the show, thinking it was dumbed down for toddlers. I can't quite remember when I was proven wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was either Party Of One or Best Night Ever. 

And looking back, hose episodes still hold up, being pivotal in swaying many fans for the former, and challenging the cliche fairy tail tropes for the latter.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Tacodidra said:

I would say "The Ticket Master" was that episode for me. I started watching the series from the first episode, which I thought was watchable, but I wasn't hooked yet.

Yeah, that’s why I worded the question the way I did, I know a lot of people who say the same thing, they started with the first episode but weren’t really sold on the show until later.

• Brohoof 1

I watched the first two episodes of season 1 and thought they were pretty good, but nothing too special. They were good enough for me, so I decided to watch up until episode 10, because I felt ten episodes would be enough to judge the show on. Now, before I finished all ten, I watched a SFM short that had the song 'winter wrap up' playing. I thought it was catchy. I finished episode ten and, thought to myself, 'damn, this show is actually really good! Just one more episode for the night.' And the next episode was Winter Wrap up! I watched the episode, learned the song on guitar, and after that I considered myself a brony!

So I liked the show from the first episode, but Winter Wrap Up is really the episode that sealed the deal for me. I have PMV's and animations from the fandom to thank as well, as those also helped reel me in.

Whenever I hear winter wrap up nowadays I get all nostalgic.:P

• Brohoof 1

Equestria Girls. I'm serious. Most old timers here know the story, so I won't retread it. I wasn't a fan on the film and still feel it has some issues, but it was the catalyst moment that pushed me further thanks to my then preteen kids. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Equestria Girls. I'm serious. Most old timers here know the story, so I won't retread it. I wasn't a fan on the film and still feel it has some issues, but it was the catalyst moment that pushed me further thanks to my then preteen kids. 

I’ve only been here a little under half a year, I know you said it was your kids that got you into it, but nothing about EQG.

Edited by ShootingStar159
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

I’ve only been a little under half a year, I know you said it was your kids that got you into it, but nothing about EQG.

Yep. I was aware of the growing early popularity of the show in late 2010. At a family gathering, it came out that my sister's fiancee was a fan of the show and such. A bunch of the family poked fun at him, but my wife and I kinda defended him a little. Later he suggested I give it a watch. 

I did a bit and was watching on my laptop with the kids. They adored it, and I saw it's quality, but it wasn't clicking yet. Then Sonic Rainboom happened and "Ok that white unicorn pony just dressed up like a Las Vegas call girl!" 

I basically gave up, yet the kids fell in love with the saw. The next few years had be consistently buying then toys and such. It hit 2014 and they were 13 and 12. I was on the couch working on a Saturday and the kids decided to put on EQG in their rooms so as to not bother me. I told them not to be silly and just pop it in the living room. They did and I found myself occasionally watching and paying attention. When it ended I proceeded to make fun of what I saw. My oldest got annoyed and challenged me to watch hand picked episodes that were his favs. I did and ... I kept watching. 

A week later I was humming Art of the Dress in my office at work. That's how it happened. My Brony Origin story. So yeah, I'm a fan of the show because of Equestria Girls. :P

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Jeric said:

Yep. I was aware of the growing early popularity of the show in late 2010. At a family gathering, it came out that my sister's fiancee was a fan of the show and such. A bunch of the family poked fun at him, but my wife and I kinda defended him a little. Later he suggested I give it a watch. 

I did a bit and was watching on my laptop with the kids. They adored it, and I saw it's quality, but it wasn't clicking yet. Then Sonic Rainboom happened and "Ok that white unicorn pony just dressed up like a Las Vegas call girl!" 

I basically gave up, yet the kids fell in love with the saw. The next few years had be consistently buying then toys and such. It hit 2014 and they were 13 and 12. I was on the couch working on a Saturday and the kids decided to put on EQG in their rooms so as to not bother me. I told them not to be silly and just pop it in the living room. They did and I found myself occasionally watching and paying attention. When it ended I proceeded to make fun of what I saw. My oldest got annoyed and challenged me to watch hand picked episodes that were his favs. I did and ... I kept watching. 

A week later I was humming Art of the Dress in my office at work. That's how it happened. My Brony Origin story. So yeah, I'm a fan of the show because of Equestria Girls. :P

Thanks for taking the time to write it out (or dig it out and copy it) again.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Which episode was good or interesting enough that you decided to watch the rest of the show? And what do you think of the episode now?

The episode that convinced me was also the first episode I ever watched, Read It and Weep. I actually can’t think of a better first episode I could have seen, at least back then when only the first two seasons were out. Growing up, I was that kid you always saw with their nose in a book, and it’s  always bothered me at how basic reading is becoming more and more looked down on, not only by kids but adults as well. An episode trying to get kids to give reading a try was perfect for me. The fact it was also a highly entertaining episode made it amazing to watch.

Now? Well, I can still remember which episode I watched first, and with my memory, that’s pretty impressive. I don’t think I would put the episode on my top ten list, but I definitely still have a big soft spot for it.

How funny. That was the first episode I watched! Well, not in full... You see, I just wanted to see what the show was like, so I just picked a random episode and started in the middle (Exactly at this moment). I thought Daring Do was a main character for a good while there. Haha! I was a little disappointed that she was just a character in a book (as far as we knew at the time, obviously), but I did like the adventurous feel of it.

I decided to give it another chance. This time, staring with episode one. I was hooked as soon as Twilight Sparkle started galloping up the stairs to the library and that epic music started playing. I just couldn't wait for the adventure that lied ahead! Wow, nostalgia!

• Brohoof 1

the first episode I watched was "putting your hoof down" but the second episode I watched was "lesson zero" and that episode made me binge watch and got me into the show

• Brohoof 1

Because I came into the fandom through watching Equestria Girls--as in the first movie--it was this that convinced me to learn about how the show lead up to the movie and compelled me into wanting to binge-watch the first three seasons in preparation for the fourth at the time.

• Brohoof 2

None.  Heck I don't even know why I kept watching the show after I finished the pilot. :confused:

In fact, I don't even know how I got interested enough to give it a try in the first place!

By all aspects of my personality I never should've never even been interested in this (especially when the designs were the first thing that caught my eye).

I wonder if there's something bigger going on with me an FiM....maybe something to do with my odd taking to of it, and all 60+ episode ideas I've developed... :ooh:

I remember that the first episodes I watched were A Canterlot Wedding parts 1 and 2. Although now I have a few (although not an excessive number of) issues with them, as a first introduction I saw magical friendship ponies being magical friendship ponies and having a magical wedding... until a face-dancer shows up and incinerates our protagonist in a gout of green fire. That was unexpected. Then part 2 had a magical duel and an invasion of rather nasty looking bugs - they did a lot more than I expected for a children's show, and that merited further investigation.

I went and watched season 1 from the start, and though I wouldn't say there was anything exceptional in the opening two episodes there were nice points that kept me watching for a little while longer (Such as how, when Twilight first faces Nightmare Moon in the Castle, she tricks Nightmare Moon in order to reach the Elements - again I was surprised by a character in a children's show actually *being* clever rather than just having someone say 'you're clever' at her. As an aside, in The Cutie Re-mark she did the same move again. It seems that Nightmare Moon can never resist a direct challenge.)

I would say that it was The Cutie Mark Chronicles that was the key episode - the finding your talent theme hit all the right notes, and as reached my other top episodes such as Lesson ZeroWonderbolt Academy and Amending Fences I was on board for the whole journey.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 2

I actually got in through the pilot. Looking at it now, it’s meh, it’s an alright episode, i’ll still take over some of the more recent episodes and two parters

• Brohoof 2