Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your favorite pony is sick, and she wants you to euthanize her. Do you do it?

KillerKingBakudan

(edited)

Your favorite pony has contracted a rare disease. There is no known cure, but experiments are underway to determine if certain minerals found in the farthest corners of Equestria can be used to create one.

The pony doctors think they may be onto something. However, it's going to take several months to know for sure they have something that can work. And your favorite pony doesn't think she can last that long. She's in pain. A LOT of pain. She has to be given morphine shots every few hours, and because of this, most of her time is spent lying down unconscious. She won't get to see you until the effects wear off and the pain comes back to torment her.

Any positive updates you get from the scientists mean nothing to her at this point. She doesn't want to suffer anymore, and she wants you to end it for her right now. There's no room for misinterpretation, as she says this while vehemently pointing her hoof at a pillow. To drive that message even harder, she tells you that if you don't do it, it would mean you don't care for her feelings at all, and she'll no longer consider you her friend.

There hasn't been a time you didn't hear her screaming for it to stop. And based on what she just said, it's clear that even if she pulls through to the end and gets cured, there's a real possibility that she'll come out of this psychologically damaged for life.

It's a tough call. Do you keep your faith in the doctors and help her survive, or do you respect her wishes and pull the plug?

Edited by KillerKingBakudan
  • Brohoof 2

I would allow her to slip away, holding my hoof. In my personal experience, doctors are untrustworthy and simply stall when they talk about possible cures. Besides that, when a pony knows it's time, it's time. They are in control of their own bodies and lives, and if the only way that they believed the pain and misery would stop and not haunt them in the future is to let them die, then I would most certainly respect their wishes. Not that it would be any easy task letting my dearest Twilight go; it would...but that just goes to show that I would do anything for them.

I would respect RD's wishes, if she truly felt like she couldn't pull through, then I would pull that plug. RD is a thinking intelligent pony, and it's not my decision whether she lives or not. That's her decision, and if she wants to pull that plug, she should at least have her wish granted and be given peace from her suffering. It wouldn't be easy, but in the end it's what she wants, it's her life and therefore it's her decision, not mine.  

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

No, those minerals mean they could be saved. Even if the minerals were not involved, there is still that small chance that they will make it.

As for psychological damage, there are many therapists out there that could help them. I think when they survive they'll be glad I didn't allow them to die.

Even if it wasn't my favorite pony, maybe it's a random guy on the street, maybe even my worst enemy, my morals won't allow me to let someone die.

Letting someone have the plug pulled on them no matter how bad they want it is no different than giving a suicidal man a gun or tying their noose.

I believe NOT allowing them to die is the moral decision.

Edited by Lucid_Nightlight

Trixie wouldn't easily admit weakness so it really must hurt for her to ask this,but still its equestria we're talking about so miracles can happen and even if she won't talk to me again after this i think i' still wouldn't pull the plug,after all to quote the narrator of fall of an empire:
"one thing's for sure,as the ages move on
the harshest of debts is to live with regret,
so chase what you love or you'll find its departed and gone"

She would be given morphine sulphate though a syringe, morphine pills, or have a central line. Also someone in excruciating pain and on morphine is surprisingly lucid, and even mobile. They can be roused. The pain slowly creeps back instead of coming on all at once. Providing you can adjust for tolerance, avoid aspiration, and the stress in the heart from exceeding recommend dosage, the hypothetical doesn't fit. However, if you continue to ensure someone is comfortable constantly on morphine, eventually they will pass due to the longer term effects of the drug. So it's not a moral question. 

Hey look, I win. 

• Brohoof 1

Nothing Fentanyl and Haloperidol cannot handle.

... Or we can go this way cause magic and stuff:

6f697c8fae08e69a58a578711b4e3d0c.gif.058fc3a669faa70b29d544e86eecff79.gif

Reforge that failing flesh into something better.

Mad knowledge? Not even once!

This sounds like an episode idea, maybe something like this:

You know the cure is within reach, and that although that mineral is very hard to find it is possible. There is hope of recovery, and as we learned from Somnambula, we should never give up hope. Rainbow Dash is threatening to not be your friend, but you know her judgement is clouded from all the morphine and pain. You know how important she is, and that her living through is the most important thing. A true friend will want the best for their friends regardless of what happens to them. You travel to help get the mineral, and you bring it back just in time as Rainbow Dash is falling into a coma. You slowly give her the mineral, begging for a response. You wait the most painful five minutes of your life before she starts to stir. She sits up and is at first confused, but Pinkie Pie hugs her so tight she dies. Lol jk, she lives and you hug each other and everything is happy yay the end.

*Note: I assume this mineral is magical and will result in a full recovery. If it means RD will be crippled then it will absolutely crush her. I would pull the plug if it meant that.

*Also, replace "you" with Twilight Sparkle for the episode plot.

This is a cruel question. But to answer it, I'd rather keep her in artificial coma, while the development of the cure is completed.
I was in a similar situation 2 years ago irl when there was really no alternative, here there maybe exists a way out.

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, ExplosionMare said:

not even if she asked me to!

She would be Fluttershy if she asked you for it.

Well, there are a few out of character moments with her now when I think of it? :huh:

• Brohoof 1

There's a simple non-fatal solution: Remember "A Rockhoof and a Hard Place", when Rockhoof gave up on adapting to modern Equestria and asked to be turned to stone? It's been well established that getting turned to stone is totally reversible. So the solution would be to have her turned to stone with instructions to de-stone her when there's a cure ready to go. Like cryonics, only the method for being revived is already there. She gets to stop suffering, and it won't matter if developing the cure takes a little longer (or even way longer) than expected. And if the cure doesn't quite perform as advertised, just re-petrify her until they're ready to try again. No muss, no fuss.

I don’t think I would, not immediately anyway.  I would do what I can to keep them from feeling so much pain.  

But if after awhile the cure just fails to ever work then I’d let them go. 

Yes. Letting someone suffer like that is way worse and it can mark you forever if you don't do it too. Happened to my dad and his mother. He still can't forgive himself.

Edited by Ittoni