Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Do you like reading?

CandyCorn

I have a hard time with it due to poor reading comprehension. D: It also seems so hard to focus on reading something. There's so many other things I want to do other than reading... even when I really do want to read, if that makes sense?

What about you guys? Do you like reading? How often do you read?

• Brohoof 3

I'd consider myself as a "picky reader." I only like to  read if there's something worth reading or if it's interesting enough. Other than that no. 

• Brohoof 3

Here's the thing with me; I actually LOVE reading. I love engrossing myself into some sort of fictional world, time, or circumstance, and I enjoy learning about history, archeology, etc., of real world things. I also love having physical books in my hand; something about them.

That said; I barely ever read. It always feels like I have no time for it and when I do; I feel guilty for doing it. Quite the conundrum as it's more a mental thing I need to overcome. :/

• Brohoof 2

I barely read any 'normal' books but I really like reading scientific books, especially those about astrophysics! When I start reading such a book it becomes very hard for me to stop reading. I'm currently reading. Sometimes, however, it can be quite hard to start reading a book as there are many other things I'd also like to do.

• Brohoof 4

I love reading, and I read every day: when I'm on the bus on my way to work, during the lunch break, and if the book is really interesting I devote all the time I can to it. Right now I'm actually in the middle of two books at the same time.

Recently I also gave audiobooks a try and really enjoyed listening to Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. So if you have poor reading comprehension, maybe consider trying the audio format.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I love math textbooks. I'm self-studying linear algebra so I can understand matrix mechanics. 

Also, I'm finally getting into the Asimov I should've been reading years ago. The guy was a genius, I tell you!

Anyway, ehem, yeah, I love reading. :ticking:

Edited by Arkadios
  • Brohoof 2

growing up, i hated reading and anything that even remotely resembled it, mostly because i had asociated it with school and boring tomes i had to read. then, around the age of 20, i read the Silmarillion, turns out the saying is true, “If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.” i then started buying the "right" books, and reading so many hours per day that it became a hazzard(lack of sleep and socializing to a maximum when a book series was particularly good) so yeah, i love books now, but i don't have so much free time as i used to, so i'm hesitand to start a new series since i know i'll probably get lost in it for a while if i do

• Brohoof 1

Asking me if I like reading, is sort of like asking me if I like breathing. I've joked about it here in the forums, but it's quite true. I love books just as much as Twilight. Remember when Twilight walked into the library in the Castle of the Two Sisters? I felt the exact same way when I walked into the main branch of the NY public library!

(I didn't fly around though or intentionally bury myself in a pile of books. People would have been annoyed!)

There is literally not a day that passes where I don't read. I bring my current book with me everywhere I go!

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, Arkadios said:

Oooh, what genre?

I mainly love detective novels. Anything with loads of suspense, and mystery... And action.

But my book is about Minecraft this time. But not like the ones in stores. It mixes both minecarft and real life survival, has loads of action and mystery to it.

Edited by Sondash Studios
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Lord Valtasar said:

growing up, i hated reading and anything that even remotely resembled it, mostly because i had asociated it with school and boring tomes i had to read. then, around the age of 20, i read the Silmarillion, turns out the saying is true, “If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.” i then started buying the "right" books, and reading so many hours per day that it became a hazzard(lack of sleep and socializing to a maximum when a book series was particularly good) so yeah, i love books now, but i don't have so much free time as i used to, so i'm hesitand to start a new series since i know i'll probably get lost in it for a while if i do

Hate to think that The Silmarillion is "the right book". Don't get me wrong, its an important part of the lore, and they tried really hard to at least get them internally consistant - but its a really hard book to approach, especially if you haven't already read the hobbit and Lotr...

I love reading but only certain books. it's hard to find the right novel and the time to read it! 

My latest read is the Willie Nelson AutoBiography "it's a long story". It's a captivating read but I'm so busy at work I haven't piked it up in at least a month 

I enjoy reading, but it's hard to find a good book I can get into. When I do find a good work of fiction, I devour it in a few days. Dan Brown was good for a while until I caught on to his formula midway through Origin and lost interest.

1 hour ago, CypherHoof said:

Hate to think that The Silmarillion is "the right book". Don't get me wrong, its an important part of the lore, and they tried really hard to at least get them internally consistant - but its a really hard book to approach, especially if you haven't already read the hobbit and Lotr...

it's not the easiest book to start with, but i loved the lotr movies so much and i wanted to know more(a friend was telling me some stories from it and i couldn't resist after that) so it was what got me to start reading

I LOVE READING! It’s one of my favorite things to do! But only if it’s about fantasy, I don’t like reading the news, history and all that Jazz, (unless it’s something that actually interests me) I’d rather loose myself in an adventure!

• Brohoof 1

It depends WHAT I'm reading more than anything. I've read the original Jurassic Park book many times and I've read lots of HP Lovecraft, but I can't get through some required reading I had in school because some of the stories they were seemingly designed to bore. I don't really read often at the moment because my current selection isn't entirely to my liking, and the library in town has a pretty bad selection...