Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you like adult Spike's design?

Sepul-Coloratura

I don't know, something feels unnatural for me. It's too much of a humanoid form than dragon. It would be better if he was moving towards those gigantic dragon form, which means longer neck and smaller shoulders. For that matter, Twilight's design seems somewhat weird too, even when we take into account that we aren't used to it. She's too- unpolished and feels like a color changed Celestia without subtle adjustments, maybe it's her mascaras.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 3

Honestly, I dislike it. It’s too...bulky. I never put much thought into what Spike’s adult physic would look like but this doesn’t work for me. I would like to see him more on the slim/sleek side.

• Brohoof 3

I must admit seeing it for the first time felt quite weird. It's not the worst design there could be, but I'm not really the biggest fan of it – I agree on what you said about him looking humanoid.

Hearing the normal Spike voice with that design was also a strange combination. I understand they didn't want to change his voice completely (which wouldn't have been a good choice), but maybe they could have made it a bit deeper or something... It's the perfect voice for younger Spike but doesn't suit the bigger adult version as well.

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 5

I expected Spike to look slimmer and less muscular. Or perhaps shaped like his giant form during Secret of My Excess, except smaller. So this really feels weird.

Edited by Prospekt

Honestly, because he used to be always bullied by the other "jock" dragons as being a tiny wimp, I think this adult form suits him perfectly! Bet very few would bully him now as he's become a beast to say the least! I also kinda feel like thats the point, the tiny underdog becomes this husky gentle giant that stands up for others! :BrightMacContent:

As for the other 5 pones except Twi, did they really have to give them bags under their eyes???? :dry:

• Brohoof 3

Kind of wonder down in the line if he's able to transform into a different form in someway.
Like switching from "humanoid" dragon to "big" dragon form  like what we saw in Secret Of Our Excess(minus the going out of control part).

I am not sure how to feel on his form here, guess I am fine with it though the chin is.. iffy(at least the chin is not bad as how he envisioned his handsome form during the Diamond Dog episode and the Tantabus episode)

I don't mind it. It rubbed me the wrong way when I first saw it, but it soon grew on me. He may be a tad too bulky, but I guess it's to show that the little guy has grown up over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like it. It makes sense for him given that he was seemingly worried about his physical image. You know, looking himself in the mirror to "show off" his none existent muscles, day dreaming about himself like this totally Chad white Knight hero, thinking himself being a ladies man. So is not that ilogical for him to try to make some muscle and probably make it an habit. Also, going to friendship missions can probably give you some extra exercise and given that he's adolescent by that time we saw him in the finale it makes sense.

Of course it gave me a huge surprise when I saw him but not only that, the voice is still his child voice. I don't really mind the body but it would have been more fitting for him to sound older, but I guess it was left that way so the voice actor could have their last episode and send-off too.

On 12/23/19 at 11:40 PM, Megas said:

he looks like a chunky, doofy looking frogman

Megas pretty much sums it up for me. He looks awful. I want a dragon, not a weird buff humanoid creature barely resembling one. 

• Brohoof 1

It's classic 101, the dweeb/nerd grows up to handsome/beautiful. Don't believe me? Check out the Fairly OddParents Live-Action Movies, and the character Tootie. Just saying. ;)

On 12/23/2019 at 7:32 PM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

For that matter, Twilight's design seems somewhat weird too, even when we take into account that we aren't used to it. She's too- unpolished and feels like a color changed Celestia without subtle adjustments, maybe it's her mascaras.

That's because it's exactly what they did. DHX weren't going to make an entirely new character model to be used in only one episode. So they went with a Celestia recolor. Personally I think a Luna one would've been better. 

And no, I'm not a fan of the final design. He doesn't really resemble any of the other adult dragons we've seen. Something resembling his Secret Of My Excess appearance or what the Guardians of Harmony toy looked like would've been more fitting. 

i_love_the_smell_of_friendship_in_the_morning_by_harwicks_art-da1xxni.jpg

• Brohoof 1