Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Prepare for a possible fandom meltdown (likely spoilers)

Steve Piranha

Not sure why anyone would be surprised by this at this point. If it happened once, it will happen again. Having only read bits and pieces, it sounds like she will be a pone that brings the pony races together. If they can do that well, I dont mind. 

• Brohoof 3

I mean I don't have much of a connection to the characters to have much of an opinion on this sort of thing yet. My concern at this stage is really what sort of role social media is going to play in G5. Especially with it being Pipp's hobby.

• Brohoof 3

Hasbros marketing team what you doing bros, first you have her be a unicorn you sell those products then find different variations of said pony but still an unicorn okay then $$$. Now you've already made a lot of money selling her as a unicorn and people no longer want to buy her. Now you add wings and you got alicorn then repeat and $$$ then rinse and repeat. Hasbro-bros you okay.

Yeah no I don't really read anything in regards to g5 but still that's definitely spoilery if it were not for the fact that we kind of just expect some type of alicornisation it makes sense they would as they can sell more varieties of the same product. Hasbro is first and foremost a toy company as such their main focus will always be to create new toys and you know it really is a great strategy to just turn one of them into an alicorn. So now you'll have to buy two types of the same character, however we also must remember that the target demographic isn't necessarily reading equestriadaily and to them it will sell. In fact it is designed to sell, product marketing at its finest. Yet to us as fans of the show, bro hasbro if you want the movie to be successful you need to keep it somewhat secret the plot. 

• Brohoof 4

The toyline is separate from canon, which means there is a good chance that this character will actually not become an alicorn. It is most likely a marketing tactic and not an actual depiction of what is to come.

With that said, if this character does become an alicorn, my reaction and thoughts towards such an event would depend on how it is executed.

• Brohoof 7

My take on this is that the problem is how quickly they're doing this.  I wouldn't mind if a great big story arc entailing several seasons led up to an event like this; that's how it was in G-4, and it worked.  But doing this over the course of a single movie won't work unless either (a) the movie's timeframe is really long, or (b) she does something so amazing, she really does earn this.

I thought of another possibility:  what if this is a temporary transformation, rather than a permanent change?  I mean, there's a little precedent for that in G-4's canon (Cozy Glow's transformation in the finale).

If this were a temporary transformation, do you guys suppose that would that be okay?

• Brohoof 5

I am really hoping that it is either a toy gimmick and nothing else, or a temporary thing that happens once in a blue moon (considering all the other toys of her are as an Earth Pony). If it is permanent however, it could have a negative impact on the generation and it's characters. Just like Twilight, she'd seemingly be put on a pedestal above her friends, which doesn't seem right at all (especially conceding this movie's concept). I'm just really hoping that she doesn't actually become an alicorn, because if she does it could really affect my interest in this new generation.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not reading this thread.
I stay away from major spoilers.
But I just wanted to post anyway pre-emptively to say that with the name of this thread, and similar wording on Equestria Daily about "fandom-shattering", I'm getting worried. I like checking new images on Derpibooru, now I'm worried what I'm going to stumble into for months.
It said it's something going on with the toy line. I don't know if that means only that, or if it will have something to do with the movie or show.
Whatever IT is.
And everyone keeps using the word "possible" spoiler. How am I supposed to know if I should be concerned? :s
Agghh

• Brohoof 2

Unlike eight years ago, I'm not seeing the controversy this time. None of us have a grasp of who the Star Five are beyond previews and tidbits. Back then, fans had already become attached to the Mane Six over multiple seasons, and the show had been developing them over time (with S3 accelerating Twi's growth). Here, they're blank slates. I'll wait and see first.

• Brohoof 7

23 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Unlike eight years ago, I'm not seeing the controversy this time. None of us have a grasp of who the Star Five are beyond previews and tidbits. Back then, fans had already become attached to the Mane Six over multiple seasons, and the show had been developing them over time (with S3 accelerating Twi's growth). Here, they're blank slates. I'll wait and see first.

I agree. Maybe they'll have a story that I'll follow maybe they won't. I'm just the kind of guy to go along for the ride

• Brohoof 5

Huh? That's escalated quickly. Now, I'm not gonna jump on the gun and saying it's gonna be the most worst possible thing like Twlicorn did in 2013 since the G5 movie has not even out yet. TBH, I'm already used to the whole princess alicorn thing since MLP is a toy commercial anyway. At long it has good writing to back it up, I don't mind Sunny turning into an alicorn. As much as I love Unicorn Twilight, I'm fine with Alicorn Twilight since she does earned it. Hell, I was one of the very few people who actually do like Magical Mystery Cure. Say what you will about that episode was being rushed, but at least it felt like a natural progression for Twilight and take her tasks to the next level. Plus, I actually do like this as a series finale more so than the series finale itself (hot take, I know).

I'll give this the benefit of the doubt and wait and see how the movie turned out.

• Brohoof 4

It would make sense for her to be an alicorn. She dreams of reuniting the three “mane” species of pastel horses. Also, alicorns are suspiciously absent. I’m expecting her to ascend, but struggles with her newfound role. After all, she’s a mere earth pony going divine, in a world where that was long gone :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 4

6 hours ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

Yet to us as fans of the show, bro hasbro if you want the movie to be successful you need to keep it somewhat secret the plot. 

I don't really see the reason, but, I guess to each his own.

I did not really care either way about Twilight becoming an alicorn (other that I feared she would be appearing less often in the show, which did not really happen). I did not like the ending of FIM, but whatever. 

If Sunny becomes an alicorn, I at least hope she does not end up as Twilight (or at least she specifically mentions in the show that she wants to be a politician or a leader).

• Brohoof 3

Well.. I'm not exactly a fan of her turning out to be an alicorn at some point, but I'm not mad over it. 

It could turn out alright.. :please:

Woah woah she might not be turning into an alicorn, guys. If anyone saw that little page that gave us a backstory of Sunny and her dad, she wore fake wings as a filly. It's not surprising if she wore a fake horn too. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm guessing it might be a temporary transformation like what happens in Equestria Girls. Both the wings and horn look kind of translucent, as though they're made of magic and not actually part of her body.

• Brohoof 2

I’m honestly not sure what to think of it yet. Is the transformation just her imagination or did someone give her those wings and horn? The toy looks like it’ll have audio in it, so perhaps that’ll give us something if anyone records that.

• Brohoof 6