Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My little-too-soon generation

Rosy Moonlight

G5 coming out only 2 years after G4 ended gave us fans very little breathing room to accept that the quality of G4 would not be found in any new generation.

I know the Hasbro is a money-making conpany, but it could have saved itself a lot in the long run if it gave more breathing room.

What do you think?

:coco:

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 2

i have to agree, I know that Hasbro wants to just keep rolling with the new generations for monetary reasons, but I think by allowing the fandom to sit with the ending of G4 a bit longer, a lot of them would've been more willing to dive into G5 instead of instantly rejecting it before giving it a chance :) As someone who was in the MLP fandom when the transfer from G3 to G4 happened, I understand where they were coming from, but I think it's a good idea to give the new ponies a chance. You never know, they could surprise you :BrightMacContent:

• Brohoof 4

I'm trying to figure out if there is currently something that the Internet is into that is as big as FIM was in 2010-2012, like when you found Rainbow Dash everywhere. It should have been visible, but all I can find is ads everywhere.

I think Hasbro screwed up way too many times to actually keep MLP an Internet phenomena, no matter how many years there would be between G4 and G5.

G5 targets TikTok/smart phones people, and I don't even know those communities at all! Hasbro didn't try to make G5 good for the existing fans, they sought a different audience this time, hoping to take that ads spot that is so popular right now.

• Brohoof 2

41 minutes ago, Splashee said:

G5 targets TikTok/smart phones people, and I don't even know those communities at all! Hasbro didn't try to make G5 good for the existing fans, they sought a different audience this time, hoping to take that ads spot that is so popular right now.

Are you talking about the 5-minute youtube shorts?  When the CGI show comes out on Netflix, it might be a different story.

Personally, I was hoping to get more pony content quicker.  I know G-4 beats G-5, at least so far, but that doesn't necessarily mean Hasbro shouldn't keep the content coming.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, HereComesTom said:

Are you talking about the 5-minute youtube shorts?

I might be too harsh with G5 because of TYT episode 6 hitting a nerve.

Was it too short to wait just 2 years? From the reveal of the characters a year ago (Chinese store pillow case), it has been a wait for information, mostly to try to settle what happened in G4. With more time, maybe G4 would have ended better (been laid to rest), but MLP still has to produce income for Hasbro.

G5 wouldn't have been better, but maybe G4 would have been less involved.

• Brohoof 1

Two years since the main series finale is more than enough time to cope. Maybe this is just because I've gotten used to similar shit from another company (cough pokemon cough) but that's just how it is now. Maybe it feels like there was barely room to breathe considering the show ran for nearly a decade, but I don't think it was too soon or anything.

• Brohoof 5

I'm not so sure. How much longer should they have waited, in your opinion? Five years? Possibly ten? Genuine question; not being snarky or anything.

If you are making the case that they should have taken more time so they could come up with more original material, then fair enough, but I don't see how MLP would have benefited from taking an extended break otherwise. If anything, waiting too long runs the risk of the franchise just fading into irrelevance, unless you wait so long that the property becomes nostalgic again, such as Pixar waiting to make Incredibles 2 for fourteen years.

• Brohoof 2

G1 (My Little Pony 'n Friends) was from 1982 to 1992

G1.5 (My Little Pony Tales) was from 1992 to 1995.

G2 (No animated series) was from 1997 to 2003.

G3 (Special Releases and Movies, no series as such) was from 2003 to 2009.

G3.5 (Special Releases, no series as such) was from 2009 to 2010.

G4 (Friendship is Magic) was from 2010 to 2020.

G4.5 (Pony Life) was from 2020 to 2021.

G5 is from 2021 on.

The only gap that's every happened between generations was the two years between the last G1.5 product to the first G2 product. Of course, since G2 was never released in North America, a lot of NA-ers think there was a eight-year gap between the end of G1.x and the start of G3.x.

And yes, as odd as it was, Pony Life *counts* as MLP content.

• Brohoof 3

23 hours ago, Rosy Moonlight said:

G5 coming out only 2 years after G4 ended gave us fans very little breathing room to accept that the quality of G4 would not be found in any new generation.

I know the Hasbro is a money-making conpany, but it could have saved itself a lot in the long run if it gave more breathing room.

What do you think?

:coco:

what do you mean by "Breathing Room"?

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, phantompone1148 said:

I’m guessing it means giving the pony fans time to enjoy G4 longer before they have to keep up with something else.

I don’t think the wait was bad but producing a huge movie and then releasing shorts people are mixed on wasn’t a smart move. Sometimes making a movie and then a show makes sense, but people were expecting movie quality and they got much less in the form of YouTube shorts. I think the only disappointment here is that G5 had the intention to hook people with the movie then pander to them rather than giving people time to wait for the next film. The shorts aren’t bad but they aren’t needed either. Maybe this formula would’ve worked better if the movie was received as well as or better than G4.

• Brohoof 4

I would have rather they waited a few more years to produce something that truly blew everything out of the water. G5 is just...okay. I find it fairly inoffensive but it lacks substance in my opinion, and they could have gone with a style that was more similar to what the G4 movies were. 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, phantompone1148 said:

What I meant when I said there should have been more "breathing room" was that the gap between G4 and G5 should have been a few years longer since G5 was the first generation that was a direct successor of the previous generation. I feel like if the gap had been like 4 years or more, the "in-universe time gap" would have been easier to take in, and its premise would feel less like a "cornered new season" of G4.

Also, for me, the choices for G5 have been not-so-great so far.

:sealed:

My issue with G5 isn't how quickly it came out, although there are signs that the release schedule has been mixed up, somewhat.  I definitely get the sense that TYT was supposed to come out sometime after MYM started.  Nah, my issues are twofold: that it desecrates what FiM built up towards, and...that it just isn't all that good IMHO.  Maybe it will turn out to be better once MYM starts, but I'm not holding my breath on that.  Regardless, my thoughts would be the same whether it came out now or a decade from now.  

(edited)

I honestly prefer to imagine that Sunny exists in G4 and is mentally ill, with G5 as just a part of her hallucinations, symbolizing how she cannot handle how unlucky she is with friendship and the world in general.

:balloon:

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

I personally think that it would have better if Hasbro had waited another year to release G5, because Netflix is suffering heavy losses in viewership, which means G5 will also suffer the same thing.

(edited)
On 2022-04-30 at 8:37 PM, Scila Bell said:

Two years since the main series finale is more than enough time to cope. Maybe this is just because I've gotten used to similar shit from another company (cough pokemon cough) but that's just how it is now. Maybe it feels like there was barely room to breathe considering the show ran for nearly a decade, but I don't think it was too soon or anything.

It may have felt shorter since we had Horse Life to fill in in the meantime :mlp_icwudt:

Edited by Steve Piranha

3 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

I personally think that it would have better if Hasbro had waited another year to release G5, because Netflix is suffering heavy losses in viewership, which means G5 will also suffer the same thing.

The losses will probably get worse.

Otherwise for the OP: it's a children's TV show. Most won't know it ended(reruns) and the other will grow up and move on. By the time the first get sick of reruns, they'll have something new.

G4 is the oddball. It wasn't supposed to do this.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

They shouldn't have had it on Netflix to begin with. I hope Netflix crashes and burns - so they should find a better platform to air it on. 

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

G4 is the oddball. It wasn't supposed to do this.

I suppose making a show that's better than it has any right to be would do that.  It's too bad G5 has yet to capture that magic.  

1 hour ago, StarlightMirage said:

They shouldn't have had it on Netflix to begin with. I hope Netflix crashes and burns - so they should find a better platform to air it on. 

TV in general is in an odd transition period.  Cable TV is becoming less popular in favour of streaming services.  It kind of makes sense that Hasbro would want in on that.  The problem is, the whole streaming thing is all still quite nascent, and it's also clear that Hasbro themselves aren't entirely experts on how best to produce a series made for such a service. 

I wouldn't say Netflix is the devil here either.  I mean, of course they're going to take what they can get, so it makes sense that they would secure the streaming rights for a series like G5.  It's a bit like snapping up Baltic Avenue IMHO, but it's better than having no properties.  Hasbro has been working with them previously too, as they have had the streaming rights to FiM.  At the time, Netflix was in a much better position, and it's still technically a household name, so I don't blame Hasbro for backing the wrong pony.  Still, even a much more straightforward series would have run into some challenges given the circumstances.  

• Brohoof 1