Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why I donated $630 to this site

My little pwny

This story is just... wow. Incredible.

When I was an anti-brony, I was completely unaware what the show was like. Fast forward two years, I'm fully aware of what the show was like. Then I read a story from someone from last year and this person described how the show saved his life, and he donated $630 to a site based around this show as a token of gratitude. That's... tremendous, and Hasbro, Studio B and Lauren Faust should all be commended for this. No, not just Faust, but Meghan McCarthy, Ashleigh Ball, M. A. Larson and the rest of the show's writers. Through their doing, they managed to bring someone on the brink of his self-induced death back from depression's grasp.

I don't know when you'll read this thread again, but I want to say your story is just awe-inspiring. Probably one of the best things I've read all year.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

I feel like I'm gonna cry now. That story is so moving; oh my goodness I have a loss of words right now. You sir, are something special. God has certainly blessed this Earth with a wonderful person like you. Stay strong, my friend. You have potential to do something wonderful in this life.

• Brohoof 1

Hi everypony. Chances are, you have seen my thread about me donating $630. Tonight, I wish to explain why I did so. I would really appreciate it if you take the time to read this post. I did not donate the money so I could bribe my way into becoming a moderator. I did not donate the money so I could have any special privileges. I only did it so I can have a soap box to stand on to declare my appreciation to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and also show appreciation to the Brony community in MLPforums.

Let me tell you a story.

I had a really tough childhood. Growing up was hard for me, even though I had a supporting family. I never had many friends, and a few of the 'friends' I had treated me bad. I don't want to get into too many details, but long story short, I was depressed because of it. Trust me, the depression was justified, at least in my mind. I hid the depression from my folks for most of my life until later in High School when I completely crashed. I went through what the typical depression patient goes through. I got medication, therapy, and micromanagement from my family to keep an eye on me.

After a long time of struggling with depression, I did some self-reflection. I figured out that if I could hide my depression, my life would go back to normal. Even though I didn't feel any better inside, I forced my outer self to look and act happy. My parent bought it. After I graduated High School, I went to College out of state. I was still prescribed my anti-depressants at this time.

Fast forward a semester and a half later, I had become VERY depressed inside. Again, not to get into many details, but the causes of my depression was very bad. Since I had no family to support me because I was out of state, I attempted suicide. After a bit of time, the school I was attending kicked me out and sent me home. My life was a mess.

When I finally got home, I kept on pretending like the suicide attempt was a fluke, and I was actually fine. That couldn't have been further from the truth. I got home in March of 2011. I continued to live life at home, and I attended a community college in the mean time. The few friends I still had around were always busy, so I was alone a lot of the time. I continued to get sadder and sadder until I made a decision on January 30th, 2012. I decided I would commit suicide five months after that date since the number "5" was my lucky number.

Throughout that time, I began to prepare for my suicide. Since I had failed last time, I took care to not make the same mistake. I researched for weeks until I picked the best method for me. I looked on the internet, posted on some forums, and even ordered a book on the subject. I was prepared to do the deed on my set date. To prepare for my departure, I created a will and trust on legalzoom.com to make sure what little assets I had went to my family and friends. I prepared a hand written suicide note that proved that no one but myself would be responsible for my death. In summary, all my affairs were in order.

Fast forward to early May of this year. Under two months remained until I committed suicide. At this time I was at my lowest. I didn't care about saving money. I didn't care about anything. Anything I could do behind the scenes from my parents I would do. I started to buy things like video games and movies, even some that I didn't really like. I was as apathetic as one could be. Among the things I bought was a subscription to netflix. I watch hours and hours of t.v. shows, some of them I liked, others I didn't.

This is the turning point of the story.

When I was searching for the next show I would watch, I came across a show called, "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic". Since I was an avid YouTuber, I was well aware of the "cult" following that show had. I decide to watch the show because well, heck, "I have nothing to lose since I'm going to kill my self anyways." The first 2 episodes I was like, "meh." but I continued to watch anyways. During the 3rd episode, something clicked in my brain. It's very hard to describe, but it basically made me look at things a bit differently.

I realized that there was something very special about this show, and that I should watch a few more to be sure. After I finished the 5th episode, I knew I loved the show, but that wasn't the only thing. I knew that if I could love a kid's show like this, then perhaps I could become happy again. My Little Pony improved my outlook on life. However, it didn't change my mind about killing myself.

When I got half way through season 1, I thought to myself that the happiness the show was giving me was temporary. Sorta like the feeling you get when you finally get a new video game you looked for to. This wasn't that case, I later learned. I feel in love with the overall premise of MLP and all of its characters. The innocence of the show brought me inner happiness that I hadn't experienced in a very, very long time.

I finally finished the first season and I decided to no longer plan on killing myself. I no longer had to pretend to be happy. This is when I joined the forums. Even when I finished all the episodes of FiM, I continue to find increased happiness.

So what? Why am I telling you all this?

Well, here I am today, the 30th of June. I would be dead right now if it wasn't for this show and the community. This is why I donated $630 USD to the forums, to thank the show and you guys for saving my life. . 630 stands for today's date, 6/30; the first day of the rest of my life. A "rebirth" if you're feeling dramatic, because I should have died today. The brohoofs were just to get your attention.

I can honestly say that I am happy to be me. I don't even have to have ponies to be happy. I am just me: a very happy person ready to live out the rest of his life.

Thank You. :wub:;):P:):DB)

-My little Pwny

Heh, glad ponies took you out from the despair even horizon. I didn't had it as bad as you, but I also suffered from a huge depression that only ponies saved me from it, and I'll never forget it. Heck, I dunno how, but I plan to make a contrivution to FiM someday 

• Brohoof 1

Donating that amount of money was indeed very generous. I know that the website appreciated that.

• Brohoof 1

Wow. That is truly an amazing and touching story. :')

Ponies took me out of a slight depression as well... they made me really happy, as well as the whole community. :)

Edited by PrincessWubsyButt~
  • Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

Hey everypony! It's me.  

It's been a while since I've been on here, so you deserve an explanation.  

My 2 year mission really changed me for the better! I won't go into details, but I've learned a whole lot about myself and what I need to do to be happy for the rest of my life.  To be blunt, I've moved on from MLP.  However! I will always be a brony in my heart! I'll never forget what this show and community has done for me.  It's lovely to see how this place is still up and running that the community is still going.  Keep up what you guys are doing.  I'm 100% sure I wasn't the only person to have MLP change my life forever.

PM me if you wanna talk.  I'll check once in a while.  And once again...

Thank you! :):D;)

• Brohoof 8

650 bucks, that's a lot of money, fam.

Still a touchy story, tho.

Edited by Guest

• 8 months later...

Well, that was really touching story. 
Nice to hear that stories like this one actually happens. I see that author of this topic wasn't online since oct 2015, but in case he'll inspect this thread: You seem like a great man! I hope you're doin well ^^

I want to say two things, and no one's gonna like the second thing.

One: I'm glad that the OP chose life, and I'm glad that MLP:FIM helped them to make that choice.  I am.

Two: Donating over $600 to MLPF is...  Ridiculous.  No, you can't put a price on a person's life, but MLPF didn't save it.  And, even if MLPF genuinely had saved the OP's life, the OP wouldn't have owed the site a damn thing; and certainly not in terms of dollars and cents.  I don't think that large of a donation should have even been accepted.

So far as I'm concerned: MLP:FIM didn't save my life so much as lead me in a direction that changed it tremendously - and for the better.  I met the love of my life, and, with her, I finally began to make headway against a condition that essentially stole 16 years from me.  That will always mean something to me.  But you know how much I've donated to the site?  Five bucks.  And, while I assume that the site was a very different place back in 2012, I think I'm paid up.

Thank the show?  Fine.  Thank the community?  Also probably way different a few years back, but okay.  Thank your friends and loved ones?  Absolutely.  But don't donate large sums of money to MLPF.  Don't do it.

• Brohoof 2

I'm glad that you felt saved by this, and that you are still here. Even after the show ends, the fandom will live on and you will be apart of this group you directly helped sustain. 

Thank you for your story and your contribution.

Well, a big thanks to you, because it probably helped the Side a lot !

But...i would never spend over 600 Dollars for a Mlp Side, i think they are way better things you can spend the Money on. Like for Charity for example.

I mean, 630 is a lot and this is just a Fan Side for a Cartoon. But thats just me.  :lol:

Oh man, I can kind of relate to this. MLP has changed me in a similar way and I dunno if I'd be here without it.

Thanks for sharing your story.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

So much money. I wonder who took it (back in the day)? And what it was used for. I would have bought a boat for that money... I mean, all for charity!

• Brohoof 1

50 minutes ago, Splashee® said:

So much money. I wonder who took it (back in the day)? And what it was used for. I would have bought a boat for that money... I mean, all for charity!

It want to Jeric’s pocket and he bought a nice boat after that

16 hours ago, You said:

So that's why she isn't online much anymore! :wau:

She still cruising around here, making sure the site doesn't sink :ButtercupLaugh:

( I just have to say it)

Holy ship that post has 365 brohoofs.

Crazy how that happens. I’m sure the creators never thought their show would change the outlook on someone’s life.

It’s a nice community here, sad you left real quick.