Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

are you smart ?

omran97

Yes indeed! My grades in high school since freshman year rarely even go below a solid B. I take AP classes and have actually figured out how to do certain things like form equations completely on my own before we're even taught how to do/make those equations.

(edited)

Yes indeed! My grades in high school since freshman year rarely even go below a solid B. I take AP classes and have actually figured out how to do certain things like form equations completely on my own before we're even taught how to do/make those equations.

Academic smarts is certainly a measure. I think most people consider themselves to be smart whether or not they really are. But what is being smart? Good grades? Being clever/sneaky? Being mature/wise?

If you were to judge me by my academic grades then I am indeed smart. I had a 4.0 GPA in university. But if you want to judge me by some other factor, it would be far more subjective. I've had other people tell me that I'm smart but I'm still not a millionaire. ROFL  :lol:

Edited by BlackWater627

Yes, I am incredibly smart, and I don't think it's arrogant to have some pride in being intelligent either. I'm also loyal, kind, and pretty frikkin hilarious.
Personally, I find IQ to be fairly interesting, mostly because people have such a serious misunderstanding of what someones IQ means. IQ doesn't guarantee success, my uncle has a 180 IQ and by societies standards would be considered a loser since he's a alcoholic, and is living in a halfway house, and he's not a great whiz at math either, nor did he do well in school (since most people assume people with high IQ's were straight A students). He just has fantastic logic, and detail recall. People often assume IQ means you'll be able to do complex math and science perfectly, and if you can't therefore you're stupid. I had to deal with this growing up because I had gaps in my education due to illness, and I had serious dyslexia growing up. People were very cruel to me and called me terrible names.

This article on IQ was fairly interesting: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390444032404578006612858486012
I had several IQ tests done at Mayo Clinic, because since I'm chronically ill with severe pulmonary issues, they wanted to make sure I wasn't suffering memory loss (oxygen depletion does that sometimes LOL), so I had to do routine testing every couple of years. My last test at Mayo Clinic was when I was 15yrs old and rated 165. I haven't had the need to get another one since, given my health has improved so short term memory loss isn't a concern, and I really don't give a shit about joining MENSA or similar programs. 
I get really annoyed when people try and use their IQ number to outrank someone and belittle them. Being a genius doesn't mean you can't be wrong and you're intellect is wasted if you aren't willing to listen and learn something new.

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty average about stuff that matters. Although, I have a plethora of useless information in my head. For example, I just used the word 'plethora' in a sentence.

I think I am smart if it comes to school or things like that. Most of my marks are fives (one is worst, five is best in Hungary) without ever spending time studying. If we learn something new, it's enough for me to pay attention on the lesson, when we learn something I know already, then, well, I know it so I can sleep. And teachers understand that. So yeah, probably I am smart.

On the other hand, when it comes to social interactions, or when I should react to something, I am dumb. I am unable to understand implied meanings, I can't read between the lines. If someone speaks to me, it takes me a lot of time to answer, that is why I prefer speaking online: people can belive I am just slow at typing.

So I think I am smart and dumb at the same time. :lol:

• 4 years later...

I don't really think so. I got told I was smart by some because I was so good at my undergraduate music history courses, but in reality, I just know how to study for tests. My actual knowledge on anything is surface level and not deep. I always struggle to go beyond that, and that's a pretty clear indicator I'm not smart.