Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did the word 'plot' get its meaning in this community?

Derpular

I don't understand how a word that usually means the storyline of a particular thing came to be used to refer to a pony's butt. Does anypony know? It just seems odd to me, and I'm really curious how this came about.

• Brohoof 1

It seems like there should be something besides that, though, because if the term did not have that meaning, then that meme makes no sense. Unless I'm missing something...

Thanks, by the way. I hope that didn't sound rude or something. I appreciate getting an answer.

• Brohoof 1

It all started because of this meme:

img-1293046-1-129902783169-dat_plot.jpg

I'm not sure of where this meme originated from (though my money's on 4chan) or when it was made, but that's where it comes from.

It was from 4chan, just like pretty every other meme in this fandom on the entire internet. There are a few other pictures to that effect, but this was the first, and the most common, one.

Edited by Evilshy
  • Brohoof 1

It seems like there should be something besides that, though, because if the term did not have that meaning, then that meme makes no sense. Unless I'm missing something...

Thanks, by the way. I hope that didn't sound rude or something. I appreciate getting an answer.

Well, it's sort of a joke, saying that they watch it for the story  while showing a bunch of pictures of Pony behinds.  It's like the joke about someone who says that they read Playboy for the articles while they're staring at the centerfold.

Edited by hawkflame
  • Brohoof 1

It always reminded me with something that started in the heyday of Sailor Moon. The phrase "I have the most talent" came to mean "I have the biggest chest." Frankly, that's what she did say in the original Japanese, but the English dub chickened out and changed it to  Talent, and censored out her cute flounce and bounce.

LOL!

Here's the original Japanese...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65rHgAu48Ag

And here's the English version...

• Brohoof 3

"I watch it for the plot" meant that the people watched it for it's high-quality story-telling, yet the picture joked that they really watched it for the beautiful pony ass. After a while, the word plot eventually became a brony euphamism for butt.

The reason why it got so big was because the meme happened when the fandom was in it's infancy, so practically every brony out there knew about it quickly since there were so few bronies at the time.

• Brohoof 1

It's almost as if the creators of the show make these "Plot shots" on purpose.

Why towards the camera?

Why does it last so long?

How do magnets work?

I was going to say "fanservice", but that would mean that Hasbro and DHX think their fanbase is full of people who like to stare at a horse's ass.

Now there's a disturbing thought...

• Brohoof 1

It's almost as if the creators of the show make these "Plot shots" on purpose.

Why towards the camera?

Why does it last so long?

How do magnets work?

The moment in 'Canterlot Wedding' where Twilight holds her rear into the air springs to mind. And during the Apple family song where that one mare shakes her booty towards the camera. Was that really necessary, guys?

Don't say fanservice... laugh.png

I think you've already gotten your explanation, but to compress it into one page, early bronies often said they watched the show for the "plot", or storylines, which is an honest and innocent answer - I mean hey, it must have good storytelling to keep us coming back! But of course, the R34 community noticed all of the buttshots, and said "Heh, heh, I watch it for the butt, but others say plot. Plot is now a euphemism for butt."

Okay, thank you! I understand now; that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me. 
I love Sailor Moon! I never knew that, since I haven't come that far in the anime yet. I've watched some in both English and Japanese.

It was from 4chan, just like pretty every other meme in this fandom on the entire internet. There are a few other pictures to that effect, but this was the first, and the most common, one.

I thought it was from DA? I could've sworn when I first entered the fandom and got up to speed on it through a Tvtropes binge, it linked to that image on DA somewhere. 

Also, "plothole" is my favorite fandom created insult ever, I've been tempted to use it in real life.

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

I though it was from DA? I could've sworn when I first entered the fandom and got up to speed on it through a Tvtropes binge, it linked to that imaged on DA somewhere. 

Also, "plothole" is my favorite fandom created insult ever, I've been tempted to use it in real life.

It might've been first posted on DA (I'm not sure), but like so many other things, it became a widespread part of the brony vernacular on 4chan.

• Brohoof 1

If I'm not mistaken, MLP:FiM is the first MLP generation to show anatomically correct equine posteriors.  I've watched the whole series and it looks innocent to me.  It may be eye catching at times, but it's still innocent.  I'm glad they decided to go with a design that looks more like a real pony than to have a featureless rear like a toy stuffed animal used in older MLP cartonsl.  Kudos to them for not worrying about Rule 34, cloppers, and things like that.  They already knew that, no matter how "safe" they designed their ponies, people would still do their own "thing" with them. 

It might've been first posted on DA (I'm not sure), but like so many other things, it became a widespread part of the brony vernacular on 4chan.

I tend to avoid 4-Chan like the plague, so I don't know much of what goes on there until spreads to the rest of the internet. I've been tempted to rummage through /X/ though...

• Brohoof 1

I tend to avoid 4-Chan like the plague, so I don't know much of what goes on there until spreads to the rest of the internet. I've been tempted to rummage through /X/ though...

You and me both, brother.

Except for the temptation part. I just don't like 4Chan all that much. If people like to go on there, that's fine, but it's just not for me.

I thought it was from DA? I could've sworn when I first entered the fandom and got up to speed on it through a Tvtropes binge, it linked to that image on DA somewhere. 

The euphemism for butt, "plot", has been around since god knows when. A funny little thing about "plothole" though, it's a reference to plotpoint actually. Which can either be a plottwist, or an "object" that has some importance in the story.

The more you know...

• Brohoof 1

I have been wondering about this for while too and at the same time I have seen the meme but I didn't really get the joke. But you guys here qualified it enough for me and now I can't stop laughing whenever I hear the word "plot".

I laugh even harder at "plothole" XD

• Brohoof 1

I have been wondering about this for while too and at the same time I have seen the meme but I didn't really get the joke. But you guys here qualified it enough for me and now I can't stop laughing whenever I hear the word "plot".

I laugh even harder at "plothole" XD

I know, seriously!

It's like if I wanted go through the series and point out several mistakes they made canon-wise...

"You know, I watched all the episodes one after another, and I noticed several plotholes!"

Oh lord, my ribs...

*Drops pipe from laughing*

• Brohoof 1

The euphemism for butt, "plot", has been around since god knows when. A funny little thing about "plothole" though, it's a reference to plotpoint actually. Which can either be a plottwist, or an "object" that has some importance in the story.

The more you know...

Which makes it a double insult, in a way. It could mean asshole, or "you're throwing a wrench in the works, you moron"..XD. 

You and me both, brother.

Except for the temptation part. I just don't like 4Chan all that much. If people like to go on there, that's fine, but it's just not for me.

I have a obsession with the paranormal and creepy stuff(ghost related), so that's where that comes from. 

• 2 years later...

I wonder how the anatomically correct pony rears got past the moral guardians. Or why theyre there in the first place. Not that I have a problem with the rears. But at first glance to many people it'd seem inappropriate. But still, it confuses me.