Do you fear that a lot of people will leave the fandom after EqG?

Hdc

Will the herd diminish due to EqG?  

147 users have voted

1. 1. Do you fear that a lot of people will leave the fandom because of Equestria Girls?

• Yes
    • No

Since the trailer came out there seems to have been quite some rage going on. Some people are saying they will leave the fandom because of this. Some are saying that this is like "the last straw" for them.

Regardless of what you may have to say about that, do you fear for the health of the fandom after EqG? Will the herd be heavily reduced in size? Or are some people just overly frustrated right now and are making empty threats? From what I've heard, there have been mass tantrums thrown previously over certain issues, and still the fandom seems to be in pretty good health. Is there any reason to worry, or am I just being silly?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Uh. No.

Anyone who's actually devoted to the show will NOT leave just due to a spin off show. Why would you leave just because of something that's pretty ignorable?

This fandom is far too paranoid.... I swear...

Edited by Oddish
  • Brohoof 24

(edited)

No, they may say they will, but they probably won't. Some bronies tend to overreact, take Twilicorn for example. I think we will be just fine.

EDIT: I just realized that I spoke the famous last words. We're screwed.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 11

Naw, people are just speculating and such, trust me though its nothing terrible, i've seen worse over other issues, and even then people stayed. 

Besides its a spinoff and won't really affect the main show, so it doesn't have any real reason to make someone leave.

Fandoms tend towards histrionics. It's nothing to be concerned about. There will always be people pulling a Rarity with the 'Worst Thing Evah!', and you'll get used to it after awhile.

There are good indications that the fandom itself is still growing, not shrinking.

• Brohoof 1

No but if they take the spin-off series more seriously than the main series I will rage but not leave the FIM fandom because MLP FIM brought us together and I will not let Equestria Girls ruin it.

Fight the Power

• Brohoof 2

People like to overreact for the sake of overreacting. Even if they don't like EG, it doesn't mean they have to stop liking the "regular" series. It's already been stated that it's not even canon, so it won't even affect the main series.

It's rather like Star Wars. There's a lot of the expanded universe that I personally really dislike (and unlike this case, most of it actually is canon) and I just pick and choose what I do like and ignore what I don't and continue enjoying Star Wars in my own way. No harm done, no reason to pack one's bags and leave.

For my part, in spite of how different it is, I'm looking forward to giving EG a try and I'm expecting to like it. If not, well the main series is still here and nothing's happened to it, so no worries.

• Brohoof 2

I personally get good riddance to them. Just cause you don't like something doesn't mean you should hate the whole thing. "Oh no Twilight is going to the human world" get a grip. 

Some people still believe this is going to effect season 4 when it was confirmed that it wouldn't do so. 

• Brohoof 3

Eeeenope. They'll come crawling back. At first I worried about it but now I'm like: "Fine, but you'll be back."

The fandom will continue to grow, and for everypony that decides to leave, 10 more come into the fandom. 

I'm not gonna let a spinoff movie get me to leave. Nothing will get me to leave this fandom. EVER :)

(edited)

People just need to give it a chance. I'm so tired of bronies being so hypocritical when it comes to Equestria Girls.
"IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN MY LITTLE PONY DON'T CALL ME GAY HUR HUR HUR"
Take your own advice, dudelings. 
And as far as the purpose behind the cliche'd plot and the overly girly design?
Well, we aren't the only fans of the show. Little girls put as much of their time and love into the fandom as we do, although not always in the same way. So if we get derpy, and get Minuette in dentist costumes, if we get thanked BY NAME in the Equestria Girls promo song, don't you think the little girls deserve some reward for being faithful fans too?
Their tastes are just less subtle then ours, and I'm positive that EG will still have that same brilliant subtlety, (I.E. Scootaloos cute little chicken dance) especially with Meghan M heading the project. 
I'm super excited, and you guys should be too. If you don't give it a chance before saying you hate it, what does that say aout our brony culture? Our very motto, love and tolerate; the emphasis on the tolerate. 
And by the way. IT'S NOT SOARIN, AND IT AIN'T SHINING ARMOR! LEARN YOUR COLOR SCHEMES GUYS!

Edited by SkyeRibbonPwny
  • Brohoof 4

I don't really fear it at all, besides they will probably be bluffing about leaving the fandom anyway. Not a lot of people are loyal or loyal to their words at all. Besides it would be better to ignore it to leave but, people don't think before they act.

Paranoid people these days, they are like ''I'm going to leave because of this one thing that I can completely ignore but, instead I'll just leave all together.''

Get over it people, no reason to leave anyway.

• Brohoof 1

Very few people are actually leave going to the fandom just because of some crappy spin-off show. As harmful to the series' name and reputation as this movie is, it's not enough to make people abandon the fandom entirely. The show will likely still continue on and the characters' lives will go on as if this movie never existed. Besides, people said the same things with alicorn Twilight and nobody left the fandom over that.

I think it is perfectly justifiable for people to be angry at this movie. It's not what we wanted, and I bet that if it was with actual ponies, and telling one of the clever stories the series became famous for, the "target demographic" would like it a lot more too.

But threatening to leave the fandom? Not even the fans care. I doubt they will do such a bad work that it will render the next season "un-watchable". I'm just pissed that the chances of us getting a real MLP:FIM movie if this blows become zero.

People just need to give it a chance. I'm so tired of bronies being so hypocritical when it comes to Equestria Girls.

"IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN MY LITTLE PONY DON'T CALL ME GAY HUR HUR HUR"

Take your own advice, dudelings. 

And as far as the purpose behind the cliche'd plot and the overly girly design?

Well, we aren't the only fans of the show. Little girls put as much of their time and love into the fandom as we do, although not always in the same way. So if we get derpy, and get Minuette in dentist costumes, if we get thanked BY NAME in the Equestria Girls promo song, don't you think the little girls deserve some reward for being faithful fans too?

Their tastes are just less subtle then ours, and I'm positive that EG will still have that same brilliant subtlety, (I.E. Scootaloos cute little chicken dance) especially with Meghan M heading the project. 

I'm super excited, and you guys should be too. If you don't give it a chance before saying you hate it, what does that say aout our brony culture? Our very motto, love and tolerate; the emphasis on the tolerate. 

And by the way. IT'S NOT SOARIN, AND IT AIN'T SHINING ARMOR! LEARN YOUR COLOR SCHEMES GUYS!

There comes a point where the reasons we had for liking the show are being outweighed by the weirdness that would be associated with us for liking it.  Before the announcement of this abomination, we were still able to defend our interest in the show by affirming that it actually had some sort of value.  (This is vague, but the value could be artistic value or entertainment value)  This justified us watching the show to some degree.  Now that there is going to be a "spinoff" (which really is related to the show no matter how hard you try to deny it) which involves cheesy teenage drama, many of us are losing interest.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Look, I'm one of the most skeptical bronies as to how "Equestria Girls" will actually turn out, whether it be good or bad, but as for people leaving the fandom, I simply got this to say:

Seriously, we had this same crap with Twilicorn, and before that (although I wasn't in the fandom at the time) skepticism over the Canterlot Wedding episodes, if you can believe that!  But they never DO leave; (1) the stuff they're threatening to leave over usually turns out to be far better than expected (though to be fair I'm still not convinced that'll be the case with "Equestria Girls"), and (2) even if they don't like it, they like MLP as a whole too much to leave at this point.  Look, some people just have a penchant for the dramatic, so when even relatively minor things show up in MLP that they don't like, they start making empty threats of leaving the fandom.  That's just how fandoms work, generally. smile.png 

There comes a point where the reasons we had for liking the show are being outweighed by the weirdness that would be associated with us for liking it.  Before the announcement of this abomination, we were still able to defend our interest in the show by affirming that it actually had some sort of value.  (This is vague, but the value could be artistic value or entertainment value)  This justified us watching the show to some degree.  Now that there is going to be a "spinoff" (which really is related to the show no matter how hard you try to deny it) which involves cheesy teenage drama, many of us are losing interest.

Oh come on buddy, EVEN if it is bad, that doesn't change the fact that the rest of the show is still awesome.  Hey, I'm not expecting great things from this either, but look at it this way; even Star Wars fans who absolutely HATED AND LOATHED the entire prequel trilogy still watch and love the original trilogy.  Don't let one little thing that may or may not end up being bad take away your love for a GREAT, BIG THING like MLP that has proven time and time again to be AWESOME!!! img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 2

"We were still able to defend our interest" 

If you are still afraid of what others think of you...I just don't know what to say. I'm speechless. 

No-one needs to justify anything they do. Well unless it's you know...murder or theft or some crazy shiz like that.

So what if it actually turns out quality? Nobody thinks bully episodes can ever be good and MLP pulled them off with great finesse. Even something that could be compared with a dance that the girls spent an ENTIRE SEASON getting ready for-- the Grand Galloping Gala. As Digibrony says, the girliness is there and completely embraced, but no  one is shoving it down your throats. I think that its going to be the precise case for EG. Of course the trailer was freakishly girly but remember the ads for A Canterlot Wedding? I mean they even brought in freakin Miss America for the Magical Mystery Cure. It's gonna be good. I can feel it. There are ways to do this right, and I'm positive and have faith in the crew. I mean, after Suited for Success, they can do no wrong in my eyes lol

• Brohoof 1

Look, I'm one of the most skeptical bronies as to how "Equestria Girls" will actually turn out, whether it be good or bad, but as for people leaving the fandom, I simply got this to say:

Seriously, we had this same crap with Twilicorn, and before that (although I wasn't in the fandom at the time) skepticism over the Canterlot Wedding episodes, if you can believe that!  But they never DO leave; (1) the stuff they're threatening to leave over usually turns out to be far better than expected (though to be fair I'm still not convinced that'll be the case with "Equestria Girls"), and (2) even if they don't like it, they like MLP as a whole too much to leave at this point.  Look, some people just have a penchant for the dramatic, so when even relatively minor things show up in MLP that they don't like, they start making empty threats of leaving the fandom.  That's just how fandoms work, generally. smile.png 

Oh come on buddy, EVEN if it is bad, that doesn't change the fact that the rest of the show is still awesome.  Hey, I'm not expecting great things from this either, but look at it this way; even Star Wars fans who absolutely HATED AND LOATHED the entire prequel trilogy still watch and love the original trilogy.  Don't let one little thing that may or may not end up being bad take away your love for a GREAT, BIG THING like MLP that has proven time and time again to be AWESOME!!! img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

That's just the thing though.

Not only are they making such a disgustingly corny spinoff, but they are taking steps towards ruining the show which we originally showed interest in.  (Twilicorn anyone?)  Those greedy big business bastards at the big table in Hasbro Inc. basically used us to popularize their show, but once they reach little kids (who they believe to be the bigger part of the market) they won't give two shits about losing us regardless of our loyalty.

I know the show was awesome, and I'll never disagree with that.  The only thing is, people are going to associate it with something it really was never supposed to be.

Also, I don't want to be humiliated now, so I'd rather not tell anyone that I liked MLP now.  Ever.

I swear, if people are leaving the fandom over these reasons, then we must not have a very intelligent fandom or at the least one of the most intolerable. They are making a spin-off that isn't directly tied to the canon of FiM, leave the fandom! They did character advancement with Twilight, leave the fandom!

I myself am not too fond of the whole EqG thing for many reasons, but I am willing to give it a chance, since the trailer was decent and the voice, musical, and writing talent from FiM is still there. If it turns out to be good, it will be a pleasant surprise. If it is bad, then meh. Again, doesn't affect FiM, then it does not matter.

I will fully accept the fact that I might be a hypocrite from the first paragraph, since there is one thing that could potentially break the show for me. Maybe it makes sense, maybe it doesn't. Leaving the fandom over a spin-off, just doesn't make sense.

• Brohoof 6

They're most likely are going to say, "I'M LEAVING THE FANDOM", then come crawling right back. Just like the Twilicorn incident. dry.png

• Brohoof 3

Not only are they making such a disgustingly corny spinoff, but they are taking steps towards ruining the show which we originally showed interest in.  (Twilicorn anyone?)  Those greedy big business bastards at the big table in Hasbro Inc. basically used us to popularize their show, but once they reach little kids (who they believe to be the bigger part of the market) they won't give two shits about losing us regardless of our loyalty.

I know the show was awesome, and I'll never disagree with that.  The only thing is, people are going to associate it with something it really was never supposed to be.

Also, I don't want to be humiliated now, so I'd rather not tell anyone that I liked MLP now.  Ever.

First of all, I like Twilicorn and think it's been pulled off just fine thus far; can't blame the producers that they did the best they could with a shortened Season 3 since really, up until the end of the season, the show's future was up in the air (66-episode rule anyone?).

Second, "they used us" to popularize the show? huh.png  Really?  Nopony, including the folks at Hasbro, could've anticipated bronydom, and even though I'm sure they capitalized from the show's unexpected success with older demographics, you can't blame them for that or wag your finger at them; that's just how businesses work, they capitalize on success!

Third, most people who don't watch MLP don't spend their time obsessively hating others over it; THEY SIMPLY IGNORE IT ALTOGETHER!!!  Life gets busy, and people have other things to worry about than a kids' show unless they actually watch it and like it!  If you're still worried what people will think of you for liking MLP, then just don't tell people you watch MLP.  Problem solved. sleep.png

• Brohoof 4

No offense, but you need to calm the heck down. You're being so melodramatic it's putting Rarity to shame. It's just plain stupid to deny liking something just because of what someone else thinks. It's also short-sighted and selfish to call something "ruining the show" just because you don't like it.    

So please, calm down, stop worrying, and try to have fun. That goes for everyone. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Odds of this having much of any kind of impact on the show are minimal, and given that it's actually going to be pretty easy to not watch this thing, definitely an overreaction to threaten to leave over it.  They're probably just fishing for attention and I wouldn't trouble myself with them.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 2

They're most likely are going to say, "I'M LEAVING THE FANDOM", then come crawling right back. Just like the Twilicorn incident. dry.png

I honestly never understood why Twilicorn was as big of a "issue" as it was. I understand it is, or could be a big change to her character, but all characters go through change.

The only differences are her new title and wings. Nothing about her has changed personality-wise.

• Brohoof 4

I disagree, to put it mildly. Hasbro is not run by total idiots. Who has more disposable income?

Parents, or college students? Saying that Hasbro is intentionally alienating a huge target market is

not exactly accurate. And "something it was never really supposed to be"? You mean, a show aimed at young girls?