Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DITR

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

"Owl's Well That Ends Well" is not just a good episode but one of my absolute favorites in season 1. I especially love the scene where Twilight catches Spike trying to frame Owlowiscious while he's doing that mad laugh. :lol:

"Hearth's Warming Eve" is my least favorite episode of the ones I have watched so far. It's still watchable but doesn't have any standout moments for me (then again I never particularly like Christmas episodes).

The Cutie Mark Crusaders song is absolutely brilliant and I love Scootaloo's raw vocals.

At the Gala and Art of the Dress are among my least favorite songs in the show.

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Hierok said:

It was a bit quick, don't you think? :)

I only have my doubts about the quick acceptance of her apologies by the ponies of her old village. But overall I think it was well handled.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

I only have my doubts about the quick acceptance of her apologies by the ponies of her old village. But overall I think it was well handled.

I like to think of it being: 1. They had plenty of time to adjust to her not being there (unlike Sunset and the school) 2. She returned with visible regret and remorse (unlike Trixie's arrogant air about her) and 3. It probably helped that the princess who helped free them so they trust her, is also standing there assuring Starlight's reform.

Oh right this is a thread of unpopular opinions....uhhhh...

Season 6 is my favorite season

Tirek is a boring villian

Diamond Tiara was a great bully character because of the impact she had on the CMC in their earlier episodes.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, ZethaPonderer said:

I'm willing to bet her redemption is not as quick as Discord.

Discord had a full episode, while Starlight had 5 minutes. Also, Discord had actually whole season 4 as redemtion arc. Starlight only had the S5 finale.

(edited)
On 7/20/2017 at 2:49 AM, Hierok said:

Discord had a full episode, while Starlight had 5 minutes. Also, Discord had actually whole season 4 as redemtion arc. Starlight only had the S5 finale.

I see. Well I only watch the show from Season 1-3. That episode from Season 3 (Keep Calm and Flutter On) was rushed and IMO should've had a much bigger reason to bring Discord back. I rather just let Discord be stoned forever.

Edited by ZethaPonderer

22 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

I see. Well I only watch the show from Season 1-3. That episode from Season 3 (Keep Calm and Flutter On) was rushed and IMO should've had a much bigger reason to bring Discord back. I rather just let Discord be stoned forever.

Haven't you watched season 4 - 7? 

Despite a a very few interesting moments, I hated A Royal Problem. Couldn't stand the sisters in it, Starlight I feel was forced into it and it just wasn't the royal sisters episode I was waiting so long for in eager anticipation.

• Brohoof 2

20 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Haven't you watched season 4 - 7? 

Nope. Read my reason why I didn't bother from the Welcoming Plaza section where I made my first post, 'Redeem Yourself ZethaPonderer'. Enjoy a part of my sanity being lost forever. XD

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

10. Until recently I liked both 'A Royal Problem' and 'Twilight's Kingdom' a lot more, but Lily Peet lowered my opinion of both in one fell swoop. Basically she outlines that, in both episodes, the writers essentially worked backwards to get the scene they wanted, thus making the earlier scenes contrived.

In Royal Problem, this is the evil Celestia's debut. In Twilight's Kingdom this is the 'epic fight' between Twilight and Tirek. Numerous turns in both episodes make no sense whatsoever, and characters hold idiots balls galore. Therefore, the only conclusion is that the writers envisaged those scenes first, and bent the world (and characters) to reach them.

As a writer, I recognised Lily's point instantly because I've dealt with this before. During the early stages of a story with Western tendencies, I imagined an epic showdown at noon in the dusty village, as both a homage to Westerns and because of thematic importance. When I finally reached that point in my story, it turned out utterly different. Why? Because I continued to ramify my character's actions onwards. It was no longer possible to have a 'single' showdown, because my characters were everywhere at once, doing different things in the heat of battle. I'm not super arrogant, but I think I made the right choice, because having the 'showdown' would mean pausing the character development I'd caused and making everything static again. This is the issue with those episodes.

I think 'rejection of telos' is a good way to phrase this. You try your best not to guide the action; it's purely cause and effect. Of course not 'purely', but as purely as possible.

11. Increasingly I find that the Changelings are the main thing still drawing me to the show. I've grown tired of the Mane 6; their interjections of dialogue is clockwork. Even Starlight I've grown inured to (never found her 'good' in the traditional sense, but she shakes up the action, which is sorely needed). And I downright hated Trixie in this week's episode. Thorax and his hive though? Fantastic. Love what they bring.

I'd never thought I'd be one of 'those' fans, but I think the show should continue to devolve to the minor characters. I hated SoL because it was unalloyed pandering, but the show's setting should continue to be explored and expanded.

Edited by ErisPegasus

The Mane 6 friendship to me seems too good nature and agreeing most of the time. Compared to some other friendship groups like Sailor Moon for example, you can see their friendship structure also includes element of tolerance to putting up with various degrees of divisiveness like playful teasing.

On 7/19/2017 at 3:10 PM, DonMaguz said:

On 7/19/2017 at 6:19 PM, KH7672 said:

I like to think of it being: 1. They had plenty of time to adjust to her not being there (unlike Sunset and the school) 2. She returned with visible regret and remorse (unlike Trixie's arrogant air about her) and 3. It probably helped that the princess who helped free them so they trust her, is also standing there assuring Starlight's reform.

Oh right this is a thread of unpopular opinions....uhhhh...

Season 6 is my favorite season

Tirek is a boring villian

Diamond Tiara was a great bully character because of the impact she had on the CMC in their earlier episodes.

I'm sure all of those were part of it, but I've always thought it was also because Starlight was just like them. Her villagers were all social outcasts who couldn't find their place, and Starlight brought them together, gave them a reason for the pain they suffered, and gave them a place to belong. She was a good leader, she just had bad ideas, and I think they actually liked her when she wasn't going full dictator on them. We saw in TWABA that her villager friends really did value her leadership, and I think they're just happy that she was able to put her past behind her like the rest of them. I feel like Starlight judges herself much harsher than they judged her.

Right, opinions:

Sunset was never punished for what she did in EQG. When you fuck over people as badly as she did, it isn't a punishment if they don't like or trust you, it's just life. I also don't care, she didn't need to be punished to be a better person. I don't understand this obsession with punishment some people have.

As much as I enjoy their interactions, Trixie is a toxic friend, and has a negative influence on Starlight's life. If the show was real life, I'd be encouraging Starlight to tell Trixie to make an effort to be a better person and stop encouraging her bullshit. The idea that the two are in any sort of romantic relationship is disturbing.

Twilight's princess developement in season four was stunted, and I blame the incessant bitching from the bronies for it. Same goes for the lack of Starlight in season six. I'm glad the writers and show staff stopped listening to those parts of the fandom.

• Brohoof 1

49 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Twilight's princess developement in season four was stunted, and I blame the incessant bitching from the bronies for it. Same goes for the lack of Starlight in season six. I'm glad the writers and show staff stopped listening to those parts of the fandom.

You're scapegoating here. Each episode takes about a year to produce from script to animation. Back when Season 4 began development, FIM was still in the middle of their hiatus following A Canterlot Wedding. Princess Twilight Sparkle's script was locked in August 2012, so Twilight's Kingdom's was likely submitted for production around the time MMC aired. Twilight's stunted development is purely DHX's fault; bronies' complaints caused none of it.

The same applies to Starlight. S6 was under production as season 5 aired. Every script was likely set by the time Re-Mark aired, so bronies have nothing to do with them, either. Just like a good chunk complained about Twilight's boring personality in S4, Starlight's lack of growth and feeling that she was used only when the story demanded it was a major complaint, too. I doubt fandom reaction had anything to do with the more usage of Starlight and, instead, more to do with the current team realizing it was a problem they had to fix.

• Brohoof 2

Despite her in your face personality and being comic relief, I generally feel like that Pinkie Pie is the least interesting member of the mane 6.

I mean she along with Applejack just haven't received any noticeable or major character development over the course of the series.

But at least with Applejack, I can say that she has a potentially interesting storyline involving how she grew up at a young age following the death of her parents, but sadly that will most likely never get explored due to the show's rating.

But than again, Applejack is exactly where she wants in life to the point where I feel like she was more interesting before the events of the show took place, and that I am kinda more interested in EQG AJ, if only because I can reasonably expect her to actually grow as a person.

Besides that, I don't really feel like Fame and Misfortune was all that mean-spirited or whatever.  In fact with how awfully the fandom has treated the show staff over the years, it felt pretty restrained all things considering, and if I were in their position, I would have gone even further.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

Ok this is why COTLM should be either ERASED or BANNED in the first place...Agreed? 

We get it! You hate that the CMC got their marks, no need to rub it in for the billionth time!

• Brohoof 1