Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on Flash Sentry?

Saddle ~ Arabia

Flash Sentry in RR was allowed to be a jerk to Twilight to make her cry and even hug her in the same movie with no warning while completely ignoring that jerk scene like it never happened.

This isn't a relationship to be taken seriously if the story is not going to have them make up for that incident.

Edited by Singe

My thoughts on Bra are really few.

Having watched MLP, in all its Gens since 1989, I just can not get a grasp around the idea of any of the Mane character, in this gens case, the Mane6, as being Straight.

I don't know, :shrug: but I look at him and Twilights interactions as a Nerd getting affection for the first time outside of her realm of comfort. Kinda like when some book worm at your school falls, and a jock helps her up, shes not going to wash that had for a week.

In short, Twilights immature in the ways of romance, and thusly more shipping with Rarity is required!! STAT!

But Brad? Fuck Brad!

Flash Sentry in RR was allowed to be a jerk to Twilight to make her cry and even hug her in the same movie with no warning while completely ignoring that jerk scene like it never happened.

This isn't a relationship to be taken seriously if the story is not going to have them make up for that incident.

I viewed the hug at the end as a, "I'm sorry I was a jerk and you're awesome for saving the day again" kind of dealio.

Also since Twilight is infatuated with him she cut him slack, on top of the fact that she knew that he was under the sirens' spell.

That is true. Any personality that Flash Sentry showed while under the brainwash shouldn't count, if the movie is going to ignore that one conflict scene then it all should be ignored as not being himself.

Edited by Singe

I really don't like flash sentry. Not saying that I don't want him as a character, but I really don't like this shipping thing that they are trying to do. In my head they should cut Twilight off form eqg universe and have a scene where flash in MLP universe mentions to Twilight that he had a friend who was Celestia's student before her that he really liked but disappeared one day after she made a mistake. That of course being Sunset Shimmer.

While I think that, that's not necessarily the best way to handle it and I don't think that the writers are gonna go that route. But still, it'd be better than just pretending like it never happened. They could even turn that into an episode where twilight learns to deal with rejection, but I think that shoots way over the head of the target audience for the show.

After watching Rainbow Rocks, my opinion of him, unfortunately, has not changed. He's still annoyingly bland, and I say "annoyingly" because I find it hard to believe the writers couldn't think up anything funny or interesting for him to say. I ain't asking for Shakespeare, but if they're gonna keep bringing him back, could they give him some semblance of a personality?

I used to absolutely loath him for his blandness, but I've sort of chilled out of a realization that it ain't worth getting angry about.

• Brohoof 1

Before Rainbow Rocks:

"This character is lifeless, irritating, and there for no other reason than to appeal to girl cliches, something that goes against the Faust Bible."

After Rainbow Rocks:

"FUUUUUUCK! WHAT THE HELL, HASBRO?! Would it be so hard to give this shitty excuse for a romance interest some depth?! I'm more of a fan of Blueblood, for Christ's sake! He gets barely any lines, the lines he says give me the impression he has a one-track mind, no, half-of-a-one-track mind, and other lines make me want to rip his skull in half!

So, in conclusion... HE GOT WORSE!"

Yeah, I have no idea how Hasbro did it, but they did it. I hate Flash even more than before. Now, if you will excuse me, I'm trolling some noobs in Minecraft to calm myself down.

Perhaps it's because I have only seen the first movie but personally I can't bring myself to care one way or the other about him.  His appearances give me the impression I should but I can't.  He just doesn't seem to have much personality so some on screen development would be nice. 

The romance plot in EG is just wasted time filler that will ultimately go no where, but they just want to keep pushing it.

Hell, EG in general was just a wasted time filler to keep kids occupied until Season 4 came out. So Flash Sentry may as well be the EG mascot because he fits right in with its 'meh' world.

Like most I find Flash Sentry to be a pretty bland and uninteresting character (still haven't seen Rainbow Rocks though, but it doesn't sound like it's changed popular fandom opinion much), but some of the hate for him is just...well, disturbing at times O_o I'm not arguing that he's actually a really interesting character, but "bland personality-free love interest awkwardly shoehorned in" is such a common trope in all kinds of movies/TV shows etc, and the way some bronies act you'd think it was a totally shocking and outrageous move :P (also, the romance angle isn't necessarily a "girly" cliche, though I can see how it comes off that way because MLP, but a lot of more action-y "boy's" shows/movies often also have love interests). I'd rather have less pointless/badly-written romances in everything, but it's hardly unique to EQG and such a tiny part of the movies (and as of now doesn't affect FiM at all?) that I can easily ignore it.

I also don't think him existing detracts from the message of the show - it's not like Flash suddenly became the most important thing in Twilight's life, after all - and it's possible to have romance in a show about friendship without it becoming the sole focus. (Which unfortunately is a problem in a lot of shows aimed at girls so I do get why people would be worried about it happening in MLP...But so far FlashLight has had so little screentime, impact on the plot or on Twilight's character that I don't think you can argue it's really affected the movies or show? So I think all the panicking that FlashLight are obviously going to get married and make the show all about ~romance~ and RUINED FOREVER is kinda jumping the gun a little bit. but I guess that's what fandom does :P)

• Brohoof 1

I think that its because he was created for twilight in equestria girls and most likely wont be in the REAL show. he was really made for devolping the plot..... i personally think there should me more of him and should start talking to twilight in the real show

I think that its because he was created for twilight in equestria girls and most likely wont be in the REAL show. he was really made for devolping the plot..... i personally think there should me more of him and should start talking to twilight in the real show

Flash Sentry just spies one time and white knights Twilight Sparkle so he could ask her to the dance. He doesn't warn Twilight Sparkle beforehand about Sunset Shimmer being trouble, since that was Rarity who did that. Twilight's Mane 5 support don't "really" watch her back. I would have believed Rarity at the least would keep tabs on Sunset Shimmer's wicked and wily ways.

Like most I find Flash Sentry to be a pretty bland and uninteresting character (still haven't seen Rainbow Rocks though, but it doesn't sound like it's changed popular fandom opinion much), but some of the hate for him is just...well, disturbing at times O_o I'm not arguing that he's actually a really interesting character, but "bland personality-free love interest awkwardly shoehorned in" is such a common trope in all kinds of movies/TV shows etc, and the way some bronies act you'd think it was a totally shocking and outrageous move :P (also, the romance angle isn't necessarily a "girly" cliche, though I can see how it comes off that way because MLP, but a lot of more action-y "boy's" shows/movies often also have love interests). I'd rather have less pointless/badly-written romances in everything, but it's hardly unique to EQG and such a tiny part of the movies (and as of now doesn't affect FiM at all?) that I can easily ignore it.

I also don't think him existing detracts from the message of the show - it's not like Flash suddenly became the most important thing in Twilight's life, after all - and it's possible to have romance in a show about friendship without it becoming the sole focus. (Which unfortunately is a problem in a lot of shows aimed at girls so I do get why people would be worried about it happening in MLP...But so far FlashLight has had so little screentime, impact on the plot or on Twilight's character that I don't think you can argue it's really affected the movies or show? So I think all the panicking that FlashLight are obviously going to get married and make the show all about ~romance~ and RUINED FOREVER is kinda jumping the gun a little bit. but I guess that's what fandom does :P)

Yep, sometimes, their hate is downright creepy  :blink: , and he didn't did anything really bad for it. Oh well, I like him for that anyways, so, I'm not sure if I want them to develop him and the fandom stops hating him :P  

i dont hate him hes awesome

For being bland and earning the hatred of over half the fandom? If that's not awesome, I dunno what it is  :P

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

@@BeatBurst and @@JonasDarkmane, I have merged your threads regarding opinions of Flash Sentry with an older thread that similarly discusses that topic. Please make sure you use the search function before making threads, as you might find a pre-existing thread is already discussing your desired topic. Doing so will thus help you to avoid posting duplicate content. :)

As a pony: I may as well call him the cameo guardpony. haha

As a human: Has potential as a good character

Twilight Sparkle x Flash Sentry (Sparkstry? Twiflash?...I'm not too familiar with shipping names) A cute idea, but I dont think Twilight would ever get with anybody other than her true love. Her studies.

HE'S EVIL SCUM WHO STEALS ALL THE WAIFUS! :angry:

Now in a nonjoking way, Flash to me is just like the classmates I don't really know in school. I don't like them or hate them particularly, they're just there. That's Flash. Although it's super fun to hate on him while watching the EQG movies he's still just a guy who doesn't contribute much, and isn't much of a nuisance besides stealing Twilight from all her haifus :P 

And about that, no need to worry guys ;) Her crush is mainly on human Flash so I don't think they can get serious anytime soon :squee:

• Brohoof 2

When it comes to the first movie he's a bland shoehorned stereotype, the super nice super attractive male who Twilight just blushes in front of because "it's a high school drama so we need it", I swear it felt like Meghan McCarthy had a checklist of cliches whilst writing that movie.

In the second movie he's barely there, which in all honesty might have been a good thing considering the fact he doesn't have any personality (and they don't seem interested in giving him one), although it is nice to see a piece of media that involves a male and a female character that are just friends with nothing romantic going on between them. 

• Brohoof 1

well hes such and underdeveloped character merely there to be twilights crush. nothing more. if they developed the character more, than it would be fine, until then, hes bland and should be removed.

My thoughts on Flash Sentry are that there ought not be any thoughts devoted to Flash Sentry. xD  He's tremendously uninteresting, unimportant, and other unflattering things that begin with "un."  I support his being shipped with a doorstop.  Because they possess similar personalities.

• Brohoof 1