Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you like your legal name?

Adente

Opinion on your name  

242 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like your legal name?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you could change your name, would you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

• 1 year later...

I'm really not fond of my legal name, though I was fine with it for most of my life... it sounds too nerdy and dull for my liking, and the fact that my father loves to think people are always referring to him when they use it (he has the same first name, though he rarely gets called it anymore) gets on my nerves.  >_> It doesn't feel like my name at all, now that I've changed so much... I'd be happy to change it to something more fitting for me.

For the most part, I like my name.  My middle is weird and unique, and my last is pretty standard and incredibly easy to type.  But my real first name is Gwen.  And that ain't short for anything, either.  It ain't Gwendolyn or Guinneveire or anything fancy.  Just Gwen.  Now, let's think about the name Gwen.  What do you picture when you think of Gwen?  Probably Gwen Steffani.  Maybe Guinneveire from Aurthurian legend.  Maybe a redhead playing the violin (my friend's suggestion).  In my opinion, Gwen is a confident and trendy name, and describes someone who is dynamic, interesting, and beautiful.  I am none of these things, so I don't feel like I fit my name at all.  Would I change it, though?  I don't know.

First of all, no, I do not like it. It's nothing personal against my parents I just don't like feminine names, although that is nearly unavoidable seeing as I am biologically female and the few non-feminine female names that there are I dislike. I'm a big fan of the name Allen and it's not too different from my real name, which is Allison. But if I ever did change my name I would probably just get rid of my middle name (if you can do that) and change my last name to Wonderland so I can be Allison Wonderland.

For the most part, I like my name.  My middle is weird and unique, and my last is pretty standard and incredibly easy to type.  But my real first name is Gwen.  And that ain't short for anything, either.  It ain't Gwendolyn or Guinneveire or anything fancy.  Just Gwen.  Now, let's think about the name Gwen.  What do you picture when you think of Gwen?  Probably Gwen Steffani.  Maybe Guinneveire from Aurthurian legend.  Maybe a redhead playing the violin (my friend's suggestion).  In my opinion, Gwen is a confident and trendy name, and describes someone who is dynamic, interesting, and beautiful.  I am none of these things, so I don't feel like I fit my name at all.  Would I change it, though?  I don't know.

Gwen from total drama island? :P Well everyone who knows me or even meets me for the first time calls me Cam. My real name is Cameron, but I rarely ever hear anyone call me by my full name. Not even my parents say Cameron. It's always Cam 

• Brohoof 1

I don't especially like my name. I don't think it's a bad name. I just find it very unsuited to me. I feel like my name is one that has a very posh feel to it, whereas I just wanna hang out on the couch, play some video games and get Dorito crumbs all over myself. On top of that, my name is very specifically gendered, whereas I am agender. I feel like it's a constant obstacle for me.

Would I change it, though, I'm a bit on the fence. I feel like it would really disappoint my parents to change my name. So that makes me disinclined to do so. On top of that, what I probably would change my name to isn't a recognized name, technically, so that probably comes with its own set of challenges and annoyances. I can't say I've never thought about it, though.

I can say I'm not too fond of my first name.

I mean, it wasn't like a decade ago when I was getting really tired of hearing my damn name every single day. I still don't like it, and wish to change it one day.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hate my legal name.  I want to change it.  I tried to.  Well, I got the court info on how to get started.  Long story short, it's unbelievably difficult and also pretty expensive.  It's so much of a pain that I said screw it.  I'm just going to go by the new name I want, save for legal documents or job applications or what not.  I swear, it would be far easier to erase your identity, move to Braavos, and become the faceless man from the House of Black and White than it would be to legally change your name.

I feel like it would really disappoint my parents to change my name. So that makes me disinclined to do so.

You know, I had the very same feeling, but I talked to me parents about it, and they were totally fine with it.  But like I said, the deterent was the legal difficulty.

Edited by Justin_Case001

I like mine, my Father actually was the one who named me lol

The doctor looked at my mom and asked what my name was going to be, and my dad quickly said it. My mom said "Ok".

Though in school, everyone used my last name and in my senior year many of my friends said "Your name is Mike?!"

My real name is Summer. And although I voted no, I have more mixed feelings for my name than I hate it.

As for changing it, probably not. Although I hate how whenever people talk about the actual season summer because I often think they're talking about me, I do like how it is easy to remember, as well as how it fits my personality to a T. Sure there are many other names that I'd rather have, like Sylvia or Rose, but I suppose I'm so used to my name that even if I did change it, I'd probably still see myself as Summer, and not Rose or whatever.

I like my name just fine. My full name is Victoria, and who the heck wouldn't like a name that meant victory? However, I feel like my full name is really lofty and haughty. I don't measure up to it, and by that I mean I feel like I'm not deserving. I'm a little immature, and kind of a goof. Non-Brony folks call my Vikkii (with the spelling being my own choice). 

Not to mention my mom used to yell my full name when I was in trouble... So I kind of feel like I'm in trouble when people use it. 

But yea, my name's fine by me.