Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which mythical creatures do you think should be met in Season 5?

~ Dr. Ocsid ~

I had to look that up, because i thought they where of scandinavian origin, but wasn't sure anymore. Turns out they are actually scottish.

Wait are Scandinavian myths and Norse myths the same or are they different and also that would explain why I have never heard of kelpies because I've never studied Scottish mythology.

Wait are Scandinavian myths and Norse myths the same or are they different and also that would explain why I have never heard of kelpies because I've never studied Scottish mythology.

The various northern mythos tend towards variations on themes, with a lot of crossover. Different names for the different creatures, but if you look close you'll see resemblances. The Kelpie is very similar to the Scandinavian Nokk, which linguistically is from the same source as the Swedish Neck and the German Nixsie.

Orkney Isle, for instance has a weird blending of Norse and Celt going on that ended up with a very unique version known as the Nuckelavee. There's really no good way to describe a Nuckelavee, as it's appearance varies a bit. Basically what all the descriptions have in common is that it's horse-like, has an enormous shark-like mouth, and has had all it's skin flayed off. Some version have it be a Cyclops centaur as well, while others have a human body growing out of it's back like a permanent rider. All in all, it's one of the most horrible things in Orkney myth, being responsible for pretty much every epidemic or blight on the isle.

(edited)

Ooooh! I had an epiphany!

Meet the Nuckelavee!

PZO9034-Nuckelavee.jpg

Its a skinless horse with a skinless dude on top. Its of scottish origin afaik. Even though it looks undead its actually a water spirit, more akin to a nature spirit or a fey. It has a poisenous breath that destroys crops and carries diseases.

Some version have it be a Cyclops centaur as well, while others have a human body growing out of it's back like a permanent rider. All in all, it's one of the most horrible things in Orkney myth, being responsible for pretty much every epidemic or blight on the isle.

Dammit, there is it already... :(

Edited by Obsidian Sky
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Talking about very infamous creatures? Well then I propose the kitsu:

20131011033724!Kitsu_Nakwa.png

A fox-squirrel that can stand on its tail. :P

....and what about foxes and wolves? Oh right, mythical creatures.

Edited by Blobulle

I think we need some more Asian-inspired monsters! I didn't see anyone else saying this, I'm so sorry if I missed it.

I think some interesting monsters would be things like the Kappa (translates to river-child) from Japanese folklore. They are reptilian river spirits who are known for being mischievous and playing pranks. I think it be interesting to see the mane six face off against one of these.

Personally, I think it'd be cool if they had a Loch Ness or Champlain Monster, especially if they have an episode with the Sea Ponies.

...what's funny about this thread is that it's one of my survey questions for a Family Feud game I'm wanting to do at a convention.

(edited)

Sweet Celestia, that's terrifying! Awesome. LOL

Edit: ARGH! Why isn't the quote system working for me? I was referring to Obsidian Sky's post about the Nukelavee.

I would really love to see an episode with Zombies...it could be called "The Trotting Dead." :P

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 1

Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans, Andorians, Tellarites, Ferengi, Bolians, Cardassians, Bajorans, Borg, Kazon, Saurians, Ithenites, Triexians, Caitians, Deltans, Benzites, Rigellians, Sulamid, Trill, Horta, Nasats, Bynars, Boslics, Takarans, Nausicaans, Chalnoth, Betazoids, Talaxians, Vorta, Jem'Hadar, Founders, Brikar, Selevians, Orions, Denobulans, Pandrilites, Rhaandarites, Tzenkethi, Gorn, Breen, Kinshaya, Tholians...need I continue? I want a full-on crossover. Throw in some dimensional rift to make it sci-fi-plausible and let's see what happens.

(edited)

We have to remember there are younger viewers of MLP. Some of my friends talk about five year olds they know who like to watch the show, too. So, I'm going to go with gargoyles. Some creatures may be too scary to even try to make them less creepy for the younger viewers. So, gargoyles get my vote. Oh and hippo griffs. I saw a mlp version and it looked cute.

Edited by Artist-Sky

We have to remember there are younger viewers of MLP. Some of my friends talk about five year olds they know who like to watch the show, too. So, I'm going to go with gargoyles. Some creatures may be too scary to even try to make them less creepy for the younger viewers. So, gargoyles get my vote. Oh and hippo griffs. I saw a mlp version and it looked cute.

Considering that G1 had Tirek warping ponies into essentially demons to pull a chariot of darkness across the sky, I think children will be alright.

Besides, even if some of the mythical creatures are a bit too scary, the show can turn them into something not as scary. Have you read the legends behind Wendigos? Those shouldn't be on the show because of all the crazy stuff with cannibalism, but the writers pulled it off.

All of you saying vampires... ahem

Flutterbat_ID_S4E07.png

I'd like to see merponies.  Maybe they visit an underwater kingdom and Twilight casts a spell to make the mane 6 merponies so they can all breathe under water.

• 1 month later...

Creatures from Lewis Carroll's histories would be nice. There's the Jabberwock, the JubJub bird, the Bandersnatch, the Snark to name a few... Asian myth beasts would be great, particularly from Chinese and Japanese folklore, they could have the nue for example, which is the Greek chimera's Japanese cousin.

I'd love to see some creatures from Japanese mythology. I really like Yōkai and seeing at least one of them in MLP: FiM would be a special treat. I don't have a specific Japanese mythical creature/Yōkai in mind, but it would be nice if one of the ponies encountered a kitsune or a nekotama. :P

The cragadile barely looked cartoonish and pretty intimidating.  Though for me it looked more badass than intimidating.

Medusa.  Or something vaguely resembling Medusa.  Pony Medusa lol.

Um, that would be the Mane-iac.

I would like to see Godzilla!

Though to be serious and honest, I would love to see either Bigfoot, the Jersey Devil (Yes it would have to be....well...for kids), a Chupacabra like creature, or maybe even the Loch Ness Monster....oh wait....that is supposed to be a dinosaur.....those aren't mythical...Well I would like to see something that we consider to be famous today. 

I would like to see Godzilla!

Though to be serious and honest, I would love to see either Bigfoot, the Jersey Devil (Yes it would have to be....well...for kids), a Chupacabra like creature, or maybe even the Loch Ness Monster....oh wait....that is supposed to be a dinosaur.....those aren't mythical...Well I would like to see something that we consider to be famous today.

Actually, a chupacabra is featured in issue 3 of the comics, along with vampiric jackalopes(cute looking bunnies but evil, and with sharp teeth) and sentient pony-eating flowers that can get up and walk around. I'd love to see any of the above make it into the show though. On the sea creature front, seaponies and merponies in the show would be awesome IMHO. For Japanese mythology, I'd love to see kitsunes(magic foxes). For plant creatures, how about the mare equivalent of an alraune(half woman, half flower)?

• 5 weeks later...

I'd love to see a Cuegle, one of the most unknown an underrated mythological creatures, a kidnapper and eater of babies. Absolutely horrible.

And yes, this is how the monster looks.

cueglefinal.jpg

Edited by Darker