• Pinkie Pie not explaining the solution to the problem early
    • Pinkie Pie's behavior/actions altogether
    • ReMane-ing Five's behavior
    • Predictable plot
    • Execution of the moral
    • Trollestia
    • Other (explain below)

(edited)

Note: For the collection of other "Pick a Flaw" episode threads, head over to the "Pick a Flaw" blog portal (which'll be updated periodically) or check the list at the bottom of the OP (hidden under the "spoiler" tag).

M. A. Larson is one of the fandom's most popular writers due to his ability to handle obscure references, blend them with the characters presented, and execute them rather decently. In addition, he has a neverending knack for comedy, as SotC is such an example. Plus, from a character perspective, Twilight's crazy, panicky side of her character makes its debut, and we get to see it many more times in this series, including the famous Lesson Zero, It's About Time, The Crystal Empire, and Equestria Girls.

Because this episode is "Pick a Flaw," pick one from the poll above that either bothers you most or breaks the episode apart worst and explain why. If it's none or all of these options, click "other" and explain below. Be warned: "other" doesn't stand for "it's flawless."

The one most bronies talk about is how Pinkie never tells the others about how problematic the parasprites are and how to get them to leave Ponyville. By leaving them out to dry, the ReMane-ing Five are left to fend for themselves when the parasprites cause major chaos. And with Twilight preparing for Celestia's arrival, it turns her into a massive panic. Of course, if Pinkie told them, and they believed her, the whole plot would fall apart.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I'm going to go with "Predictable Plot" :D 

I mean, 10 episodes into the series, I knew that people are going to ignore Pinkie and she was going to be the one to fix everything. I had this episode figured out before I was even halfway through it, unfortunately, but other than that, it was a pretty good episode :D

• Brohoof 2

I know it would make sense for Pinkie Pie not to tell them about the situation beforehand, it's better to let things take their course. I think the episode felt a little predictable.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with Ghostie (Can I call you that? :) ). We all knew what was going to happen after about halfway in. But the main flaw for me was Trollestia. There is no way she didn't know what was up.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with Ghostie (Can I call you that? :) ). 

That's pretty much my name at this point :D Feel free to call me that all you want. You didn't even need to ask :D

And yeahh, as I said earlier, the episode was predictable.  It was a nice little episode, though :D A thoroughly entertaining one.

• Brohoof 1

Urgh, I do not like this one.

Pinkie not explaining her reasoning PLUS the moral. I really think that more episodes should follow Lesson Zero's lead with its "miscommunication goes both ways" moral. In this case, all the blame was put on the Mane 6 for Pinkie Pie being incredibly opaque. In fact, Lesson Zero in general executed the "take your friends' worries seriously" moral FAR better despite the fact that Pinkie Pie's concerns were far more relevant.

That's called 'a problem'. 

I did like the inklings of Season 2 Freakout Twilight, though and Celestia appearances are always nice. Bleh. 

507243__safe_rainbow%2Bdash_animated_hat

(Besides, REALLY Rarity? You put THAT thing on Rainbow Dash, who has so many design options that look good? Waste of fabric and the uncommon opportunity to dress her up, Rares. I am disappoint.)

• Brohoof 1

My two problems were Pinkie not explaining the solution and the predictable plot. I ultimately went with predictable plot. It was one of those episodes where I predicted it really fast kind of like Games Ponies Play.

I think I did a bad job reviewing this episode in my blog, so..

A big problem is predictable plot and Pinkie Pie not explaining the situation early, I don't care if this was technically my first episode, that's a big problem.

While the plot was predicable, (as is almost anyother episode of FiM) the thing that stood out to me the most was how pinkie didn't tell anyone she new how to get rid of the parasprites. Would have taken like 6 seconds to get the mane 6 to help you gather those instruments had you just said that you know how to get rid of them.

(edited)

One of my favorite episodes of this season.

But like almost every episode of the season 1, the plot is too predictable.

How is Pinkie Pie not saying her solution a flaw? If she had said it right from the beginning, the episode would have been very boring. I thought it was funny, but the end was predictable.

Edited by Blobulle

(edited)

Hmm. Swarm of the Century, the second episode of MLP I ever watched. I'd say it was a fairly decent episode, but the biggest flaw was Pinkie's refusal to explain herself properly early-on. Sure, her friends brushed her off, but not to the extent to where she's unable to communicate the solution. Then she goes on to say "Well duh! I tried to tell you guys!" - Clearly not hard enough, Pinkie  :P

Maybe that's just Pinkie doing the usual Pinkie way of doing things - in the most convoluted way possible, but it simply felt odd of her to let her friends frantically run around in a panic, trying to fix everything while she aimlessly searched for instruments

Edited by Rivendare

(edited)

Actual quote from the episode:

Applejack: So you knew what those critters were all along, huh Pinkie Pie?

Pinkie Pie: Well, DUH! Why do you think I was so frantic to get my hooves on all these instruments? tried to tell you.

No. No, no, no. At no point did she even make a token attempt to explain herself. In fact, Pinkie had no less than three separate opportunities where she could have tried to explain herself, but didn't. First was when Fluttershy showed up with the Parasprite at Sugarcube Corner. She takes one look at the ting and goes "Yuk, I hate paraspites!" before immediately waltzing off to go look for instruments. Clearly she knows what these things are capable of, but did she even try and warn them of the ensuring dangers? NOPE.

Second was when she runs into Rarity following the Parasprites starting to mass multiply. Upon seeing Rarity's bulging saddlebags, she doesn't tell her that she knows a way to stop them and that she need her help, but instead requests she drop everything and help her gather musical instruments for god knows what reason. Was it any wonder Rarity blew her off when she clearly has more important things than assisting in Pinkie's delusions?

And finally was when the others were herding the Parasprites back into the Everfree. She just sprints up and once again asks them to drop everything and help with no explanation as to why, and then she gets all indignant about it too. For all they knew she was gathering all these instruments to do a one pony performance of "Old Macdonald". What's worse is that this episode could have been better with a simple fix: have Pinkie try and and tell them about the Parasprites, but have the others brush her off because she's...well...Pinkie Pie. At least then Pinkie doesn't come off like an idiot who can't string two words together to explain herself!  

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1