Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you want to like, but can't

Odyssey

Gravity Falls - I watched many episodes and clips and it, but I just can't get into it.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - I got it free with a N64 (with a few other games) but I simply didn't see the appeal. The game got boring only 5 minutes into it, and you had to do a bunch of crap before saving your game. A lot of people want an HD release of it, but honestly, I have a huge list of games that I think deserve an HD release before this one.

Futurama - Once again, got bored of it. Also, I really don't like the characters, Bender included.

~ Multiplayer PvP games, specifically those that revolve around teamwork.

I always imagine how truly epic it would be to cooperate with other people on the battlefield to complete our objective, but I just can't do it. My shyness/social anxiety does not allow for such things as these, especially with random people I've never met before, not to mention I'd probably be a poor teammate anyways. Now if it was with friends, then I probably wouldn't mind, but otherwise, nope.

I used to want to like Final Fantasy due to my boyfriend(now ex) being so in love with it. But I couldn't. It's kind of shitty to me.

I want to like Skyrim and Fallout, too(And probably a good other few series everyone loves), but I just can't get into them...

The walking dead. I never started until it was in its 4th? season i think 

and while i like the premise of it all .. Zombies YAY :yay:  (ask me about mah plan)

i just find myself getting overly frustrated by the choices that they make in it.

Yeah some make sense .. but some are just incredibly bloody dumb and just make me want to see them all dead for making such obvious mistakes.

Political conservatives.  I actually completely understand and largely agree with the basic principles of what they stand for and why, but 99.9% of them ALSO happen to, for whatever reason, be really into weird, unintelligent and hateful things, I suppose in a bid to appeal to rural Americans to get their votes.  And a lot of non-politician citizens kinda seem to be like that for one reason or another too.  It kinda makes my skin crawl even if otherwise I might be more of a conservative than a liberal myself, maybe.  I'd really have to think about it, but I certainly don't dislike or misunderstand their basic views.

People in general who are a bit too hateful or passive-aggressive toward others, things I like, etc. even if everything else about them seems like we'd get along.  This seems obvious but man, like a massive chunk of the internet's like this these days; there's so much subtle or not-so-subtle 'meanness' going through a lot of people, and I always wanna try to be their friend anyway and maybe try to help them be a little less grumpy or just plain hang out, but it never works out.

A lot of basic foods like, for example, tomatoes.  My whole dang life I've tried and tried to like tomatoes; everyone else in my family seems to love them and they're on / in so many dishes I love.  But unless they're just the perfect ripeness and sliced the perfect thinness and on a certain kind of hamburger or sandwich I just can't seem to ever enjoy them.  I've only recently been FINALLY admitting this to myself instead of trying to force myself to like them -- and like I said, many other foods but I'd be here all day if I tried to list/explain them all.  I always prided myself on having an extremely open palate but it's better in the end to just admit what you like and dislike and have a happier life, lmao.

MMORPGs.  So much about that genre is stuff I absolutely love but after trying them a hundred times or more since playing EverQuest for the first time in 2001, and never, EVER, /EVER/ getting to cap once (I tend to make a character, get to something like level 20-50 or so, get bored, make another one, etc... and I'm just indecisive as heck about what class to play) ... I realize they're probably just not for me.  Now, when I have one or more friends to play with that actually stick with me and level with me and stuff I do enjoy them more and get a lot further, but that's rare and they always leave for other people / quit or something by a week or two in.  I also crave the 'old days' of community on them, when people were actually nice, cool and friendly, but these days like almost everyone you will EVER meet on ANY of them (especially the more popular ones) is absolutely caustic.

I'm sure there's more but I've made this post long enough for now, lol.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all the other generations.

I know that's a weird thing to say on these forums, but while I really like most of the fandom, the actual show just doesn't do it for me. I respect it for the animation, story, and characters but the only reason I watch it at all is to catch up on lore and background knowledge that I might need for RPs.

Edited by HunterTSN
  • Brohoof 1

Being motivated healthy and productive. I know what is best for me generally but I usually don't do what is best for me, I often make correct minor choices but I have real trouble focusing long term.

Then um, for other stuff, Kill La Kill I suppose, I couldn't get into it. Then some games I bought of course I wish I had more interest in such as Skyrim BioShock Dead Space 2. But Dead Space 2 I got stuck even though the day before I knew just what to do. Then somehow it was like I missed the timing and it glitched and froze or something. I normally don't dig scary stuff, well, besides a few mlp ones, but idk. Only dreams have simulated that kind of fear from be before as one part in that game. But I am just not motivated to retry it lol. As for bioshock I can blame trying to grind early on, then getting stuck, researching what to do, then still being stuck. And idk the whole theme to it doesn't click with me.

Then for skyrim like, theres too much I can do I just get aimless and bored. Then dungeons appear repetitive. Also I am mostly to blame from starting new games over and over from being indecisive about my character. I at one point wanted to try not using my level up stuff once I level up, and to go through the game on max difficulty, best I could do was glitch a frost troll and tap the fire magic spell button on him repeatedly, or wait for my allies to take down a dragon lol. So yeah for Skyrim I was probably to blame lol.

• 10 months later...

The Metroid series... the games seem so interesting and atmospheric (I love the OST for them <3), but I just can't get into them, for some reason.  :wat:

I want to like heavier types of metal but I can't seem to find myself into liking it... nor do I fit the "image" of those who like that genre I guess.

Star Wars- Everyone goes on about how amazing these movies are. I just can’t get into them, there just boring to me

Dr Who- It seems like a good show and I’ve not disliked what I’ve seen, but it’s one of those things I just really can’t be bothered to watch it, I guess Dr Who don’t really count since it's not something I want to like but don't.

The Chipettes- The female counterparts to the Chipmunks as in Alvin and the Chipmunks

It seems the AATC fan-base adores the Chipettes, I loathe them. I find them really whiney and annoying, especially Brittany, she's horrible to Alvin.

I still enjoy AATC though, the new animated show on Nick JR for example is really good in my opinion. 

People. And that includes myself. First I'll go into other people, then I'll go into myself.

I wish I could like more people than I do. The thought of ideal human interactions is so appealing to me, of speaking for hours to someone about something really good and having them actually care about me. It doesn't work out most of the time though. Other people are so ridiculously baffling. Unrealiable, undedicated, non-passionate, and overtly casual about everything. Nobody seems to take anything seriously. Their actions tend to be really illogical or just plain stupid, to be honest. They aren't interested in the things I love for the most part, and they just don't seem to capable of speaking more than a few words about trivial subjects. The deep discussions I long for don't exist for the most part. Either that, or they can be really rude and mean. There are nice people as well, but I find that to be sickeningly sweet and ingenuine most of the time. I just can't be satisfied, I know.

Now me! You can apply most of what I said about other people to me, minus the trivial subjects and the lack of seriousness/passion. By all means, I should like myself. I have some talent, I generally have a high intelligence, my appearance isn't too bad, and I am much more considerate than a lot of people. But I have such impeccably high standards for me, and finding out that I can't be anything more than human becomes very very frustrating. But the fact that I am incapable of basic modern world living skills because of this world's structure and my brain only adds to my frustration. I want to like me, I do. And sometimes, I do. But I can't help but hate that person too. And feel self-conscious and regretful about everything that comes out of her mouth.

Forums as well. And social media. These places seem like such a great idea. I love the potential about so many concepts, but I find that most of the time, their execution in reality is so flawed because of humans. Forums are too topic-oriented to bring out any real discussion, not allowing for the flexibility of an actual conversations and just becoming question and answer. Which is more ideal for me as I prefer that, but many of them fail as a community for that reason. People develop their own insular cliques and generally aren't welcome to newcomers. Or they just die, because most people find it very difficult to become dedicated to things and keep them going.

As for social media, it's full of far too much drama and trivial subjects to be worthy of any real discussion forum the most part. Also, everything is designed to happen in short bursts. So you can't even make in-depth posts a lot of the time. And even if you do, people won't read them.

Also, MMORPGs. Like I said before, the concept is so appealing. It has so much potential for getting immersed into another world and roleplay and it has "RPG" in the title. I love JRPGs! But the execution boils down to people who only care about the gameplay and have no interest in roleplaying, community, or being friends, and extremely tedious and repetitive gameplay that essentially amounts to grind, kill boss, fetch quest at its core with a badly written story with quickly thrown together lore for flavor. Nothing like the story-oriented JRPGs I play.

Most video games. I seem to be able to only be interested in JRPGs. All other types of games bore me because games generally rely heavily on repetition, have an aesthetic that is extremely off-putting (gray and brown everywhere) or become frustrating because I'm generally not good at grasping the gameplay. Before, I'd try to force myself through them. But I think I'm starting to believe that I'm not really a gamer - I just prefer the whole community and trivia around it, and the good stories. Simple and easy to grasp gameplay is enjoyable to me, but it becomes tedious without a story in there. I think I'm just a story lover first and foremost.

Those are a few main ones. But if I'm honest, I want to like everything I dislike. Dislike is such an unpleasant feeling and I wish I could find more joy in things. But a lot of things just disappoint me because they don't fit up to the ideals and potential of their concept.

Most foods. I'm extremely picky so it's somewhat difficult to shop for me. If I liked more things, I could eat a lot healthier, too.

Trading Card Games, like Yu Gi Oh, Pokemon, and Magic: The Gathering. I love collecting Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh (cards, but other than Yu Gi Oh (more so the video games) I've never been interested in playing the game that the cards are meant to be used in.

Whatever animals I don't like. I'm an animal lover, and generally get on well with most animals. I'd like to be able to say that I adore all animals, but there are some that I just... don't.

Anime. I've watched several anime shows and the only one I like is Madoka Magica. For some reason anime just bores me.

Legend of Korra/ Avatar. I've seen Avatar as a kid and parts of LOK, but I can't get into it for some reason.

Most sweet foods. I like eating healthy more than eating junk food. I'm a teenager; I should be liking junk food.

I really can't get into most anime. I mean, there are some animes i like, but some of them just seem silly and over the top to me.

X-Box One - I tried to like it, but I love the X-Box 360 more, because it is simpler for me to use, the X-Box One is difficult and complicated to use, I might as well just use my PC for all intrinsic purposes.

Sofia the First - It seems innocent and harmless, but it's so boring, and for Disney to make a princess so banal, it's pretty annoying, although I riff on the show MST3k style, it's not the best show on Disney.

Game of Thrones - I like medieval stories, but it gets me uninterested fairly quickly, and Game of Thrones feels too much like a ordinary medieval fantasy, I wish there were more Greek Byzantine centric medieval stories, for they do exist.

Cats - I am more of a dog lover, however I have had cats before, my fondest memories are with my dogs, plus I volunteer with wolves and wolf dogs, it is simply an one of a kind experience.

steven universe - i love rebecca sugar and her work on adventure time but i cant seem to like her original series

super hero comics - too many timelines and whatnot that its hard for a newbie to follow