Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think the Afterlife is actually like?

Handsome Changeling

Well this a very hard topic to post as it can be very upsetting, but I am an Atheist so I really have no idea what to expect and it is one of my fears, you know the final unknown, I am wondering what you expect of it so what is your opinion  on this subject?

I apologize if this gets to anyone in a touchy way.

• Brohoof 2

I don't see any reason to believe in any kind of afterlife. Consciousness is just a matter of chemicals interacting in the brain... When the brain ceases to function, so does what we call the consciousness. So... An afterlife seems pretty impractical to me.

If such a thing existed, I'd love for it to be reincarnation, though. I'd love to be reincarnated as another person... Anything to give me a second chance at life! The ideas of heaven and hell and the others like it are flat out disturbing to me, though... So only reincarnation for me. lol

• Brohoof 10

I don't see any reason to believe in any kind of afterlife. Consciousness is just a matter of chemicals interacting in the brain... When the brain ceases to function, so does what we call the consciousness. So... An afterlife seems pretty impractical to me.

If such a thing existed, I'd love for it to be reincarnation, though. I'd love to be reincarnated as another person... Anything to give me a second chance at life! The ideas of heaven and hell and the others like it are flat out disturbing to me, though... So only reincarnation for me. lol

I have to agree with you, especially with the Heaven and Hell part being disturbing because it is. The Reincarnation part though I ain't to sure about buuut it is a cool to think about it as a second chance so again I have to agree.

In short: Whatever the hell i want.  :maud:

I couldn't care less about what others want with their afterlife.  :maud:

Hehe, is that a pun I see?

• Brohoof 2

Human beings have limited minds. There are several things we just can´t understand, we simply can´t.

e. g. The "Everything": How do we explain it? God.

The "Nothing": The nothing is the Death. We can´t imagine "nothing" because we always imagine "something".

---

After your death, wether you believe in something or not, it doesn´t matter. You´re dead. Forever, permanently. You don´t think anymore.

The "nothing"

(sorry if my english is a bit weird, it is not my native language)

• Brohoof 3

well, when you die, your body decomposes to feed the microcreatures, worms, fungi, earth in general (assuming that the coffin you're in does not block your access to the earth).  you are given back to the earth.  you will be used to nourish plants, which nourishes plant eaters, which nourishes meat eaters, which start the cycle over again.  

i like to think that when my body becomes something new, i will be able to be a part of the consciousness of the new body and reincarnate in that way.

what i WANT to believe, but i can't because science, is that my soul will go to soul land and i will have unlimited power to do whatever i wish and create my own realities for the rest of eternity. 

Edited by ScumCandy
  • Brohoof 4

*sighs*

Well I'm catholic, so my beliefs are that there's a heaven... And a hell -_-, both eternal :):(. Either you'll forever be happy or unhappy. (Not sure about how life is like in either of them).

Off topic a little, I'm not truly convinced that there is a purgatory since the bible doesn't speak of people in heaven who have been "purified by fire" (bible quote) as used to defend the idea of a place of rehabilitation. So yeah...

Edited by SparkWolf
  • Brohoof 1

Man, I'm surprised with some of the answers I'm reading.

I've done some research and I know what heaven is like. Firstly, it is NOT a place in the clouds with white robes, gold crowns and harps. Artists used to paint those pictures to describe heaven in the symbolic sense. 

REAL heaven is actually much like Earth. It is a refined Earth that's had all evilness purged from it. Entropy is also gone. Instead of decomposing, objects will naturally become more orderly and beautiful with age. Humans will also be rid of those flaws we've hated in ourselves and co-exist peacefully. We continue being ourselves but without laws, taxes or pain because we'll no longer need them.

On Earth, the happiest moments of our lives are like a slice of heaven. When we die, God will provide us an eternity to do those things we never could in life and we'll each be doing the work we loved best on Earth; whether it's art, engineering or designing. Except, our work will be perfect like it was always meant to be. Then our most boring moments in Heaven become better than our happiest ones on Earth. And best of all, we'll be with God and we'll see him for who he really is. Not a tyrant dictator but instead the father we always wanted, and the brother and the inspiration we only wish we had.

And Hell... Hell is a natural state of being without God's presence. For when God offered us free will he respected every humans choice to live without him. But it's not punishment. It is a place people get themselves stuck in, and only God can get us out because he loves each and every one of us that much. 

Heaven, in short, is a place where you belong. It is all the happiness you could want. Some of us don't know it. All of us already have the desire to go there but we need to be reminded, and God offers it for free to anyone who wants to share it with him.

There is more wonderful news about Heaven if anyone's curious. It really is better than you can imagine.

• Brohoof 2

Well, since Stancet is raising the bar on answers, so shall I! :squee:

Looking back on ancient civilizations, before we had words like "Heaven", people commonly referred to afterlife as "Paradise". And without delving into any actual religion or their specific ideas of it, I believe that really is what heaven should be. A perfect, never ending Paradise. No sickness. No injuries or incapacities. No anger. No sadness. No turmoil. No more dying. Peace for the mind and soul, endless understand. Hopefully, everyone you ever knew or wanted to know, all family members and friends, they are all there. And it's a chance to start over for everyone. No more hate, no more judgement, all the sins of your previous life erased. You are now a much better person than you ever were, and life in heaven will always be perfect.

However, the idea of heaven was later coupled with the idea of Hell, an afterlife for those who could not be saved. A land of never ending punishment for those who were sinful, evil, and never once remorseful. A place for the murderers, thieves, and deviants who never once try to reform or be a good person. Now, in our modern world, I think it's plain to see that not everything is as black and white as that. One could even say that if someone is truly "evil", it's the fault of the parents, family, community, and everyone around them for not doing a better job of raising this person or showing them how to life peacefully. But even so, there are some things that are still VERY hard to forgive, such as mass murder or brutality.

In an abstract way, I do choose to believe in the idea of heaven. I want to. We're all going to die some day, and the idea of heaven is the only thing that gives me peace and maybe the courage to face it when it's my time.

I'm sorry to all the atheists and non-religious people/non-spiritual people out there, but I just don't understand what comforts you when the thought of death comes up. You've explained what it's like scientifically, you've said what you think it's probably like, but I just can't find any comfort in that. I'm sorry, but I just can't. It makes life feel a bit more empty and hollow, as if there's no point in the grand scheme of things. -_-

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 2

I believe it is whatever we want. So I believe in heaven though I'm not stating it exists or how it is because I believe it varies from person. Either way, whether it is heaven or darkness it won't matter because you won't care that you don't exist because you don't exist. Whatever it is I'm willing to face it whenever the time comes to do so.

• Brohoof 2

I'm atheist and don't really buy into the whole afterlife thing.  As far as I know, what comes after is...  Nothing.  Nothingness.  Nonexistence.  That seems the logical answer, but at the same time...  I can't begin to wrap my head around "nothing."  If you subscribe to the Big Bang Theory, there was always some amount of something.  A ball of latent, super-compressed potential building blocks of the universe just waiting to be released.  So even when there wasn't anything...  There also wasn't nothing.  Nothingness strikes me as kind of unnatural.  Because existence seems to be the (albeit unconscious) choice the universe itself has made.

So, to summarize: I have no idea lol.  I'll try to prepare myself for nothingness (however one does that) and secretly keep my fingers crossed for being spirited away to Equestria. xD

• Brohoof 2

I'd like to think it'd be like an eternal dream or something like that.

Honestly though, it scares me.

Who knows what's beyond our comprehension?

I could say that I don't believe in an afterlife, but I would not bet my life on it.

Also, if someone truely believes in an afterlife don't bother them about it.

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe the afterlife is nothingness. I've had way too many supernatural experiences to believe that. On the other hand, I also don't believe in a straight up heaven/hell. I've always been more of a reincarnation person. Reincarnating into different beings on different worlds to experience different things. I always wondered, do we have to keep reincarnating until we "rank up" spiritually? 

• Brohoof 2

void, there is only void. Nothing but a big blackness of nothingness. Everything you have ever done, Everything you have ever loved, Everything you have ever spoken, Everything you have EVER felt will be gone! You will no longer have consciousness, you will no longer feel, Everything about you will stop existing and there is nothing we can do to stop this.

. . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . .

i may be wrong and there might be a bunny waiting for us to enter a world of never ending cookies. :3

Rain_Cookie_by_pronouncedyou.jpg

• Brohoof 2

As a Christian I believe you have two choices- heaven or hell aka smoking or non-smoking.

Heaven = no pain, no sorrow, no evil, being in the presence of The Lord God

Hell = it is the place where the devil is tossed into, no the devil doesn't rule anything in hell. Eternal tears, and the absence of all that is good.

Honestly, I won't want to see anyone go to hell nor would I ever wish that. But it is a choice that we all make. No I will not bible thump as it never has worked.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure, i mean, maybe there's nothing, maybe that's the end, or maybe there isn't, i want to believe that there is some kind of "heaven", that my soul will keep me alive forever, but i don't know, it's a really hard question that will only be answered when i die, so i'd rather not to know the answer while i'm still alive, both nothingness and eternity are confusing concepts....

The whole notion of heaven, hell, reincarnation and non-existance should be a big concern to us. We don't have an eternity on Earth to figure it out.

Personally, I don't like reincarnation because everything I ever liked about myself is going to be gone. And if Karma held us accountable for actions we can't even remember, it doesn't make sense that a good man would be born into poverty while in his next life he became a wealthy gentleman as reward but also became cruel and evil. 

• Brohoof 2

For a while now I have started believing that the afterlife is whatever you want it to be. You will see what you want to.  Not at first, but once you learned from the mistakes you've made here on earth. I do believe in reincarnation. So if you still have a lotttt to learn, you'll just come back here to Earth until you are ready to move on to the next life. Really, idk what happens lol obviously. I do know that I have had many experiences with the supernatural, which make me almostttt, but never, positive that there has to be an afterlife.  I also know that when I go, I would love to see something like Equestria in the afterlife... hahhaha :)