Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do Bronies like to Ponify everything?

Sig Hoovestrong

Same reason someone might draw characters from Star Trek or Supernatural or Game of Thrones (list goes on) in an anime style; it's fun to mix and match nuances of some fandoms with others.

Now, if only we could drive that rather simple explanation into the thick skulls of those who bitch incessantly about how ponifications "ruin" their favorite characters...

• Brohoof 3

Well I've always found it fun to see what something would look like in a different world.

I love ponified stuff for the same reason I loved to turn everyone I knew into Sonic characters in middle school. It's something familiar, but in a new form. Also it can be REALLY funny to see familiar people and franchises turned into bright-eyed colorful little ponies. XD

• Brohoof 2

I have a theory that this trait is partially resultant of the general rejection bronies face from other mediums and fanbases. As a consequence many bronies ponify other media and pop culture memes and icons to compensate for our alienation from the mainstream.

It's sort of like saying: "If I can't bring the ponies to them, I'll bring them to the ponies."

Edited by Roughshod
  • Brohoof 4

Lets make everyone and every fandom a pony!

Using ones fandom as a tool to spread to others,  like pony versions

of anime and comic book....

When will some fan make a pony short of sailor moon? :(

• Brohoof 1

I have a theory that this trait is partially resultant of the general rejection bronies face from other mediums and fanbases. As a consequence many bronies ponify other media and pop culture memes and icons to compensate for our alienation from the mainstream.

I have thought about this question many times, (earlier today, in fact), and the answer I arrive at is in accordance with this theory.  I believe it's relatively easy to explain why adults, and males in particular are attracted to the show.  It's a wholly different matter to explain why we ponify everything, and why it just seems to make it so friggin great.

I love to imagine pony crossovers.  I actually spend far too much time everyday just listening to music and imagining fully realized, big budget ponified versions of things.  Example: I often listen to the LOTR soundtrack and imagine the whole movie in pony form.  I kind of imagine it as if the ponies were real actresses/actors that just play the LOTR roles, Roger Rabbit style.  But the catch is I imagine them still having the same names.  For instance, Twilight would portray Frodo's role, but she's still called Twilight, not Frodo.  Celestia would fill Gandalf's role, Cadence would be Aragorn, Luna would be Boromir, and Fluttershy would be Sam.  Sombra would be Sauron, of course.  Chrysalis would probably be Sarumon.  Pinkie--Pipin, I think I'm gonna say AJ for Merry.  Not sure about the others.  Anyway,  I just sit and listen to the songs of the best scenes and imagine it with this casting.

"I hope the others find a safer road.  I don't suppose we'll ever see them again."

"We may yet, Miss Twilight.  We may."

"Fluttershy, I'm glad you're with me."

"Come on Miss Twilight.  I can't carry it for you...but I can carry you!"

Chills, dude.  Just chills.  But the question remains--why?  Now, don't misunderstand--I don't mean to say that pony LOTR would necessarily be better than actual LOTR.  But why is it so appealing to ponify?  I know every fandom does it, but I don't think they do it to this extent.  I mean, I'm a big Star Trek fan, but I don't spend time and energy imagining Star Trek crossovers with other franchises.  Star Trek is just Star Trek, and that's enough.  Sometimes the answer can indeed be as simple as "because it's fun," or "because ponies."  But I think it goes much deeper, and I think Roughshod is on the right track.

We are hated by many.  The hate and the rejection causes us to push to back harder.  It's the same reason why you have gay pride this or that, or black history month and such.  The minorities, or the groups that are hated/have been hated or mistreated naturally rise up in defiance.  I think bronydom promotes a great message that people should be accepted no matter what they want to like.  Many bronies, either conciously or subconciously, want to push this message.  Sometimes we push it so far that we may inadvertently imply that you have to like ponies, or you're only cool if you do like ponies.  I think this is where a lot of the hate and distaste for overponificaiton comes from.  Some people may not have an objection to MLP in an of itself, but become annoyed at the implication that it's hip to be a brony, and lame if you're not.  Obviously, that's not true, but it's natural for minorities or hated groups to fight back and take pride in their identity.  I believe this can sometimes almost lead to a sort of social inversion, where the majority is made to feel like nothing special, and that they can't be proud of themselves.  You can be proud to be gay, black, or female (or brony), but if you voiced your pride in being hetero, white, or male (which is what I am, incidentally)...hoo boy.  That's a no-no.  Which is sort of silly in my opinion, but that's just how it works.  The groups that have been mistreated get to proud, and eventually it becomes cool or hip to be a part of that group.  It gives you something to stand up for.  I believe this can leave the majority feeling as though it's implied that there's something wrong with them.  Admittedly, as a boring majority, hetero white male, I have enjoyed being a part of this community, in part because it makes me feel a bit special, like I finally get to stand up for a cause and make a difference, in my own small way.  Certainly, one doesn't have to be a member of a hated group to fight for them, but it's different when you are in the group.  Of course, everybody should just be able to be proud of what and who they are, regardless.

But wait--there's more!

It's not just the pushing-back-in-defiance thing.  Even if bronies were completely accepted, there would still be a great appeal to ponification.  First off, you have the obvious comedic juxtaposition of cute cartoon characters in heavy roles like LOTR or Uncharted or Game of Thrones or something.  But there's something deeper than just humor.  Hmm.  This is really difficult for me to explain.  I think by seeing these cute female ponies epic or mature roles, it speaks volumes on being able to be anything you want to be, or like anything you want to like.  A tough, masculine guy can love MLP, and likewise, a dainty, feminine girl can love football.  An adorable pastel pony can be an awesome, larger-than-life heroine.  MLP:FIM breaks many stereotypes, including that young girls only like shows where the biggest conflict the characters encounter is running out of chocolate chips while baking cookies.  FIM breaks down sexism, and we, with our ponification, carry it further.  I feel like my thesis is starting to degrade, here.  But that's about the best I can do at explaining that part.  Hopefully you know what I'm talking about.

post-26336-0-60468500-1416900113_thumb.jpg

Lastly, I think ponification is another way to help us feel less alone.  I especially felt this way when I first watched MLD.  That's not a ponification, per se, but fanfics still fall in the same category, I think.  I identified so strongly with the protagonist.  You know, the dude, that is.  After watching that, I suddenly felt less alone.  I mean, of course I already knew that there were tons of bronies everywhere, but that movie made me feel astonished that someone, that many people, feel so much the way I do about the show and the community.  Every time I see a ponified image, a pony avatar, a pony screen name, a robot in Robocraft named Octavia's Cello Bow (yes that was real), it makes me smile, and makes me feel connectedness.  It reminds me of how many others there are that feel the way I do.

In summary, ponification is special because this fandom is special, and it's stands for more than simply liking a cartoon.  Overponification is partly the result of the hatred.

Pony on.

post-26336-0-01392700-1416901013_thumb.png

post-26336-0-35215200-1416901022_thumb.png

post-26336-0-47176500-1416901041_thumb.png

• Brohoof 3

I would say thats good question to ask, like why do like to ponyify things? Franchises, games, and people and characters from moives, books and real life? And also why do so enjoy it. Like for exmple i play my TF2 moded with Pony Mods. And I am having bit more fun cause of it. Is strangs how multi colored horses can spice up thing a notch.

And i even going out my away. Doing crossover ones in while and even edit some, easy to edit 2D games with putting in custom art assets.

What do you think?

because ponies are more interesting than a human, mlpG4-verse ponies of course, and you can have alot of different colors.
  • Brohoof 2

I guess because some things look awesome with ponies :P  Though, it does get a bit overboard, and I can understand some people get annoyed by it. I wouldn't say it's a good reason to totally lose sleep over and become an anti-brony over. :D

• Brohoof 3

when you love something, you want to see it every where! :D

and also, its really, really fun to do.  :squee:

I have thought about this question many times, (earlier today, in fact), and the answer I arrive at is in accordance with this theory.  I believe it's relatively easy to explain why adults, and males in particular are attracted to the show.  It's a wholly different matter to explain why we ponify everything, and why it just seems to make it so friggin great.

I love to imagine pony crossovers.  I actually spend far too much time everyday just listening to music and imagining fully realized, big budget ponified versions of things.  Example: I often listen to the LOTR soundtrack and imagine the whole movie in pony form.  I kind of imagine it as if the ponies were real actresses/actors that just play the LOTR roles, Roger Rabbit style.  But the catch is I imagine them still having the same names.  For instance, Twilight would portray Frodo's role, but she's still called Twilight, not Frodo.  Celestia would fill Gandalf's role, Cadence would be Aragorn, Luna would be Boromir, and Fluttershy would be Sam.  Sombra would be Sauron, of course.  Chrysalis would probably be Sarumon.  Pinkie--Pipin, I think I'm gonna say AJ for Merry.  Not sure about the others.  Anyway,  I just sit and listen to the songs of the best scenes and imagine it with this casting.

"I hope the others find a safer road.  I don't suppose we'll ever see them again."

"We may yet, Miss Twilight.  We may."

"Fluttershy, I'm glad you're with me."

"Come on Miss Twilight.  I can't carry it for you...but I can carry you!"

Chills, dude.  Just chills.  But the question remains--why?  Now, don't misunderstand--I don't mean to say that pony LOTR would necessarily be better than actual LOTR.  But why is it so appealing to ponify?  I know every fandom does it, but I don't think they do it to this extent.  I mean, I'm a big Star Trek fan, but I don't spend time and energy imagining Star Trek crossovers with other franchises.  Star Trek is just Star Trek, and that's enough.  Sometimes the answer can indeed be as simple as "because it's fun," or "because ponies."  But I think it goes much deeper, and I think Roughshod is on the right track.

We are hated by many.  The hate and the rejection causes us to push to back harder.  It's the same reason why you have gay pride this or that, or black history month and such.  The minorities, or the groups that are hated/have been hated or mistreated naturally rise up in defiance.  I think bronydom promotes a great message that people should be accepted no matter what they want to like.  Many bronies, either conciously or subconciously, want to push this message.  Sometimes we push it so far that we may inadvertently imply that you have to like ponies, or you're only cool if you do like ponies.  I think this is where a lot of the hate and distaste for overponificaiton comes from.  Some people may not have an objection to MLP in an of itself, but become annoyed at the implication that it's hip to be a brony, and lame if you're not.  Obviously, that's not true, but it's natural for minorities or hated groups to fight back and take pride in their identity.  I believe this can sometimes almost lead to a sort of social inversion, where the majority is made to feel like nothing special, and that they can't be proud of themselves.  You can be proud to be gay, black, or female (or brony), but if you voiced your pride in being hetero, white, or male (which is what I am, incidentally)...hoo boy.  That's a no-no.  Which is sort of silly in my opinion, but that's just how it works.  The groups that have been mistreated get to proud, and eventually it becomes cool or hip to be a part of that group.  It gives you something to stand up for.  I believe this can leave the majority feeling as though it's implied that there's something wrong with them.  Admittedly, as a boring majority, hetero white male, I have enjoyed being a part of this community, in part because it makes me feel a bit special, like I finally get to stand up for a cause and make a difference, in my own small way.  Certainly, one doesn't have to be a member of a hated group to fight for them, but it's different when you are in the group.  Of course, everybody should just be able to be proud of what and who they are, regardless.

But wait--there's more!

It's not just the pushing-back-in-defiance thing.  Even if bronies were completely accepted, there would still be a great appeal to ponification.  First off, you have the obvious comedic juxtaposition of cute cartoon characters in heavy roles like LOTR or Uncharted or Game of Thrones or something.  But there's something deeper than just humor.  Hmm.  This is really difficult for me to explain.  I think by seeing these cute female ponies epic or mature roles, it speaks volumes on being able to be anything you want to be, or like anything you want to like.  A tough, masculine guy can love MLP, and likewise, a dainty, feminine girl can love football.  An adorable pastel pony can be an awesome, larger-than-life heroine.  MLP:FIM breaks many stereotypes, including that young girls only like shows where the biggest conflict the characters encounter is running out of chocolate chips while baking cookies.  FIM breaks down sexism, and we, with our ponification, carry it further.  I feel like my thesis is starting to degrade, here.  But that's about the best I can do at explaining that part.  Hopefully you know what I'm talking about.

Lastly, I think ponification is another way to help us feel less alone.  I especially felt this way when I first watched MLD.  That's not a ponification, per se, but fanfics still fall in the same category, I think.  I identified so strongly with the protagonist.  You know, the dude, that is.  After watching that, I suddenly felt less alone.  I mean, of course I already knew that there were tons of bronies everywhere, but that movie made me feel astonished that someone, that many people, feel so much the way I do about the show and the community.  Every time I see a ponified image, a pony avatar, a pony screen name, a robot in Robocraft named Octavia's Cello Bow (yes that was real), it makes me smile, and makes me feel connectedness.  It reminds me of how many others there are that feel the way I do.

In summary, ponification is special because this fandom is special, and it's stands for more than simply liking a cartoon.  Overponification is partly the result of the hatred.

Pony on.

wow,  :o if somepony rewrote LOTR with a pony setting and characters I would read them all over again!

you put a lot of thought into this!

and all the points you made were spot on.

I'm impressed  :)

• Brohoof 3

I think that the real reason that most people pony-fy is because the ponies are some of the easiest characters to draw. Their simple body structure and the fact that you can do whatever with the mane/tail sparks many ideas. Since the mane and tail are the highlight of most designs because of how large and expressive they are, you can almost pony-fy anything.

Pony-fying may not be the most imaginative thing, but it's certainly a lot of fun when you have no idea on what to draw. I myself even like to pony-fy characters.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 2

Ponifying allows you to crossover different fandoms or take something real world and show how the same themes can relate to the show. One of my biggest vids was an MLP and Gravity Falls Crossover and I also did a successful MLP meets L4d2 song using pony mods for the pmv. I'm currently doing a musical crossover with the songs and music of The Smiths as Maressey using ponification (much like the Beatle Bronies did The Beatles). I love ponies, i love The Smiths, and i love combining them and think that works well. Is it really so strange?

Edited by Freewave

• 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...