Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who is your favorite Main Villain?  

490 users have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite Main Villain?

• Nightmare Moon
    • Discord
    • Chrysalis
    • King Sombra
    • Nightmare Rarity
    • Tirek
    • Sunset Shimmer
    • The Dazzlings
    • Starlight Glimmer
    • Principal Cinch
    • Midnight Sparkle
    • Gaia Everfree (Gloriosa)
    • Juniper Montage
    • The Storm King
    • Tempest Shadow
    • The Pony of Shadows/Stygian
    • Cozy Glow
    • Wallflower Blush
    • Vignette Valencia
  2. 2. Who is/are your favorite lower level antagonists?

• Trixie
    • Gilda
    • Flim/Flam
    • Diamond Dogs
    • Diamond Tiara/Silver Spoon
    • Ahuizotl
    • Lightning Dust
    • Other (please specify with a comment )
    • Suri Polomare
    • The Mane-iac
    • Chancellor Neighsay

For me, it's still Discord... his unpredictability and overwhelming reality-altering power are real threats. Plus he's hilarious and unsettling all at the same time. He's a bit of a waste as a redeemed character. Second place villain probably goes to Sombra. Yes, that Sombra. Sure, his personality wasn't displayed much during his episode, but he arguable came closest to winning, and didn't lose through his own stupidity or a Rainbow Power Ex Machina, but because of the intervention of Spike, which he had no possible way of anticipating.

On 4/10/2016 at 0:38 AM, Sunny Fox said:

For me, it's still Discord... his unpredictability and overwhelming reality-altering power are real threats. Plus he's hilarious and unsettling all at the same time. He's a bit of a waste as a redeemed character. Second place villain probably goes to Sombra. Yes, that Sombra. Sure, his personality wasn't displayed much during his episode, but he arguable came closest to winning, and didn't lose through his own stupidity or a Rainbow Power Ex Machina, but because of the intervention of Spike, which he had no possible way of anticipating.

Sombra was also sort of a reality-warper himself.

I mean -- he magically turned the whole Empire into a Mordor with a Lethal Lava Land-style sky (twice, actually, if you count his effects on the Empire just before he got blasted), he then made the entire place vanish as both a contingency and a middle finger to Celestia and Luna, and the way he designed the path to the Heart was clearly pocket-dimension-y.

But given how obscure it was compared to Discord's, Sombra's seemed more like the Domain Holder variety than Discord's "jack of all trades"-type.

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.

Every villain and how I  feel  about them (in order from best to worst)

Queen Chrysalis

I don't need a villain with a tragic back story, not saying they're bad, but Chrysalis impresses me with her dark and grotesque presence. I really think the changelings have tons of potential for this show, they're essentially the ant-ponies. I still love Canterlot Wedding to this day, even though many people like to diss that episode for the dumbest reasons. In my opinion she is the most dangerous villain. Chrysalis affected Twilight's family over any other villain. Cadence , Shining Armor and Celestia were defeated by her and Twilight failed to stop her, that's an excellent villain if I have ever seen one. Also  the fact Kathleen Barr voices Kevin and Marie Kanker from  Ed, Edd and Eddy is a personal bias of mine. Currently she is an active villain not being used, and she might have the potential to come back in season 6 or the movie.

Adagio Dazzle

She really does the same thing as Chrysalis, But she carries around her goons. She was only in one movie and I think  that's all we will see from her. Maybe I am just in love with the sirens as creatures. Also Twilight couldn't stop them, she needed Sunset's help. 

Tirek

I don't need to explain much, amazing design and is essentially the devil looking figure. This guy is truly the demon lord of Equestria and the season 4 finale proved how dangerous this monster is when he's fully powered. I feel like he was Sombra done right, because he had a brief back story/origin story with his brother Scorpan. Makes him interesting and you wonder if he has some care for his family. 

Sombra

Not really that interesting for me. Aside from Discord he is the most overrated villain. I know he has his fans. But the season 3 opener just didn't really make me too enthralled with him. If he does return, they need to give him  a good story. I viewed him as 'Lord Sauron if he were an MLP character. Not being too harsh here. He does have positives, he was able to really put the pressure down on Twilight during her hallucination. I just think he needed to he explored more.

Nightmare Moon

I like Luna, but NMM doesn't do it for me. First villain, so I can be easy on her. I can only say that Luna is what makes her interesting. I am more interested with Luna(Post Nightmare Moon) than Nightmare Moon as a character on her own. 

Starlight Glimmer

I don't hate her as much as I used to. I just find her reason for what she was doing to be incredibly lazy. Also that she is a retcon of Sunset Shimmer doesn't help much either. The season 5 opener was controversial involving an equality cult. I am not bashing on that aspect of the opener. I was ok with Starlight in the season 5 opener, but the season finale really made me dislike her.

Discord 

I view him more as a trouble maker, I don't think he was ever evil and that's why he's low on the list. Not because he sucks, just because I am making a villain list. His reformation makes sense, because with someone as powerful as him.. He needs friends and a meaning to life outside of his abilities.

Same here Queen Chrysalis is my favorite villain.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I assume this is specific to MLP? My favorite would be Discord. I've always liked the trickster villain archetype. I also like Sombra. I think he is easily the most sinister villain in the show.

King Sombra, because the concept of a corrupted king got me intrigued.

Also, him trying to do any means necessary to keep the Crystal Empire under his sinister and horrid control.

• Brohoof 2

Discord, because of his really intriguing and chaotic personnality! Since I first saw the episode that introduced him (The Return Of Harmony Part 1 and 2) back in September/October 2014, I looked upon this villain so much and still today he is my favorite villain, followed by Starlight Glimmer in second place.

In literature, my favorite villain is that "Napoleon of crime" Professor James Moriarty. He came close to ending the career of Great Britain's first consulting detective, Sherlock Holmes.

In MLP, I'm torn between Nightmare Moon, and Starlight Glimmer. Tipping toward Starlight. She tried to alter time itself to beat Princess Twilight...That was so COOL!

If Discord doesn't count I'd say Chrysalis.  Her design is amazing, her personality bland but could be worked on and her villain role is so great.  I would really like to see her have some kind of bring-back in the show which may happen due to the amount of fan service the show is having recently.  Come back to us Chrysalis!  :adorkable:

Chrysalis. Her design alone is what won me over in giving MLP a shot. Then she turned out to be cunning, clever and doing devious things to secure her subjects future. Good motivations over all. 

post-18785-0-68938400-1438826247_thumb.png

Discord. but then he went good >.<
But yeah, discord is interesting, witty and very enjoyable, while still being sinister: a villain who just *doesn't care* instead of being horribly malicious is just as good of a villain-- the destruction they cause is the same either way.

After that, chrysalis. Honestly, if this show had more fighting and recurring villains, she'd be one of the more "perfect" villains. strong enough to be a very real threat whiles not TOO strong to leave unchecked (in that her roaming around free won't destroy the world like what villains like Tirek or NMM threaten). Additionally, she has a load of minions for the mane six to fight on even footing.

Add onto that, she's got a great design, is very hammy and enjoyable, and has a whole domineering succubus angle which makes her appeal to alot of people as a villain (the vamp is a TV trope villain entry for a reason).

Next up, Nightmare moon. Great backstory, but sadly with very little time to shine, and being restricted mainly to S1 when they were aiming at a MUCH younger audience and therefore making her much more muzzled in the threat she presented (the early season was much more kiddie as to what dangers the villains posed compared to S4 and S5 in things like tirek's fight). She's also got a GREAT design and motif with the night guard, and would have made an equally good recurring villain due to that.

The sirens, even though they're in RR are also great: They form an incredible 3 man band, with Adagio as the pompous leader, Aria as a bit of a starscream brute who just likes causing trouble, and sonata as the ditzy comic relief that drives the other 2 crazy. They're threatening but still enjoyable, and overall just a ton of fun.

Tirek: Generic doomsday villain, and good for fighting, but not much more to him than being a giant Beatstick; glad his only appearance in the timelines was just "IMA FUCK UP TREES!"

Starlight: Good first appearance, HORRIBLE SECOND APPEARANCE. LIke, "My friend moved away when I was 10, so now I'm evil" is HORRIBLE, and she lost all her IQ points in favor of Villain sue plot armor in her second appearance to just god mode to be a threat.

As such, despite her good initial appearance, I have to rank her super low due to how bad her second appearance was.

Sombra: Worst villain in the show, period, GREAT comic character. Honestly, I really liked him there. Though, I hate how they reformed him. He would have been better as a bitter villain who, despite wanting to be good, refuses to change because of how bad the world's screwed him over.

The Dazzlings. The way they tried to conquer Canterlot High just to be adored. They're not just some ordinary sirens, they're more than that and it shows! The Human Six were almost defeated by them. I get a feeling they'll be back but Celestia knows when. We just have to keep an eye out for them.

Also, whenever some kind of big argument happens anywhere in this world, I do think the Dazzlings are the ones responsible for it. That's why I think they're the top villains to watch out for...especially Adagio. Her grins shows she's planning something sinister...

post-20535-0-31515700-1461849782_thumb.png

• Brohoof 2

Obviously we all love Discord but my favorite antagonist has to be Starlight Glimmer! Shes powerful, clever and fighting for a cause that she believes in even if its wrong. I also really like her now that shes reformed.

For minor antagonists obviously we all love Trixie but my personal favorite has to be the Flim Flam brothers. There the classic evil wheeler dealer double act.  :muffins:

I'm the only one who voted for Midnight Sparkle, because I love OPness and driven by curiosity/power at such an intuitive level. Aside from that Discord was creative so he gets brownie points as well as Starlight for being a total. I mean I don't like her B but she has more personality and hateability. I think the dazzlings are like too self-absorbed and standardish but maybe that's EQGs in general. Chrysalis was nifty before but she seems a little 2-d to me. I mean Midnight Sparkle is 2d also but ya know I relate more to her than Chryssi I guess.

Then loved this last Trixie episode. I mean FlimFlam are catchy but too hateable and shallowly driven/ 2-d, Trixie I like the narcissism and she has more going on than she'd admit.

Starlight Glimmer. What led her to make the cutie markless village makes sense, she has tremendous power, Her revenge was creative, and even after she got redeemed she was okay.

• 1 year later...

Discord is BY FAR my favorite villain for many reasons, BUT people say that Sombra is overrated, but if anything, he is the most underrated. In a way he reminds me of Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty. He's just evil to be evil. His first appearance in the show gave me such a chilly and unsettling feeling. The only time I've ever truly felt scared in the whole series. The way Sombra had affect on every pony in the Crystal Empire really says something about his character. All of the Crystal ponies were tainted by him and what he had done to them for so many years, and they still had to suffer through the things Sombra must have put them all through after Celestia and Luna trapped him. The way the one pony reacted to his return by saying, "He's back! I can't take it!" And stormed off running (only to be faced by him again with such a scared look) really gives you a look at how awful he must have been. Everything about his character and dark aura screams evil. 

Oooh a thread bump fun!

You know I actually just watched Friendship Games again the other day and I have to say....I really enjoyed Principal Cinch! I guess that's an unpopular opinion but as a one-off in movie only villain, she was such fun to watch and stayed that way with her conniving and self absorbed character all the way to the end especially with "Unleash the Magic" awe it was getting me so tense with her manipulation of the students. I love it! This is what Tirek was missing for me was that pure evil yet still human aspect of a villain, not just destroy everything I don't care anymore! Definitely have a new ranking:

1) Sirens

2) Discord

3) Principal Cinch

4) Starlight Glimmer (old #3)

I also can't wait to see where the Pony of Shadows and Storm King/Tempest are going to fall.

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 1

I love Chrysalis a lot now, especially after what they have done with her. She to me seems like the most important villain, though I would love to see her reformed too. She has a great design and I feel bad for her. The other villains are ok, but she is my favorite as a villain.

I like Starlight as a character more, but I think Chrysalis is my favorite villain.

Poll has been updated to reflect Legend of Everfree (Gloriosa), the MLP movie (Tempest & Storm King), and the EqG shorts (Juniper, though as an antagonist).

Season 7 finale villain will be added next weekend when finale airs in the US.

• Brohoof 1