Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Any words/terms that the Internet has made you hate?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

With the advent of the Internet, it seems the English language has gone through several small phases within it. Many words have sorta shifted in meaning and others, are now being used in a very repetive manner for one reason or another. This can result in making a word or term become very unappealing and thus, extreme dislike.

Let's go into that topic. What are some words or terms that the Internet has made you hate?

One recent one for me is the word cringe. I don't get what the obsession is with this word lately, but the internet seems to really love using it in a really snarky manner. Its gotten old really quickly for me. 

• Brohoof 2

I personally can't stand the term "mary sue". It doesn't mean anything due to the fact that everybody and their grandmother have their own ideas about what makes an OC a mary sue, but everybody still use it all of the goddamn time. 

• Brohoof 8

"I once was a *insert whatever here* until I took an arrow to the knee."

Okay I get it, it is a somewhat amusing line from a great game but it became the epitome of overused memes.

"Peanut butter jelly time"

I have no idea where the hell this one even came from and that at least half the reason this one pisses me off so much, I can never figure out what the fuck it even means and it was way way overused.

• Brohoof 1

Well seeing as how Mary Sue has been overused and misused to the point where I don't even consider it a valuable criticism anymore, I can say that the internet has at least made me no longer like that term. 

• Brohoof 2

Bigot/racist/sexist/homophobe etc have all lost meaning as a result of being flung around by some groups at anyone who disagrees with them.

I agree entirely, those on the extreme/regressive left use these terms so lightly as an attack of first resort as if it should automatically conclude the discussion in their favour, even when the person they are attacking has displayed no such prejudice.

Additionally, I get fed up seeing Japanese words like 'Otaku' or 'Senpai' being used constantly, and usually completely out of context.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 7

" 'Murica". I hate hate hate that. Even rednecks don't even sound like that with a u. It would be an e at most. Regardless, annoys me.

c925119c180776d2d239e38f391318e9.jpg

• Brohoof 6

I'm not sure if this one originated on the internet, but the acronym Y.O.L.O has always annoyed me ever since it was introduced. I know that the use of it has died down a lot, but I still hear it every now and again. I just see it as an excuse that some people use to do something dangerous, illegal, or ridiculous. It seems that they think by yelling out this thing, they are immune to harm, being arrested, or any other consequences. ...That and they think it makes them seem cool or edgy.

• Brohoof 2

I really dislike the term cringe. Not only is it used way too often, but far too many people use it in such a way that is so pretentious and cynical. It can be rather hurtful to hear at times.

There aren't a whole lot of Internet terms I dislike outside of that one, though.

• Brohoof 3

When I first heard of hipsters, I thought it was a pretty cool group. In my mind, it was a term to describe people who don't follow the trends just because they're there, and they try to search deeply for good quality things that deserved attention but never got it. I didn't mind the fashion statement either. And I thought I kinda fit into that group (though no one believed me).

But then the internet came along and stereotyped them into one of the most ridiculous, most made fun of groups around. And only after that happened did people wanna call me a hipster. Once it was a derogatory term. Thanks guys. >_<

Edited by PinkieatHeart
  • Brohoof 3

'Bae'. Seriously, the person who came up with that should be forced to listen to that word being spoken on repeat for all eternity. Also I hate the word 'triggered' and 'privilege' and most of the terms ending in -ist like ableist, because political correctness and SJWs are my archnemeses. Yes, the plural of nemesis is nemeses, and no I have no clue how one can have more than one archnemesis but that;s just how much I loathe those things.

• Brohoof 7

I hate the word "meme". Its everywhere now, and it just makes me cringe. It was kinda underground for a few years, maybe back when rage comics were still funny (they never were). But lately its being used in a cringe worthy amount. And becuase everyone keeps saying it on social and surface media, more and more "memes" pop up. It cycles back to us where we do it ironically to make it a joke but one day someone on Facebook or Twitter will take it too seriously and we'll all go back to laughing at white-bordered cat pictures with big impact-font text. Facebook and Twitter will be squished down the social ladder to hang out with reddit and 4chan while newer surface social sites are created, and we will have officially come full-circle.

If it every comes to this, know that I will bomb the Nexus and send us back to the early 1960s. You can then friend me and thank me when MySpace unironically comes back afterwards.

• Brohoof 3

"overrated" and "objectively"

Most of the time I've seen them used, they come off as being words people pretty much use just to say "how dare people disagree with my opinion" 

Edited by SuperALPHYSBrony
  • Brohoof 2

"Meme", "Darude - Sandstorm", "murica", "it's a free country", "I'm gonna tolerate and love the ____ out of you!", and every crappy meme in existence, along with, "Bae", "wife", "waifu", "senpai", all of that SHIT.

Oh, and I especially hate the " *insert your name* was here" and the whole "arrow in the knee" thing, along with "fam". Seriously, how the hell do people come up with these words?! I think the one I especially hate is when you try to reason or suggest something to someone, and they take it as an insult and are like "Your not my mom! :okiedokielokie: ".

I also hate how people seem to like using the word "autism" as an insult nowadays.

Edited by iNachos10
  • Brohoof 3

I have a few. ._.

Zeitgeist

Misogynist

"Check Your Privilege"

griefer

neckbeard

politically correct

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I remember back when everybody hated everybody. Nobody thought that each and every single word was racist, sexist, homophobic, prejudice or otherwise. It was all just pure and brutal hatred for everything around them. A time when people wouldn't kill themselves just because somebody told them they suck online. When we could all sit in rooms and hate each other but still find common ground to speak to one another without the fear of being hit with charges. The world used to be a cold hard place, but suddenly we lost that firm grip on things. Everybody began crying out about how they were sad because people were being mean. I grew up being bullied and tormented too, but I always knew deep down that it doesn't matter what people say. Also, I just miss being able to have a normal conversation without being worried I may have to be nice, because the twitter PTSD is strong in someone. ._.

• Brohoof 4

When people use "k" in a year. 2K15, 2K16, etc.

Seriously, I understand its faster to say "2K16" than "two thousand sixteen", but I really don't get why you cant type a 0. It literally doesn't shorten it at all when you type it.

• Brohoof 4