Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could getting bucked by a real life Pony hurt a human?

Azureth

In the show many of them in particular AJ and RD are shown to be pretty strong with their hooves and when they buck something. But what about real life? Anyone know how strong real Ponies hooves are, and what would happen if one actually used their hooves and bucked a person? 

Assuming that the ponies' hooves from MLP are similar to ponies of real life, then yes, it would hurt being kicked by them. While I have never been kicked by a pony, I have been kicked by a Fresian horse in the leg. It was indeed painful and even though ponies are smaller, they can certainly pack a lot of power in their legs.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It would hurt them a lot. Ponies are smaller than horses but can still pack a punch. It would defiantly bruise the person real good. If hit in just the right way it could definitely break some bones. Overall would not recommend standing behind one to test it out

Edited by RadonRebel
  • Brohoof 1

Don't judge a pony by its size. I have never been kicked by one before, I don't plan to, but I have full certainty that they can still hit incredibly hard despite their stature. And they are strategic too! Because of their height, they could hit you square in the knee or elsewhere and THAT, would be trouble.

• Brohoof 1

Yes. A full on buck from a true pony can kill a human.

Real life ponies are any horse breeds below four and a quarter feet or so at the shoulder. It's usually part of the various breed standards that they are very tough and strong, as they are still technically supposed to be working animals with most of the strength of a full-size horse and who can survive off poor feed and conditions. 

The smallest true ponies are the Shetlands and Shetland cross-breeds like the Lopez Island Ponies. I've actually dealt with a feral Lopez Island Pony and that thing was capable of taking your head off given half a chance. It bucked the back of my friends pickup truck, and smashed the tailgate to the point we had to use a wrecking bar to get it open again. That was unshod, of course. If it actually had horseshoes on...

Now, on the other hand there's a thing called 'Miniature Horses'. Minis are smaller than most ponies, maxing out at about Shetland Pony size. Mini's are bred as decorative pets and are usually somewhat stronger than a dog about the same size but that's about it. They're not as strong as ponies, pound for pound. When most people think 'pony' they're actually thinking about Miniature Horses. Being kicked by a mini can hurt a heck of a lot, simply because all their strength gets concentrated down onto those small hooves. However, it's unlikely to kill you unless it hits you somewhere very specific.

• Brohoof 1

Yes. A full on buck from a true pony can kill a human.

Real life ponies are any horse breeds below four and a quarter feet or so at the shoulder. It's usually part of the various breed standards that they are very tough and strong, as they are still technically supposed to be working animals with most of the strength of a full-size horse and who can survive off poor feed and conditions. 

The smallest true ponies are the Shetlands and Shetland cross-breeds like the Lopez Island Ponies. I've actually dealt with a feral Lopez Island Pony and that thing was capable of taking your head off given half a chance. It bucked the back of my friends pickup truck, and smashed the tailgate to the point we had to use a wrecking bar to get it open again. That was unshod, of course. If it actually had horseshoes on...

Now, on the other hand there's a thing called 'Miniature Horses'. Minis are smaller than most ponies, maxing out at about Shetland Pony size. Mini's are bred as decorative pets and are usually somewhat stronger than a dog about the same size but that's about it. They're not as strong as ponies, pound for pound. When most people think 'pony' they're actually thinking about Miniature Horses. Being kicked by a mini can hurt a heck of a lot, simply because all their strength gets concentrated down onto those small hooves. However, it's unlikely to kill you unless it hits you somewhere very specific.

Wow, that's crazy! So if a Pony were to kick you in the chest do you think they could break a few ribs?

(edited)

Having been dazed by one such instance, I can indeed vouch for their power. It hurts, unless you are unlucky enough to receive a shot to the head, which may spell death.

Fortunately for me, I had a helmet on at the time. Shattered the helmet into three pieces and left me so dizzy I could only lay on the ground for about fifteen minutes, but otherwise fine.

Wow, that's crazy! So if a Pony were to kick you in the chest do you think they could break a few ribs?

Almost with ease.

Edited by Quillwaver

More than a few ribs. Even the small Shetlands weigh about 450-500 pounds, and can put most of that weight behind a double-barrel buck. If they manage to fully connect it's like being hit by a small car.

(edited)

Well, earth ponies seem to actually be as strong, or even stronger than real horses, not just ponies. I mean, Applejack can buck a tree hard enough to make ALL the apples fall off at once. That's pretty strong. Getting bucked by a real horse can kill a person, so I imagine getting bucked by an earth pony would too. 

As for how strong real ponies are, I don't know, but I doubt getting bucked by one would feel very good. 

Either way, getting bucked by a pony, real or MLP, would hurt.

Edited by El Duderino

My Cousin was kicked in the knee, by a Horse, so that kinda counts i think.

According to him, that hurt a lot but nothing was broken.

I myself, have no experience in getting bucked by a Horse or Pony.

Yeah, real horses can kick the daylights out of you (I've felt it first hand)! But I like to think a kick from our pastel ponies would be softer and less traumatic because they're toons. Everypony knows toons are soft and squishy, so why should their kicks be so bad? I know, they can kick apples out of trees, but remember, those are also toon trees. The apples are probably easier to buck off than a hard real tree. I'm not saying you wouldn't feel a kick from one of our pony friends, but I just don't feel it would be a matter of breaking bones. :please:  

• Brohoof 1

Put it this way - an M4 Sherman medium tank exerts around 9.4 Newton-cm2 / 13.7psi ground pressure. A horse can kick with a force up to 1,378 Newton-cm2 / 2,000psi. So basically, a horse's kick can theoretically do more immediate damage than being rolled over by a tank.

This should answer your question. Basically, A single "light" kick from Applejack would be enough to snap the hardest thickest bone in your entire body. A Powerful Kick would be enough to probably kill you and a full power double hoofed death kick would obliterate your body in pieces. 

Ponies are more faster, more durable, able to break or at least bend the laws oh physics with their bodies in ways that our greatest machines cannot even do. 

• Brohoof 1

A kick from even some of the weaker ponies could do serious damage, ones from the stronger ones like Applejack will probably kill you.

Don't stand behind one, and don't get close to one or try to climb on their back unless they know you and trust you well. Let them sniff your hand first, talk nice to them, learn the language, give 'em treats and don't play rough. If a pony has a mean reputation, especially a stallion, stay away from him and let the pros handle it. That's all I know so far.

• Brohoof 2