Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about pony costumes/suits?

zerox

I think that the people who make those are really talented. Ive always been impressed with people who make those things, especially the more intricate ones with lots of detail. Though I have to admit when operated, they can be a bit creepy depending on how they move and articulate.

Ponysuits, like all mascot-style fursuits, tend to be pretty expensive. Not just to buy, but to construct yourself. Good quality funfur is hideously expensive per yard compared to most other cosplay-viable fabrics, and makes a serious mess of your work area when you're dealing with it. It's a lot like glitter, it just spreads everywhere...

And then there's the mobility question. Depending on the style of digitigrade construction, going up and down stairs can be tricky.

And finally visibility, as those heads cut down what you can see a lot, even with the more sophisticated techniques. The other style of fursuit where you're wearing prosthetics instead of a full head is vastly superior for vision, but looks *really* weird on a ponysuit. I don't recommend it.

It seems like a lot of the time when someone is making fun of bronies in a video or something they include a picture of someone wearing one of these. There have been a few top ten lists that have snuck in a jab at bronies AND THEY ARE SO freaking random.

I think it's because of this that I have garnered such.. Well, I don't exactly hate them. I guess it would be more accurate to say they make me uncomfortable, I don't want someone to hear the word brony and think these. I'd much rather have them think of the great fan fictions, like friendship is optimal, the last pony on earth, Sucker for a cute face, Fallout Equestria, University days, forever young, Twilight's dollhouse. I'd rather them think of the awesome fan music like lullaby for a princess, Shy Heart, Lost, chant of mirth!

These costumes aren't the best our fandom has to offer, they just happen to be easiest to make fun of. 

But I'd argue the right to wear these things until I was blue in the face because there isn't anything wrong with them.

They're just costumes, and if you like them, go ahead and strut your stuff. 

You just won't see me donning one anytime soon.

Unless I was like super drunk and one just happened to be on hand.

I have a friend with an RBD costume, and they really seem to enjoy interacting with others in it at pony cons. I for one, support this hobby! Besides, it's all in fun, and I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little jealous. <3 

I think they're cool. It must take a massive amount of work to make something like that, not to mention they can be really cute:

sig-4763005.sig-4761707.1292007__safe_pr

The Japan PonyCon players are hooves down the best and really in a level all on their own. They also have an amazing sense of humor ... take this last BABSCon for instance. They showed up to Andy Prices booth like this ...

sig-4763005.c63.jpeg

• Brohoof 3

The Japan PonyCon players are hooves down the best and really in a leave of their own. They also have an amazing sense of humor ... take this last BABSCon for instance. They showed up to Andy Prices booth like this ...

sig-4763005.c63.jpeg

Man that is really awesome.

anyone have more pics?

I do have to admit, clearly full-body costumes like those take a whole ton of effort and creativity. Whatever else I may say, there's kudos to be had for the courage & will to do and make stuff that elaborate.

But...to me......Some people are afraid of clowns, or mall-store Santas...my shtick is those mascot costumes! For much the same reason! It obscures the face and everything about the human underneath! It's far too close to something that isn't naturally seen! What sane being would wrap themselves willingly in a stuffy, mobile coffin of cloth like that? I for one can't possibly imagine that ever................

sig-4763515.sig-4763005.c63.jpeg

Tha-......Th.... There's a...Celestia one?...well, I guess, of course there had to be o-one...I mean, it...

Curse you Celly and your capacity to look good in literally every form you take...Geez, between my unquestionable loyalty to Celestia and my unquestionable fear of these suits... ambivalence I'm used to, but this is tri-bivalence!

Sigh, suppose it is something I could get used to. Like if I was stayin' in some motel where the lot of 'em were walking about. After the third or fifth one I'd probably stop freaking out & flailing like a fish. Ugh, this is a bit much for me to settle, Just imagining meeting someone in a Celestia suit...(Celesti-suit?...)

Edited later that evening:

Done a bit more research and seems there's this type of them called "Quadsuits." Down on all fours and looks significantly more realistic in my opinion. Think that's what it is with me... Guess I'm just scared of the Bipedal!

Edited by Widdershins

I'm well familiar with the Furry community--some of them were online friends of mine back in the day although I've since drifted away from them for personal reasons--so seeing these particular fursuits based off of MLP doesn't bother me. Quite the opposite actually. I just love how much work was put into them, and they get the facial features down pretty well. Of course, buying something like this isn't easy as a lot of money is involved, not to mention time, resources, among other things.