Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Worst Videogame you've ever played

Luigi

I would say Superman 64. I remember renting it several times in a row because I just didn't understand why I was finding the game so difficult. I was only like 10 and I kept wondering if I was just bad at games. That's when I realized that I wasn't bad at the game, it was the game that was bad. So yeah, even though there may be worse games out there, Superman 64 taught me that games could be bad sometimes. So it gets my worst game ever.

I can't really decide on one. I'll select worst game based on a few categories:

• Worst in Shovelware: Pokemon Dash. Holy crap, how did Gamefreak allow this to be shipped? And it was by the same company that made Hey You, Pikachu! and Pokemon Channel! They could have done so much better. Or at the very least, allowed you to choose any other character to play as besides Pikachu. A close second was Wacky Races for the DS, which is a joke compared to the game released for the gameboy roughly a decade earlier.
  • Worst in Boredom: Lego Rock Raiders on the PS1. Generic 2.5D collectathon with time-based missions, bland "music" and really ugly graphics compared to pretty much anything else on the platform. Whenever I played it, I remembered in my head I could be playing Digimon World or Monster Rancher instead.
  • Worst in Glitchiness: Almost certainly Pokemon Blue. That doesn't mean it was a bad game, it was a huge part of my childhood; it's just that it's honestly glitched to hell and back. You can even do arbitrary code execution on it now! Once you obtain the item 8F and exploit the missingno glitch ~20 times, you can make all sorts of interesting stuff happen.
  • Worst in Voice Acting: Sonic Adventure DX. I don't think I really need to explain... Again though, part of childhood; I can't be too mad at it. If I had the original XBox though, Metal Wolf Chaos would be that game because I would figure out a way to play it somehow. The voice acting is so bad, but so wonderfully, wonderfully cheesy.
  • Worst in Disappointment: Megaman Transmission. Completely different gameplay style than the GBA games. Why couldn't it have been an RPG instead? I wanted to like it so badly, but I couldn't get used to it being a hybrid of the original megaman games and the battle network series.
  • Worst in "WTF do I do?": Lego Creator. Maybe it was because I was a kid, but I had honestly no idea what the heck I was doing when I played this series. I almost want to go back now and try again because it honestly was a pretty cool idea, but it had some major performance issues. 
Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 2

In Terms of Worst MMORPG, I would say Maple Story. It has no endgame contents, no party play, all about grinding, Too boring, too many hackers, botters, bugs, and glitches, lack of security and GM activity, too many events, and game crashes too much. The GMs are suppose to keep watch of the game and catch these hackers and botters instead of participating and making events.

Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods. Incredibly glitchy (it even had glitches that were previously removed from Gothic 3 game somehow), story was a total mess to the point I can't even tell what was it about. Poorly written side quests (You can make game unbeatable, because one of side quests requires killing NPC essential for finishing the game), overall a huge disappointment and I loved Gothic series. But what could You expect when You take away rights to create the game from team, who developed all the Gothic games and then gave it to random amateurs along with glitchy engine and no proper documentation? 

Heroes VI: Once again, big fan of series and it hurts me deeply to point this one out. Just like before - total glitchfest. Oh, and incredibly dumb AI. More stupid than in any HOMM game before, clearly having the problem fix with cheating a lot (spawning huge armies out of mid air etc). It created yet another problem - only way to beat it is rushing and constantly pestering it. No other strategy that can even destroy actual players works, because You'll be defeated by sheer numbers. Even if You have 6 castles and AI has just 1 (tested on necropolish campaign). 

Dragon Age II - it wasn't a super bad game, but still among my personal worst. Clearly very rushed with boring locations and a lot of lost potential. Also has one of the worst homosexual romances ever. Why do I, straight guy point it out? Because I get negative points for rejecting the guy. Now if I got same punishment for straight characters I wouldn't care. Actually I would approve as it'd reflect real life in a way. But straight characters are untouched by my rejection. Wonderful :v Back to locations they were recycled - every cave looked the same, every basement, dungeon, deep roads fragment looked exactly the same. It was so lazy I cringed hard when game insisted, that 100% same location is something very different. Come on, Bioware, are You this lazy? Story was an overall disappointment. It was a good idea (instead of being a world saviour You just start new life as a refugee), but poor execution ruined it. I enjoyed combat, I won't lie... but it got clouded by major flaws the game had. 

Tron: Killer App. There are lots of games I despise, but I couldn't even get this to start. I don't think it was a glitch; it just made it impossible to figure out how to play. This is an older game and disappeared quickly (for good reason). 

Not counting no-talent hack Steam titles? I can name three.

Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters (1992; NES) - It's a "turn-based strategy" title that relies less on strategy and mostly luck. Instead of playing as Godzilla or the other monsters, you're playing as military forces. First off, the concept doesn't make sense because military forces almost always get slaughtered against giant monsters. Especially in Toho movies. Second, the only way you can attack monsters and inflict enough damage to win is completely up to luck. Your mode of attack depends on a slot machine mechanic. So in reality, the player doesn't stand a chance. If you miss one matching slot, your attack won't make contact. The monsters don't need slot machines to wreck your entire battalion, though. It's stupid. I was severely disappointed when I rented this as a kid. I recently played it, and the game is just as bad as I remembered.

Superman 64 (1999; N64) - Unlike Godzilla 2, I actually bought this game. People have probably heard of its mind-numbing gameplay. Yeah, the rings are bad but so is the combat. There are several game killing glitches that can force you to start the level over even after you've completed one (the level isn't over until you go past the "mission complete" screen which prompts the player to press a button to proceed; in the second or third stage, you can be killed if you don't press a button in time). I ended up using cheats to get past the first level. Eventually, this was what I ended up doing for the rest of the game. It's complete garbage. Bad controls, absurd objectives, and hollow environments also hamper the player's enjoyment. Just avoid it.

Vampire Rain (2007; Xbox 360) - Metal Gear Solid wannabe with vampires. Said vampires have psychic A.I.'s, and can kill your controlled character with so much ease. Your weapons are almost completely ineffective against the vampires, so you have to imply stealth to hopefully sneak past them (and they seem to know where to find you even if you're well hidden). Arguably, Vampire Rain is the WORST game ever released for the Xbox 360. It takes one or two hits to be killed. The death cutscene which shows the player character being fed on by a vampire is one that I saw numerous times. At least with Superman 64 I found ways to laugh at it years later. I can't say the same for this. It was a rental. Worst $5 I ever spent.

• Brohoof 3

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 (Xbox 360) - Glitchy mess and terrible graphics.

Batman: Revenge of the Joker (Mega Drive) - This game is unplayable, horrible music, and graphics. You can't even beat the first level. Your only attacks are kick and shoot. Pretty much this game is unfair.

Fantasia (Mega Drive) - God I hate this game so much. No matter what age you are (kid, teenager, or adult), you can't beat the game. This game is totally unfair, controls are bad, terrible music, and too many enemies in every level.

There are unplayable NES games, but those have been reviewed. I will modify the question to be "games that I hated so much I couldn't play." I would say Dead Rising. The first game seemed good in theory, but I hated the ticking clock so much that I refused to play it after a couple hours. All I want to do in a zombie game is run around and kill zombies, but the time limit makes that impossible in the game.

My personal winner was Homefront back on the 360, total rubbish. Campaign was 6 missions long and and you could shoot down attack helicopters with your pistol... awful game.

I'm probably going to have to go with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 I know, it's probably one of the more popular but here's why I dislike it so much. I have played the Call of Duty franchise from the very beginning, COD 1 Final Hour and on wards till Black Ops 2. The Single Player for COD games have always been a treat to sit down and play through, at least from my experiences, I lived out some major fantasies thanks to COD in my younger years (minus actual danger to my life, thank you video games). So up until COD 4, which heavily featured Multiplayer as a core aspect of the game, COD 3 had multiplayer but wasn't as popular and wide used until COD 4 Multiplayer. More people had consoles with an internet connection! Their was a time when people played console without internet! Isn't that mad!? So I started getting heavily sucked into this COD 4 world of Multiplayer which at the time was amazing, not much around was like it, you could play against people from ALL over the world! It was pretty mind blowing stuff at the time and it seemed like everyone and their grandma was doing it. I had no clue how to play as I hadn't played many if any Multiplayer competitive games and I was still very young at the time so learning things in a game on top of learning the fundamentals to life from school had its impact on my performance. But I was non the wiser to it, I played for the fun of it, pretending to be a soldier in a made up Earth against a made up enemy with computer made guns that shot computer made up bullets. 

Now I started getting into the nitty gritty scene of the competitive multiplayer experience, joining clans, playing with friends, fighting people 1v1 because of an argument over the mic. It was all fun and fresh and new to me as someone who was used to solely enjoying the game by himself in his own way. Then COD World At War or something along those lines was released, I wasn't too impressed at first. I had gotten a custom to shooters being set in the World War 2 Period that I was too committed to the idea of Modern Combat at the time, so I put off from getting it. I eventually decided to get it with time and some friends from school saying it was bad ass and actually good. It was bad ass and good, it was everything and more than  I was expecting from a typical WW2 game that I've come a custom too. WW2 never looked so good, I had been used to seeing the games typically in low poly and scrapping the bucket beginnings of gaming type graphics, but this was amazing and refreshing from COD 4. I played it more than I played COD 4 and found a permanent love for all things WW2 from it. The Singeplayer was thrilling and multiplayer was immersive and it had a general good feeling about it, plus all the WW2 movies and documentaries of the time helped gander even more interest in it. I made some great friends playing the game, it had also a hidden weapon tucked away to those who completed the game. A CO-OP mode where you fight hoards of the undead! I was scared to play at first because scary things were scarier when you were younger. I was generally terrified when playing myself and hearing zombies and ghosts making noise in the eriee atmosphere, I jumped many a time when waiting for a zombie to come round and corner only to be hit from behind!

So, so far everything has been really enjoyable and fun, both games left lasting good impressions and were both very successful sellers among the gaming community of the time. Well then MW2 was annouced, the hype train was real, like it felt like everyone, their mamas, their grandmas and their undead ancestors were all on board the hype train for its release. And it looked from the gameplay reveals, trailers and leaked footage of people playing early that it was going to be the next Jesus. When I got my hands on it I played through the single player first, as I typically do with most games that have a single player, if anything to get myself into the controls and feel. I was pleasantly satisfied with the single player, it helped build up hype to start getting into the nitty gritty of multiplayer, I was sad to realise that zombies was not making a return. But I wasn't too destroyed as I had all the zombie maps on COD WAW and it was a game set in another period but I had a need for zombie killing in the modern era, ah well, I still hopped onto COD WAW and played many hours of zombies. So the single player was fun and entertaining, the coop had no zombies (sad face) now all was left to do was the multiplayer, the thing that made this last longer than it should have. Everything was very cool and modern feeling, un-naturally modern, its own alternate reality to what modern really was at the time. It was terrible, I died more then than I did in COD 4 and I was pretty much a headless chicken in COD 4. The killstreak choice was the biggest killer for me, the amount of killstreaks along with how ridiculous power house they were made it very unenjoyable. Dying repeatedly to a helicopter with aim bot is no fun at all, and shotguns killed you from across the map! Noob Tubes were so real and in large abundance, one many army let you have unlimited troll items for camping it out in one spot. Juggernaught, grenade drop and Last Stand were a mistakes as perks you could have every time you respawn, I also believe it was complained about in COD WAW, but because the game had such a fun vibe it wasn't brought to wide scale attention like it was in the cold MW2. I just cannot get into MW2, it is just not my game, I played well in every other game but MW2, it's by far my worse experience in a game.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Watch Dogs 2 for the same reasons. The prequels to them had dark or cynical moods and the sequels were complete 180's. In Blood Dragon's case, it was pretty much a completely different game. I'm fine with mood changes, but if it completely changes the atmosphere, then that's too much for me.

17 hours ago, WokeSmeed said:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Watch Dogs 2 for the same reasons. The prequels to them had dark or cynical moods and the sequels were complete 180's. In Blood Dragon's case, it was pretty much a completely different game. I'm fine with mood changes, but if it completely changes the atmosphere, then that's too much for me.

Honestly, Watch Dogs 1 was too dark and moody to be of any real fun, and by sticking with this mood they ruined the story since there wasn't many "fun" moments. Watch Dogs 2 is a good change because of the fact that the games are silly in of themselves and not taking itself too seriously helps its story. And whilst Farcry 3 was a bit dark in areas, it wasn't so dark to say that blood dragon was a complete 180.

Anyway, worst game I've played that wasn't just shovelware would be Dinner Date, there's no gameplay and the story itself doesn't make up for it, it's just a man whining for 15 minutes.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (NES) - A boring mess of bland graphics, nonstop enemies, and obscure bosses with time limits. I guess it's more of a personal opinion, since it probably wasn't that bad for its time. But, even as a kid I hated this game.

(edited)

Well, the Video Game " Shoot " by Phoenix Games i believe, is the worst one i have played, in terms of cheap production.

I mean all the Mini Games are as simple as " shoot as long as you can and get a highscore ", no story, no boss battles, you can only move from left to right in the shooting stages, with one screen at a time and a very empty looking sky level, in which there is nothing, except a few enemys you have to shoot.

And the worst part is, that some of these Mini Games are exact the same, just with a slightly different colored character and that some of these Minigames were also sold seperately under a new title.

In terms of being unplayable or frustrating i would have to say " Ghostmaster The Gravenville Chronicles ", i dont remember exactly what got me so frustrated, but i ended up, smashing the Cd, because i got so angry. I guess it was, because it took so freaking long to get a person to go, where you want them too and then you can still screw yourselve, by not making your character do something in time and you have to do it all over again. Its basically like the Sims, but you play as a Ghostmaster and have to bring the Sims to move somewhere, by scaring them with Monsters, which you also have no direct control over, you just place them somewhere, as far as i remember. It just takes soooo long and its kinda random, if the characters will move, where you want them to.

There is also the Game " Realm of the Dead " from Midas Games, which is a Zombie Horror Game, with kinda simplistic graphics and its not really scary. It was still interesting to play, at least, even though as a Horror Game, it was pretty boring. Its more of a fantasy/horror hybrid and sometimes really difficult.

Edited by Lex Destrosio

On April 20, 2017 at 10:04 PM, Panzy said:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (NES) - A boring mess of bland graphics, nonstop enemies, and obscure bosses with time limits. I guess it's more of a personal opinion, since it probably wasn't that bad for its time. But, even as a kid I hated this game.

I actually kinda liked that game lol. I never got very far, but I was always so happy to be able to play as my favorite Godzilla monster, Mothra =^-^=

From what I have seen, that NES game is still one of the best Godzilla games to date :o

1 minute ago, K.Rool Addict said:

From what I have seen, that NES game is still one of the best Godzilla games to date :o

You must not have played Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla: Save the Earth, or Godzilla Unleashed then.

6 minutes ago, Panzy said:

You must not have played Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla: Save the Earth, or Godzilla Unleashed then.

Aren't those fighting games though? :o

If I'm playing a legit fighting game, my standards go through the roof. For example, I think casual fighting games like most DragonBall adaptations are complete trash despite having high critical acclaim from the fans. I DO like some Dragonball videogames, like DBO for example, but those aren't straight up "fighting" games and instead opt for legit open world RPG gameplay.

My favorites fighting games include: Vampire Savior, Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, Marvel vs Capcom 2 (yes ik this is a tad casual but it is still a blast), Super Smash Bros. Melee, and thats about it. I suppose the original BlazBlue was decent too, but I couldn't STAND it when they neutered nerfed my main, Racheal Alucard, in the subsequent releases >.<

Edited by K.Rool Addict

9 minutes ago, Panzy said:

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee and Godzilla: Save the Earth are good games. However, Godzilla: Unleashed was an unpolished mess full of glitches/bugs and questionable control responses. Atari wanted the game to hit shelves before their rights to the Godzilla license expired, which resulted in a rushed product. The only good thing about Godzilla: Unleashed was the bolstered roster of monsters. The apocalyptic theme had promise, as well as the large selection of monsters, but the aforementioned issues killed it.

Not to mention, some characters are really cheap. Destoroyah's Horn Katana attack could be spammed and it went through any block attempts by the opponent. The attack originally cost energy to use in G:DAMM and G:STE. It was a horrible oversight.

• 2 weeks later...

The worst video game I've ever played was Superman 64. I remember renting the game a few times from Blockbuster. Every time I played I could never get past the first level. Eventually, I just returned the game and stopped renting it. The controls were strange, while the game was difficult and not very fun.