Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do apple products suck?

Zyrael

I tried it ,

They have the best cameras...but I don't really like anything else about their products, 

It's just not worth the price in my opinion. 

My usual opinion is  that Apple products are 50% better, but at 3x the cost. Depending on who you are and your budget, that might be an acceptable tradeoff (I mean, I can buy a CAR for what a decent gaming video board costs, so clearly there are enough people willing to pay a significant premium for better quality)

Downside for me is the massively controlling nature of Apple for their stuff, meaning you either get what Apple chooses to let you have, or you get nothing.  That, more than the cost, is why I don't have Apple devices.

• Brohoof 1

The only Apple things I've ever used extensively are two classic Ipods, and an old Ipad. No problem with the Ipods, but the Ipad was outdated when it was given to me (it belonged to my mom). Was slow, and tended to close the apps out of nowhere. Though maybe it was because it was SO old 

WHAT THE BUCK DID YOU SAY!?

latest-13.thumb.png.7e5e5d4872534229d3ccb0e84de39693.png

Okay, look. Apple doesn't suck. They may be overrated, overpriced, overhyped and under-performing in light of these facts, but they don't suck. Apple products offer a unique form of status to go perfectly with your Strawbucks Coffee and superior morality like no 'Pearsonal Computer' could ever hope to achieve. Apples don't suck. Apple products lead new breakthroughs in technology as recently as 10 years ago and make sure you never forget it. Because they don't suck. Apple will help you buck different, with or without good grammar, by loyally following the most widespread consumerist trends of the day. So don't let those heathens and naysayers try to dissuade you. Take a bite out of the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of Mac and evil. Join us, buy us, grab your piePhone and ZapBook and let the eternal blessed light of our savior Steve shine upon you.

zap_apple_wood_wallpaper__apple_logo__by_evangel_windrunner-d7qtevv.thumb.jpg.6dcd3f1494c3c11bd0465a8459a630aa.jpg

Buck different.

P.S. Oh, and if y'all are feeling a little hungry and lookin' for some old fashioned processed breakfastly relief, come on down to your local market and grab some nutritious Applejacks cereal! They're delicious and that's the Honest Truth!*

img-1620059-1-portfolio-t-shirt-mlp-0010.thumb.jpg.b6f9de0730f4de7624cb9ca11d8c1606.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've never used a mac before, but I do have a Ipad, and used to have an old ipod. The old ipod was terrible, but I more hated using itunes. The ipad was good at first, but it's aging poorly. The performance and battery are both dying.

(edited)

To be honest on IOS devices Apple have deliberately put in things into the core sauce code to make certain features like Wifi, GPS and a number of other things to fail at a given date. Plus it's also to discourage people from replacing the batteries themselves as some devices are programmed to permanently disable core features. Apparently large number of the devices have the code in them that makes features fail randomly plus there's even a death error with IOS and it's known as error 52. Basically if you encounter error 52 your device is pretty much completely dead and unusable as the error completely and permanently breaks the device. So in the end if you encounter this error you would be forced to buy a new device and apple are already making enough money as it is but they are purposely putting in these failure flaws to increase their income. Plus even the real reason they removed the headphone jack on the IPhone 7 was just to make more money off licensing fees that companies have to pay in order to include a lightning to RC jack adaptor in their headphone products. This just shows that Apple are treating their customers like dummies and ripping us off just for extra profit when they are already making a really good profit in the first place.

PS: I do use an IPod touch 5the gen and original IPad Air for browsing on MLP forums. The IPod is starting to become quite slow and laggy with modern sites but it seriously struggles with big websites like Deviant Art and a number of others plus it can't even load certain websites as Safari literally just crashes when you try to load modern websites that are just too big. My IPad it still pretty good and it actually still handles websites like Deviant Art very well and smoothly but still I've kept it nice and fast by not updating it to IOS 10 plus my IPod doesn't even support any version of IOS that's newer than IOS 9.    :)

Edited by Techno Universal

• 2 weeks later...

Apple gets cocky and has, since the 70s, churned out computers that are complete and utter garbage. However, some of those failures had amazing design ideas carried over and enhanced by other companies such as the hierarchical file systems from the Apple III and GUI features from Apple Lisa. Despite the ambitious innovations and their seeming redemption with the release of the first Macintosh, they eventually lost the PC industry to Microsoft and Intel and even allied with bitter rival IBM to counter them with their PowerPC nonsense, which flopped and ended up leaving Apple to adapt to the 21st century and finally adopt the x86 architecture for their computers. Which weren't all that bad.

It's also no secret they have a very dictatorial policy towards computer service and software usage.

Do I think their computers suck? As a once avid user of the G series who read every article about nearly every computer they made, absolutely, no doubt about it.

Can I speak for their phones and laptops/tablets? No, maybe they are doing something right with those to stay afloat for this long.

• Brohoof 1

Ah yes, Apple. The company that hate the Norwegian consumer protection laws. I shit you not. Our laws protect companies from doing stupid shit, which Apple is notorious for. And they hate us for it.

As for the products themselves: Yes, they suck. They are limited OS-wise, app-wise and spec-wise. And are way more costly.

Where I have work practice we have nothing but problems with Apple products.

Fuck Apple. Overpriced hardware for lack of specs.

• Brohoof 1

@Yakamaru

Basically you prefer to see this parody of The iFhone 8 Leaked Commercial by YouTube User nigahiga. The guy ridicules Apple's marketing to absurdity.

Anyway, here's the video if curious,

Coincidentally, I'm typing this reply on my iPhone 6S. O_o

I miss my Android. Oh well.

Edited by ZethaPonderer
  • Brohoof 1

Suck is...such a strong word. "Special" maybe would work better. Like when your "special" brother puts dimes up his nose and sticks carrots in his eyes.

Spoiler

Really Apple products are best described as the "automatic transmission" of the digital world. They are certainly well built and stylishly designed products both physically and software wise but their main problem comes from the lack of "control" or "customization". They really do limit what you can do to what apps apple allows you to have. There are all sorts of development and program specific customization tools that Windows and Android has that allows common users to fill whatever experience they want to have. If you can code you can make it and install it on Windows and Android but for Apple products they inherently treat users like they are in day care where the grown ups get to decide whats best for you and your tastes. If you have ones that differ from apple. You're wrong and need to learn better.

This lack of customization does have one benefit in that it reduces crashes and unexpected bugs to a minimum. Obviously the more control you have over your product the more things can go wrong but then there is just some stuff that is made to be more of a "you gotta buy another" business methodology. If you want a bigger hard drive in your Mac "screw you buy another". If you want to expand the memory on your iphone "Screw you buy another". If you've had your products for a while and the batter no longer holds a charge and you just want to change it "screw you buy another". Apple KNOWS you may at one point want to upgrade or simply replace faulty parts of their products that would be super easy on other platforms but since that would mean 3rd parties would some control in their market  with their products that would eat away at Apple's profits, Apple would rather you just suck it up and buy another with the features you want.

By having such a stranglehold on their products like Nintendo they can essentially blackmail their customers into buying more products by saying "oh im sorry, it seems you need more space to fit your apps. Oh you dont have space and cant expand it...WELL we do have this new iphone 7 with the exact same capacity size but it is a lot nicer looking". "Oh thats not what you want? Well dont you want to be a somebody? Because you are a nobody without it. We encourage our customers to think differently...in where they spend their money not with us".

I'm not a huge fan of apple and don't use their products but from an objective standpoint I see them like this.

Pros: To begin with the software, apple is based off of UNIX the father of Linux. They share a lot of similarities but the main one being, in layman's terms, a very robust operating system that is tough to crack or mess with. That combined with very high quality displays, for basic tasks and niche uses (like any form of media editing) they do quite well. Also a lot of people enjoy the UI citing it is easy to navigate even for those who aren't as technologically inclined. TLDR, simple and reliable to use.

Cons: Price, right off the bat this is a major concern. No matter how you cut it, the hardware you pay for most Apple products, especially computers, are over priced for what you recieve. Yes the display and OS are nice but it doesn't come anywhere near justifying the cost. Now on to the OS, now the downside to the OS is how restricted it is. It restricts the user and developer which is a double edged sword as it does provide some security benefits but it also reduces it usefulness drastically. Also no the OS is not invincible it's just somewhat better in some aspects of security.

Honestly what I recommend to most people who are undecided when it comes to PCs/Laptops is to get a Windows PC then install Mac OSX on it in a dual boot configuration. You benefit from better priced hardware, can still use Windows for those things Mac can't do or do as well, and have the Mac OSX for whatever you normally use it for.

I wouldn't say Apple products suck, they just don't have the ability to play any good 3D based mmorpg physics based games, so I don't like them. Most Apple products are for offices and companies and they do YouTube videos and Amazon.com and things like that. Not Steam games. So yea(for me) Apple sort of sucks. 

• Brohoof 1

I've had my iPad 2 for 6 years, now. Sure, it was slow at some point, crashes apps occasionally, but it still works for me most of the time. It has a good battery life, and I still use it for Spotify, TuneIn, etc. Everything but gaming and web browsing. It is especially slow at loading heavy websites such as IGN, crashes the tab and reloads quite frequently. 

My iPad 2 is the first and only Apple product I have ever owned. I don't hate Apple, their products are very good IMO, at least for Average Joe's who are not very tech-savvy. My furry friend on PSN absolutely prefers Macs over standard PCs running Windows, because he's had a poor experience with PCs in the past. But, I personally prefer Windows over OS X mainly because there are more apps and games available for the aged OS. Same for Android over iOS. 

Also, if I want style for my tech, I'd just buy a cool-looking case for my desktop PC and install it, as well as a case for my phone.

Edited by d^_^b

• 6 months later...
(edited)

Personally I had quite a few issues with my old iPhone (it was a 4(s)) so I moved back to android,

I've heard that their computers are decent (apart from the USB-C).

Products "sucking" is a opinionated thing.

Personally, I say that apple stuff are shitey apart from their computers because they're great for video editing.

Edited by Sherbert Music-Guard, Scoffer of Shortbread

• 3 years later...

To put it lightly: I never understood how they even became a company when just about everyone had something better and cheaper on the market. 

Also how did they not go bankrupt with the Macintosh? Literally everyone had a better machine out then and were cheaper at the same time.

Yes I did have an ipod touch 4 and 5, still do, but they seem to naturally become so slow and have no battery by year 2 or 3 that...it sucks because they aren't cheap.

My school went from windows to apple computers...to chromebooks. That kinda says something. Also they demoted the "tech guy" who convinced the board to spend something like 6.5 million on new apple computers, because "even though we bought these windows computers last year(they were actually decent and running on an enterprise system) they are completely obsolete and extremely susceptible to hackers". 1 year later the school said they went through something like 60 keyboards and 70 mice(because right click is a standard to everyone but apple apparently). 2 years later they had approximately 40 different apple devices in a "bone yard" because, surprise, surprise, they got viruses that affected the hardware, not just the OS, but the hardware. The "hacking group" (which I will give them credit and say they do have a future in IT somewhere because what they were doing was true hacking) probably didn't help much by "accidentally" downloading and executing files from certain websites and finding out that the "tech guy" didn't really know what he was doing. 

I will say, as the "library assistant" during that time, the library got very solitary...as no one knew how to use them, as the world runs on Windows and has a Linux backbone...so it seemed like to me, you have to do about the opposite of what you would do in Windows for apple. Also it seemed like apple was extremely...locked down? Hand holdy? Babying you? Not to mention slow, I mean I thought IE launching was bad, but wow I was wrong. 

I did receive some credit for my opinions though...as my home made PC beat those macs at rendering a video by about 30 minutes if I recall correctly...and it cost less than half of those macs.

Safe to say, I don't like them, so I kinda agree, as I type this from a Samsung Note 8, while my PC is being a small space heater rendering a video. 

• Brohoof 1

Decent products on their own. But compared to PC and android Apple is massively overpriced, too closed and lack some features (which are presented as "innovations" every year)

Eh they don't suck actually many of their products are of very high quality, what does suck however is their pricing which indicates that they are higher performing then they actually are so you compare them to a cheap laptop. Finding yourself making a much, much better deal in that cheap little laptop opposed to the overpriced macbook. What made apple great in my opinion were the ipods which not only were very durable fun little devices they had character and very nice design. They were priced fairly as well, you got a lot for your money then you had the ipads again a lot of product for what the pricing indicated. I still have my first generation of ipad mini that works great same as my seventh gen ipod. However, their phones in my opinion are nice I just prefer android and their computers are overpriced. So overall apple products are great their prices just indicate they are better then their competitors which let's be fair they are not. You are paying for the brand and their design, something I don't really think about when buying a laptop or a computer as usually you are looking for a powerhouse or a workhorse not so much a fancy little laptop that is outshined by other cheaper ones haha.