Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you actually learned something from MLP?

PlzDelete

We all know that MLP started out as a show to learn about friendship and other things but has it succeeded? Has anyone in the fanbase learned anything? It doesn't have to be one of the lessons. It could have been something about the characters or about yourself! 

I personally have learned some things from the show.

I learned that characters like the mane 6 can still be written well. I learned that being yourself is more important then what others think of you. I learned that not everyone has given up on children's media. I learned that sitting down and feeling miserable without trying to get better is not good for anyone. I learned about how my depression worked and how I should beat it! 

I'm sure I learned a bit more but I can edit that in later. So, what about you all? 

• Brohoof 6

9 minutes ago, PuddingPonyPal said:

We all know that MLP started out as a show to learn about friendship and other things but has it succeeded? Has anyone in the fanbase learned anything? It doesn't have to be one of the lessons. It could have been something about the characters or about yourself! 

I learned that characters like the mane 6 can still be written well. I learned that being yourself is more important then what others think of you. I learned that not everyone has given up on children's media. I learned that sitting down and feeling miserable without trying to get better is not good for anyone. I learned about how my depression worked and how I should beat it! 

I'm sure I learned a bit more but I can edit that in later. So, what about you all? 

5 years ago, I was concerned about what would happen in the future. After watching It's About Time, I learned not to dwell on any future predictions and enjoy what life offers me at the moment..

• Brohoof 5

I learned that Derpy is best pony. :muffins:

Besides that, the show has helped me with self acceptance, even though I am still terrible at it. It also has reminded me to appreciate friendship way more, as it is very important in life.

• Brohoof 5

No, not really. At least not in context of the show's storylines. Most of the moral lessons the show gives us I already know about, practice, or in the case of some odd ones ... outright reject. That doesn't mean it isn't personally relevant or relatable, it's just that when it comes to FiM ... 

medium.png

• Brohoof 1

Many lessons. Most important is Twilight's lesson I think - go out and make friends. Been on this earth a long time and I don't think I've ever considered that mindset. I just figured friendship 'just happens' - well, not really - 

• Brohoof 3

I can’t really say any of the story lessons themselves have really taught me anything, but about learning something about the characters and myself...

I was only three when I saw another boy lived across the street from me, and I quickly went over to make friends. We became almost inseparable, we were always spending time together, he was without a doubt, the best friend I’ve ever had. He was, in-fact, the only friend I had as I didn’t get along well with my classmates. It was great being able to come home from a school we’re I didn’t get along well with anyone to a friend who just got me.

Until I was nine years old, and my parents decided they wanted to move to another house. I begged my parents not to split me from my only friend, but they wanted to move to a nicer house in a nicer area of town with enough room for the family. The place we moved to had no other kids there, it was all older couples looking for a retirement home.

After the move, I tried to call my friend once, but he wasn’t there. He never called me back, so I never tried again. Despite that, I still considered him my best friend.

A year later, my tenth birthday, my mom decided she was going to throw a party for me, and asked me who I wanted to come. I of course said I wanted to invite my best friend, but I was still too nervous to call him myself. My mom called and told me he was coming, but he was also bringing another boy from the street we used to play with sometimes. I didn’t care, I’d get to see my best friend again.

Of course, that’s not how that turned out. The other boy he brought was, of course, his new best friend, and they spent all the party together instead of it being the two of us. I was, of course, devastated to realize the person I thought I was still close to didn’t care about me anymore. That line Starlight said in the season five finale, “he moved on and I didn’t” really resonates with me.

Anyways, just like Starlight, I started to isolate myself, I spent all my time reading or drawing instead of trying to make new friends, and I slowly became angry and bitter to everyone around me. Not just angry though, I’d lash out at anyone who annoyed me, sometimes even physically. Years later, my mom confessed that I would scare her sometimes. My parents quickly realized there was something seriously wrong with me and got me the counseling I needed, but it was a little too late. Even now I don’t really trust people.

I wish there had been a character like Starlight’s when I was growing up that I could have related too, someone to show that even though losing a friend like that sucks, being alone and angry doesn’t help anything. Maybe I wouldn’t be as messed up as I am if I did.

• Brohoof 2

The first that I’ve learned from MLP is that cartoons meant for kids can be enjoyable for people of all ages. Basically, it showed me that modern animation isn’t dead.
MLP also helped me to bring out the softer side of myself and understand that expressing emotions is often a good thing.

Finally and most importantly, due to this show I began to value friendship more than I used to. Friendship is a wonderful thing, and I regret that I understood it too late.

• Brohoof 4

In all honesty, I think that the fan base began to build because of the characteristics portrayed by the ponies. Friendship is important however, not everyone learns that when coming across this show.

The show is enjoyable but sometimes the quirckiness can gat in the way of the premise and message tryingto be carried across to the audience.

Nonetheless, My Little Pony is, without a doubt, and astounding television show.

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, PuddingPonyPal said:

Well in the beginning I saw that I was literally a combination to the main six and that told me that I was literally and possibly a universal being. Like I see myself as the person who is ment to save the world from our self destruction and I could be a perfect role model for the media as I'm likely the most perfect human being to ever exist. So basically the show sparked me to see my true identity and how much power I've had all along. :)

• Brohoof 3

The big thing I've learned is reserving judgment whenever anyone tells me they like something I perceive to be "girly" or "childish". 

I know I've also sometimes used Twilight's stress relief exercise at work, and I'm pretty sure some of the morals have influenced some decisions I've made though I can't think of any off the top of my head right now. In general I think I try to be more open minded and less judgmental in general

• Brohoof 4

I can't say they were lessons that I learned, but more lessons I learned to take more seriously for my own personal improvement. 

I have been reminded of a few lessons that I learned while growing up, but had been put out of focus in my day to day life. It has been nice to remember experiences I had struggling with friends, family and myself while looking at a light hearted and funny cartoon.

• Brohoof 2

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:09 PM, Sunset Rose said:

I can't say they were lessons that I learned, but more lessons I learned to take more seriously for my own personal improvement. 

Pretty much the same here; especially lessons about trying new things and...well, personal improvement. Some of the latter lessons in season 7 definitely hit home for me.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

I have been reminded of a few lessons that I learned while growing up, but had been put out of focus in my day to day life. It has been nice to remember experiences I had struggling with friends, family and myself while looking at a light hearted and funny cartoon.

Yeah, I think there's something to be said for being able to see fairly universal experiences converted to simple metaphorical stories. A lot of what you take away from these is what you took with you to begin with, but had let slide away.

• Brohoof 1

Basically a lot of the Pinkie Pie stories lessons helped me to grow as a person :3

But in my defense five years ago I was childish, overt the top and not that mature. Now I'm still a child in the body of an adult, I still enjoy being random, having fun and making lot of new friends but I've also become a bit more mature in some area and especially emotionaly speaking.

Party of one taught me to try to resist to my paranoid delusion whenever one of my friend don't answer to me instantly. I'm much more chill in this area thanks to this episode and don't go anymore on a rampage after merely one hour of radio silence. Too many Pinkie Pies even if the lesson was deemed simple by many hit really close to home for me since basically before this episode aired I had a really hard time making choices when it came to friendship. For example I wasn't afraid to stay up for three days straight in order to going out with all of my friends, packing my planning without an hour to breath or sleep... Going bowling with one group, then drinking all night with another before using my morning to walk in a park with another friends, then having lunch with someone else, then going to the theatres and so on... After this episode I became a bit more careful to manage my health and not going overboard like this too often... and too just choose my activies and the friends I want to spend time with rather than just cram everything without thinking about how bad the consequences would be for me. Pinkie Pride taught me to don't freak out too much when one of my friend declines one my invitation because he wants to spend time with someone else. Maud Pie to don't force friendship between two of my friends just because I want to hang around with both of them at the same time. Party Pooped to be a bit more confident with what I do for a living and to accept the compliments of my friends on my work as valuable and not as meaningless words just to please me. And I can go on and on...

• Brohoof 2

MLP did make me appreciate my friends more.

Furthermore i found the episode about Fluttershy's brother oddly relatable. I am an expert at giving up myself also. Though the episode did not make me change my behaviour at all :adorkable:

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Spilight98 said:

MLP did make me appreciate my friends more.

Furthermore i found the episode about Fluttershy's brother oddly relatable. I am an expert at giving up myself also. Though the episode did not make me change my behaviour at all :adorkable:

You'll get better one day! If you can appreciate your friends more then you can learn to not give up! :) It takes more than an episode to change. It takes self encouragement. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, SparklingSwirls said:

Can I ask which ones? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts :) 

Bats, Boast Busters, and 28 Pranks later. Each moral required a flawed conditional to reach the lesson that can't be separated from the moral itself. Oddly enough I enjoyed two of those episodes (Bats and Boast Busters).

• Brohoof 2

Not really, some of the things I already know. But MLP is more of a reminder for me rather than a lesson learned. 

• Brohoof 2

On 10/31/2017 at 10:43 AM, PathfinderCS said:

Pretty much the same here; especially lessons about trying new things and...well, personal improvement. Some of the latter lessons in season 7 definitely hit home for me.

That's probably the best element of this question. While we already know these lessons, sometimes a personal one actually comes up that has you think beyond the episode. The focus on family and this season was thought provoking, as was the two episodes that underscored the importance of taking care of yourself.  

• Brohoof 4

I haven't learned anything new from the lessons--most of them either didn't resonate with me--but instead I find that I have re-learned some things that I once knew about but had forgotten over time. I also liked how certain ones I could relate to on a personal level though it did make me feel uncomfortable sometimes.

• Brohoof 1

Have I actually learned anything from the show? 

That would be a no. I am a Besserwisser, so I am always right :smug:

But really, the show has not made me learn something I did not know already. The best I can give is that it has reinforced or reminded me of certain things I might have forgotten for a while.