Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general How do you prefer to keep warm in winter?

aoEAF2FBvC0MIo2Q

How do you prefer to stay warm in winter?  

13 users have voted

1. 1. What is your fuel of choice for winter heating?

• Natural gas
    • HGL/LPG (propane, butane)
    • Liquid fuels (heating oil, kerosene, ethanol)
    • Solid fuels (coal, wood, charcoal)
    • Electric (heaters, heat pumps, geothermal heat pumps)
    • District heating (includes geothermal)
    • Other (please comment)
  2. 2. Which criterion is THE most important one for the above answer?

• Upfront costs (purchase and installation)
    • Lifetime costs (purchase, installation, fuel/electricity price, maintenance and disposal)
    • Fuel/electricity price
    • Health and safety
    • Personal experience
    • Service quality
    • Reliability
    • Other (please comment)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 2018-11-28 at 04:00 AM

Winter will be arriving and with that, so too will the time come to turn up the heat to prevent freezing to death.

There are different ways to stay warm for the season. There are electric heaters and heat pumps that use electricity to do the warming, there's natural gas, propane and butane (often classified as Hydrocarbon Gas Liquids or Liquefied Petroleum Gas), heating oil and solid fuels like wood and charcoal. It'd also be interesting to know why one might make their choice such as purchase and installation price, lifetime cost, cleanliness and reliability.

Do take note that I'm asking for your preferred primary mode of heating. I did hear about households that use solar collectors to supplement their heating but that's just it: it's a supplement. I've also heard of geothermal heat pumps. Those still need electricity to run.

Since I live in a tropical climate, I can't answer this poll myself. As for why I brought this up, energy is a topic I'm interested in and my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Ultimately, I thought it best to lump in biofuels as they too can be solid, liquid or gaseous. Refined biogas (biomethane), for example, is indistinguishable from natural gas. In some places around the world, refined biogas simply gets mixed in with natural gas.

EDIT: Fixed the poll. Sort of. It'll do. I just hope it works.

Edited by Querch

My primary means of heat is my central air conditioner unit. I think it has a heat pump because I haven't seen any heater coils on the inside unit. I don't need much heat since I'm hot natured. I typically keep the thermostat at 60 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter, which results in a much lower electricity bill. 

I think central air/heat is pretty reliable. Mine is 12 years old and still going strong.

I like basic electric heat. Natural gas, unless it comes from a pipeline with a steady supply, seems antiquated and tiresome to keep filled up. Electric is clean, efficient and convenient. I don't need a truck to come to my home and fill up a big intrusive tank at their convenience.  

• 2 weeks later...

I generally prefer the cold so I don't do much more than close the window and maybe put some pajama pants on. I don't even use a heating system except for extreme cases, which amounts to maybe a few days out of the year. Even then I can only stand it being on for a couple hours max then it's back to open window.

Usually I turn my heaters on and sit very close to them with a blanket wrapped around me... or I just get into bed and get into my sleeping bag.  I am  prepared for winter though do to my sister keeping the AC and all the fans on at all times

I think we have a gas furnace in the house and it happens to be installed right across form my room, so my room tends to stay warm throughout the year. Not so great in the summer but is super cozy in the winter. :3 If I still feel cold, then I blanket it up. That works for me.

I use the heater in the A/C that’s in my home, which is sufficient enough for me. I also use two layers of blankets when I’m sleeping/napping. Not enough? I wear leggings that are thick enough to keep me warm around the house as well (if necessary,though).

41 minutes ago, Khoufu said:

In a century-old house with little insulation, the most efficient way to keep ourselves warm is with an electric blanket since it's just the two of us.

Might be worth cheating a little - if you get cheap polystyrene ceiling tiles, paste them to the walls, then paper over, you add a significant amount of insulation without a massively visible change to the room (and without having to modify the walls themselves). Did that in a cottage I lived in for a while, where the walls were basically plasterboard with a thin layer of foamed concrete, and it worked well - only did the bedroom though, and pretty much abandoned the rest of the house to the cold for the winter.

Edited by CypherHoof
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Putting the heater on will usually do the trick for me, but wearing a coat definitely helps. Depending on how cold it is, a beanie or scarf comes in handy too. Winter is never really much of a problem for me.

• Brohoof 1

I actually enjoy the temperatures brought in by winter in the Midwest where I live so I’m usually in a T-shirt at home. Hell, I sometimes wear shorts. On the rare instances that I genuinely feel cold, I’ll put on a sweatshirt with sweatpants and lie on the couch or my bed with blankets on.