Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What traditions do you have during the 24 days until Christmas?

EpicEnergy

The tradition could be only one day, or it could be each day for 24 days until Christmas arrives! It could also be each day during the week of Christmas!

So, what are your traditions during these 24 days til' Christmas?

Here are my traditions:

Personally, I always had a marathon, watching all the episodes of my favorite TV show until the New Year's or Christmas. Last year I missed though because I was in college. This personal tradition of mine started out while back, with Transformers Prime. I re-watched every single episode of that. Then my interests changed and my favorite TV show was "How to Train Your Dragon", so I watched that instead. Recently, it has become MLP FiM, and has been that way ever since. At first, there wasn't that many seasons for me to re-watch, only season 4 was available that year. Then season 5 next year. I stayed on season 5 the next year because I couldn't get season 6 yet. However, now that there are 8 seasons, I'm probably not going to be able to re-watch each one of them so I'll just re-watch my favorites.

Another tradition I have is religious. It's my church's tradition, where one candle is lit each week until the Sunday on the week of Christmas. Each candle symbolizes something - there is the candle of hope, the candle of peace, and so forth. It's a little something my church does, I have no idea where it came from.

I have another tradition, a family tradition. It's that "elf on the shelf" thing. My mom and dad do it for my younger siblings, and they do it everyday 24 days until Christmas.

Edited by EpicEnergy
  • Brohoof 2

This isn’t something we’ve ever done, but it’s something I’ve wanted to do.

I think it would be kinda fun to do Festivus with the pole and the Airing of Grievances, but instead of the Feats of Strength, we do the Feats of Strategy: the head of the house chooses any person and challenges them to a two-player game. When the head of the house loses, Festivus is over.

Whacha think?

When I was young, I opened every morning a door in my advents calendar (typical german advent tradition). But nowadays where I am older, I don't have any traditions in the advent time. The only thing I do is that I listen mostly to christmas music instead of other music.

Edit: And I forgot to mention that we spark every sunday one of the four candles of our advents wreath

Edited by IronM17
  • Brohoof 1

One of my family's traditions is to decorate the entire house with numerous Christmas decorations to the point where we go completely overboard. My own tradition though is a bit more morbid in scope. I try my hardest not to lose my sanity due to my personal issues.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, IronM17 said:

When I was young, I opened every morning a door in my advents calendar (typical german advent tradition).

I still do it! :please: A bit childish maybe, but it's a nice tradition... and what better way to start a day than with a piece of chocolate? :P

That's pretty much the only Christmas tradition I have. Unless you count rewatching MLP Hearth's Warming episodes – last year I watched the first three for the second time, this time I'll do it with the two that were released this year. :)

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 4

I like to watch Frosty the Snowman and a few other Christmas shows with my family. I also do my gift shopping during this time, since I never do it early. Other than that, I don't do much till Christmas day. :P

My mother will bake cookies, fudge, and other tasty treats. Yum!

• Brohoof 2

24 days until Christmas? Don't you mean the 364 days until Christmas? I do Christmas activities all year long. It usually takes that kind of preparation just to keep ahead of the game. But in terms of localized holiday activities during the advent season, I have bunches of 'em. I start by making an Advent calendar which I mark off every day of the season. At the beginning of December I start listening to The Cinnamon Bear, which lasts me all the way up to the 23rd. Every night I watch a Christmas special or movie spanning every decade from the 1930s to present. I attend a local Christmas parade in the first week of December, participate in Christmas charities from mid-November to a week before Christmas, and I indulge in eggnog, Christmas cookies and fudge throughout the season (which also means a few side trips to the gym, with Christmas music playing on my earbuds). The tree goes up in the first week of December and I decorate the apartment around the same time. Christmas shopping begins in late September and is hopefully done by mid-November. Probably my favorite things to do are decorating the tree and spending time in front of it, listening to Christmas music with my closest ones. That's pure peace to me. 

• Brohoof 1

During all the days in December leading up to Christmas, we watch Christmas movies just about every night, usually choose a day to make Christmas cookies, and also go out to Wal-Mart one of the days to pick out an ornament to go on the family tree. (Although this year, we did the ornament thing in November for some reason. :confused:

My family has a lot of Christmas traditions! My mom keeps a notebook to keep track of them all! :laugh: Our biggest tradition is advent, like what @EpicEnergy said he does at church, but I do it with my family at home. Our church has Christmas themed meetings throughout the month, but no candles. My family also makes a paper chain where we rip one link off each day until the 25th. We have a bunch of other traditions too, but those are our main ones. :squee: