Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E17 - The Summer Sun Setback

Jeric
Message added by Jeric

There will be spoilers here. If you see one at this point it’s on you!

56A6E69F-3600-4A70-BB92-12F6049B2631.jpeg

The Summer Sun Setback  

68 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Hated it!
    • Not a fan
    • It was okay
    • Like it
    • Loved it <3

This episode is fantastic. There is so much to love about it and I could just go on how important of an episode it really is. Twilight is composed and more confident about the transition into becoming the ruler of Equestria. The rest of the Mane 6 gave it their all to prepare for the Summer Sun Celebration, and once again even when things fell apart. Humour is spot on, even in moments of strife. The villains worked their way through smartly, hearkening back to what they learned in Frenemies. 

It's up there with Sparkle's Seven and Frenemies for me. Definitely one of my favourites of this season, and possibly the series.

• Brohoof 8

It's an important episode for sure, though I would only call it good, not great. One thing I noticed is that this episode has a lot of callbacks to previous episodes in the season: Sparkle's Seven, Frenemies, Between Dark and Dawn, and A Trivial Pursuit. Main issue I have with the episode is just the whole character growth thing was forced too hard, they should have done it gradually rather than just suddenly have Twilight get over it here and the lampshading is excessive, but that's how the show works. The odd thing is that back in the earlier seasons there actually was signs that she was gradually getting over it (breathing techniques), but apparently they forgot about all of that and just decided Twilighting was too fun. Still, Twilight keeping her cool in a very freakout worthy situation is an important moment now that they had it, for the first time Twilight actually feels ready to rule. I do like how they used it to shift the bad decision making to the mane 5 and have them learn their lesson, poor Applejack was already right like usual but no one listens to here. The other thing is just that the actual events on the mane 6 side weren't particularly interesting, it just felt like take two at the sideplot in Between Dark and Dawn. My main source of entertainment was following the villain trio, always good to see them again. Nice to see that they've continued operating as a functional unit, and seem to still like each other. 

• Brohoof 2

Sadly, I think the only thing I didn't like about this episode is the thing that'll likely be followed up on. I thought the "Chrysalis convincing the unicorns that they're too good for this" thing felt a bit contrived and I didn't buy that they'd be swayed that easily.

Other than that though. Great episode. I got a little bit emotional at the end actually. Something about Twilight's speech, her naming a new holiday in the sisters' honour. It made the idea of them going away feel all the more... real. Like, this is actually happening.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

I thought the "Chrysalis convincing the unicorns that they're too good for this" thing felt a bit contrived and I didn't buy that they'd be swayed that easily.

You know there's actually quite a dramatic irony with Chrysalis' whole scene there. Beyond me finding it funny that she essentially almost unionized unicorns, (can't be having none of that in Equestria's ruling system :proud:) this was also what seemed to be the driving motivation for Tempest early in the movie:

Tempest Shadow: All this power wasted on parties when there are far greater uses.

Which just so happens: 

Written by

Meghan McCarthy, Rita Hsiao, and Michael Vogel

Maybe ol' Mike was taking some inspiration from missed opportunities in the past :P

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 5

Tsk, tsk, tsk, meta jokes only work if you're not using them as a shield to cover your oopsies. Anyhow, it was a good episode by FIM standards. Nothing special overall. It's sad that we are only getting these right before the end.

Well this was an interesting episode.  This managed to be both a nice wrap up to Twilight's character arc over the course of the series and an episode that is clearly advancing the overall story of the season.  I didn't expect going into the season to really like the dynamic between Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy Glow, but episodes like this really show that they are a fun trio to watch.  I am interested in seeing what happens next with them and what the cliffhanger at the end of the episode entails.  This episode also did a good job at showing that Twilight really is getting ready to be the next ruler of Equestria.  Overall I thought that this was a good episode.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

I think there should be an episode few episodes before the finale where the Mane 6 find out about Tirek and Cozy's escape from Tartarus but do not know about Chrysalis and certainly don't know about Grogar and his lair. It would save time for the ending and not rush into how quickly they learn about it. This episode is probably one of my most favorite single episodes maybe beating slightly or equal to Frenemies and I like when such plot is fit in 20 mins.

Edited by ImpctR
  • Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Main issue I have with the episode is just the whole character growth thing was forced too hard, they should have done it gradually rather than just suddenly have Twilight get over it here and the lampshading is excessive, but that's how the show works.

Yeah, gonna have to agree with you there, despite what I said in my previous post here. Though, the way they developed Fluttershy's character earlier in the series has made me used to it, at this point. 

• Brohoof 1

Interesting episode. I think the episode was fine but I'm a bit annoyed they didn't notice anything about those three sneaking inside the castle.

4 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Interesting episode. I think the episode was fine but I'm a bit annoyed they didn't notice anything about those three sneaking inside the castle.

They didn't notice that Cadence's magic aura was different in the Season 2 finale either.

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

They didn't notice that Cadence's magic aura was different in the Season 2 finale either.

that is kind of inconsequential though.

• Brohoof 1

Overall I think the episode was already well-received, but I thought that people had forgotten that Celestia already celebrated Summer Sun celebration in her sister's honor. (pause) I thought that Twilight attention hogging to herself when she dismissed SSC and made a speech how for way too long SSC had been a celebration of Nightmare Moon's defeat and blah blah blah.

Edited by R.D.Dash

Honestly cannot think of anything I want less from this show than "Twilight Sparkle learns to stop freaking out so she can be a better ruler of Equestria." Absolutely no interest in that, and I'm kind of angry that they went in this direction. Writing Twilight's "freak outs" as something she needs to get over is the exact opposite of what made me like this show in the first place, and it reminds me of how some writers seem to have decided that Fluttershy should be an extrovert now. The way Twilight acts here, combined with the fact that she's barely in this episode, gave me distressing flashbacks to season 4. Apparently she can be only one thing or the other, because nobody writing this show can conceive of her as a three-dimensional person. At least with Fluttershy, seeing her act assertively is funny because it's ironic, but you can't make calmness funny. And if Twilight being Celestia and Luna's successor is only something she needs to be "ready" for, then I will never be satisfied with it. A reminder of how much Celestia and Luna mean to her does not make this story arc even remotely personal. This role means nothing to Twilight, she never asked for it, and she doesn't seem to like that it's been thrust upon her. But I'm supposed to care because she's "come so far"? This isn't a reward, it's an obligation. At least recognize that and let her react to it in a way that makes sense and is emotionally satisfying. 

Why do the mane six not just tell her what's up right away? They don't even try to hide it, and it's obvious that she'll find out eventually. The show could have done anything with this storyline instead of this predictable nonsense, and it makes Twilight's relationship with her friends seem weak. Do they see her as a friend who they trust, or as someone they have to be careful not to upset? It's not like they're any less stressed out than Twilight would be had they just told her. Plus, I don't think the stuff around Twilight meshes well with the stuff around the villains at all. These two storylines distract from each other, and it seems like the mane six have bigger things to worry about than Twilight's mood. Plus, putting these stories next to each other exposes how hollow they both are. The show clearly expects us to take all of this somewhat seriously, but it doesn't have a single fresh idea to offer. You don't have to do the most generic things possible just because you're a kids' show.  

I also do not want to take these villains so seriously. I liked them when they were bumbling, and I liked them when they were learning about teamwork, but here they're just treated like the annual obligatory villains. Their previous episode was fun because it focused on them as people, and because it was just so goofy. Here, they seem to be taking the place that Grogar should occupy until he inevitably catches on and stops them. Their interactions are way too plot-driven. 

And I do not need the show to remind me of that trivia episode, thank you very much; it's bad enough that it was approved in the first place. If the show is going to have that much continuity, then it needs better quality control. 

But some of the incidental characters were fun, I liked little moments like Rarity rambling about fashion trends, Discord was funny and ironically seemed like a voice of reason to me, and the goose was amazing even though they didn't do nearly enough with it. If you care about anything going on here, then it's executed well enough. But I really wish the show hadn't gone in a direction where it can only end with the main character literally becoming the ruler of an entire country and fixing all of her character flaws in the process. To me that feels like a betrayal of what drew me into the show to begin with. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

I had heard good things about this episode and I can gladly say that they all boaded true towards my experience. I was a fan of the overall premise of the episode - where we could see through the eyes of both the villains and the Mane Six as they work to their goal. I feel that all the characters were played out well - which was tricky to do considering how much time is available in an episode and the sheer amount of characters involved. As for critisism, Twilight no longer freaking out anymore, happened a bit too fast. Don't get me wrong, this development in her nature has many benefits, though I feel that the change was too sudden and that there was very little build up to it. Aside from that,  I really enjoyed this.

• Brohoof 2

Watching the episode, I gotta respect Twilight wanting to make the final Summer Sun Celebration under Celestia and Luna the best she could make it, along with renaming it as the Festival of the Two Sisters to still celebrate them after they step down from the throne at the end of the series and name her the new sovereign.

As for the villains, I got to give them credit for being able to disrupt the ceremony preparations long enough to sneak past Shining Armor's defenses and grab what they needed to gain better understanding of Grogar's Bewitching Bell so they can use it against him when the time comes while he looks for a new source to use himself against the Mane Six and all their friends.

The Mane Six did a good job wanting to avoid sending Twilight into one of her panic attacks if they told her about the sabotage by the villains, and I gotta respect Twilight getting the help of Celestia, Luna, and Discord to help repair the damage and get the ceremony back on track, and getting better control of her panic attacks as well, knowing they won't solve anything, especially after she takes over from the Royal Sisters.

Great episode, so I'll give it a 9, possibly a 9.5/10 as my score.

This ep airs right after Trivial Pursuit is a poor decision which is very unfortunate. They overused her freakout mode a lot after the movie then sudden turn off her Twilighting right after her biggest freak out moment since Lesson Zero, then move her back to her S4 character. I have no problem with developed characters still have flaws in them, that what make them interesting in the first place but you cant just go overboard with their flaws then just switch...

So Twilighting will be gone from now on? Bad or good thing? :o

• Brohoof 1

• This topic was unfeatured and unpinned

Overall, I would say that this episode is more-or-less okay; I still question some things (as I'll go through in more detail below), but most of those things are at least more on par with a standard episode. My biggest issue is probably that I found the repeated attempts to lampshade Twilight's previous neurosis and freakouts to be tiresome, and I don't buy into the idea that her sudden and off-screen progress on that represents real character growth and evidence that she's ready to lead Equestria. But setting that aside, I hadn't necessarily expected to see the villainous three again before the end-of-season two-parter, so it's interesting to see them working together and see a bit more of what they're up to. I also hadn't necessarily expected the Casterlot Castle defenses from "Sparkle's Seven" to be retained, but they're still there, and they actually served to slow down the villainous three, although the three of them managed to get through in the end anyway. And there are a few other entertaining moments, such as Rainbow's hoping in vain not to be assigned more work, or Luna's comment that getting Discord not to do anything Discord-y "truly is amazing".

-----

I'll start off by getting probably my biggest issue with the episode out of the way - namely, Twilight's revelation that she's "made a lot of progress" on her freaking out and on her abilities to delegate and trust others. All of this supposed progress occurred off-screen, is never described or explained, and seems to be presented as something that the other characters, and us in the audience, should just believe. And on top of that, the episode portrays this improvement as real character growth, and as proof that Twilight really is ready to lead Equestria. Sorry, but I don't buy it. This seems to have been the strategy in multiple episodes of the show recently: overexaggerate and/or create new character flaws, so that the characters can then "overcome" those flaws and, in the process, prove that they've matured and are ready to lead or whatever. But as I see it, the characters' "overcoming" these contrived character flaws essentially means just returning to how they were characterized in earlier seasons of the show. So if Twilight's freakouts have been toned down, then in that respect, Twilight has "progressed" to...about where she was circa seasons 3-4. Consequently, I don't see that as evidence that Twilight and the Mane Six/Seven are ready to lead Equestria.

-----

Now I have a few things related to what the villainous three did in the episode. 

First, we twice see the villainous three plainly and openly discuss their treacherous plans mere seconds after Grogar leaves. Grogar may not even be out of earshot when Cozy Glow eagerly declares that he's gone. The villainous three should at least give Grogar a few minutes to make sure he's really far enough away not to see/hear anything, and to be sure that he doesn't forget something and come back. And more importantly, if I were them, I wouldn't be sure that they aren't being surveilled (via magic or other means) while inside Grogar's lair.

Next, I guess we're not supposed to expect that Feather Flatterfly - the pegasus in charge of the weather - would know that Cozy Glow is a criminal who's supposed to be in Tartarus, or that he would recognize her on sight. Even setting that aside, though, does he have any hesitation or questions about a kid who's a total stranger approaching him and offering to take over his responsibilities? Why isn't his response to Cozy Glow along the lines of "What are you talking about? How old are you? Why are you doing this? Where are your parents?"? And later, when the weather's going crazy, he says that he doesn't know how this happened, and worries that he's going to be fired for sure. Might this have happened because he apparently entrusted (at least some of) his responsibilities to a random kid? I would say that that was a pretty bad judgement call.

Also, evidently all it took was a few lines from Chrysalis to convince the Flaming Sky Firework Troupe to rethink their job, consider it to be beneath them as unicorns, and quit, because they're "better than that". Why are they even taking this brief conversation with a random stranger this seriously? But later, a little talk from Twilight and Rarity is apparently all it takes to re-convince them that their pyrotechnics job actually is worthwhile after all. They didn't seem to need much to be convinced either way. The end of the episode suggests that it'll be easy for the villainous three to turn earth ponies, pegasi, and unicorns against each other. But will the other residents of Equestria really be as easily swayed as the Flaming Sky Firework Troupe was in this episode? I hope not, but I guess we'll just have to see.

-----

Now here are a couple of other things about what the Mane Seven did, and about the Summer Sun Celebration. 

I'm not sure what to think about whether the rest of the Mane Seven are justified or have good reason to try to hide the issues with the Summer Sun Celebration from Twilight. But what I find a little hard to believe is that Twilight doesn't find out about any of the issues with the Celebration for a significant period of time. Does Twilight not see the storms outside through the windows, or see or hear the rain and thunder and lightning that just popped up? And also, wasn't Twilight going to practice using the amulet to raise the sun and moon with Celestia and Luna? Does that not involve going outside and practicing with the actual sun and moon, and consequently seeing the crazy weather and screaming and panicking ponies? We even see the three of them walking around the grounds later, but it's only after they run into Discord that they finally notice that something's up.

Next, I found Celestia's reasoning for not having a need for the Summer Sun Celebration any more a bit strange. Why would Celestia's and Luna's retirement mean that the defeat of Nightmare Moon, or the return and reunion of Princess Luna, are no longer meaningful events to celebrate? Aren't those important historical events that still have an impact to the present day, regardless of whether Celestia and Luna are currently in power? It feels like saying that the 4th of July shouldn't be celebrated because the colonists who declared independence from Great Britain aren't alive any more. It can still be considered an impactful historical event worthy of celebration.

Moreover, near the end of the episode, Twilight announces that the holiday on this day will no longer commemorate the battle at which Celestia defeated Nightmare Moon, nor will it commemorate Celestia's and Luna's happy reunion. Instead, the newly-declared Festival of the Two Sisters will...celebrate how much Celestia and Luna mean to all of us. Was that not already a major motivation for and part of the Summer Sun Celebration? I guess I'm not really seeing how the new Festival of the Two Sisters is meaningfully different from the Summer Sun Celebration. And as a consequence, that sort of limits whatever emotional impact that scene would have on me.

-----

Finally, here are a few other miscellaneous observations:

I guess it's ironic that Chrysalis initially likes the sound of her triumphant return to Canterlot, but that "triumphant" return ended up being a mission sneaking around trying not to be detected.

How many Summer Sun Celebrations have there been celebrating the reunion of Celestia and Luna, besides the one in Season 4?

Nobody says anything about Pinkie or Applejack needing to taste-test food; Applejack only says that her and Pinkie's job is "giving Braeburn and the Appleloosan ponies some adjustments to the menu". So I don't see any excuse for why Pinkie declares herself an "official food-taster" and eats at least half a wagon's worth of pies and other baked goods. Seriously, how many ingredients and hours of work went into making those things for the festival, just for Pinkie to stuff her face with them in a matter of a minute or so?

Why was Chrysalis behind the stage in her untransformed state before transforming into a unicorn? I don't see any particular benefit to her to wait to transform, and with all the ponies running around preparing for the Celebration, wouldn't Chrysalis be running the risk of being seen?

The chains around the book on Grogar's bell are so brittle that they fall apart with one smack of a book from Cozy Glow. What kind of weak material were those chains made from? And if the book is "dangerous" enough to be chained up, why wouldn't it just be put in a more secure place, accessible by request only? It's not like anyone can read the book when it's chained up, anyway.

On 8/25/2019 at 12:25 AM, Truffles said:

Also of note is we get to see a nice wide view of all the stained glass memorials to the Mane 7's deeds:

So, going from left-to-right we see:

1. The Mane 6 harnessing the Elements for the first time.
  2. The Mane 6 defeating Discord.
  3. Celestia and Luna defeating Discord the first time.
  4. The Mane 6 defeating Nightmare Moon.
  5. Spike returning the Crystal Heart.

Not depicted here (but seen in the movie) is Twilight's coronation to princess.

When the stained glass idea was first introduced at the start of S2, Discord's rule over Equestria was depicted in several more of the windows. But it seems the Mane 6 and Spike's accomplishments have retired those panes.

That's an interesting observation. I'll admit that I haven't kept close track of when the stained glass windows have been depicted, and how consistent they've been. Looking back, these 5 stained glass windows were seen in the same order back in "A Royal Problem", but some of these windows were seen on opposite sides of the hall back in "Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 1", and even further back in "The Return Of Harmony - Part 1" (although the positioning of the stained glass windows isn't even consistent within that same episode). If we see at least 5 stained glass windows on one side of the hall, and we've seen stained glass windows on both sides of the hall before, then we might think that there could be 4 or 5 stained glass windows on the opposite side of the ones seen here. At least one of those ought to be the one depicting Twilight's ascension to alicorn; maybe at least some of the other stained glass windows depicting Discord, as seen in "The Return Of Harmony", might be there.

• Brohoof 1

Errr what? Looks at previous episode and Twilight's freak out then at this one and back again . . . ooookkkk . . . .

1) Well first off the whiplash from the last few episodes with Dash only caring about herself, Pinkie being wacky, Fluttershy panicky and Twilight freaking out to this is considerable.

2) Still very much dislike Celestia and Luna stepping down in favour of Twilight when she's still young. Either (a) she's immortal and still has a lot to learn (like dealing with the death of friends and loved ones) or (b) she's not immortal and in a however long ponies live there'll be no princess.

3) Cutie marks being a purpose in life seems to be getting chucked out the window here. Celestia and Luna passing on stewardship of the sun/moon which is OBVIOUSLY their power to Twilight or the unicorns suddenly not wanting to do the fireworks display that is apparently their purpose in life for years on the words of one random pony.

4) Really no one noticed the magic draining, the symptoms of Tireks attacks when they've experienced them before or Cozy Glow?

5) As part of this no one noticed the guard who did SEE all 3 villains? The trained soldier just lay there and did nothing after seeing THREE of what have to be Equestria's most wanted, two of which are supposed to be in Tartarus whereas the cowstallion was able to drag himself all the way into the castle to warn about an illness?

6) Increased security involves fans on all the rooftops, what for?

7) Convenient that the bell book was chained up in such an obvious way with no guards on/in the restricted section whereas when Twilight visited the normal section it was full of them, the key book being used to break the chains did get a partial laugh out of me.

8) Summer sun celebration seems to have changed massively from season 1 when it was an all night party followed by the sun being raised and everyone going to bed now it seems like the night is preparation and the celebration takes place the next day. Then of course we have Celestia and Luna trying to end it and Twilight just altering a thousand year old celebration these ponies grew up with. Not a fan, if you are planning to retire leave the holiday alone. Also why did Cozy Glow consider it a silly festival when she seems to share the normal pony enjoyment of these things i.e. "road trip"?

9) Seems contrived that with the magic drain/restoration, the mysterious filly mucking up the weather, the mysterious securtiy guard failing to get into the castle (why not just assume one of the mane 6 forms as they don't seem to have those talismans), the fact a security guard SAW all 3 of them and yet somehow no one realizes that 3 major villains broke into the castle for something . . .

10) I see Windigoes in Equestria's future, wonder if ponies are starting to forget the meaning of Heartswarming viewing it as just a "commerical holiday where you get presents"?

No not a fan although part of that is due to several seaosn 9 plots that I dislike being in this episode but that aside there's a lot here I dislike. I would like to see Josh Scorchers reaction to those castle guards though.

Edited by Senko
  • Brohoof 1

520651841_HolyFlamingWaifusBatman!.jpg.672d975cdd41f2aa9d5231a012fd20a6.jpg

:love:

What's poning, ponles?

Soooo.... widdle Miss Purple sure was perfect today, wasn't she?  I guess she has to be in order to be little Miss Queen of the World.  "Look, audience: I really have changed!  Look how perfect I suddenly am!  I'm totally ready for the finale!"  :dry:

There are no words to describe how much I hate this Twilight-rules-Equestria thing, mostly because of how they went about it.  The Sisters just ordered Twilight to do it; they never asked.  And Twilight just obeyed, and it never occurred to her that she has has a right to say no.  I also hate that she just has to walk away from being headmare of the school (which I thought was the perfect endgame fit for her), and leave it to Starlight (who was perfect in the guidance counselor role).  I might have loved the Twilight-rules-Equestria ending, had they gone about it differently.  (I'll tell you what I would have done after the finale airs.  ;))

That said, what's done is done, and there's no turning back from this arc now.  It is what it is, and being that, this was actually a pretty decent episode.  I enjoyed it, despite being perma-soured about this whole development.  I can't argue with a single one of those flaws that @Senko pointed out above, but I still think the episode was fairly well done, and I was happy to see nopony acting like an idiot.  I'd rather have them be a little too perfect than act like idiots.

And hats off to AJ for putting her hoof down and yelling that nopony ever listens to her!  For some reason, I really liked that.  Not really sure why.  It's not like she's traditionally been a doormat like Fluttershy or anything.  She doesn't have problems being assertive.  But I guess she kinda takes a back seat, maybe, and she usually suggests that everypony tell the truth at the beginning of the episode, which everypony promptly ignores in favor of a convoluted scheme.  So, yeah, that's why I liked it.  Way to go, AJ!

The villains have consistently been a pleasure to watch this season, I must say.  There's only one thing I don't get...

They said they was goin' to the restricted section...

1766328343_StarswirlWing.jpg.5b770b14c3d98f318455bd64543f4250.jpg

Only that's not the restricted section...

1846815883_RestricedSection.jpg.a71e61e8923283fce8cd6b08f2df783a.jpg

:huh:

• Brohoof 3

9 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

Soooo.... widdle Miss Purple sure was perfect today, wasn't she?  I guess she has to be in order to be little Miss Queen of the World.  "Look, audience: I really have changed!  Look how perfect I suddenly am!  I'm totally ready for the finale!"  :dry:

There are no words to describe how much I hate this Twilight-rules-Equestria thing, mostly because of how they went about it.  The Sisters just ordered Twilight to do it; they never asked.  And Twilight just obeyed, and it never occurred to her that she has has a right to say no.  I also hate that she just has to walk away from being headmare of the school (which I thought was the perfect endgame fit for her), and leave it to Starlight (who was perfect in the guidance counselor role).  I might have loved the Twilight-rules-Equestria ending, had they gone about it differently.  (I'll tell you what I would have done after the finale airs.  ;))

I mean I guess there's a way this could make sense, but if they still want this to seem 100% good for Twilight, that would need to be a different show entirely. I need some reason to care about this storyline, because it doesn't feel like a natural progression of anything the show had been doing before. But having Twilight change for the sake of becoming ruler - without any indication that she's at all happy to be chosen - is the wrong way to go about it, I think. I do wish they'd just let her remain the headmare of the school, because that just seems right. Not looking forward to the finale. 

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

The villains have consistently been a pleasure to watch this season, I must say.  There's only one thing I don't get...

They said they was goin' to the restricted section...

1766328343_StarswirlWing.jpg.5b770b14c3d98f318455bd64543f4250.jpg

:huh:

Correction that's the restricted section for the Canterlot Library and Cozy did make the distinction:

Cozy Glow: Twilight Sparkle may be the worst, but she does know stuff. She once said the Archives in Canterlot has a restricted area.

And the Archives is where they are as it was originally mentioned in It's About Time:

Twilight Sparkle: [hushed] Focus, guys! The only way to prevent this disaster is to stop time! Time spells are kept in the Star Swirl the Bearded wing, the most secure section of the archives. That's why we're sneaking around!

latest?cb=20120316153339

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, KH7672 said:

Correction that's the restricted section for the Canterlot Library and Cozy did make the distinction:

And the Archives is where they are as it was originally mentioned in It's About Time:

Y'know, I was just on my way here to correct myself, too.  I just finished rewatching Forgotten Friendship, and I noticed that that restricted section was indeed in the public library, a completely different place.  Well, shame on me, but good on the writers for keeping continuity!

• Brohoof 1

On 8/28/2019 at 6:03 PM, Justin_Case001 said:

Wait where was that from? I've forgotten this place which episode.

On 8/28/2019 at 6:03 PM, Justin_Case001 said:

There are no words to describe how much I hate this Twilight-rules-Equestria thing, mostly because of how they went about it.  The Sisters just ordered Twilight to do it; they never asked.  And Twilight just obeyed, and it never occurred to her that she has has a right to say no. 

She's called a ruler like a single ruler in this episode but the understanding since the premiere is that she agrees because she will have her friends to help. I don't see a problem with that or what some other posts claim - that she doing something against her will. It is an obligation she accepted, scared because she is insecure but willing to not disappoint.

Edited by ImpctR