Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you prefer the fandom or canon names?

----------------------

The cannon names are nice, but I think they came in just a little too late within the series in order for them to stick. I appreciate that Harbro made the effort to create names so similar in nature to those thought up by the fan base, but after a whole season, those fannon names are just too well ingrained in my head to change.

I agree. Had they come up with names for the ponies earlier, they would have stuck throughout the series, in my opinion.

Derpy Hooves, Lyra, Carrot Top, Berry Punch.

• Brohoof 1

I think I'm one of the few here who prefer the cannon names. I never really cared too much about the background characters and their names, so I guess that explains why I don't hate the fact that they've been given official names. And for the most part, the official names sound better than the fan names to me.

Heartstrings just sounds good to my ears. Lyra sounds too simple and it's too close to the actual instrument.

Berryshine and Berrypunch both sound good. Berryshine also sounds like it could be an alcoholic drink of some sort and makes it less obvious than Berrypunch, hence why I like it better.

Carrot Top and Golden Harvest are both pretty bad names in my opinion. I don't really like any of them. Golden Harvest is just too long and I don't find it very fitting. Carrot Top just sounds silly.

• Brohoof 1

Marshmallow just said most of my opinion really. I don't care much for the background ponies if I'm honest, so I just prefer the canon names. Also, I typically prefer canon to fan-made things in general. I'm really rather insane about it.

I liked Lyra, but I'll go with Heartstrings because it sounds cool as well.

I had no idea Berryshine even existed until a few days ago, so she is Berryshine now because it is canonical. Both names are equal to me in how much I like them. (Which is, I am neutral about both.)

Personally, I preferred Carrot Top because it made me think of cake. Carrot cake. But Golden Harvest sounds kind of cool. So, also going there.

• Brohoof 1

Marshmallow just said most of my opinion really. I don't care much for the background ponies if I'm honest, so I just prefer the canon names. Also, I typically prefer canon to fan-made things in general. I'm really rather insane about it.

I liked Lyra, but I'll go with Heartstrings because it sounds cool as well.

I had no idea Berryshine even existed until a few days ago, so she is Berryshine now because it is canonical. Both names are equal to me in how much I like them. (Which is, I am neutral about both.)

Personally, I preferred Carrot Top because it made me think of cake. Carrot cake. But Golden Harvest sounds kind of cool. So, also going there.

I guess, but I always liked the fandom names, as said before it's something I got to know the show with and for me to change that... it would never happen :/

• 1 month later...

Fanon name are more catchy, easier to remember, and directly related to their cutie mark (this fandom sucks at naming without looking at the buttPosted Image)

Canon names are more suited as their last names, like Lyra Heartstrings. But Carrot Harvest just sounds silly :/

• Brohoof 1

Fanon name are more catchy, easier to remember, and directly related to their cutie mark (this fandom sucks at naming without looking at the buttPosted Image)

Canon names are more suited as their last names, like Lyra Heartstrings. But Carrot Harvest just sounds silly :/

Whereas Golden Top sounds like something you'd find at the bottom of a cereal box.
  • Brohoof 1

What do you prefer? Personally, I like the fanon names better.

Merged your topic with an existing one. Please use the search function when creating a new thread to avoid posting duplicate topics.

What about Derpy Hooves Vs Ditzy Doo?

Derpy hooves. There is already a do. If you recall the read it and weep episode. Daring do. I dont care if its just a storybook character. Derpy hooves should stay as derpy hooves. Thats the only name in my heart for her. Edited by ScarletDagger

What canon names? There's no poll!

Ok, I infere berryshine for berry punch and Lyra Heartstrings for Lyra, but what about carrot top? what's her cannon name?

And about the previously mentioned. Berrshine is ok, and I always though that the fanon full name for Lyra was Lyra Hearstrings. Wasn't there some debate about her before?

Merged your topic with an existing one. Please use the search function when creating a new thread to avoid posting duplicate topics.

Used it. Searched for fanon. Then searched for Canon. Then searched for Fanon vs. Canon. Nothing relevant came up so I made this thread.

Used it. Searched for fanon. Then searched for Canon. Then searched for Fanon vs. Canon. Nothing relevant came up so I made this thread.

No worries, that happens sometimes. ;)

I actually found it by searching for "Lyra Heartstrings Golden Harvest"