Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

I just started reading First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen, it's a recently released sequel to one of my favourite books (Garden Spells) :)

How many Ponies in the forums read on a regular basis or at all? What do you read?

I'm currently reading Undeniable by Bill Nye. I am also running through the Narnia chronicles as well as Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Other than that I enjoy Manga, war memoirs, WWII and World History, fantasy and science/physics books. :icwudt:  

post-24622-0-17026600-1422369505_thumb.jpg

@RainbowGlass I have merged your thread with the existing thread pertaining to "Books you are currently reading", in the future remember to double check to make sure there is not already a topic for the subject you wish to discuss.

• Brohoof 1

I love to read and it pains me to say that I'm not currently reading anything, but I hope to check The Book Thief out of the library as soon as possible. I've heard it's really great and can't wait to get started!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like reading The Walking Dead comics, and mostly graphic novels. If anytime I pick up a chapter book I normally just lose my interest in it after 5 chapters. The book I'm reading right now that you could call a 'Chapter' book is the Learn The Japanese alphabet and write in Japanese! book.

I am about half way through "The Fabulous Riverboat" by Philip Jose Farmer. It's the second installment of his Riverworld saga. The first novel (I finished last week) was "To Your Scattered Bodies Go". In "To Your Scattered" Every human that has ever lived and died is suddenly resurrected on the banks of a river. Actually, that should be River, with a capital "R". The Riverworld consists of only the river valley. The river itself is 20 MILLION miles long. It zig-zags it's way all over the planet. All of humanity awoke completely hairless and naked, at a chronological age of 25. If you die on Riverworld, you are resurrected again the next day at a random point on the riverbank, possibly thousands of miles from where you died. Some have taken to "The Suicide Express" as a way to escape tormentors, and a way to randomly wander the planet.

The first book deals with Sir Richard Burton the explorer vowing to discover the secret s behind the mass resurrection of humanity. This also includes proto-humans like Neanderthals. The second book tells of Samuel Clemens searching for a source of iron on the resource poor planet,  so he can build a riverboat powerful enough to take him to the source of the river, where answers may lay in wait in the mythic Grail Tower.

I love how the books are populated by actual historic figures. Check the spoiler for a few tidbits of interest.

Sam Clemens is forced by circumstance to become partners and co-leader with King John of England. John Lackland is NOT a man to be trusted. Richard Burton falls in love with Alice Liddell. As a child, Alice was the girl who inspired "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" when she asked Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) to tell her a story during a boating trip. Poor Sam Clemens finally finds his beloved wife, only to find out she has been living with and in love with Cyrano de Bergerac for the twenty years since she met him on the day of Resurrection! One of the surprising characters is Hermann Goering! Hermann Goering finds religion on The Riverworld and becomes a strict pacifist and man of peace!

• Brohoof 1

Nonfiction:  Just finished reading Dirty Wars by Jeremy Scahill.  The book exposes the U.S. government's true motivations for going to war in Iraq, as well as our continuous use of drone strikes, which not only kill terrorists, but innocent civilians.  A lengthy book, but one which every person of voting age (and perhaps younger) should read.

Fiction: Well Fed, a zombie novel by Keith Blackmore.  It's the fourth in his series.  He may not be the best zombie writer out there, but he's far better than most. 

I'm halfway through "The Host" By Stephenie Meyer it's really interesting.

I didn't read the book, but I really dug the movie. 

I'm actually currently reading "Carrie" by Stephen King and it's actually really good as far as I've gotten ^-^

Or, at least I like it. img-1977368-1-img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

I used to love reading Stephen King.  Haven't read anything of his in awhile.  Have you seen the Carrie movies?  I thought both were great.

I love reading, but I don't do enough if it.  There's just never any time for it.  I have piles and piles of books to read.  I keep buying more and not reading what I have.  But the great thing about books is that they don't turn obsolete or stop working.  I can keep them forever.  Doesn't matter how long it takes me to get around to reading them.  I currently have the Belgariad series, and the Black Company series waiting for me.  But first I'm a few chapters into Daemon by....by all means.  Um...who wrote that....uh, it started it a D, I think, and I wanna say it was a Spanish name.  Anyway, I hope to get around to finishing that this summer.

Stuff I've read since the last time I ccommented on here:

The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. Very cool stuff on storytelling, modern and myth.

The Oathbound by Mercedes Lackey (one of her better works)

Wizards (short story colllection, various authors) Very good stories, highly recommend it (though I advise getting it used, since they included Mr. Orson Scott Card)

Memories of Ice, House of Chains, Midnight Tides, all from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.

Probably the best fantasy worldbuilding this side of Tolkien. Beware though; all of these are around 1000 pages and dense as all hell.

Currently reading: Gods of Mars by Graham MacNeil, third in his Mechanicum Series. Very promising so far.