Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What's your favorite movie? How about least favorite?

Hollow Wind

Least Favorites Films I Hated:

The Marine-The first outing by WWE films featuring their top guy John Cena & Robert Patrick from Terminator 2. Story about an ex marine trying to save his wife from diamond thieves. The first 40 min are ok and action packed, but the film meanders awkwardly after that. Cena has little dialogue for the rest of the film, the focus appears to be more on antagonist Patrick and his crew, and the film is littered w/ random encounters, nonsensical twists and a bland ending. Like most WWE shows. 

Osmosis Jones- Most of you probably saw this when you were little, but even as a kid I gagged and almost threw up at the gross humor of this film. Decent moral. Scumbag dad played by Bill Murray learns to change in order stay with his daughter, while the bone headed mistakes that got him sick are corrected by the animated white blood cell street cop, Ozzy, voiced by Chris Rock. Can't believe this movie got it's own spin off cartoon. 

Sucker Punch- I was excited for this film years back. I thought it was gonna be a story about a girl who travels from her reality in an asylum to a steam punk dreamscape to fight menaces and horrors. Instead, I got the tragic story envisioned in a burlesque style dream vision about a group of girls who gather tools to escape, their attempts depicted as those same steampunk anime fantasy battles though hypnotising security staff via errotic dance & music. But then *spoilers* the girls die one by one and the lead heroine sacrifices herself, getting lobotomized so that the least likable girl of her group can escape. Not at all what I was expecting and a rather depressing film overall.

Godzilla- Copy and paste the first 6 words from the above synopsis. This film should have been epic. And according to the trailers, that's what it was going to be. I expected Godzilla wreaking mass devastation upon the world in a modern reimagining of the 1954 classic. What I got was some weak story about a marine trying to get back to his wife and kid who shouldn't have been in harms way in the first place, with Godzilla used as a backdrop. We cant really care about the characters. Lead marine played by the actor from Kick Ass is boring, stoic and unemotional. Why should we care about a guy with the charisma of cardboard? His wife is the generic blonde with the random kid. Ken Watanabe hardly has any lines and just stares at stuff. His character, Dr. Serizawa, had a major role in the original film, and now is reduced to tertiary character status. Bryan Cranston's acting was top notch in this, you felt for him and believed him... for the 20 minutes he was on screen before he was nonchalantly killed off. To top it all off we hardly see godzilla. 20 minutes of a two hour film, and most of it is done through smoke, darkness, or shaky cam footage. Also, they did a major no no in monster films: You don't skip the fight scene! The moment Godzilla makes his appearance and does his awesome roar, you knew s##t was gonna get real, and when he charged at the M.u.t.o.h., we were expecting a brawl to rival Pacific Rim... and we cut away to a kid playing with toy dinosaurs. Who wants to see that? Godzilla '98 was a better film than this. 

Transformers 2- Not enough giant robots fighting. Face palm worthy autobot characters. You couldn't tell which decepticon was which. We don't give a damn about Shia LaBeouf, his family, his college or Megan Fox's character. Plus the villain was weak and not canon to the original series and the last 30 minutes are basically a series of glorified cutscenes for the US military. In reflection, the whole series was way too nationalistic. Too many american flags, too much capitalist product placement, too much america is here to kick ass. And like america, the film is now being marketed to the Chinese.  It's giant robots fighting each other. How could you screw that up? 

Team America- This film was made by the same guys who did south park. I do not like south park, the characters or the humor portrayed in it. I didn't even want to see this film but my parents dragged me there anyways and they regretted it.  There was stuff in there they wished I didn't see. 

Most Favorites:

Kung Foo Hustle

This film is just too funny, and action packed. When the poster said it was a Roadrunner cartoon brought to life, they weren't too far off. Tons of awesome fight scenes and a bunch of violent slapstick that all ties together. 

Fight Club 
 Not too surprising. Most people who have seen this will get why I like it. Saw it on Spike TV during the 10 year reunion special and it was nothing like I expected.

The Crow 
 The 90's film that thrust the anti-hero into the spotlight. Dark, Gritty, Gothic. This film is stylized to the core and I love it that way. Forget CGI, create an elaborate nightmare city scape, and film in the darkest goth-punk themed places you can find. And best of all, create a vengeful character we can resonate with and cheer for as he goes on an innovative kill spree.
The Crow 3: Salvation  As far as sequels go, this is pretty good, almost on par with the original. This film was made to be shown in theaters. Sad it got the direct to video treatment instead. In this, a black magic crow resurrect a wrongly executed prisoner in order to hunt down the man who framed him for his girlfriend's murder.

Now You See Me 

The premise about musicians robbing banks and getting popular for it is interesting enough, but then showing how it was done, what they were really after, and showing most of the film from the antagonists p.o.v. made you cheer for them more and wonder what they're gonna do next. I should see if this is on Netflix.

Homeward Bound 
A childhood favorite of mine. 2 dogs and a cat wonder the california mountains in search of their family. Very heartwarming, genuinely funny when it needs to be, and it harkens back to the days of just seeing voiced over animals act out on screen, rather than the CGI add ons we see today. 

My magical dog

Been a long while since I've last seen this. Toby, his dad, and their dog Lucky move to a new home after their mother's death. But the kids evil aunt wants to have sole custody so she can have access to the estate, so she hires 2 teenage thugs to steal the dads paperwork showing legal custody. During the theft, Lucky chases the two, but gets killed by a truck. But late in the night, Lucky's ghost returns to Toby, and helps him and his new (girl)friend find the missing documents as well has set up Toby's dad with a new love. Not sure how it would fare now, but I loved this film as a kid. Cheesy, low budget, but still fun.

Fluke

Apparently I have a thing for talking animal films. On paper this looks like another talking dog family film, but in reality it's far more serious in tone. A man gets killed in a car crash and is reincarnated as a golden retriever puppy, and the film focuses on the people and dogs he meets through his new life, and as his past life returns to him, he begins to travel the country in search of his wife and kid... and the man that killed him. Not often you see a concept like a talking dog given such a dramatic story. Very emotional film, one of the few that almost made me cry.

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

My favorite movie is the 2009 movie The Incredible Hulk.

It's really hard to make a Hulk movie because you can either have too much Hulk, leading to no story whatsoever, or you can have too much story, leading to very little Hulk.

I feel that they really balanced out the Hulk scenes while also having a good story in the movie. And I think Edward Norton totally rocked at being Bruce Banner. He was just so convincing. I could see him being a scientist hiding inner rage that, when unleashed, will demolish the city.

• 1 month later...

Hm, as far as favorites go, I'm a Film Studies scholar, so my response differs based on who is asking.  A few of these are:

Classic answer: Harold and Maude

Typical Film Studies answer: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Black Swan

More "Pretentious" Film Studies answer: Mulholland Drive

Obscure/"Hipster" answer: Rid of Me or Frances Ha

Nostalgic answer: What about Bob?

Non-pretentious/Real answer: Mean Girls or Bridesmaids

Some others I am fond of are The Hangover, Elf, The Social Network, Friday Night Lights, Carrie, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Finding Nemo, The Way, Way Back, Sunset Blvd., and Frozen

Least fave? Hm...

Le Miserables was one of the only movies I have ever walked out of and Twilight was pretty shittacular (watched it for a paper I was writing on Kristen Stewart). I think the worst movie I've ever seen, however, is The Narrows, which is basically a made-for-TV rip off of the Godfather staring that cloying as hell actress from One Tree Hill (so much shudder...), although I think it might have actually been in theaters at one point...somehow...

Worst TV show is easier. Lol. I absolutely despise Lost. 

Edited by Carolina

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite movie is without a doubt the Lion King. Nostalgia rules in that regard.

As for worst...I have an unholy trinity that I absolutely despise. I'll mention them in the order I saw them in:

- Chicago. I hated literally everyone in this movie and wished they'd die in a prison fire, but alas.

- Wanderlust. The dialogue hurt to listen to and everything was so unbelievably forced it was just embarrassing.

- Movie 43. I just...what were they thinking when they made this? Everything in it is wrong, and jokes that could get maybe a chuckle out of me are drawn out so long it becomes incredibly annoying. Some skits just will not end. Then we have the framing device, which should just be forgotten altogether. This one is, without a doubt, the worst movie in the entire history of film.

Worst

10. Romeo and Juliet 1996 - So you make it modern day but keep in old fashioned language, and get a rubbish actor to play Romeo (he's a good actor now, but back then, he sucked). 

9. Empire of the Sun - I don't get why people like this movie. It portrayed Japanese prison camps in a way which is almost offensive to the people who were in those camps. Plus, the story sucked.

8. The Matrix Reloaded - The most confusing and ahead of itself movie I've ever seen in my life.

7. Lincoln: Unbelievably dull, I almost walked out. 

6. Transformers - Absolute trash, but then again, I wouldn't expect anything better from Michael Bay.

5. Guardians of The Galaxy - Promised me serious at start but ended up goofy beyond belief.

4. Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace - Completely spits on one of my favorite movie franchises.

3. Batman and Robin Completely spits on my favorite comic book superhero.

2. Nativity 3 - Awful beyond thought and speech. 

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - I'm lost for words. 

Bear in mind these are the worst movies I'VE SEEN, and I try to only watch good movies.

And if you like any of these films, I won't judge you, this is just my opinion. The 10 - 5 and 1 I think a lot of people like, so I might not be very popular.

As for favorite movies, I can't list them as there in any particular order, but here they are.

Best

- Citizen Kane

- One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

- Lawrence of Arabia

- The Hunchback of Notre Dame

- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

- Star Wars

- Shindler's List (I think it's an amazing film, not that I enjoyed the content.)

- 12 Years a Slave (Same with previous)

- Unforgiven

- Terminator 2

- Saving Private Ryan

Edited by Arctofire

One of my least favorite movies is The Last Airbender. True, I've never watched it, but that just shows how horrible it is because I'm usually willing to sit through a lot of garbage. Case in point: I watched Birth of a Nation all the way through. What a boring, racist grind that was. That's my other least favorite movie. My third least favorite movie is Citizen Kane. So much hype for a boring movie with a disappointing reveal. Orson Welles can take his symbolism and shove it.

My favorite is between guardians of the galaxy and top secret, and least favorite is definitely closed for the season, no other movie has ever made me need a break before continuing to watch it. And by "continuing to watch" i mean leaving it on in the background as i play games

My favorite movie is Mean Girls. I'm such trash.

Followed by Guardians of the Galaxy and 21 Jump Street probably

I don't have a least favorite movie though, lol.

• Brohoof 1

Hot Fuzz is my favourite film of all time. It's amazingly well made and doesn't get old no matter how many times you watch it.

However, on the other end of the spectrum, there's Mars Needs Moms. I was forced to watch it, even after seeing the poor reception. I can safely say that it was the worst film I have ever seen. Mars Needs Moms... More like, Disney Needs Ideas!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have an exact favourite movie :/

my least favourite movie?  the last airbender.... never..... speak of this movie... again...

Favorites:

Once Upon A Time In the West

Alien

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Blade Runner

For A Few Dollars More

Zulu

Rear Window

Psycho

The Trouble With Harry

My favorite movie would have to be Zulu, 1964. Features Michael Caine, one of my favorite actors, and depicts the last stand of a group of British soldiers at Rorke's Drift in the Anglo-Zulu war.

rPDOVdv.png

Some of the effects are awful, and the blood is effectively red paint, but a more epic film cannot be found.

My least favorite film? The Robocop remake.

A mockery of a classic film.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Favorite movies: Indiana Jones, Star Wars, James Bond, the Marvel movies, Die Hard, Rambo, The Terminator 1 and 2, Rocky, The Expendables, The Matrix, Pulp Fiction and Lord of the Rings

Least favourite: The last Airbender

• Brohoof 1

Favorites are:

Tangled

Beauty and the Beast

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi  

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Incredibles

Far And Away

Least favorites:

Hateful 8

Cop Out

Junior

Get Carter

Hudson Hawk

Twilight series

• Brohoof 1

Do random disney movies count?

I can't choose just one favorite, it'l either be the lion king or the hunger games...

Frozen is by far the worst movie I have ever seen. It sucked so bad... no offense

My current favorite Movie would be Batman Forever, because of the crazy characters, interesting costumes and effects and cool action.

My least Favorite is Supergirl, the Movie is just sexist and the Story more than stupid. Its basically two female leads, fighting about a man...im just shocked that a Movie like this, comes from the Company, that is responsible for the Wonder Woman Series.

I thought Dc Comics was more the kind, that tried to show, that females can do everything a man can do, but Supergirl just went a few steps back.

Favorite: Finding Nemo (2003) - It's beautifully animated, endlessly quotable, and strikes a perfect balance of humor and heart.

Least Favorite: The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones - A horribly written, terribly acted, and boring YA film that shamelessly steals from other properties like Twilight, Harry Potter, Buffy, X-Men, etc.