books The Book Thread

Octavia2

Those are all great books. Mine are a bit older I'm afraid:

* The Survivalist by Jerry Ahern

*The Horseclans Series by Robert Adams, sadly he passed before finishing the series, and we'll never know alot of things..

*Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein, probably one of the defining books of an age I think.

*Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit  by everyones favorite guy :)

*War Against the Chtorr by David Gerrold, sadly again, this author has never deemed it fit to finish the series...

*Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, such wonderful books, really.

*The Foundation Novels by Isaac Asimov.

*Most of Philip K Dick's Novels, such as Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said/ The Man in the High Castle, really good reads, alot of movies based on his writings. Though he was a bit ...well odd in real life.. :)

*The Bolo Books by Keith Laumer, truly a look at a different intelligence, thinking Tanks.

*Oh! And the Uplift Series by David Brin, another wonderful look at other intelligences.

I really gotta thin the library one day I guess..

Edited by Night Fire
  • Brohoof 3

Stephen King's The Dark Tower is probably my favorite series. Stephen King in general is just the best.

Recently got into the Dresden Files. Great characters in that series.

And, of course, Harry Potter. I was so young when that series started that I can remember my mom reading it to me at bedtime. I kind of grew up with it, which is part of why it's special to me.

• Brohoof 2

29q1lx3.jpg

My favorite book series is definitely Harry Potter! :) I have all the original books, and I have them translated into French as well, since I can read in French. :P I also like The Book Thief a lot, but it's so sad :(

I'd like to read the Lord of the Rings soon, but I haven't gotten around to that yet :/

• Brohoof 3

֍֎֍֎

The Underland Chronicles by a pretty wide mile.

I first read them from 2003 to 2007 and they left a major impression on me.

Has anyone ever heard of it? I strongly recommend that you read it, and encourage middle -school age kids to read it. Encourage your cousins, your nieces abd nephews to read it.

I first read the first book, Gregor the Overlander, back in 2003 and finished the series in 2007. I have reread the series over the years and it is a seemingly simplistic but powerful and heartbreaking series.

Even if you detest The Hunger Games, which is by the same author, Suzanne Collins, trust me that this series is immensely superior and basically nothing like it at all.

It is told in third person limited, and is about a skinny eleven-year-old boy, dorkily named Gregor, living a crappy, very low income life around New York City with his two little sisters, mother and grandmother in a two bedroom apartment after his science teacher father disappeared one day over two years before.

One day he and his two-year-old sister fall down a grate in their apartment's laundry room, where the fall for five minutes straight before stumbling upon a secret civilization of pale skinned people, who ride giant bats like horses and have warlike relations and alliances with six-foot talking rats, four foor cockroaches, giant spiders, and various other furry and scaly and crawly creatures, all of whom talk, and many who talk trash.

The five-book series is actually a quick read, and is a heartbreakingly awesome deconstruction of the "children go on an adventure saving the world/ saving some magical secret world and are back home in time for dinner"- type adventure stories.

Most of the books are about some Greek-Odyssey-type of adventure over the course of a few days, but there is also lots and lots of very real and raw dialogue surrounding it.

I've been gushing about Gregor the Overlander and it's increasingly superior sequels for over ten years. It is a masterwork unlike anything else in it's genre/"demographic" combination in the past decade and then some, that I know of.

You will grow to adore Gregor, Boots, Temp, Ripred, Luxa, Vikus, and probably a few more. Read Gregor the Overlander and then read the whole rest of the series in order:

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane

Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods

Gregor and the Marks of Secret

Gregor and the Code of Claw

• Brohoof 2

The Underland Chronicles by a pretty wide mile. I first read them from 2003 to 2007 and they left a major impression on me.

Those are some of my books!  I wish they make those into Movies and not

the freaking Hunger Games.  Personally I found those books far more fun to

read and get into than a bunch of kids killing the other while others watch

like its a sport....

(Phèdre's Trilogy) by Jacqueline Carey (All Souls Trilogy ) by Deborah Harkness (Outlander books) by Diana Gabaldon
  • Brohoof 1

HAPd9iV.png.6735adea9023e498213c6ac62728b196.png

Those are some of my books!  I wish they make those into Movies and not

the freaking Hunger Games.  Personally I found those books far more fun to

read and get into than a bunch of kids killing the other while others watch

like its a sport....

Indeed, me and my brother are something of Suzanne Collins hipsters. And you seem to see the appeal of TUC also.

The Underland Chronicles is a lot more subtle and nuanced than THG(T) in that it is not literally about some ridiculously obvious evil going on as it's title premise.

I honestly believe that, in terms of longstanding artistic merit as works of literature, the Gregor series that is The Underland Chronicles leaves high-fantasy adventure fare such as Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl so deeply in the dust that they are not even in the same league as TUC, which deserves to be read in classrooms fifty years from now. I have indeed read all three of those series to completion.

• Brohoof 1

Favorite book of Stephen King based on the TV series of the same name UNDER THE DOME  this book is hard to put down it's very long the best in the horror novel in the series ! I suggest you read this book only if like edge of your seat horror by Stephen King enjoy everypony !

• Brohoof 1

Indeed, me and my brother are something of Suzanne Collins hipsters. And you seem to see the appeal of TUC also.

The Underland Chronicles is a lot more subtle and nuanced than THG(T) in that it is not literally about some ridiculously obvious evil going on as it's title premise.

I honestly believe that, in terms of longstanding artistic merit as works of literature, the Gregor series that is The Underland Chronicles leaves high-fantasy adventure fare such as Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl so deeply in the dust that they are not even in the same league as TUC, which deserves to be read in classrooms fifty years from now. I have indeed read all three of those series to completion.

What I love is the depth if anything and deals with themes: War, Bio Chem Warfare, Rights and many other  deep

themes  a lot of books don't tend to use  these days.  Also the use of "hidden society "  under our own is a theme

I have to love and don't see used a enough in YA books.  In also you get a good cast of none human cannons to

full in love with on the side!

• Brohoof 1

HAPd9iV.png.6735adea9023e498213c6ac62728b196.png

• septimus heap
  • lord of the rings
  • the hobbit
  • spiderwick
  • bunnicula a rabbit tale of mystery
  • the edge chronicles
  • some sliver ravenwolf books
  • dragon rider
  • ink heart
  • ink spell
  • ink death
  • tithe
  • the Swiss family Robinson
  • warriors 
  • twilight
  • harry potter
  • beyond the spiderwick chronicles
  • Alice's adventures in wonderland
  • all of the wizard of Oz books. (they had like 14 books and only one was ever made into a film. I'll never understand this)
  •  lemony snicket a series of unfortunate events (all 13 of them, unlike the people who made the movie, they probably read the cliff notes for the first three)
  • the secret life of bee's
  • memoirs of a geisha 
  • the color purple
  • through the looking glass

that's all I can think of.

:wub: I only put the ones with reread value here though. 

except twilight, I doubt that I'll ever reread.

even though I own all of them  >_> waste, shoulda just got them at the library.

Edited by Lucky Star
  • Brohoof 1

*OC Lucky Star*

I very like The Witcher, Diuna, The Trilogy (Three Sienkiewicz's Books), books from series of publications "Warbook", books from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. uvinerse.

Edited by decp
  • Brohoof 1