Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Dumb Things We Believed As Children!

CinemaBrony

Up where I live theres a giant cistern maybe 20-25 feet in diameter and 15-20 deep and when I was a small kid, I used be deathly afraid of the cistern because I thought a giant octopus and a great white shark lived in there and that sometimes they would fight... I've  never asked what it's originally used for, but it's in disrepair now.

Hmmm, dumb stuff......

As a kid, I believed that touchscreens were a lie.

I also believed that computer viruses were "contagious" among computers, so I isolated the rest of the computers when my old computer was infected.

I believed that horses could fly.

I believed that all handwritten notes were all looked at.

I hated mlp.

I actually thought that all bronies were cloppers.

I got some more:

I used to think that checks = money, if you know what I mean.

I used to think that if someone was on TV, they were actually inside the box.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is when I first heard the term rednecks. I always wondered why some people were called rednecks. I then came to the conclusion that their necks must be red/reddish in color. Or that have some red spots on their necks. So every-time I would see someone with a red/reddish neck, or red spots on their necks. I would think to myself, they must be a redneck.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to believe aliens were going to abduct me, and wouldn't sleep in my room, due to searching the internet for conspiracy theories when I was like, 8.

And Santa and the Tooth Fairy. My mum made it really convincing though, the Tooth Fairy even left me letters! tongue.png

But it's more interesting how I stopped believing in Santa. Y'see, when I was little, I was a major geek. And when I was around 9 years old, I decided to read a copy of NewScientist in the supermarket, one fateful December... One of the articles was a December special about how early kids stop believing in Santa. I became just another statistic for that study sad.png

Edited by Vexxy

I met this one kid in 2006 on MapleStory that told me he could train me to control minds and alter reality. This was before I learned what trolling was. I believed him for two years before I went back to find him again and told him how much of a liar he was.

One year AFTER that, I learned he was a Psychologist. In Russia. My face when I found out was priceless.

Otherwise, I used to believe in the whole 'flush an ice cube down the toilet and it will snow tomorrow' spiel. Then again, who HASN'T tried that at least once?

*The boogeyman exists o_o; Just he disappears from a physical form when you look at him.

"I don't want to alarm you, but there might be a boogeyman or boogeymen in the house..."

(Quote from a Simpsons episode which I feel has particular relevance here.)

Another stupid thing I believed as a kid was that ATMs were magic machines that gave you money. Yes, the money was just there to be randomly given to whoever wanted it. XD

• 1 month later...

Heh, my movie theater had a sticker on it that showed a crossed out pirate and said "NO PIRATES ALLOWED!" I seriously thought if I dressed as a pirate they would kick me out. 

• Brohoof 2

Off the top of my head I remember I thought the Sun was actually God at one point. And I thought that when a woman was pregnant they always had to cut open her belly to get the baby out. And I also thought that the baby was in the stomach lol. (And I didn't even know how babies were made or where they came from at the time) Hilarious right?

I was very gullible as a child. These are only a few of the many things I believed:

~One time in kindergarten I believed that if I used a toilet at school that a gremlin would pop out of the toilet and eat me. I ended up holding it in until I shit my pants that day.

~When I was little I was "friends" with this bossy little girl who lived next door to me. She thought it'd be fun to lie to me and say that she was a digidestined and had a digimon when we were ten years old. It didn't last long though cause that's when I just started smartening up.

~Another time she lied about hitting her head and losing her memory when we were eleven

~My sister used to scare me by saying that she was a monster that was going to eat me

~My sister also told me that the "kicker monster" was going to get me if I kept kicking her. (I never intentionally kicked her, we were just chilling on the couch watching Beast Wars and I kept accidentally kicking her by stretching my legs)

~One time my dad actually joined in my sister's antics and pretended he was a monster with her

~I used to think that Jerry Springer was real

~When I was thirteen I used to believe that marijuana was worse than cocaine/meth/etc. I was mislead into believing that it was the worst drug in the world and that thousands of people overdosed on it every day. I did more research on it when I was fourteen and found out I was horribly mislead.

(edited)

I remember seeing this cartoon where this character can enter any show that's currently on his/her TV by walking into the screen or something, I thought I could do the same by dismantling my TV and crawling inside. I thankfully never managed to tear anything off, though.

No wonder these cartoons get these complaints.

Edited by Mars Brown

This one lie from my earliest days I could remember, that eating spinich would give instant super strength (Yes, Popeye), eventually I learned that this was false, and I haven't eaten many vegetables since.

When I was about 8/9 years old, I would fantasise about running away and living with spongebob in bikini bottom. Just my mind and its fantasies, but after a few short days, this was actually what I wanted to do, and what I believed could happen.

Heh, I can be so silly sometimes (all the time). xP

Well, i used to believe that there is a button which turns the sun off and turns the moon on.
and i used to believe that babies come from shops!!!!
I was genius! :P

Some silly things I believed in as a kid were.. 

1, Santa Claus

2. Tooth Fairy

3. Easter Bunny

4. Monsters lived in your closed

5. leprechauns and I though that there was a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. 

6. Too much TV would make your eyes go square

Yeah I was a pretty gullible child :D.   

So... I may have thought that flushing a toilet while the shower was running would cause the urine to be sprayed on the unlucky erm... showerer. I think I also thought that jellyfish were electric, but that's kind of such a large pop-culture thing that I'm not surprised.

• Brohoof 1

When I was young I used to think MLP was rubbish (though it was G3).

Me and my brother changed the lyrics to the theme song to:

"My Little Pony,

My Little Pony,

You'll always be up my arse."

I believed my older sister when she told me that the black, spherical float in the tank of our toilet was a bomb...which, given that it looked like a stereotypical cartoon bomb, it's not hard to see why I was so ready to believe it.

...Not to go too deep into TMI territory, but...let's just say I found some rather creative places to do my business for a few days after being told that.

Oh boy, this topic lol. Reliving these days makes me realize that I was one of the most gullible kids out there.

• Believed in Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.
  • Thought that Superman and Batman were real.
  • Thought that black people had a skin disease (-_- STUPID STUPID STUPID)
  • Believed that the television was a portal to an alternate dimension that we couldn't enter.
  • Thought that clouds were made out of cotton candy
  • Thought that wetting the bed was the cause of my teddy bears (.....0_o)
  • Adults didn't have to do anything all day when their kids were at school

Never really believed in Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc...(I played along, but always had my suspicions)

French Fries were from France

Evil things/creatures lurked in the dark

Christianity, heaven and hell, etc... Not saying there isn't a "god" or "afterlife" at all, just saying I outgrew Christianity. I'm agnostic.

Used to think buffet was pronounced buff-et.

Shaving makes facial hair regrow even quicker each time

That glass is a solid not a really viscous liquid.

That true perfection can be achieved.

That's all I can remember.

Confound my terrible memory. There's only a few I remember now... 

-Eating crusts made your hair curly

-The 'Daddies' brand of sauce was actually made by my dad

-My sister was swapped out at birth because she was ginger

Seriously, that last one, I don't even know where I got that idea. Might have been a dream I had once or something.

I still have my suspicions -__-

• Brohoof 1

I thought slavery was still a prominent thing in Egypt (what a terrible idea for a cultural stereotype!)

Oh my gosh I actually still believed this until I just read it.... oops.... Not that I have anything against Egypt! There is still slavery in like poor african countries so I assumed it was like that for Egypt. Hehe... derpy_emoticon2.png 

Anyways my list would be:

-Toads gave you warts

-When we left candy on St. Patty's Day and it was gone a Leprechaun had eaten it

-Adults were and have always been adults. They knew everything about everything (parents mainly)

-Horses were the only animals it was legal to ride on

-Chocolate milk came from brown cows

I used to think god was real and that the sun was a planet

Oh and Sandy Claws. I believed in him.

And Mew too. Not Mewtwo. Yeah I would play the mew cry hoping to see one

I really thought that God colored the moon, then colored it again for the sun. yea. Also, I thought that I could voluntarily grow my nails. on top of that, I thought that kids go to 1st grade when they are one, 2nd grade when they are 2, 3rd when they are 3, and so on until they went to college at age 13. Needless to say, I was dumb.

I don't know if these things have already been mentioned but here were some things that I kinda' believed as a kid:

• Picking your nose causes your head to cave-in
  • Sucking your thumb causes you to grow buck-teeth
  • If you swore, it literally made your mouth dirty (hence getting it washed with soap)
  • Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny were real

Among other things...

• Brohoof 1